Georges St. Pierre looking to train with Lyoto Machida
Coming off a dominating performance at the UFC’s most anticipated show ever, UFC 100, Georges St-Pierre has put a stamp on his weight class and is pondering a move up to seek new challenges.
With this prospect on his horizon, he is reaching out to another UFC Champion in Lyoto Machida due to one thing they have in common. It isn’t their UFC belts, rather their matching black belts in Karate.
Franca vs. Griffin UFC 103 Fight Demoted to Prelim
If Tyson Griffin takes another Fight Of The Night award, and he's got a good chance of it against Hermes Franca at UFC 103, the PPV crowd may not see it. Despite Griffin being 5-1 in his last 6 fights with 5 FOTN awards in 8 UFC fights, the fight has been demoted from PPV to prelim, leaving 5 cards on the PPV part of the card.
Is BJ Penn's Legacy on the Line at UFC 101?
At UFC 101 BJ Penn finally gets to answer all the questions. Is he really the best lightweight in the world, or is he overrated? Fans have started questioning the strength of his wins at 155, starting with the win over Jens Pulver. Pulver's gone on such a bad losing streak that the win isn't impressive in retrospect. He got a nice win over Joe Stevenson, but Stevenson went on to suffer a first round loss to Kenny Florian and a decision to Diego Sanchez. His win over Sherk looked impressive until Frankie Edgar easily outboxed Sherk.
After self-described Rocky Balboa moment, Kurt Pellegrino refocused for UFC 101
For UFC lightweight Kurt Pellegrino (13-4 MMA, 5-3 UFC), the decision to leave the warm weather of Florida for the less-friendly confines of Belmar, N.J., was a simple one.
"I really wanted to win again," Pellegrino recently told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). "I got kind of tired of the losing thing. It made me want to vomit and throw up."
Now settled into an environment he feels far more comfortable in, Pellegrino said he's more than ready for his "UFC 101: Declaration" contest with Josh Neer on Aug. 8.
After UFC 89 suspension, teacher-student Chris Leben ready for UFC 102
Prior to his UFC 89 bout with Michael Bisping, a flood of pre-event features focused on Chris Leben's transformation from the reckless and volatile cast member on "The Ultimate Fighter 1" to a maturing fight veteran who seemed to be reshaping his life.
But after his unanimous-decision loss to Michael Bisping in the main event of the October 2008 event in England, the UFC announced its internal drug testing had nabbed Leben for taking a banned anabolic steroid.
During a recent appearance on MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio), Leben, who immediately fessed up and apologized for using the performance-enhancer, said the episode slowed but didn't derail his progress.
Joe Lauzon Responds To Boston Globe Editorial Calling MMA "Human Dogfighting"
A recent editorial (July 29) in The Boston Globe likening MMA to "televised human dogfighting" in repsonse to recent efforts by Massachusetts & New York to legalize MMA has, not surprisingly, drawn the ire of some within the MMA community. UFC fighter Joe Lauzon, in response to this article, wrote his own article/editorial piece in response to this editorial and posted it on his website, joelauzon.com.
UFC 2009: Undisputed patch notes
The martial arts fighting/wrestling game UFC 2009: Undisputed has received a patch update for Xbox 360 and European PS3 territories.
A North American PS3 patch is said to be forthcoming. The patch addresses a few exploits and overdue fixes, as detailed in the changelog below:
UFC 2009: Undisputed patch notes:
• Online matches will better support issues with users who leave a match. The game will now detect users who disconnect and will assign a “Loss,” as well as a “Did Not Finish (DNF),” to that player. The DNF is only assigned to the player who executes the disconnection. The DNF rate will be displayed on the fighter selection screen of the “Online Ranked Match.” When disconnected, the “Winning Streak” is also reset to zero.
• Ranked Matches have been adjusted to match players with better connections.
• The difficulty of performing submissions against computer opponents has been adjusted to improve the balance of submissions vs. striking.
• The Flash Knockouts rate has been adjusted so they are less frequent.
• The maximum number of points awarded in online play has been increased from 99,999 to 999,999. The “Max Level” has also been increased from 100 to 200.
• The “Winning Streak” bonus maximum has been moved from 5 to 3.
• Decimal places on the “Leader Board Winning Percentage” have been changed so that only whole percentages are shown.
• Create-a-Fighter (CAF) issues have been addressed so that the skill levels in CAF cannot be cheated and increased. Also, any CAF with unfair point values will no longer be able to be used online.
• For PLAYSTATION 3 system users, game freezes during auto-saves have been eliminated. The controller used to “Press Start” on the title screen will be identified as the main controller.
I want to thank all of you for the support in making UFC 2009: Undisputed such an amazing success. That being said I want to you to know we’ve been working hard on fixing some of the issues found in the online experience. Hit the jump for the list of fixes.
1. We recognize premature match quitting as the biggest online issue and have taken steps to fix it. The Patch will have integrated code that detects who pulls the cable and will assign a Loss as well as a Did Not Finish to that player. The DNF is only counted for the player who executes the disconnection. The DNF rate will be displayed on the fighter selection screen of the Online Ranked Match. When disconnected the Winning Streak is also reset to 0.
2. We’ve adjusted Ranked Matches to match up players with better connections, which will improve lag issues we’ve seen to date.
3. We’ve adjusted the difficulty of performing submissions against AI opponents to improve the balance of subs vs. striking when playing against the AI.
4. We’ve adjusted the Flash KO rate so that they are less frequent.
5. We’ve increased maximum number of points awarded in online play from 99,999 to 999,999 and we’ve increased the Max Level from 100 to 200.
6. We’ve lowered the Winning Streak Bonus Max from 5 to 3.
7. We’ve removed the decimal places on the Leaderboard Winning Percentage so we only show whole percentages.
8. We’ve addressed the CAF cheat so the skill levels in CAF cannot be cheated and increased. Also any CAF with unfair point values will no longer be able to be used Online.
9. For PS3 users we’ve also fixed a bug that causes a freeze during auto-save; whichever controller was used to Press Start on the Title Screen will be identified as the main controller.
Rest assured our entire team plays A LOT of online matches and we read the boards every day, so we are well aware of the issues. We want to make sure we patch this correctly so it is taking a bit of time, but I can confidently say we’ll be releasing this patch soon.
Stay tuned and thanks again for your support.
Franklin Belfort @ 195
First the opponent, now the weight class?
Former UFC middleweight champion Rich Franklin's (25-4 MMA, 12-3 UFC) training plans continue to change, and a recently announced UFC 103 main-event bout with Vitor Belfort (16-8 MMA, 7-4 UFC) will now take place at a catchweight of 195 pounds instead of the originally announced light heavyweight class.
Czar Wars: Vadim ‘The Dream’ Finkelchtein still interested in negotiating with Dana White
He just doesn’t like doing laundry in public…
“There have been recent reports stating that talk between M-1 Global and the UFC regarding Fedor fighting in the UFC have ended. Like some of the other reports that have surfaced, this is incorrect. It is unfortunate that so much incorrect information has been leaked to the public. It is M-1’s preference not to negotiate in public and we are unsure why people claim that Fedor and M-1 turned down a six fight, $30 million contract to fight in the UFC when no such offer was ever made."
Dana White and the UFC Brass Got Played By Fedor Emelianenko Because They Love the Sport
Many in the UFC were uncomfortable even with this, the largest guarantee they have made in their history. Company insiders expressed concerns about Fedor's doughy physique, his inability to speak English, and the difficulty of working with his management team. Still, these insiders say that Dana White and Lorenzo Fertitta are absolutely obsessed with getting Fedor in the company.
"They sometimes let their heart control their brain," an insider said. "It's like when they paid too much for PRIDE. It makes them crazy that they don't have this guy in the company."