Chris Leben test postitive for Stanzanol
Dave Meltzer is reporting...
Chris Leben became the first high-profile fighter suspended by the Ultimate Fighting Championships for failing a drug test, when results came back positive on Monday for the steroid Stanazolol in a test administered after his three-round loss to Michael Bisping on Oct. 18 in Birmingham, England.
The UFC suspended Leben for nine months and fined him one-third of his undisclosed fight purse.
Several UFC fighters, including champions like Tim Sylvia, Sean Sherk and Josh Barnett, had been suspended and forced to relinquish their championships after positive tests administered by both the Nevada and California State Athletic Commissions.
Because UFC events held in the United Kingdom are not under the auspices of a commission, the UFC’s vice president of regulatory affairs, Marc Ratner, who for years headed the Nevada commission, performs many of the duties normally associated with an athletic commission for those events.
“I am obviously disappointed with Chris, who has made great strides getting his life back on track,” said UFC president Dana White. “To his credit, he has taken responsibility for his actions and is accepting the punishment that has been handed down. But as always, the UFC puts the safety of its athletes first and foremost, and we won’t tolerate anyone using performance enhancing drugs in our organization.”
“I’ve really done everything I can to turn my life around,” said Leben.
“And this is a huge setback for me. But it’s something I will have to deal with. During my time off from fighting, I want to speak to kids about the dangers of using performance enhancing agents and let them know it just doesn’t get you ahead in life. Of course, this is a hard hit for me monetarily, but more so this is embarrassing for me and for all my fans.”
UFC tested all 22 fighters at UFC 89 both before and after their matches.
White said that Leben admitted to him using the drug, also known as Winstrol V, but believed it had enough time to clear his system. Leben, 18-5, one of the company’s most well-known fighters stemming from his appearance on the first season of Ultimate Fighter, said he used the drug shortly after his win over Alessio Sakara in March. While usually clearing your system in about three weeks, Stanazolol can show up in tests for several months.
Marcus Davis vs. Chris Lytle on tap for UFC 93
The worst kept secret of a fight now has a date.
UFC welterweights Marcus Davis (15-4 MMA, 7-2 UFC) and Chris Lytle (26-16-5 MMA, 5-8 UFC) have agreed to meet at UFC 93, and bout agreements for the fight have been distributed, sources close to both fighters told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).
The fight is expected to air on UFC 93's televised main card, which takes place Jan. 17 at The O2 in Dublin, Ireland.
The event airs on pay per view.
Davis and Lytle both spoke openly about wanting to fight each other even before they both competed last month at UFC 89. With victories from each fighter -- Davis submitted Paul Kelly, and Lytle stopped Paul Taylor with a unanimous-decision win -- the pieces fell in place for the bout.
As Davis first told TAGG Radio, MMAjunkie.com's official radio partner, in July, he and Lytle first discussed the fight earlier this year.
"Chris Lytle and I want to fight each other," Davis said at the time. "He's expressed that he wants to fight me. I've expressed that I want to fight him.
"We like each other, we respect each other, but we want to have that fight. And my pitch to Chris is, 'The first guy that starts grappling is a pussy, so let's not do that. Let's just stand up and just beat the hell out of each other. If we get in a clinching scenario, and somebody wants to throw somebody or whatever, go ahead and do it. But let's not try to finish it on the ground. Let's stand up, and let's bang it out.'"
Alves To Wait For Shot At GSP's Belt
For Alves, the seventh victory is the last step before a title shot. “I wanna get this belt and bring it to Brazil. The said that the winner of this fight would get a title shot, and now I have the option to wait (after Georges St. Pierre’s fight with BJ Penn) or do another fight, it’s my choice, but I think I’ll wait”, said Alves,
Denis Kang heading to the UFC
by Dann Stupp on Nov 03, 2008 at 11:20 am ET
The Ultimate Fighting Championship's middleweight division just got some depth and a potential new challenger for middleweight champion Anderson Silva.
Former PRIDE fighter and current SpiritMC champion Denis Kang has signed a four-fight deal with the UFC, American Top Team General Manager Richie Guerriero today confirmed with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).
Kang, 31, will likely make his octagon debut in early 2009.
"I just think timing wise, it was a good point in his career (to sign with the UFC)," Guerriero said. "He's always had his eye on the UFC, but with his commitment to SpiritMC, and with him fighting for PRIDE at the time, it just never happened."
Kang, a Canadian of Korean-French descent, was a top star with SpiritMC, a South Korean-based fight promotion. Kang won the organization's heavyweight (80+ kg) title in September 2004 and cited his desire to fight for the organization as a stumbling block in previous UFC negotiations.
"With the UFC being what it is, I think Denis knew it was a good time to get some exposure here in America," Guerriero said.
Although Guerriero didn't know the particulars of the deal, he said it would be unlikely for Kang to continue fighting for SpiritMC "just based on the way [the UFC] has always done things," he said.
Kang, the 2006 PRIDE welterweight grand prix runner-up, had emerged as a top-five-ranked middleweight during a 23-fight undefeated streak from April 2003 to November 2006. However, he then suffered three losses in a four-fight span, which included a first-round submission defeat to Gegard Mousasi in the opening round of the 2008 DREAM middleweight grand prix earlier this year.
However, Kang has since rebounded for back-to-back victories, which included a 48-second TKO of Marvin Eastman at an Oct. 25 Raw Combat event.
Jerry Bohlander: Where is He Now?
"September 11, 2001. I think that sums it up,” says former UFC light heavyweight Jerry Bohlander The 34-year-old Bohlander names that catastrophic day as the catalyst that took him from the world of mixed martial arts into law enforcement.
Matt Brown Steps In VS Ryan Thomas At UFC 91
Just days after MMAWeekly.com first reported that Matt Riddle would be forced out of his upcoming bout against Ryan Thomas at UFC 91, a replacement has been found as Matt Brown has been confirmed to step in on short notice.
Brown confirmed the fight to MMAWeekly.com on Saturday.
The last time Brown competed was at UFC 88 in Atlanta dropping a somewhat controversial decision to Korean fighter, Dong Hyun Kim.
The Cincinnati based fighter has recently been working with stablemates like Jorge Gurgel and Rich Franklin while taking time to work with MMA guru, Matt Hume, and his team of fighters in Washington.
Hume’s camp has become a hot spot over the past few months with fighters like Brown, Franklin, Gurgel, Jens Pulver, Spencer Fisher and Hayato Sakurai seeking out the longtime MMA trainer for his expertise.
Brown will now move onto the UFC 91 undercard to face newcomer Ryan Thomas with just about 2 weeks to go until fight time.
Karo Parisyan next fight likely against Dong Hyun ‘Stun Gun’ Kim at UFC 94
Karo Parisyan is penciled in to collide with Dong Hyun “Stun Gun” Kim (11-0-1) in a welterweight tilt at UFC 94, which is scheduled for the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada, on January 31, according to MMAWeekly.com.
Parisyan — who just signed a new eight-fight contract extension with the promotion — is currently recovering from an injury that forced him to withdraw from a fight against Yoshiyuki “Zenko” Yoshida at UFC 88: “Breakthrough” in September literally hours before showtime.
It was an unfortunate situation that was made more curious with his recent admission the he has been dealing with panic attacks — numerous fans claimed “The Heat” merely had a case of cold feet.
Regardless, the Armenian was stopped by rising star Thiago “Pitbull” Alves in the second round because of strikes in his most recent performance at UFC Fight Night 13. The typically gracious Parisyan was uncharacteristically sour on the stoppage, claiming that referee Steve Mazzagatti was premature in his decision to halt the bout.
Thales Leites Moving Closer To UFC Title Shot
Picking up his fifth win in the UFC last weekend by submitting Drew McFedries, Thales Leites also took one step closer towards realizing his dream of becoming middleweight champion.
When original opponent Goran Reljic was forced out of the bout with Leites due to an injury, McFedries stepped in on short notice to take the fight, but the bout was moved to the preliminary card as opposed to the main card as first slotted.
Was the change a disappointment to Leites who has been battling his way towards a title shot for some time now?
“Yes a little bit,” he admitted to MMAWeekly.com following the fight. “But they showed my fight anyways, that's okay.”
Chonan vs. Blackburn and Evensen vs. Barry added to finalized UFC 92 card
The Ultimate Fighting Championship has finalized its 10-bout card for UFC 92: The Ultimate 2008 on Dec. 27 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.
Already announced had been featured fights involving Forrest Griffin defending his UFC light heavyweight title vs. Rashad Evans, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira defending his interim UFC heavyweight title vs. Frank Mir, and Quinton “Rampage” Jackson facing off against Wanderlei Silva.
Two previously unannounced matchups for the non-televised preliminary portion of the card have been revealed, with Ryo Chonan taking on Brad Blackburn in a welterweight title and a clash of heavyweights between the returning Dan Evensen and debuting Pat Barry.
Also confirmed is a bout expected to air during the five-bout pay-per-view telecast between heavyweights Cheick Kongo and Mustapha Al-Turk.
The rest of the card will be filled out my matchups between C.B. Dollaway vs. Mike Massenzio, Yushin Okami vs. Dean Lister, Matt Hamill vs. Reese Andy, and Antoni Hardrock vs. Mark Burch.
Anthony Johnson on Kevin Burns, Steve Mazzagatti
Fighthype has an article up with Anthony Johnson in which he discusses his upcoming, and controversial previous, fight with Kevin Burns.
On the previous fight eye pokage outcome:
I was very surprised that they didn't overturn it. I don't know what they were thinking for not overturning it. If I was on steroids or some kind of illegal supplements or something like that, they would have been all over it, but the fact that I had surgery and my vision is clear and I didn't lose my eye, they're fine with that. Nothing seriously really happened. If I would've lost my vision, they would would've made something happen, but right now, they’re not worrying about nothing. They're trying to catch people that's on illegal stuff. They are thinking this is part of the sport and you get hurt like that, but it's more than just a sport. This is my life; this is my career. If something like that would've happened to Chuck Liddel, I guarantee you they would've been all over it, but it's me and, not saying that I'm a nobody, but you know what I'm saying. It is what it is and I'm not tripping.
Dana White ‘lukewarm’ to Anderson Silva vs Chuck Liddell
“I think the fight for Silva is one against Liddell on Jan. 31 at UFC 94 in Las Vegas. UFC president Dana White has been lukewarm on it so far, but it would be a fun battle and it certainly would be a fight that would have Silva motivated…. [White] didn’t seem all that interested. I had talked with him about it in a private phone conversation about 10 days earlier and he was no more interested in it then. I’m not saying it won’t happen, just that Dana doesn’t seem enthused by the idea”
Yahoo!Sports reporter Kevin Iole talks about Dana White’s reaction to a potential showdown between UFC Middleweight Champion Anderson Silva and Chuck Liddell in a 205-pound showdown. “The Spider” has just five fights left possibly in his career, which means that the promotion will likely try and get the most out of its most talented fighter before he exits stage left. He recently topped Patrick Cote at UFC 90: “Silva vs. Cote” on October 25 because of a freak knee injury that prevented the Canadian from continuing; however, Silva’s performance was puzzling and received an avalanche of criticism. As a result, he is eager to return to competition as soon as possible to prove that it was just an aberration and not an indication of his ability or representative of his respect for his opponents and the sport. Liddell has lost three of his last four fights, but is still perhaps the most recognized fighter on the roster, making a fight between Silva and Liddell more than likely a huge money maker. “The Iceman” is really the only high profile 205-pound fighter who is available to compete anytime soon besides maybe Keith Jardine.
Matt Riddle Out of UFC 91 Bout Due To Injury
The welterweight debut of former “Ultimate Fighter” 185-pound cast member Matt Riddle will have to wait. He has suffered a knee injury that will force him out of his upcoming bout against Ryan Thomas on the undercard of UFC 91 on Nov. 15.
Riddle’s injury was confirmed to MMAWeekly.com by sources close to the situation.
Riddle made a great impression on fans during his time on The Ultimate Fighter and after the show wrapped up filming, he relocated to Arizona to train alongside former housemate C.B. Dollaway at Arizona Combat Sports.
In his first official fight in the UFC, Riddle won a decisive unanimous decision over Dante Rivera at The Ultimate Fighter finale show in June.
For the fight in November, Riddle was cutting weight and making his 170-pound debut, but during training for the bout the young fighter fell victim to a knee injury that will likely require surgery and could keep him on the shelf for the better part of six to eight weeks.
No word has come down from the UFC about a possible replacement to step in for Riddle to take on Ryan Thomas at this time.
Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for more information on this fight as it becomes available.
Cheick Kongo and C.B. Dollaway part of finalized UFC 92 main card
The UFC 92 card now includes:
Champ Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira vs. Frank Mir (for interim UFC heavyweight title)
Champ Forrest Griffin vs. Rashad Evans (for UFC light heavyweight title)
C.B. Dollaway vs. Mike Massenzio
Quinton Jackson vs. Wanderlei Silva
Mustafa Al-Turk vs. Cheick Kongo
Dean Lister vs. Yushin Okami
Mark Burch vs. Antoni Hardonk
Reese Andy vs. Matt Hamill
Brad Blackburn vs. Ryo Chonan
Pat Berry vs. Dan Evensen
JUNIE BROWNING REFORMS AT XTREME COUTURE
Junie Browning, who has become this season’s public enemy No. 1 on "The Ultimate Fighter” reality show, has decided to pick up his training schedule and work with Xtreme Couture. Representatives of the gym confirmed the news to MMAWeekly.com on Wednesday.
Nate Diaz Done For '08, Maybe Back At UFC 94
Although there were earlier reports that Nate Diaz likely would fight at the upcoming UFN in December, Diaz is now off and likely is done for the year. Nate's opponent-to-have-been, Clay Guida, is off due to a foot injury and so Nate won't fight at all. He may return at UFC 94 according to GracieFighter.com.
Filho Ready For UFC MW Title Run When Silva Retires
After his final WEC Middleweight Title defense next week, Paulo Filho is looking forward to moving to UFC and making a run at the UFC Middleweight Title...but not until current champion Anderson Silva is retired. Filho still says he doesn't want a Silva fight either.
Lesnar Didn't Want Mazzagatti As Ref For UFC 91 Fight
Although it was already announced that Mario Yamazaki would referee the Randy Couture-Brock Lesnar fight at UFC 91, it's now been revealed that part of that choice was because of Lesnar. He specifically asked the NSAC not to choose Steve Mazzagatti to ref the fight partly because he reffed Lesnar's fight against Frank Mir. Wish granted.