Jonathan Goulet Returns At UFC 113
"The Road Warrior" is headed to home turf for his Octagon return. UFC fighter Jonathan Goulet, out of action since December 2008 due to injury, will return to action at UFC 113 in Canada. Opponent and placement on card TBA.
Moving forward: Shogun Rua to start training in January for second battle with Lyoto Machida
“I no longer think [about UFC 104] and can’t live from it anymore. I must only think on the next fight that’s going to be a battle. I was glad with my performance but not with the outcome. I wanted the win but this is past for me. Actually I don’t know what criteria was taken in account for that fight. I just know they (judges) used it in favor of Lyoto. [Machida] is a tough guy and I already expected a complicated fight against him. In fact, he has been fighting for over ten years, so that, I think it’s difficult for him to change something now. He has done what he does well along his whole life, so as it’s also hard for me to change my game.”
*let's go Shogun..they say you need to beat the champ to be the champ(B.S.) ..i hope you knock Machida the f*** out..so Cecil doesn't f*** you again...
Jon Jones Asks NSAC For Reversal Of Decision
“At minimum, Mr. Hamill should have had (an) opportunity to clearly understand what was being asked of him and given the ability to respond,” the letter states. “If allowed this basic right, we believe, based on Mr. Hamill’s own admission, that his shoulder injury would have precluded him from continuing, not the perceived foul.”Ciatoli and Marino said the vision-blurring cuts were caused by 23 legal elbows that Jones landed from the mount position, not the illegal blows.The complaint asks the NSAC to schedule a hearing on the matter in the event that the decision is not changed.
*this should be turned over to a NC..as they state in the letter everything is true..the shoulder woulda been the cause of Hamill ability to not continue to fight..and illegal blows would of meant that Mario should of give Hamill time to recover..point in being Mario F'd up again..don't think this guy is gonna be with the UFC much longer..later Mario...
UFC Signs Top 205-Pound Prospect, Former NCAA Champ Phil Davis
With the war for MMA talent heating up lately, the importance of every signing has become magnified. The UFC has captured the latest prized recruit, signing former four-time collegiate wrestling All-American and undefeated pro fighter Phil Davis to a multi-fight deal, according to his manager Chad Dubin.
"We signed him yesterday to a UFC contract and we expect to have a date for his first fight soon," Dubin wrote in an email to FanHouse.
The ex-Penn State star, who won the 197-pound NCAA National Championship in 2008 and started his pro career months later, is 4-0 in his brief stretch as a pro, and has been considered one of the sport's true blue-chip prospects since his debut.
Lorenzo Fertitta: 140,000 People Viewed UFC 106 Illegally
UFC co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta testified Wednesday at a House Judiciary Committee hearing on piracy of live sports broadcasting over the Internet, and he said the UFC is potentially losing tens of millions of dollars because people are illegally streaming UFC pay-per-views online.
"Just last month, the broadcast of UFC 106 from the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas, Nevada, had over 271 unauthorized streams with over 140,000 views, and those are only the ones that our anti-piracy team and consultants identified," Fertitta told the committee. "There were likely more streams that we simply couldn't find."
With UFC, WEC On Versus, PPVs To Remain Split
While the UFC and WEC will now both host live events on Versus, don't expect the two companies to share talent anytime soon. Despite longstanding reports, rumors and requests for a potential merge between the two Zuffa, LLC-owned fight promotions, UFC president Dana White today said not to read too much into the fact that both organizations will now share a broadcast partner. And when asked specifically if WEC talent would ever be featured on the same card as that of the UFC's, White had a simple answer. "No."
Execs says Versus to air UFC Fight Night-type events; move to NBC possible?
The two Ultimate Fighting Championship events that air on Versus in 2010 will likely be UFC Fight Night broadcasts similar to those on Spike TV, UFC president Dana White today said.
In a media conference call, White and Versus executive Marc Fein today discussed the finer points of a deal announced earlier this week. It calls for two 2010 UFC events to air on Versus, which also airs shows from the UFC's sister promotion, World Extreme Cagefighting.
No UFC events have been selected for Versus just yet, nor have company executives determined which days of the week the events will air.
However, White assured it won't be a second-rate event.
James Toney Still Wants to Fight in the UFC, Still Out of His Damn Mind
“I met up with Dana. He was cool and said we could do business. We exchanged numbers and I texted him all night, ‘Don’t forget chicken ****!’ But I was sitting behind Chuck Liddell and I could tell he was uncomfortable with my presence. …I think I can break records with the UFC. I would fight Kimbo Slice, Chuck Liddell, or Randy Couture. Brock Lesnar, too. He could get it and we would do a ton of buys.”
Palhares: “I can do even better”
Winning for the third time in the UFC, Rousimar “Toquinho” Palhares finished the fight against Lúcio Linhares with his favorite move: attacking the foot. “The fight was good, I won, what’s most important”, Rousimar celebrates, on United States, talking to TATAME.com by phone.
Spike TV To Air 10 Prelim PPV Teasers In '10
After three successful broadcasts in 2009, Spike TV officials today announced the cable station will air a total of 10 preliminary-card specials prior to UFC pay-per-view events in 2010. The one-hour specials, now dubbed "UFC Prelim," feature between two and four bouts from the un-aired preliminary cards of each pay-per-view event. The first 2 installments will be prior to UFC 108 & UFC 109, the rest TBA.
TUF 10 Finale Drug Tests: All Clean
The TUF 10 Finale was officially a drug-free zone. NSAC Executive Director Keith Kizer today announced that 9 fighters on the event were tested for drugs after the event, and all passed. Both main event fighters, Roy Nelson and Brendan Schaub, were tested, as were undercard fighters Matt Hamill, Jon Jones, Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson, Frankie Edgar, Matt Mitrione, John Howard and Mark Bocek.
Cain Velasquez Has Too Much Respect For Big Nog
And the fast-rising UFC Heavyweight even says so. In a recent newspaper interview on his UFC 110 fight against Minotauro Nogueira, he's quoted as saying "It's going to be a tough fight. Minotauro is one of the best. He is always hard and you can never underestimate him. Even while he is losing, always finds a way to invert the situation and finish the bout. I have too much respect for him. I watched The Ultimate Fighter in which he was one of the coaches and I respect him as a person and for the legend he is in this sport."
Brandon 'The Truth' Vera Vs Jon 'Bones' Jones At UFC Fight Night 21, March 31, Denver, Colorado
An ankle injury has forced recent UFC addition Antonio Rogerio Nogueira out of a planned bout with fellow light heavyweight Brandon Vera (11-4 MMA, 7-4 UFC) on Feb. 6 at UFC 109.
While the latest bout cancellation in the UFC – which was first reported by Sherdog.com – may cause many fans to groan, the potential replacement contest may result in the complete opposite.
MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has learned from sources close to the organization that the UFC is targeting Vera for a potential headlining contest against Jon Jones (9-1 MMA, 3-1 UFC) at an as-yet-unannounced UFC Fight Night 21 event on March 31 in Denver, Colo.
Shane Carwin vs. Frank Mir in the works for interim heavyweight title at UFC 111 in March
While UFC president Dana White recently said the status of UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar would be decided in the next four to six weeks, things are apparently progressing much faster.
MMAjunkie.com has learned from sources close to the organization that the UFC is targeting an interim heavyweight title matchup between top contender Shane Carwin and former UFC champion Frank Mir.
If both parties agree, the contest may take place at the increasingly attractive UFC 111 event on March 27 in Newark, N.J.
little Nog out of 109
Antonio Rogerio Nogueira has withdrawn from his co-headlining light heavyweight contest against Brandon Vera at UFC 109 on Feb. 6 in Las Vegas due to injury, Sherdog.com has learned from multiple sources
Personally I feel this is Jon Jone's big chance to step up into the big picture.
Yvel glad to finally get his shot in the UFC
Gilbert Yvel has finalized a seven-fight deal with the UFC that kicks off with a main card showdown with Junior Dos Santos at UFC 108.
Santos was originally scheduled to face former contender Gabriel Gonzaga on the Jan. 2 card, but was forced to withdraw due to a staph infection.
It was an unusual road to the Octagon for the Dutch striker, but he’s happy to have made it.
Ricardo Almeida likely for UFC 111 in March, bout with Thiago Alves possible
While a knee injury forced grappling ace Ricardo Almeida (11-3 MMA, 4-3 UFC) out of a planned UFC 106 bout with Jon Fitch, "Big Dog" apparently won't sit out for long.
And while Almeida couldn't comment on the potential contest when contacted by MMAjunkie.com, additional sources have indicated Brazilian slugger Thiago Alves (16-6 MMA, 9-3 UFC) may be in the running to face the 33-year-old.
UFC 107 Medical Suspensions
The Tennessee Athletic Commission has announced the medical suspensions from UFC 107. 18 fighters in all got suspensions, but most were in the range of 3-45 days. Only Clay Guida and Matt Wiman got 60+ day suspensions unless they are medically cleared ahead of time.
Thiago Alves To Return At UFC 111
Former welterweight contender Thiago Alves will make his return to action at UFC 111 on March 27, 2010.Alves suffered a PCL tear in training for a bout with Jon Fitch at UFC 107, but has recently begun training again, according to his manager, Malki Kawa of First Round Management.An opponent for the American Top Team standout is not confirmed at this time.
Sonnen Brings in Okami to 'Anchor' his Training Camp for UFC 109 Fight Against Marquardt
We got men and women at war right now – they got real problems – so me complaining about where I come out on the card would be very arrogant. But with that said, there are guys that I’m opening the show for that would never fight after me had Okami not been my dance partner. They call him Yushin “Thunder” Okami, I call him Yushin “Anchor” Okami; he pulls people down, whereas if you get a fight with me – if you get me on the docket, I’m going to pull you up. I’m going to get exposure and attention and people to care about the fight and “Anchor” Okami’s got the opposite effect. So was it annoying? Yes.