UFC middleweight Ed Herman leaves Team Quest for new gym, eyes 2011 return
Following back-to-back knee injuries, Ed Herman is turning over a new leaf in Colorado.
The UFC middleweight today spoke to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) and revealed he has left Team Quest and plans to open a new gym with teammate Ryan Schultz in Fort Collins, Colo., where he now resides.
Meanwhile, he is nursing his knee back to health and hopes to be able to train at full bore in November. If all goes well, he anticipates a return to the UFC octagon in the first quarter of 2011.
Dana White Hopes Randy Couture Smashes James Toney
Never one to hide his true feelings, UFC President Dana White tells 790 The Zone in Atlanta (via SportsRadioInterviews) that he is hoping James Toney not only gets beaten by Randy Couture at UFC 118 this coming weekend, but gets beat down bad. "Well, Toney has gotten in the best shape he's ever been in in about I don't know how many years. He's taken this a lot more seriously than he has his boxing career. One of the things with these boxers they have been doing it since they were little kids and how much can they learn? They start to get bored or lazy or whatever you wanna call it. So they don't train as hard. Toney has taken this serious. He's gotten in the best shape he's been in in years and this is going to be a very interesting fight. Anything can happen when two good guys go in there and start throwing punches, scrapping, and fighting. Anything can happen, but James Toney has knockout power in both hands, he's been one of the best and he's fought the best forever. Randy Couture has great wrestling and if you break down stats, James Toney doesn't have as many tools as Randy Couture has so Couture should win the fight. James Toney has talked so much smack I want to see him get smashed in this fight."
Mauricio "Shogun" Rua vs. Rashad Evans UFC title fight on hold until mid-2011
The UFC's light-heavyweight championship will be on hold for a year.
Current champ Mauricio "Shogun" Rua (19-4 MMA, 3-2 UFC), who won the title with a knockout of Lyoto Machida in May, will be out till the spring or summer of 2011.
As expected UFC president Dana White today told ESPN's "SportsCenter" he'll meet top contender and former champ Rashad Evans (15-1-1 MMA, 10-1-1 UFC) upon his return.
Demian Maia Evolves Each Fight
Previously scheduled to face Alan Belcher at UFN 22, Demian Maia had to set up a new camp and strategy for the upcoming fight at UFC 118 versus Mario Miranda on Saturday. The BJJ expert told SenseiSportTV he has trained with boxing coach Luis Dorea to improve his striking skills and become a more complete mixed martial artist. "The opponent and schedule changes affected me just a bit. I had to speed up the process a little. I was at Bahia and had excellent boxing preparation that couldn’t be better. At each fight I evolve more as a result of the training. I’m ready for everything. He has wrestling characteristics and owns just one loss. If he is in the UFC, that’s because he’s good and can face anyone. He is also tall for the division."
Silva vs. Sonnen Rematch Slated for NYE or Super Bowl Event
Lance Pugmire of The Los Angeles Times, one of the few in the media with UFC president Dana White’s direct cell number, is reporting that Chael Sonnen will be granted an immediate rematch against middleweight king Anderson Silva.
According to the report, the highly anticipated mulligan will either go down on the UFC’s New Year’s Eve or Super Bowl weekend card.
UFC co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta told Pugmire that Silva’s bruised – NOT BROKEN – ribs will be the determining factor on when the scrap will take place. He added that it’s possible the champ may require a layoff until early February in order to get right, which would be pushing pigskin time.
Marcus Davis Has No Doubt He's A Better Boxer Than Nate Diaz
And "The Irish Hand Grenade" thinks it'll give him a clear advantage at UFC 118 this weekend when he faces Diaz. "He's similar to me as far as what he uses in his arsenal. I think that what Diaz does for his boxing, being long, throwing out his lead left hand a lot, he has some good things that he does. But I have more tools. I have better footwork. He moves forwards and backwards. I move side to side. I'm good at closing the gap quickly and getting my shots off and getting back out. I think that I'm the more powerful puncher. I don't think there is any question about that. I hit guys with one shot and they go out. As far as boxing skill goes, I think I have the advantage there."
Belfort Says He's Fighting In November, But Not Silva
Injured UFC fighter Vitor Belfort says on his Twitter he'll return to action in November, but he didn't say against who although it won't be UFC Middleweight Champion Anderson Silva. “This year I am not going to fight for the title because the champion is hurt but November we will be in action for sure that is what I can say”
Oliveira replaces Wiman
The revolving opponent door has swung once again for Efrain Escudero. Originally slated to face John Gunderson at UFC Fight Night 22 in Austin, Texas, on Sept. 15, he was pulled from that fight after Mac Danzig was forced to withdraw from the co-main event versus Matt Wiman. Escudero was elevated to replace Danzig in the headliner.
UFC Prelims Returns At UFC 121
Spike TV today confirmed it will air another UFC Prelims special before the upcoming UFC 121 event on October 23. The 2 TV fights this time will be Ultimate Fighter 10 winner Court McGee vs. Ryan Jensen and Patrick Cote vs. Tom Lawlor.
More UFN 22 Changes Coming-Matt Wiman Likely Off
Just as soon as UFC Fight Night 22's co-main event was shuffled, things are in flux once again. While not official yet, Matt Wiman may now be off the card due to an injury suffered in training. Wiman had previously been booked for a rematch with Mac Danzig before an undisclosed injury forced Danzig to withdraw. Wiman was to have faced Efrain Escudero, who replaced Danzig in the fight. A replacement search is now underway.
Mac Danzig Off UFN 22, Escudero-Wiman Now Co-Headliner
The planned Mac Danzig vs. Matt Wiman rematch scheduled for UFC Fight Night 22 is now off for now. Danzig reportedly is now off due to an undisclosed injury. Efrain Escudero has been tapped as the replacement, meaning he's now out of his scheduled fight with John Gunderson. As a result, "The Busiest Fighter In MMA", Yves Edwards, will now likely make his return to UFC and face Gunderson in a prelim. Wiman-Escudero will be the co-main event.
UFC 118 Official With 10 Fights, But Harris-Vedepo Off
The fight card for next week's UFC 118 event is complete, UFC officials today announced. The 10-bout lineup features a champion rematch between lightweight champ Frankie Edgar and B.J. Penn, and Randy Couture meets boxer James Toney in the UFC 118 co-headliner. There were 11 fights planned, but Gerald Harris vs. Joe Vedepo is now off. A source says scheduling issues is the reason. They may be shifted to other cards, not necessarily facing each other.
Showdown Joe: Rory MacDonald vs. Matt Brown @ UFC 123
Numerous sources have informed me that welterweight prospect Rory “The Waterboy” MacDonald (10-1) is likely set to square off against rugged veteran Matt “The Immortal” Brown (11-9) at UFC 123, tentatively scheduled for November 20th.
MacDonald, who hails from Kelowna, BC, suffered the first defeat of his young career, when, with seven seconds left in his UFC 115 bout vs Carlos Condit, the referee stepped in to halt the action.
Krzysztof Soszynski vs. Goran Reljic targeted for UFC 122 in Germany
Goran Reljic's return to the light-heavyweight division appears set.
Reljic (8-2 MMA, 1-2 UFC) is expected to fight Krzysztof Soszynski (21-10-1, 4-2 UFC) at UFC 122, according to a source close to the event who told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that verbal agreements are in place with bout agreements expected to be finalized shortly.
Backstage With Ed Soares
Ariel Helwani interviews Ed Soares one of the most recognizable and influential managers in mixed martial arts. With a stable of fighters that includes the likes of Anderson Silva, Lyoto Machida, Jose Aldo, Junior dos Santos and the Nogueira brothers, Soares has quickly put together one of the most impressive list of clients in the entire sport.
2 Gracies Among 8 Announced For UFC 118 Grappling Superfights
Officials today announced a quartet of "superfights" for the UFC Fan Expo trade and exhibition show in Boston, which coincides with next month's UFC 118 event. Members of MMA's first family, other grappling notables and even a former WEC champion are part of the lineup. The bouts include Rolles Gracie vs. Roberto Abreu, Gregor Gracie vs. Pablo Popovitch, Hermes Franca vs. Ryan Hall, and Penny Thomas vs. Tracey Goodell. On Friday, Aug. 27 at 2 p.m. ET, Thomas, who defeated MMA veteran Shayna Baszler at May's UFC Fan Expo in Las Vegas, takes on Team Lloyd Irvin product Goodell. Additionally, Franca, a former WEC title-holder and UFC title challenger, meets 23-time Grapplers Quest champion Ryan Hall. On Saturday, Aug. 28 at 12:30 p.m. ET, the Gracie clan takes center stage. Rolles, a heavyweight MMA fighter who had a one-fight stint with the UFC earlier this year, takes on Abreu, an undefeated Grapplers Quest champ. And Gregor, a four-time Grapplers Quest champ and half-brother of Rolles', meets Popovich, an ADCC world grappling champion.
Cro Cop: I'm Not Going To Be 100% Against Frank Mir-But I Won't Disappoint The Fans
Mirko Cro Cop confirms his participation in the UFC 119 main event against Frank Mir after "Minotauro" Nogueira was forced to withdraw from the Sept. 25 fight card due to ailing hips. "Cro Cop" doesn't think he can be 100-percent prepared in just five weeks, but was not about to disappoint the UFC or his fans by turning down the fight. "I am aware that I am not going to be 100-percent for this fight because in this sport five weeks notice is basically last-minute notice. But I know the UFC had no other solution and so I could not refuse the owner of the UFC, who has made me financially secure, or the UFC fans, who I do not want to disappoint."
Did Vince McMahon Inadvertently Help Drive TUF Ratings?
According to former WWE employee and longtime wrestling personality Paul Heyman, yes-at least for the first season of TUF when Raw still aired on Spike. And Heyman tried to stop The Vin-Man from allowing it. "I was there in the room when we decided whether to let The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) come on after Monday Night Raw. They had the right to approve or decline any programming that followed them. I told [the WWE], they better not let [the UFC] on ... Yeah, I'm the a--hole that almost turned it down. [I said] 'You should be afraid of anything that will take away from your pay-per-view dollar. They are going to reach into your pocket, rip it open, and all those dollars are going to flow right there.' Here's the best way I can tell you about Vince McMahon. It's the ultimate Vince control story. If you're in the room with Vince McMahon and he sneezes, go on your Blackberry for the next 20 minutes because nothing you say to him is going to get through ... Cause he gets really p-----d off. Cause he can't control the sneeze."