UFC Vet Harold Howard Arrested in Niagara Falls, Ontario
St Catherine Standard - Police say a 51-year-old assault suspect deliberately crashed his pickup truck through the front entrance of Niagara Fallsview Casino Resort, ending a pursuit through Niagara Falls city streets early Tuesday morning.
Niagara Regional Police say the male had been involved in a dispute at a residence in Niagara Falls in which a male and a female were assaulted with a weapon before he sped off in his vehicle.
The male then attended another residence in the north end of Niagara Falls where he collided with a vehicle in the driveway. The male then fled that residence in his vehicle.
UFC 111: Phil Baroni vs Marcus Davis likely for March 27
Hard-hitting (and crowd-pleasing) welterweights, Marcus Davis and Phil Baroni, have verbally agreed to throw leather at UFC 111 from the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J., on March 27, 2010.
The promotion has made no official announcements about the 170-pound match up or the actual pay-per-view (PPV) event at this time; however, that's expected to change very soon.
More on this breaking news in a bit.
UFC 111 is expected to feature a 170-pound title defense by promotion superstar Georges St. Pierre as "Rush" answers the call of British striker Dan "The Outlaw" Hardy. Heavyweights Frank Mir
and Shane Carwin
are also expected to collide in an interim title match while Brock Lesnar recovers from recent surgery.
Matt Hughes Predicts the Demise of Strikeforce
Hughes makes vague reference to Showtime’s interference in the process, and seems to believe that this will be Strikeforce’s undoing, sooner rather than later. Wrote Hughes:
Last week I was in California with Robbie, Pena, and Foster, hoping they would find a replacement so Robbie could fight. It didn’t happen and I guess I’m just spoiled being with the UFC. From what I understand, Showtime really likes to stick their nose in Strikeforce’s business and because of that I don’t think that Strikeforce will be around for much longer; but enough with that.
Dos Santos: “I wanna be a big champion”
“I owe everything I am in fight to Rodrigo. When he has the belt, I’ll be his guardian. To fight with him, they’ll have to fight with me first”, said the heavyweight, laughing. With defined return on UFC 108, against the rough Gilbert Yvel, revealed that his biggest dream is to be on top of the world. “As fighter I’m not different of anyone, I also want to be a big champion, to be a big name as Minotauro and Minotouro”, said.
Tito Ortiz soon Embarks on Third USO Tour
UFC veteran Tito Ortiz, who will soon serve as a coach and tape the 11th season of "The Ultimate Fighter," will first depart for his third USO/Armed Forces Entertainment tour.
The popular fighter, who visited with more than 3,000 service members during two 2007 USO Tours with fellow UFC vet Justin McCully, will again sign autographs and participate in training exercises on his upcoming trip.
The Lightning Rod: Controversial UFC castoff Karo Parisyan explains recent troubles
Karo Parisyan got out of a cab at the Las Vegas airport, and his father's voice on the other end of his cell phone was finally too much to bear.
It hadn't been long since Parisyan told his manager to inform the UFC brass that he was pulling out of his scheduled UFC 106 bout with Dustin Hazelett last month. A series of suffocating personal issues, Parisyan said, led to the decision, the most difficult he said he has ever made.
He had hundreds of texts and phone messages pleading with him to answer the question: Why?
UFC to Boston On August 28
Get ready, Boston-UFC's debut in the area is now set. Although it won't be officially announced until closer to the event date, Dana White tells The Boston Herald that UFC will make it's Boston debut on August 28 at TD Garden. White also says the event may feature many local fighters including Kenny Florian and Joe Lauzon among others, but Brock Lesnar main event rumors are premature.
Penn Talks About Blood Licking: I Gotta Stop Doing That
ollowing his five-round dismantling of Diego Sanchez at UFC 107, an emotional BJ Penn licked the blood off his gloves and pounded his chest in an animal-like frenzy.The UFC lightweight belt holder displayed similar post-fight behaviour against Joe Stevenson last year at UFC 80."(My boxing trainer) Jason Parillo said, 'Go out there. I want you to be the crazy blood licker. I want you to kill this guy,' "Penn explained in an interview with the Hawaii Tribune-Herald.
UFC Continues Campaign to Sanction MMA in Ontario
Having succeeded in helping re-open Vancouver to mixed martial arts, the UFC continues the fight to get the sport sanctioned in Ontario.
That involves a two-pronged approach, with lobbyists working on both the Ontario and federal governments. Having expected sellouts shows in May in Montreal and June in Vancouver should help the UFC cause in Toronto, although privately the UFC acknowledges Ontario has proved to be more difficult than expected.
Marcus Davis signs four fight deal with the UFC
Marcus “The Irish Hand Grenade” Davis has signed a new four-fight deal with the UFC, according to a source in his camp.Davis, 36, made his UFC debut on the second season of “The Ultimate Fighter” in August 2005 and has made 12 Octagon appearances since emerging from the reality show, earning an 8-4 record.The source said Davis was targeting a spring return to action, though he has not been approached with a specific opponent or date.Davis is still healing from his last fight, a knockout loss to Ben Saunders at UFC 106, the first time he’d completely lost consciousness in 19 years of professional fighting. Prior to that, he lost a hotly contested decision to welterweight contender Dan Hardy at UFC 99.
Ten Best - The Losses of 2009
There are no moral victories in the UFC: A loss means half the paycheck the winner gets, a step away from a title shot and a disheartening trip home.
But every now and then, a loss enhances a fighter’s reputation or showcases his skills in a way that makes people forget the overall outcome.
So we’re kicking off our unofficial year-end “Best Of” season with a list of the “best” losses of 2010 – ten performances worth saluting
Bang! Duane Ludwig steps up to face Jim Miller at UFC 108 with Sean Sherk hurt
Well when it rains, it pours.It's hard to imagine, but the injury-riddled UFC 108: "Evans vs. Silva" fight card has sustained yet another blow. However, the promotion has shifted seamlessly on the fly to minimize the damage.The Northwest Indiana Times is reporting that Sean Sherk is off the UFC 108 card after sustaining a sever forehead laceration and that mixed martial arts veteran Duane Ludwig has answered the call to fill in for "The Muscle Shark" against Jim Miller.The former lightweight champion was actually filling in for Tyson Griffin after originally being penciled in against Rafael Oliveira on the same card.
UFC 109: Miller-Maia Promoted To PPV
UFC 109 now has a complete PPV card again with the promotion of Dan Miller vs. Demian Maia from prelim to PPV. The opening came up when Antonio Rogerio Nogueira was forced off the card due to injury, also taking Brandon Vera off.
UFC 110 To Air LIVE And FREE In Australia
If you live down under and didn't get tickets to UFC 110, you're not out of luck. The UFC and Network Ten today announced "UFC 110: Nogueira vs. Velasquez" will be broadcast on One, an Australian sports network featured on free-to-air TV.
Make "Penn Vs. GSP 3" If You Want To Sell 40K Tickets At Aloha Stadium
That's the request of native Hawaiian BJ Penn on possibly his next fight. Despite losing last time to GSP and making us suffer through "Vaseline-Gate" he wants a 3rd fight with the Welterweight Champion, and suggests it be a superfight at Hawaii's Aloha Stadium...perhaps in part because Penn dosen't think a fight with Gray Maynard will sell out the stadium.
The Nightmare Has A New Dream
And for Diego Sanchez, it's working towards another shot at BJ Penn, probably with a healthy dose of "YES! YES! YES!" "To be honest I’m really f’nnnn pist off I hate losing and am more hungry for victory than ever ... All I can think about is working my way back to earn another shot at Bj Penn. My dream has changed it is no longer just become ufc champion it is to fight Bj Penn again. I will put my heart and soul into this!!! Im on a mission now. All you doubters shut up and watch me!"
Logan Stanton and Natasha Wicks Fired From UFC
**********.com has learned that both Natasha Wicks and Logan Stanton have been cut from the UFC as ring girls. Stanton’s contract expired after UFC 107 and the UFC chose not to renew it. Wicks was cut before the expiration of her contract. Ring girl Arianny Celeste will remain on with the organization; as her contract has been recently renegotiated- explaining her absence from UFC 107.
According to sources, there will be only two ring girls from this point forward. Though it has not been officially announced, our insiders are being told Chandella Powell, a former playmate, will be the newest ring girl. [Ed. note: We can't find many good pics of Ms. Powell, but apparently she's second from the left in this photo.] It has yet to be released when Ms. Powell will start her official ring girl duties, though UFC 108 would be the obvious choice.