UFC drops Jon Fitch, other American Kickboxing Academy fighters (interviews with Dana and Fitch)
A bitterly angry Dana White said Wednesday the Ultimate Fighting Championship has cut highly regarded welterweight contender Jon Fitch and is not going to do business with any fighters who are part of the American Kickboxing Academy team in San Jose, Calif.
White said he excepted AKA welterweight Mike Swick from that group because he said Swick called him and told him he wants to fight for the UFC. But Fitch and heavyweight Christian Wellisch were cut on Wednesday, and heavyweight prospect Cain Velasquez and welterweight Josh Koscheck could be next.
"We're looking for guys who want to work with us and not against us, and frankly I'm just so [expletive] sick of this [expletive] it's not even funny," White said from Honolulu, where he flew Wednesday from Toronto to hold a news conference to announce the B.J. Penn-Georges St. Pierre fight for UFC 94 on Jan. 31 in Las Vegas.
"Affliction is still out there trying to build its company. Let [Fitch] go work with them. Let him see what he thinks of those [expletives]. [Expletive] him. These guys aren't partners with us. [Expletive] them. All of them, every last [expletive] one of them."
Fitch said Wednesday the dispute was over his reluctance to sign a lifetime contract to allow his name and likeness to be used in a video game the UFC is planning with THQ. He said the dispute has nothing to do with money and that he never caused a problem during his time in the UFC.
Working for free and selling our rights away for lifetime, that's a little different," said Fitch, who said he hasn't spoken with White but plans to call him. "We tried to negotiate five- or 10-year deals with them, but it wasn't good enough. It was all or nothing. He wanted our lifetime. He wanted our souls forever."
White complained that he has to make frequent sacrifices in his personal life and is away from his family for long stretches because of his commitment to growing the UFC. He said the AKA fighters don't understand the things UFC management is trying to do and said they'll learn how tough things are in the poor economy.
Ninja Rua: “Shogun will tear Coleman up”
he’s training all the time and certainly will take the light-heavyweight belt. He’s a great fighter, he is 100% recovered (from knee surgery) and will tear Coleman up…He wanted this fight a long time ago and now it’s only reduce the weight and fight”
John Fitch Cut By UFC
Former number one UFC welterweight contender Jon Fitch was today handed his walking papers for refusing to sign an agreement that would give the promotion exclusive lifetime video game rights to his name and likeness, MMAmania.com can exclusively confirm.
- MMAWEEKLY WORLD MMA RANKINGS UPDATED
The latest MMAWeekly World MMA Rankings were released on Wednesday, November 19. This system ranks the Top 10 MMA fighters from all across the world – now in each of the seven most widely accepted weight classes.
Fabricio Werdum gone
FiveOuncesOfPain.com has learned that lightweight competitor Marcus Aurelio is the latest fighter to depart the UFC.
The American Top Team member was released from his contract with the promotion soon after his unanimous decision loss Hermes Franca last month at UFC 90.
s anybody else heated about this? Werdum may have looked bad in his last fight but I can't think of one fighter who hasn't had a bad fight. Keithe Jardine got beat by a no name in Houston Alexander and he got to fight Liddell in his next fight, why the hate on Werdum? I know he makes a lot of money but that division is weak and a guy like him is needed. Bring back Cro Cop.
Burns vs Johnson II Headlines TUF 8 Finale
A previously reported rematch between Anthony Johnson (5-2 MMA, 2-2 UFC) and Kevin Burns (7-1 MMA, 2-0) set for The Ultimate Fighter 8 Finale in December will headline the event, Spike TV today announced.
Additionally, officials have confirmed a previously reported middleweight fight between Jason MacDonald (21-10 MMA, 5-3 UFC) and Wilson Gouveira (11-5 MMA, 5-2 UFC) will serve as the night's co-main event.
Pretty lame in my opinion, two relatively no namers but what do you guys think?
Does Lesnar 'deserve' UFC HW Title?
Kevin Iole's mail bag addresses this issue on Yahoo! Sports.
Brock Lesnar’s win over Randy Couture on Saturday at UFC 91 in their match for the heavyweight title created a lot of interest, both pro and con.
I’ll answer questions about Lesnar’s win and his future, as well as other UFC 91 topics, in this edition of the weekly mixed martial arts mailbag.
My answers, as always, are in italics after the questions.
My personal opinion is that he deserves it until he loses it. I'm not a Lesnar fan at all, but that's the facts jack. There's no use crying over spilled milk and if he doesn't lose who else deserves it?
SUPERCOP MATT GRICE READYING FOR RETURN
"Following one of the most exciting fights in all of 2007 in a win over Jason Black at UFC 77, Oklahoma native Matt Grice took some time off from competing in MMA to attend the police academy and help solidify a future for his wife and young daughter.
Grice asked permission from the Ultimate Fighting Championship to take the time off to attend the academy. They were accommodating to let him do what he had to do, while holding his contract in place to allow for his return to the Octagon."
Seven UFC 91 fighters, including Lesnar and Couture, issued medical suspensions
Lesnar, who defeated Couture with a second-round TKO for the UFC heavyweight championship, is suspended until Dec. 16 with no contact during training until Dec. 7 for precautionary reasons. Couture, meanwhile, has been suspended until Jan. 15 with no contact until Dec. 31, also due to precautionary reasons.
Josh Hendricks, a UFC newcomer who suffered a 61-second TKO to Gabriel Gonzaga, has been suspended until Dec. 16 with no contact until Dec. 7 for precautionary reasons.
Tamdan McCrory, who dropped a first-round submission loss to Dustin Hazelett in a main-card bout, needs his right foot and ankle X-rayed to rule out factures. If the X-rays come back positive, McCrory is suspended until May 15 unless cleared early by a doctor.
Aaron Riley, who defeated Jorge Gurgel via unanimous decision in the UFC 91 Fight of the Night, has been suspended until Dec. 16 with no contact until Dec. 7 for precautionary reasons. Gurgel, meanwhile, must have an MRI on his left shoulder and an X-ray on his right ankle to rule out fractures. If fractures are detected, Gurgel is suspended until May 15 unless cleared early by an orthopedic doctor.
Finally, Rafael dos Anjos, who loss to Jeremy Stephens via a stunning third-round TKO, has been suspended until Jan. 15 with no contact until Dec. 31 for precautionary reasons.
UFC Fight Night 17 scheduled for February 7
The 17th installment of Spike TV’s “UFC Fight Night” fight series is set to take place on Saturday, February 7, 2009.
FiveOuncesOfPain.com confirmed the news on Tuesday morning after contacting a source close to the event who spoke on the condition of anonymity.
As of now, few details are known about the planned Spike TV special as a venue has yet to even be finalized.
The next UFC Fight Night, “UFC Fight Night 16: UFC Fights for the Troops,” is scheduled for Wednesday, Dec. 10 at the Crown Coliseum in Fayetteville, North Carolina. The event is being held to help raise contributions for the Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund
Fedor Weighs In On 'Couture/Lesnar
WAMMA heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko has a message for Randy Couture following his loss to Brock Lesnar at last Saturday’s UFC 91, keep your chin up.
MMAWeekly.com spoke with Emelianenko via telephone as he finished watching the first round of the fight on a nearby television. The top ranked heavyweight is currently in Thailand, filming an action movie starring Rutger Hauer and Michael Madsen.
“It’s a very interesting fight,” Emelianenko said of the bout’s first round through his interpreter. “So far, it looks like Randy – he’s more active in the ring.”
Asked who the winner of the first round was, he paused.
Gina Carano in the WEC?
This may soon become reality according to Dana White:
White said he is thinking of inviting Gina Carano to fight in the WEC. Carrano had been fighting in the now defunct EliteXC. "Gina Carano is a star, I think she's talented. I think she's got all the tools, so what I'm willing to do is bring Gina into the WEC. We could do fights whenever there's a challenger for Gina. That's how I'll test the waters and see how it goes." In the past, White has dismissed talk of having women fight in his organization, saying there wasn't enough talent out there.
The proposed scenario would be a major modification to Zuffa's approach in promoting MMA. Not only would this be their first foray into female fighting, but the experiment would not involve a full division of fighters but only Carano fighting various challengers as they materialize.
UFC 94: Jon Fitch vs Akihiro Gono (Exclusive)
Top welterweight contender Jon Fitch (17-3) has signed the bout agreement to fight Akihiro Gono (29-13-7) at UFC 94: “St. Pierre vs Penn 2” on January 31 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, MMAmania.com (www.mmamania.com) has learned.
Dana White Warns Ontario - You're Next!
"There’s no reason why we shouldn’t be in Toronto," White continued. "We’ve got a (clean) nine-year record of health and safety. There is absolutely no reason for Canada to not accept this sport. There’s an education factor; we need to educate people.
"I’m going after Canada after (I get approval in) New York and Massachusetts. I’m attacking Canada. I’m going to spend so much time in Canada I’ll have to buy a house. I’m going to live here until it’s done. I’m going to be sitting on the porch every day they come to work."
"Everybody I bumped into was from Canada," he said, adding that having St-Pierre fight in Toronto is a no-brainer. "This fight (between St-Pierre and Penn) should have been in Toronto or Hawaii.
"Canada is a huge market for us. Toronto is the mecca, this is the place to be as far as MMA is concerned."
I would most definitely go to an event in Toronto. My guess is that it will happen in late 2010 or mid 2011 for the UFC to get through Ontario. Glad to see his enthusiasm.
Dustin Hazelett says patience is key in UFC's welterweight division
With his slick first-round submission victory over Tamdan McCrory at this past weekend's UFC 91 event, UFC welterweight debut Dustin Hazelett picked up his fifth UFC victory in six fights and his second consecutive Submission of the Night bonus.
However, the fighter -- who's now racked up three "fight night" bonuses worth a total of $105,000 over his past two fights -- said he is not yet a part of the 170-pound division's elite.
UFC 93 & 95 Not Airing For Free on Spike TV
Despite the fact that UFC 93 and 95 are taking place in Dublin and London respectively, they will not air for free on Spike TV, reports MMA Rated. Does that mean you’re going to have to pay more of your rapidly dwindling cash to see an event that goes live in the middle of the afternoon? Either that or wait until the videos hit the internet, and for some reason it’s considered “troubling behavior” for me to drink in front of my computer at ten o’clock on a Sunday morning, even though it’s perfectly acceptable to do it in front of the TV on a Saturday. I blame this Puritanical society.
The explanation for why this is happening centers around Spike TV’s production budget. Broadcasting these overseas events is costly, and since both UFC 93 and 95 take place within the first two months of 2009, that would mean blowing a big portion of their budget in the first quarter. This, my friends, is a side effect of the UFC going global.
Paulo Fihlo Released From WEC, Unlikely to Fight in UFC
In the November 17th edition of the Wrestling Observer there is strong indication that (former) top 10 middleweight Paulo Fihlo has been released from his Zuffa contract and will most likely not be heading to the UFC any time soon, if at all.
FiveOuncesofPain.com has the wrap up:
“Not only will Paulo Filho’s middleweight championship be forgotten, but Filho himself will be after his performance on the show, as it’s all but a lock that Filho won’t be moved to UFC,” one excerpt states.
“There is zero criticism I’ve seen of (Zuffa) cutting Paulo Filho, who was 16-0 coming into his fight (vs. Chael Sonnen) but his cut wasn’t over money but that the person who was in that cage has no business fighting at this time,” writes Observer publisher Dave Meltzer
Poll: Most Fans Don't Want Shields-GSP First
On this past Friday's episode of "Inside MMA", the results of a poll conducted by the show and MMAjunkie.com on who fans most want to see Jake Shields first fight in the UFC were revealed. The biggest surprise may be that most fans do not want a possible dream match between Shields and Georges St. Pierre, but most want Shields vs. Diego Sanchez first instead.