Spike TV to air UFC 104 prelim fights of Bader vs. Schafer, Hardonk vs. Barry on Oct. 24
In what MMA fans will surely hope is sign of things to come, Spike TV today announced it'll air two fights from the UFC 104 preliminary card before the event's main card goes live on pay-per-view.
The two bouts chosen for free viewing are "The Ultimate Fighter 8" light heavyweight winner Ryan Bader (9-0 MMA, 2-0 UFC) vs. Eric Schafer (11-3-2 MMA, 3-2 UFC) and Antoni Hardonk (8-5 MMA, 4-3 UFC) vs. fellow heavyweight Patrick Barry (4-1 MMA, 1-1 UFC).
UFC 104, headlined by UFC light heavyweight champion Lyoto Machida vs. Mauricio "Shogun" Rua, takes place Oct. 24 at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, and the one-hour Spike TV broadcast kicks off at 9 p.m. ET/PT.
Strangely, though, while Bader vs. Schafer and Hardonk vs. Barry were chosen for the broadcast, a fight between Yushin Okami (23-4 MMA, 7-1 UFC) and Chael Sonnen (23-10-1 MMA, 2-3 UFC) remains on the un-aired portion of the card. Okami is a longtime middleweight contender who's only career UFC loss came via close decision to former champ Rich Franklin in 2007. However, many criticize the fighter for a lackluster fighting style that often leads to decisions.
Bader most recently fought in an April win over Carmelo Marrero at UFC Fight Night 18. The Arizona Combat Sports-trained fighter injured his knee in the contest, tearing both his MCL and PCL. It was the "TUF" champion's first bout since defeating Vinicius Magalhaes at The Ultimate Fighter 8 Finale in December 2008, Bader's first official contest in the UFC. Bader has won all nine of his professional fights, seven of them by stoppage.
His opponent, Schafer, is in his second stint with the UFC. After back-to-back losses to Stephan Bonnar and Michael Bisping in 2006 and 2007, "Red" earned two wins in the Wisconsin-based Gladiators Cage Fighting organization. Now back in the UFC, he has since defeated Antonio Mendes and Houston Alexander to run his current win streak to four bouts.
Hardonk, meanwhile, most recently suffered a defeat via TKO to Cheick Kongo at UFC 97 in April. The loss snapped a three-fight win streak for the Dutch striker, a run that included victories over Mike Wessel, Eddie Sanchez and Colin Robinson.
Barry also looks to bounce back from a loss, which was the first of the former kickboxer's MMA career. After earning four-straight wins to open his career, which included a first-round TKO of Dan Evensen, Barry suffered a submission loss to Tim Hague in May at UFC 98.
The UFC and Spike TV first used the teaser-fight setup last month for UFC 103 in Dallas. The Sept. 19 broadcast, which featured Efrain Escudero vs. Cole Miller and Tomasz Drwal vs Drew McFedries, drew 1.4 million viewers (1.0 rating) and was the No. 2 rated program in the coveted 18-to-34 year old male demographic.
Following UFC 103, UFC president Dana White told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) he wasn't sure if the organization would use other Spike TV/PPV tandem cards in the future. However, the organization apparently will do so with its first opportunity. Still, it's not known if this will be a standard setup for future cards or simply a matter of the UFC again gathering data.
Regardless, Spike TV officials said the broadcast will air commercial-free.
The full UFC 103 card includes:
MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view)
•Champ Lyoto Machida vs. Mauricio "Shogun" Rua (for light-heavyweight title)
•Ben Rothwell vs. Cain Velasquez
•Josh Neer vs. Gleison Tibau
•Spencer Fisher vs. Joe Stevenson
•Anthony Johnson vs. Yoshiyuki Yoshida
PRELIMINARY CARD (Spike TV)
•Ryan Bader vs. Eric Schafer
•Patrick Barry vs. Antoni Hardonk
PRELIMINARY CARD (Not televised)
•Yushin Okami vs. Chael Sonnen
•Rob Kimmons vs. Jorge Rivera
•Razak Al-Hassan vs. Kyle Kingsbury
•Stefan Struve vs. Chase Gormley
For complete coverage of UFC 104, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of MMAjunkie.com.
UFC planning to make Australian debut in February at Sydney's Acer Arena
The Ultimate Fighting Championship will soon head to Australia.
The UFC, which has never previously previously hosted an event on the continent nation, has contacted the Combat Sports Authority about holding a show at Acer Arena in Sydney Olympic Park, according to The Sydney Morning Herald.
Frank Trigg actually first told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) about the possibility of the Australia event last month and said he hoped to compete on the card.
No date has been nailed down for the show.
Junior Dos Santos Versus Gabriel Gonzaga in UFC Heavyweight Matchup
A matchup between Fighters.com’s seventh-ranked heavyweight “Cigano” Junior dos Santos (9-1) and former UFC title challenger “Napão” Gabriel Gonzaga (11-4) is in the works, Fighters.com has confirmed with a source close to one of the fighters.
Fighters.com hasn’t confirmed the date of the fight and no contracts are signed. If the matchup is in December, it’s likely to occur at UFC 107 at the FedExForum in Memphis December 12. However, according to unconfirmed reports, that card is already stacked with pay-per-view quality matchups. UFC 108 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas January 2 and is also a likely event for the matchup.
Mir "extremely interested" in fight with "The Spider," open to rematch with Nogueira
SAN ANTONIO – Frank Mir (12-4 MMA, 10-4 UFC) may be currently planning to fight Cheick Kongo at UFC 107 in December, but the French striker isn't the only opponent on the former UFC champ's mind.
In fact, lessons learned in his UFC 100 loss to Brock Lesnar have led Mir to express his desire to face middleweight champ Anderson Silva in a previously rumored heavyweight superfight.
"I'm extremely interested in the fight," Mir said at Friday's post-WEC 43 weigh-in Q&A session. "I've learned that size helps people win fights. It would be nice to be on the other end of that."
Mir didn't discount the danger that Silva presents to any opponent, but he did consider himself a pretty clear-cut favorite should the bout materialize.
UFC 108 - Rashad Evans vs. Thiago Silva signed for Vegas
UFC light heavyweight champion, Rashad Evans and Brazilian bad boy, Thiago Silva have put pen to paper and made official their fight at UFC 108.
Evans will look to rebound from a loss for the first time in his mixed martial arts career after dropping the title to Lyoto Machida at UFC 98 back in May. As for Silva, he managed to bounce back from his own loss to Machida in January to knockout Keith Jardine in August.
UFC 108 is set to be headlined by the middleweight clash between UFC champion, Anderson “The Spider” Silva and “The Phenom” Vitor Belfort.
Mike Swick blasts Paul Daley
Mike ‘Quick’ Swick has blasted Paul ‘Semtex’ Daley via Twitter in the latest round of a war of words that has developed between the pair. Daley has been talking up a fight with Swick since standing in for him against Martin Kampmann at UFC 103. Swick is not impressed.
“Daley you are delusional saying I started this trash talk. Immediately after you beat Kampmann you said you would knock me out in 1 round,” he wrote. “You know how many guys have said that? Everyone I have fought. Your own people say Hardy is better than you so we will see November 14th.”
“Quit trying to make a name off talking trash to me and go earn it. Koscheck needs an opponent now, ask for that one if your so tough,” Swick concluded.
Mirko Cro Cop Still Coping with his Loss to Junior Dos Santos, Will Finish his UFC Contract
"I was very, very disturbed after the loss to Dos Santos. I was in such a state that I wished to hang myself in my hotel room so I would be gone. Three losses in my last seven fights is nothing but a disaster to me. That’s a terrible score and I’m not happy about it"
"I already know some things that I did wrong both in the fight and in the preparation for the fight, but there are many questions that remain to be answered. I am seriously thinking about hiring a psychiatrist to help me out. I have already made some calls about it."
King of the Cage champ Joker Guymon realizes UFC dream
King of the Cage welterweight titleholder Michael "The Joker" Guymon relinquished his belt and signed a four-fight deal with the Ultimate Fighting Championship. For the 35-year-old fighter it was a dream come true.
"It was just because the whole dream I had," Guymon told MMAWeekly.com. "I started out this sport looking at it on the couch in high school watching UFC 1. I wanted to be there, and now that I'm there it's like, wow. I can't believe it.
"It's been such a long, hard road."
Grove vs. Rosholt, Others Added To UFC 106
Several previously rumored additions to the UFC 106 card are now official today. Kendall Grove vs. Jake Rosholt has been added to the prelims, while Karo Parisyan vs. Dustin Hazelett and Jon Fitch vs. Ricardo Almeida are now official for the PPV. This likely fills out the PPV card with Luis Cane vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira expected on PPV but not yet announced by UFC.
Dan Lauzon vs Cole Miller Agreed for UFC 108
"A lightweight match has been added to the UFC 108 undercard. Dan Lauzon makes his return to the Octagon to face American Top Team fighter Cole Miller.
The bout was confirmed to MMAWeekly.com on Friday by sources close to the fight. Both fighters have verbally agreed to the bout.
Lauzon (12-2) will compete on the UFC 108 card alongside his brother, Joe Lauzon, who will face Sam Stout. Dan, the younger of the two, last appeared in the UFC in 2006. At just 18 years of age, he lost to Spencer Fisher."
Mir picks Carwin, wants Lesnar rubber match
Frank Mir made it clear that he is set on breaking the 1-1 deadlock he has with UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar Friday during a Q and A session for fans after the WEC weigh-ins in San Antonio, Texas.
However, the former UFC heavyweight champion said he believed the pair wouldn’t be fighting for the belt should their third encounter happen in the near future. Mir told the crowd that he felt Shane Carwin would defeat Lesnar in their main event bout at UFC 106 on Nov. 21 in Las Vegas. Noting Carwin’s strength, Mir stated that he did not believe Lesnar would be able to bully Carwin the way he did to him at UFC 100 last July.
Ben Rothwell Living on the Edge of a Dream
"Had it not been for therapy, Ben Rothwell might never have found MMA.
He fought plenty outside the ring, lashing out at a suddenly uncertain world as a 17-year-old in Kenosha, Wis. In a short period, he had lost his grandmother on his mom’s side, his grandfather on his father’s side, and his best friend. His grades started to slip. His parents were going to kick him out of the house."
UFC 103 drug tests come back clean
The six fighters, including headliners Vitor Belfort and Rich Franklin, who underwent drug testing last month at UFC 103 all passed their tests.
UFC Vice President of Regulatory Affairs Marc Ratner confirmed the results with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) and said a total of six competitors were tested.
As staff writer Steve Sievert detailed in a piece prior to the Sept. 19 event, the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation, which oversees MMA regulation in the state, does not routinely drug test competitors and only did so at UFC 103 because UFC officials requested it.
Minotoro Nogueira Wants Rua Rematch
In a recent interview with the TATAME website, Antonio Rogerio Nogueira already knows who he wants after his UFC debut against Luis Cane at UFC 106-Mauricio Rua. They first fought in PRIDE in 2005 where Rua won by decision. “Shogun is a great fighter, a great champion, and he was in the best shape of his career. He has his merits, in the end of the fight I tried to get his back... It could be different, but that’s ok. I’d like to do this fight again”, Nogueira guarantees, revealing that he’ll become a father soon. “I’ll fight now for my daughter’s milk (laughs)”.
Q&A with UFC president Dana White
Irrepressible UFC president Dana White paid a visit to Yahoo! Sports recently and sat down for a talk on a wide range of subjects, from his opinion on Kimbo Slice to whether he wants his children to become fighters to which WEC fight he most wants to see. Here’s a transcript of the conversation:
Dave Doyle: We heard your video blog was coming back.
Dana White: I’m the Brett Favre of video blogging. I don’t know who’s retired and come back more times, me or him.
I live a pretty crazy lifestyle. You tuned into my video blogs and there’s jets and there’s cars and I’m making big-money bets with guys and [expletive] around with my friends and having fun.
Everyone loved the video blogs, but some people started writing letters like, “I’m about to lose my home.” I got letters like “Me and my daughters are going out on the street, and you’re betting more money on who can last on a treadmill for five minutes than I’ll make in two months.” It’s kind of like, “Whoa,” like a slap to me and slaps me back to reality, that people are hurting out there. It really messed me up for awhile. Three years ago, my video blogs would have been fun because everyone was making money and everything was great, the unemployment rate was down.
More From Dave DoyleRankings: Reinstatement for McCarthy? Sep 24, 2009 ADVERTISEMENT
DD: So why did you bring it back?
DW: Everyone has been messaging me, everyone wants me to bring the video blogs back, from fans to [UFC co-owner] Lorenzo [Fertitta], these things pull a quarter-million hits just on YouTube. My video blog rates higher than most television shows do.
I’m just going to be more conscious of what goes up there. I’m not trying to run around and flaunt my life, “Oh, look at this and look at that,” I just want it to be fun.
The reality is, behind the scenes (footage) isn’t all that exciting. I’m not going around 24 hours a day shooting craps on the corner with guys. I’m sitting in my car going to the next [expletive] interview. How much of that can you watch?
There were times when you’d look on my blogs and there would be comments, “Hey douchebag, put the fighters on here instead of you.” At the end of the day, I’m a fight promoter. My job is to go out, make it interesting and entertaining for the people, do anything I can to promote the fight. People got into the blog and there was this awareness that I was going out and doing all the stuff for the fight on Saturday. But for Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, it’s not like all [expletive] excitement and I’m doing [expletive] that you want to watch on YouTube.
Matt Serra's Road Back to UFC Welterweight Title Begins in February
If you're wondering why Matt Serra hasn't been booked to fight since his UFC 98 clash against rival Matt Hughes in May, it's not because he's been injured or taking the loss too hard. No, Serra has simply been busy working on his new 83,000 square foot MMA gym that will be opening soon.
"It's going to be a beautiful martial arts facility," Serra told FanHouse on Thursday. "It's going to be the best one on Long Island, that's for sure."
Rumor: Cole Miller vs. Dan Lauzon At UFC 108
Although it hasn't been confirmed yet, there are reports that Cole Miller vs. Dan Lauzon is in the works for UFC 108 in January. MixedMartialArts.com reports paperwork has been sent out but other sources could not immediately confirm the fight. This would be Dan Lauzon's first fight in a while due to Affliction's demise and injuries and would allow him to fight on the same card as brother Joe.
UFC Signs KOTC Welterweight Mike Guymon
First UFC had an "Ace" in it's deck, and now it has a "Joker". KOTC Welterweight Mike "Joker" Guymon, the promotion's current Welterweight Champion, has signed an 18-month multi-fight deal with UFC. No debut date set for the 11-2-1 Guymon.
If Rampage Wants To Act, He Should Act Like A (Expletive) Coach (No TUF Spoilers)
That was the opinion this past week of current TUF 10 contestant Zak Jensen. In a guest blog he's doing for Cagewriter (Yahoo Sports MMA blog), Jensen took aim at coach Quinton "Rampage" Jackson and his coaching staff for the lack of support for Demico Rogers before, during and after his loss to Brendan Schaub on this week's episode. Jensen also noted that Rampage made excuses including a restaurant being packed and reading books on acting.