Nate Diaz vs Melvin Guillard announced for UFC Fight Night 19 on Sept. 16
A lightweight contest between "The Ultimate Fighter" veterans Nate Diaz (10-4 MMA, 5-2 UFC) and Melvin Guillard (23-7-2 MMA, 5-3 UFC) is set for the main event of UFC Fight Night 19.
The UFC today officially announced the contest, as well as confirming the previously reported bout between Roger Heurta and Gray Maynard.
UFC Fight Night 19, a Spike TV-broadcast event that will serve as the lead-in for the debut episode of "The Ultimate Fighter 10," takes place Sept. 16 at the Cox Convention Center in Oklahoma City.
A cage full of UFC memories
Marcus Davis was a 19-year-old professional boxer the night he sat down to watch UFC 1 in 1993. He didn’t know a thing about jiu-jitsu or grappling, but what he knew, or at least what he thought he knew, was that he could pummel the crap out of that skinny guy rolling around on the ground twisting arms and choking people.
Davis laughed when UFC 1 was over and Royce Gracie, who weighed all of 180 pounds soaking wet, came out as the tournament winner.
“Being a boxer and watching guys with what I considered horrible standup and seeing a guy who was 180 pounds at most taking guys out and making them quit, well, I had no concept of what was happening,” Davis said. “The only conclusion I could draw was that it was fake. I thought the whole thing was phony. It’s the only thing that made sense to me.”
JAKE O'BRIEN WANTS TO STEAL JON JONES' THUNDER
Jake O’Brien (11-2) is experiencing a bit of déjà vu. It’s his third time serving as a gatekeeper to a division’s upper level.
The 24-year-old freestyle wrestler turned fighter is 1-1 in the spoiler role, having defeated Pride standout Heath Herring in January 2007 and lost to fast rising Cain Velasquez last July.
On July 11, he’s aiming to rain on another prospect’s parade, Jon Jones, this time as a light heavyweight. Jones is a 21-year-old terror that grabbed headlines with an unconventional, go for broke style that dispatched Andre Gusmao and Stephan Bonnar. O’Brien’s is unconvinced that his opponent is the next big thing.
Middleweight Michael Bisping suggests title fight hangs in balance at UFC 100
With UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva busy preparing for his Aug. 8 light-heavyweight showdown with Forrest Griffin, the next challenger for "The Spider's" middleweight crown may very well be decided on Saturday night in Las Vegas.
While Dan Henderson (24-7 MMA, 4-2 UFC) has openly stated he expects a second shot at Silva should he defeat Michael Bisping (17-1 MMA, 7-1 UFC) at UFC 100, "The Count" recently said he's under the impression a win would also get him a shot at the 185-pound title.
Tim Credeur and Nate Quarry set for UFN 19
Middleweights Tim Credeur (12-2 MMA, 3-0 UFC) and Nate Quarry (11-3 MMA, 6-2 UFC) are the latest additions to UFC Fight Night 19 in September, as the two middleweights have agreed to meet in a bout expected for the evening's main card.
Bout agreements have been distributed for the contest, and both fighters are expected to finalize the contracts over the next several days.
DaMarques Johnson Signs Multi-Fight UFC Contract
Popular TUF 9 welterweight finalist DaMarques Johnson and has signed a multi-fight contract with the UFC. The news comes courtesy of The Salt Lake Tribune.
Johnson is coming off a solid overall showing during his time on Spike TV's The Ultimate Fighter Season 9. The Jeremy Horn trained fighter made his way to the TUF 9 welterweight final before being stopped by James Wilks via first round submission.
Kyle Bradley vs. Sam Stout targeted for UFC Fight Night 19 event in September
As the UFC's first trip to Oklahoma in nearly 15 years continues to fill, MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has learned from sources close to the negotiations that a lightweight contest between Kyle Bradley (14-6 MMA, 1-2 UFC) and Sam Stout (14-5-1 MMA, 3-4 UFC) has been targeted for UFC Fight Night 19.
Both fighters have verbally agreed to the contest and bout agreements are expected to be distributed shortly.
"UFC is just getting started!" Video
If you're a fan of MMA, you need to check out this video. The UFC is truly pulling out all the stops for UFC 100, and this brief video documents their early beginnings, as well as what we can expect from this sport in the future, and a tribute to the legends of the game.
A must see!
Holly Madison goes from Playboy to ring girl this weekend
I'm putting this here because its big news!
“Had my UFC ring girl fitting today! Outfit looks bad ass!”
– Holly Madison — who is perhaps best known as Hugh Hefner’s favorite girlfriend during “The Girls Next Door” — Tweets about her fitting today for a UFC ring card girl get up. Madison has appeared in a UFC 98 video blog with company president Dana White not too long ago — she’s apparently a big fan of the sport. So is the 29-year-old Oregonian just having fun, getting dolled up for a special saunter at UFC 100 or will she somehow be included in the the first-ever Maxim UFC Octagon Girl Search at the fan expo … or all of the above? Can’t wait to get to the bottom of this …
Mike Pyle vs. Chris Wilson at UFC Fight Night 19
A welterweight fight between Chris Wilson and Mike Pyle has been scheduled for UFC Fight Night 19 in Oklahoma City. Sources confirmed with FanHouse Sunday evening that the bout will be made official later this week.
UFC Fight Night 19 is scheduled for Sept. 16 at the Cox Convention Center. Gray Maynard will reportedly face Roger Huerta on the same card.
Jeremy Stephens draws UFC newcomer Ronnys Torres for UFC Fight Night 19
Following the first back-to-back losses of his career, Jeremy Stephens (15-5 MMA, 3-4 UFC) will look to right the ship when he meets UFC newcomer and fellow lightweight Ronny Torres (14-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) at UFC Fight Night 19.
A source close to one of the fighters today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) the bout is in the process on being finalized.
Frank Mir on Lesnar: ‘I don’t think he’s physically capable of going 5 rounds’
Frank Mir is a man who has had his past life taken from him by tragedy. He had to give up his belt and was faced with a long road back to his title.
From encountering everything from doctors who said he would never fight again, the tremendous amount of rehab he had to face and overcome, clawing his way back to the top of the UFC’s heavyweight division, to now facing a genetic freak who is at the last step to full redemption.
UFC still fighting for respect even in its home town
Event No. 100 is right around the corner for the UFC. It's a long way from the days of struggling to sell 4,000 tickets. The UFC is a lock from a live gate standpoint, events regularly draw between 12,000-16,000 around the country, yet the promotion has to be incredibly proactive to court coverage similar to the NFL, NBA, MLB and even NASCAR in those local markets. That irks UFC owners Lorenzo and Frank Fertitta along with president Dana White. Newspapers for the most part still turn the their noses up at mixed martial arts. That included the UFC's hometown newspaper, the Las Vegas Review-Journal, until recently when the paper named Adam Hill, the first full-time MMA newspaper beat reporter in the U.S. But that doesn't mean the Fertittas and White are curtailing the fight in Sin City. The UFC sort of lashes out at the local media for the lack of attention in a Sunday story in the LVRJ.
Wanderlei Silva on Franklin Loss, Griffin vs. Anderson and Fedor in the UFC
Wanderlei Silva is one of the greatest fighters in the history of mixed martial arts, but after falling to Rich Franklin at UFC 99, he's lost five of his last six fights. Does that mean his fighting career is just about over?
Silva doesn't think so. When I talked to him over the weekend, he sounded excited about returning to the Octagon late this year, and about his work as a trainer and as an ambassador for MMA. He also refuted reports that he had a hard time making the 195-pound limit for the Franklin fight, offered a prediction on the upcoming Forrest Griffin vs. Anderson Silva fight at UFC 101, and talked about whether his old friend from their days fighting in Japan, Fedor Emelianenko, will ever fight in the UFC. Silva's comments are below.
UFC 100 Preview: Dong Hyun "Stun Gun" Kim Aims to Help Zuffa Push Into Korea
Back in May of last year, Dong Hyun Kim made his UFC debut at UFC 84: Ill Will against British fighter Jason Tan. Unknown to most casual MMA fans at the time, Kim was actually making history under the South Korean flag in that he had become only the second Korean fighter to set foot into the Octagon since Joe Son at UFC 4. After three rounds of action that saw the "Stun Gun" tactically out-strike Tan and pick him apart, Kim ended the bout via a technical knockout in the third round to become the first Korean to win in the UFC. Most fans didn't see this match as it was on the undercard, but the nation of South Korea erupted overnight after the battle aired three times on Korean network Super Action.