NEWCOMER AL-TURK TO FIGHT KONGO AT UFC 92
Having just signed a multi-fight agreement with the Ultimate Fighting Championship, Cage Rage champion Mustapha Al-Turk was all set for a baptism of fire in the UFC against highly touted heavyweight prospect Cain Velazquez. It was scheduled to be a tough debut for the London Shootfighters standout, but one that suited him stylistically as both are heavy handed grapplers.
According to his coach and manager Alexis Demetriades, it appears that the fight is off due to injury. "We got word from Joe Silva that Velazquez has pulled out due to injury and will be undergoing knee surgery to fix it. It’s a shame as we had a strategy in place and we were all set to go."
The announcement of Velazquez withdrawing from the fight will leave many disappointed as the fight guaranteed fireworks. All is not lost, as a replacement has been found in tough Frenchman Cheick Kongo, who is coming off a TKO win over Dan Evensen at UFC 87 in Minneapolis.
Travis Lutter Back In UFC (Again)?
Apparently being cut from UFC for various reasons isn't the end of your career there-TUF 4 MW winner Travis Lutter, despite being let go by UFC earlier this year, could be coming back again. He appears set to face Joe Doerksen at UFC 91.
Anderson Silva NOT Retirng Next Year, says his Manager
Anderson Silva’s manager says that the middleweight champion will definitely not be retiring within the next 12 months.
He made the statement after UFC middleweight champion Silva told a Brazilian television station he was thinking of quitting MMA in the coming year.
Some have speculated that the decision was prompted by Dana White’s refusal to allow Silva leave to enter into a boxing match with Roy Jones Jr.
However, his manager Ed Soares says that this is not the case and that White has a good relationship with Silva.
“Dana hasn't done anything to **** over Silva. It's the complete opposite. Dana has been very good to Anderson,” he wrote on popular message board MMA.tv earlier.
“I can guarantee you Anderson will not be retiring within the next year. He still has 6 fights on his contract.”
Matt Hamill: I’m glad I have a trainer that won’t accept that performance
“I don’t know why I didn’t take him down more. That’s the one thing I have been thinking about over and over. I should have taken him down more like in the first round. That was the game plan. My weapon is ground and pound…I don’t follow what people say in the media, all I can say is I didn’t follow the game plan that we put together. Duff wants me to perform at the level he knows I’m capable of. I’m glad I have a trainer that won’t accept that performance and I respect him for speaking the truth. Duff didn’t do anything wrong.”
UFC ZEROING IN ON SUMMER 2009 FOR PHILIPPINES
The Ultimate Fighting Championship has not hidden its desire to expand its brand across the world. The UFC has yet to return to Japan and Brazil, countries that they haven’t been to in many years, but they have recently expanded into Canada, following a strong building process in Northern Ireland and England.
Anderson Silva to Retire Next Year
"I'll retire next year, I already gave my all. I don't need to prove anything for anyone and within one year I'll put my gloves aside."
-- Anderson Silva talking to Brazilian cable channel SporTV.
It's hard to argue against Silva's accomplishments and boredom with the landscape, but how many mega fights at 205lbs might we be missing if Silva retires? And is this too soon given his age? Shocking developments to say the least.
Joe Vedepo issued only UFC Fight Night 15 medical suspension
Only one competitor was issued a medical suspension following the Sept. 17 UFC Fight Night 15 event at the Omaha Civic Auditorium in Omaha, Neb.
It belongs to Joe Vedepo, who suffered a first-round knockout loss to Alessio Sakara in a preliminary bout.
The UFC newcomer was issued a 45-day suspension due to "heavy head blows," the Nebraska Athletic Commission told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).
Vedepo (7-2 MMA, 0-1 UFC), an Iowa-based fighter who won the Midwest Cage Championship middleweight belt just prior to signing with the UFC, had clipped and staggered Sakara early in their bout. However, Sakara quickly recovered, avoided a takedown, and then connected on a head kick that set up the KO victory at 1:27 of the first round.
Cain Velasquez vs Mustafa Al-Turk (**OFF DUE TO INJURY**)
Hot heavyweight blue chip prospect Cain Velasquez (4-0) will likely return to action against Octagon newcomer Mustafa Al-Turk (6-3) at UFC Fight Night 16: “Fights for the Troops” at Fort Bragg in Fayetteville, N.C., on December 10.
MMAmania.com recently learned of the possible match up between the future the division and the current Cage Rage British Heavyweight Champion.
Velasquez is an undefeated American Kickboxing Academy (AKA) standout who has won all of his UFC bouts (two), building a reputation as a dangerous opponent who many in the division would prefer to avoid. Brad Morris and Jake O’Brien weren’t so lucky, and the former Arizona State University wrestler stopped them both in the first round.
He is widely regarded as a future champion, a distinction his possible opponent already has locked down.
Machida wants to face Rashad Evans to determine number one contender
After being scrapped from UFC 89 because of Thiago Silva’s back injury, Lyoto Machda keeps training in Brazil, but less than before. With his back to the octagon still undefined, Machida waits for the UFC to set his next bout. “I continue training, I can’t be caught unprepared for a fight, but I’m training less now, doing only some physical training, Jiu-Jitsu and Karatê… They didn’t say anything, but told me that this fight (with Thiago Silva) still can happen”, said the fighter, who would need to wait for his recovery to come back to the octagon.
But if it depended on his decision, he’d come back tomorrow with another opponent. “I’m waiting for any situation, or face him, if he gets better, or having another opponent. I would like to face Rashad Evans, and the winner gets a title shot, but now it seems like they will put him against Forrest Griffin… I’d like to face him and the winner gets Griffin, it’s a good way”, suggests Machida, who waits for a top opponent for his next fight.
“I don’t know how it’s gonna be, I’m ready to fight, but don’t wanna fight anyone, because I’m building my way in UFC and I wanna fight the top fighters so that they could give me a title shot after”, says. Between the option in the light-heavyweight Top 10 ranking is Maurício Shogun, getting better from a knee injury and waiting to fight in December, still without and opponent. If Machida could choose, another Brazilian fight could happen. “I never chose opponents, I leave it to UFC and my managers, what they want for me is good. If they think fight Shogun is better I’ll do it, I’m prepared to for everything”, guarantees Machida.
UFC Fight For The Troops Card Taking Shape
Not surprisingly, just as the Ultimate Fighting Championship announced its special UFC Fight For The Troops event for Dec. 10 at Fort Bragg in North Carolina, the fight card has started to slowly piece together.
Although the UFC has yet to make any bouts official, many fights have been verbally agreed to, quickly giving form to the UFC’s effort to raise money to build a treatment center for the brave men and women in the United States Armed Forces who have experienced traumatic brain injuries. The facility is being sponsored, built and equipped by the Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund.
A bout between Mike Swick and Jonathan Goulet was confirmed by MMAWeekly.com earlier in the week, although it is now being moved to the Dec. 10 benefit event instead of The Ultimate Fighter Season 8 Finale, according to Swick.
Other bouts that sources say have been agreed to include Steve Bruno vs. Luke Cummo, Eddie Sanchez vs. Justin McCully, Liugi Fioravanti vs. Brodie Farber, and Nate Loughran against an as yet unknown opponent.
There has been no word regarding who will be featured in the main event.
The goal of UFC Fight For The Troops is to raise the necessary funds for The National Intrepid Center of Excellence (NICoE), an advanced research facility in Bethseda, Md. dedicated to the diagnosis and treatment of military personnel and veterans suffering from traumatic brain injury (TBI) and psychological health issues.
Mustapha Al-Turk Signs With The UFC!
Mustapha Al-Turk (6-3) has vacated the Cage Rage British heavyweight title and signed with the UFC, we can exclusively reveal.
He has signed a four-fight deal with the organisation and will make his debut before the end of the year, possibly against Cain Velasquez.
TUF 8 debuts number one in timeslot; UFN 15 beats ESPN and ESPN2 combined in the ratings
UFN 15 served as a lead-in for the TUF premiere and aired live from 8-10 p.m. ET. Competing against ESPN’s telecast of Major League Baseball and ESPN2’s college football broadcast in the same time slot, UFN 15 outdrew both shows combined in the coveted young male demo.
To be exact, the Spike telecast drew 913,000 men 18-49 and 465,000 Men 18-34. By comparison, ESPN’s telecast of the Red Sox vs. Rays and ESPN2’s Louisville vs. Kansas St. college football game drew a combined 858,000 men 18-49 and 373,000 men 18-34.
Then, between 10-11 p.m. ET, TUF 8 debuted to a 1.2 household rating with an average audience of 1.6 million viewers. According to Spike, the show was number one in its timeslot on basic cable in the male 18-49 demographic, garnering a 1.5 rating. The premiere also drew a 1.5 rating in males 18-34.
Thiago Silva back to UFC in 2009
After the injury and the scrapped fight against Lyoto Machida, Thiago Silva now is focused on the back treatment, getting ready to go back to the octagon as faster as he can and keep the perfect 13-0 MMA history. “I’m doing the physiotherapy well to get better… I’m doing the medical treatment, following correctly, but I still don’t know when I’ll come back. Ultimate said that I won’t fight this year anymore, so I’ll probably be back in January, and I’ll be ready”, said the ATT fighter.
Victorious Joe Lauzon seeking return to UFC main card
From main event to undercard, perhaps no fighter has fallen so quick in the course of a single fight.
Such was the situation facing UFC lightweight Joe Lauzon heading into his "UFC Fight Night 15" bout with Kyle Bradley.
But Lauzon recently told the crew of TAGG Radio, the official radio partner of MMAjunkie.com, he wasn't too disappointed at the change of position.
Jason MacDonald signs new four-fight deal with UFC
Veteran UFC middleweight Jason MacDonald (21-10 MMA, 5-3 UFC) has signed a new four-fight deal with the organization.
KO Dynasty, a sports management company that recently signed MacDonald, alerted MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) of the fighter's new deal.
MacDonald is fresh off a solid victory over Jason Lambert at UFC 88 -- one that earned the 33-year-old fighter a $60,000 Submission of the Night bonus. MacDonald took the fight less than a month after his UFC 87 loss to Demian Maia.
Terms of his new deal were not disclosed.
MacDonald, a former Maximum Fighting Championships fighter, is 9-3 in his past 12 fights. He made his UFC debut in 2006 and garnered some early recognition by scoring submission victories over "TUF" notables Ed Herman and Chris Leben. Additional UFC victories have come over Rory Singer, Joe Doerksen and Lambert.
The UFC has not confirmed when MacDonald could next return to action.
Nate And Nick Diaz Launch Into Tirade At UFC Fight Night Presser
n what was a baffling and undoubtedly rare moment for the media, Nate Diaz was short of salacious quotes about his latest win and opponent Josh Neer. Diaz’s time was limited in dropping four-letter bombs. Why? Because Nate had noly taken his seat in front of reporters at the post-fight press conference when his older brother Nick launched into a tirade that disrupted the interview and left the UFC staff with the unenviable task of keeping the Diaz clan from causing a scene