Caol Uno's UFC return likely to come vs. Spencher Fisher at UFC 99
A source close to the negotiations today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that former UFC lightweight contender and recent DREAM fighter Caol Uno (27-11-4 MMA, 3-3-1 UFC) will take on UFC veteran Spencer Fisher (22-4 MMA, 7-3 UFC) at the June event.
Verbal agreements are in place, and the fight is expected to be finalized shortly, the source said.
Wilson Gouveia: "I Don't Need Ten Punches to Put Someone Away. I Just Need One."
CagePotato.com: Thanks for talking with me, Wilson. How is your preparation coming for the fight with Nate Marquardt?
The training has been very intense. I’m taking this fight very seriously. I think it’s going to be the most important fight of my career so far. Right now I feel very good. I’m in great condition, no injuries, just ready to go.
Are you doing anything specifically to prepare for him?
Not really, to tell the truth. In all my fights I try to be prepared for everything. With Nate it’s no different. He’s a pretty well-rounded fighter. He’s good at everything. I have to try and be prepared for the worst-case scenario. He’s a good wrestler. He’s got better takedowns than me. I’ve been training a lot of jiu-jitsu off my back, a lot of stand-up.
I think he’s good in everything, but I don’t think he’s great in anything. I think his jiu-jitsu is good, but it’s not amazing. His wrestling, I think, is his greatest strength. But even with that, I don’t think he’s the best wrestler in the UFC. His striking is good, but if you watch his last fight with [Martin] Kampmann, he spent like ten or more punches to put him away. I really don’t need ten punches to put someone away. I just need one.
You were on a good roll in the UFC until your loss to Goran Reljic. What do you think went wrong for you in that fight?
What happened in that fight, that not many people know because it happened behind the scenes, was an argument between my coaches and his agent. I made a huge mistake after that and treated that fight like a personal problem. And I have no problem whatsoever with any fighter. But I tried to punish the guy and put him away. When I was on the top throwing punches I gave everything that I had. So when we both stood up again I was tired. I tried to rest for a second and that’s when he threw a hook or something that caught me. When you use those small gloves, anything can hurt you.
Steve Bruno Latest Victim Of UFC Roster Cuts
American Top Team welterweight Steve ‘Hollywood’ Bruno (12-5-0) appears to have become the latest casualty in a round of roster cuts that the UFC is engaged in.
His listing was removed from the UFC.com site earlier today and sources contacted by Fighters Only said the he has been dropped, although neither the UFC nor ATT has officially confirmed this at time of writing.
Dan Hardy Ready For UFC 95 Homestand
UFC 95 rolls into view on Feb. 21 at the O2 Arena in London. One fighter who is absolutely chomping at the bit is British welterweight standout Dan Hardy.
“I know this is going to sound like a cliché, but I am in much better shape now than ever before. I was in better shape a week ago than I was in my last fight against Akihiro Gono, and I thought I was in great condition for that one,” explains Hardy, adding that his camp has been more homegrown this time round.
To get titleshot, Machida cheers for Jardine
"I'm cheering for Jardine, but I think that Quinton is stronger, hits harder... I think Quinton is the favorite. I think I’ll have to wait a bit more", recognizes the fighter, who expects to make another fight over this period. "I could do one more fight, but only if they (UFC) give me a good opponent, a man with strong name. I don’t want to go down again. All that the UFC putted, I always joined, but now is time for me to start to ask a bit too".
The only thing standing between Wilson Gouveia and Anderson Silva is Nate Marquardt
“I have a lot of respect for Nate Marquardt. He is a great fighter who always trains really hard and always leaves his all inside the Octagon. After the champion, Anderson Silva, he’s the best fighter in the division. In my eyes he’s the number one contender, so a win over him would be huge. I’ve been training harder than ever for this fight. I’m focused on Marquardt and not looking past him at all. He’s a very tough fighter, but once I beat him I don’t see anybody between me and Anderson Silva. He’s next as far as I’m concerned.”
16 Questions for Don Frye
With his emergence on the scene at UFC 8 in 1996, Don Frye made an indelible mark upon the mixed martial arts world, both for his fighting prowess and unique style. Rooted in a collegiate wrestling background that included stints at high-level programs at Arizona State and Oklahoma State, Frye utilized a different kind of game than those with his pedigree at the time. He had a better understanding of jiu-jitsu, could operate from his back and did not shy away from trading blows on the feet, even when seemingly outgunned.
His arrival signaled the prototype of what would later become the standard -- the well-rounded mixed martial artist capable of competing effectively at any range, in any position -- and his career in the UFC and Pride Fighting Championships marked him as one of the game’s most entertaining fighters to watch. Carrying a record of 19-7-1 (1 NC), “The Predator” locked horns with some of biggest names of his era, including Mark Coleman, Ken Shamrock and David "Tank" Abbott. Whether it was his thrilling street-style brawl against Abbott in which he won the Ultimate Ultimate in 1996 or his blood-soaked, gutty technical knockout loss to Mark Coleman at UFC 10, Frye always gave fans more than their money’s worth. He currently resides in Tucson, Ariz.
Q: You’ve tried acting lately, appearing in a few productions. How do you like it so far?
A: I’ve made a couple movies. Earlier this year, I made “Public Enemies” and just got done with a small role in a movie called “Number 13” with Jason Statham and Mickey Rourke. It was a pretty good experience.
Q: You’re a fighter. They’re actors. What was it like meeting and working with them?
A: They’re a bunch of good guys. Hell, they’re real polite … just regular old boys. Acting is their job.
Q: Rourke had a few pro fights. Did you guys talk about the fight game?
A: We sat there and swapped stories. Rouke’s a good ole boy. I really like him. “Godzilla” was my first acting experience. I pretty much was just thrown in there as one of the leads. I played Kevin Douglas Gordon, the captain of a flying submarine. He was gonna try and save the planet.
Nate Marquardt on Anderson Silva loss: "Best thing that happened for me"
The specter of Anderson Silva is, in some ways, haunting Nate Marquardt.
"People are asking more about the fight coming up," Marquardt told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) during a day of interviews leading into his main-card middleweight fight at Saturday's UFC 95 event. "But I haven't talked to anyone who hasn't asked about a title shot."
That's the line Marquardt is walking. On one side, the eight-fight UFC veteran is continuing his 10-year career that made him a Japanese champion before leading him to a successful run in the U.S. On the other side is Silva, the daunting UFC champion who gave Marquardt his most notable, most motivating and most educational UFC bout in July 2007.
The focus on the present is sometimes skewed by a strong desire for another shot at the middleweight crown.
This week, though, Marquardt won't think much about "The Spider." His attention is on Wilson Gouveia (12-5 MMA, 6-2 UFC), whom he will meet at The O2 in London, England. Gouveia, after all, is a Brazilian who is difficult to study because he is dropping to 185 pounds for the first time.
White confirms UFC 100 to Las Vegas, St. Pierre vs. Alves likely
As first reported by Yahoo! Sports in January, UFC President Dana White has confirmed that UFC 100 will take place in July in Las Vegas.
White confirmed the location of the historic event during a recent interview with Canadian radio network CKAC Sports 730-AM.
White also indicated UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre (18-2 MMA, 12-2 UFC) will be defending his title at the event.
Couture's future still unclear, is it Big Nog, Cro Cop or Fedor?
Randy Couture was back in the gym this week as he attempts to comeback from elbow surgery and prep for what looks like a fight sometime during the summer. Couture was offered a match against Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira sometime in the spring but "The Natural" elected to have bone spurs cleaned out of his elbow.
The logical spot is UFC 99 in Germany. Couture spent time in Germany and minored in German in college. To have a German speaking superstar fighting on the card would be huge for the promotion but now it's a matter of timing. Couture is set to leave in March for a seven week stint with his role in Sly Stallone's movie "The Expendables". That may take him into the middle of May making a June fight very difficult. A six or eight week training camp is impossible at that point.
Marquardt hones his game with age
Three days before his 20th birthday, Nate Marquardt made his professional debut as a professional mixed martial arts fighter, competing on World Vale Tudo card in Durango, Colo.
Only four years before that night, he was a scrawny, 100-pound 15-year-old whose dreams of professional greatness seemed merely fantasy.
It was a naïve and optimistic teen who submitted Mike Lee on that card in Durango on April 17, 1999, beginning a career in which he’d go on to become one of the icons of his sport. He was naturally gifted, but he didn’t know how much he didn’t know regarding the sport he was about to make his life’s work.
Nearly a decade later, it’s a wiser, stronger and, yes, older Nate Marquardt who will step into the cage at UFC 95 at the O2 Arena in London on Feb. 21 to face Wilson Gouveia.
Matt Arroyo added to list of UFC roster trimmings
Despite his status as a talented welterweight prospect, potential alone was not enough to keep Matt Arroyo employed by the Ultimate Fighting Championship.
FiveOuncesOfPain.com has confirmed that the Rob Kahn-trained fighter was released from the promotion soon after his split decision loss to Dan Cramer during last month’s UFC 94 event. The bout served as Cramer’s professional debut.
War Machine vs Guillaume de Lorenzi at XMMA on Feb. 27 with Phil Baroni out
XMMA: “Inferno,” which is scheduled for the CEPSUM Amphitheater in Montreal, Canada, on Feb. 27 will have a new main event because Phil Baroni (13-10) had to withdraw from a welterweight showdown against undefeated prospect Guillaume de Lorenzi (5-0).
Filling in for the “New York Bad Ass” will be The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) season six alum War Machine (6-2), formerly known as Jon Koppenhaver. War Machine has been in the headlines quite a few times over the past few months … and not necessarily for good reasons.
Demian Maia is not better than Anderson Silva …
… but he thinks he can still beat him:
“I think my jiu jitsu would give me a very big advantage [against Anderson Silva}. Jiu jitsu is very effective in MMA and vale tudo. I have superior jiu jitsu and I think I would bring that to the fight. But Anderson is, to me, the best fighter in the world. He’s very well rounded, very complete, very hard to beat. He has more experience than I have. But I know I would like to challenge him. I can’t wait….
UFC 95: No Weighty Concerns For Neil Grove
Neil Grove is wearing a fresh coat of eye shadow, courtesy of a light heavyweight at Xtreme Couture who plastered him during sparring last week. It was his first trip to the conveyor belt of Las Vegas talent, his visible memento of learning.
The 7-1 heavyweight is scheduled to make his UFC debut against Mike Ciesnolevicz at UFC 95. Grove’s original opponent, Justin McCully, was forced from the bout by a cut injury.
UFC 100 Lands In Vegas: GSP Likely Headliner
Ever since his defeat of B.J. Penn at UFC 94 at the end of January, Georges St. Pierre and his camp has been mired in a quagmire of debate over his cornermen's use of Vaseline in between rounds.
Now, he will likely have more to talk about than petroleum jelly.
UFC president Dana White was the guest on a recent Montreal-based radio show on CKAC Sports 730AM to discuss his promotion's own controversial issues regarding the Quebec Athletic Commission's new interpretation of its own rules putting UFC 97 in jeopardy. While on the show, the juggernaught kingpin revealed his part of his plan for his promotion as it hits the century mark in numbered events.
"I'm pretty confident that UFC 100 will have Georges St. Pierre on the card," he told the host of the program on CKAC. "UFC 100 will more than likely have Georges St. Pierre defending his welterweight title."