Joe Lauzon Responds To Boston Globe Editorial Calling MMA "Human Dogfighting"
A recent editorial (July 29) in The Boston Globe likening MMA to "televised human dogfighting" in repsonse to recent efforts by Massachusetts & New York to legalize MMA has, not surprisingly, drawn the ire of some within the MMA community. UFC fighter Joe Lauzon, in response to this article, wrote his own article/editorial piece in response to this editorial and posted it on his website, joelauzon.com.
UFC 2009: Undisputed patch notes
The martial arts fighting/wrestling game UFC 2009: Undisputed has received a patch update for Xbox 360 and European PS3 territories.
A North American PS3 patch is said to be forthcoming. The patch addresses a few exploits and overdue fixes, as detailed in the changelog below:
UFC 2009: Undisputed patch notes:
• Online matches will better support issues with users who leave a match. The game will now detect users who disconnect and will assign a “Loss,” as well as a “Did Not Finish (DNF),” to that player. The DNF is only assigned to the player who executes the disconnection. The DNF rate will be displayed on the fighter selection screen of the “Online Ranked Match.” When disconnected, the “Winning Streak” is also reset to zero.
• Ranked Matches have been adjusted to match players with better connections.
• The difficulty of performing submissions against computer opponents has been adjusted to improve the balance of submissions vs. striking.
• The Flash Knockouts rate has been adjusted so they are less frequent.
• The maximum number of points awarded in online play has been increased from 99,999 to 999,999. The “Max Level” has also been increased from 100 to 200.
• The “Winning Streak” bonus maximum has been moved from 5 to 3.
• Decimal places on the “Leader Board Winning Percentage” have been changed so that only whole percentages are shown.
• Create-a-Fighter (CAF) issues have been addressed so that the skill levels in CAF cannot be cheated and increased. Also, any CAF with unfair point values will no longer be able to be used online.
• For PLAYSTATION 3 system users, game freezes during auto-saves have been eliminated. The controller used to “Press Start” on the title screen will be identified as the main controller.
I want to thank all of you for the support in making UFC 2009: Undisputed such an amazing success. That being said I want to you to know we’ve been working hard on fixing some of the issues found in the online experience. Hit the jump for the list of fixes.
1. We recognize premature match quitting as the biggest online issue and have taken steps to fix it. The Patch will have integrated code that detects who pulls the cable and will assign a Loss as well as a Did Not Finish to that player. The DNF is only counted for the player who executes the disconnection. The DNF rate will be displayed on the fighter selection screen of the Online Ranked Match. When disconnected the Winning Streak is also reset to 0.
2. We’ve adjusted Ranked Matches to match up players with better connections, which will improve lag issues we’ve seen to date.
3. We’ve adjusted the difficulty of performing submissions against AI opponents to improve the balance of subs vs. striking when playing against the AI.
4. We’ve adjusted the Flash KO rate so that they are less frequent.
5. We’ve increased maximum number of points awarded in online play from 99,999 to 999,999 and we’ve increased the Max Level from 100 to 200.
6. We’ve lowered the Winning Streak Bonus Max from 5 to 3.
7. We’ve removed the decimal places on the Leaderboard Winning Percentage so we only show whole percentages.
8. We’ve addressed the CAF cheat so the skill levels in CAF cannot be cheated and increased. Also any CAF with unfair point values will no longer be able to be used Online.
9. For PS3 users we’ve also fixed a bug that causes a freeze during auto-save; whichever controller was used to Press Start on the Title Screen will be identified as the main controller.
Rest assured our entire team plays A LOT of online matches and we read the boards every day, so we are well aware of the issues. We want to make sure we patch this correctly so it is taking a bit of time, but I can confidently say we’ll be releasing this patch soon.
Stay tuned and thanks again for your support.
Franklin Belfort @ 195
First the opponent, now the weight class?
Former UFC middleweight champion Rich Franklin's (25-4 MMA, 12-3 UFC) training plans continue to change, and a recently announced UFC 103 main-event bout with Vitor Belfort (16-8 MMA, 7-4 UFC) will now take place at a catchweight of 195 pounds instead of the originally announced light heavyweight class.
Czar Wars: Vadim ‘The Dream’ Finkelchtein still interested in negotiating with Dana White
He just doesn’t like doing laundry in public…
“There have been recent reports stating that talk between M-1 Global and the UFC regarding Fedor fighting in the UFC have ended. Like some of the other reports that have surfaced, this is incorrect. It is unfortunate that so much incorrect information has been leaked to the public. It is M-1’s preference not to negotiate in public and we are unsure why people claim that Fedor and M-1 turned down a six fight, $30 million contract to fight in the UFC when no such offer was ever made."
Dana White and the UFC Brass Got Played By Fedor Emelianenko Because They Love the Sport
Many in the UFC were uncomfortable even with this, the largest guarantee they have made in their history. Company insiders expressed concerns about Fedor's doughy physique, his inability to speak English, and the difficulty of working with his management team. Still, these insiders say that Dana White and Lorenzo Fertitta are absolutely obsessed with getting Fedor in the company.
"They sometimes let their heart control their brain," an insider said. "It's like when they paid too much for PRIDE. It makes them crazy that they don't have this guy in the company."
M-1 Official: UFC Is WWE of MMA
M-1 USA Vice President Jerry Millen says M-1 is only asking for what is best for the sport.
"The closest thing to it, you've got a basketball and you're at a basketball court -- and I know this sounds silly, but you go to the basketball court with your basketball," Millen tells FanHouse. "And there's a guy there with a pocketful of money and goes 'Hey man, I'm going to buy your ball and you're going to sit in the bench and watch me play ball with your ball.' To me that's a sell-out."
It's not about the money, Millen says, it's about the growth of the sport.
FLORIAN READY TO PROVE EVERYBODY WRONG
"If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying." – Bruce Lee
Steadily climbing the ranks over the last year, top lightweight contender Kenny Florian has stayed as humble as any fighter in the game despite reeling off six wins in a row, and becoming one of the top 155-pound fighters in the world. Still, Florian believes that he had a lot to learn after his win over Joe Stevenson before facing lightweight champion B.J. Penn on Aug. 8 at UFC 101 in Philadelphia.
The future of Tito Ortiz's career "will be made today," UFC media call a coincidence?
Former UFC light heavyweight champion Tito Ortiz, one of the biggest stars in UFC history, hasn't fought since May 2008, but according to a recent MySpace bulletin from the fighter, "The future of my career will be made [today]."
Ortiz posted the bulletin on Thursday night teasing a big announcement that will be made today.
Perhaps not coincidentally, the UFC has a media call planned today in which company president Dana White promises to "break the latest UFC news."
Dan Lauzon and Rafaello Oliveira Sign With UFC, Square Off at UFC 103
Two more Affliction cast-offs have found a new home with the UFC, as lightweights Dan "the Upgrade" Lauzon and Rafaello "Tractor" Oliveira have signed with the organization, and will face each other in the Octagon at UFC 103 in Dallas in September. Jason Benfari at FiveKnuckles.com has the report:
A source close to the event has informed FiveKnuckles.com that Dan Lauzon will square off against long time B.J. Penn training partner Rafaello Oliveira at UFC 103 in Dallas, TX. The fight is expected to be announced by Dana White as part of a UFC press conference tomorrow.
M-1: Fedor Not Offered $30 Million
M-1 Global is denying a report that Fedor Emelianenko turned down a six-fight $30-million deal this week to join the UFC’s heavyweight ranks.
CBS Radio host Carmichael Dave reported Wednesday that Emelianenko had turned down an agreement that would have paid him $5 million per fight. However, Joost Raimond, CEO for M-1 Global, called the report “completely ludicrous” and said negotiations never even reached the point where the number of fights contracted for Emelianenko was decided.
“I can say that the guaranteed -- and the word ‘guaranteed’ is of great importance here -- the guaranteed offer made by the UFC is less than what Fedor made before,” Raimond said. “The five-million (per fight) is way, way, way out of range. Half of that is even way out of range of what they offered.”
Raimond was not present at the meeting that took place between UFC and M-1 management in Los Angeles earlier this week, but he said he was debriefed shortly afterward. M-1 and UFC officials, including president Dana White, reconvened the next day via teleconference call, where M-1 presented a counteroffer that included co-promotion. No written contact was ever presented.
M-1 President Vadim Finkelstein and Emelianenko were en route to Russia Thursday and could not be reached for comment. UFC officials told Sherdog.com that White is also traveling and their earliest comment would come Friday during a media conference call.
Raimond confirmed that M-1 Global had been presented with the possibility to receive a cut of pay-per-view profits in addition to Emelianenko’s guaranteed pay, but he said no other profit-sharing incentives were presented.
“And there were a number of provisions attached to that offer that made it very much less interesting,” Raimond said.
Many of those provisions involved the branding of M-1 within the UFC organization, according to Raimond.
“We made it clear that Fedor, now and forever is part, even part owner, of M-1 and those two cannot be separated,” Raimond said. “If the rest of M-1 is excluded from any kind of deal, it makes the deal difficult.”
This is from Loretta Hunt... so you take it however you want to.
Tamdan McCrory May Move To Middleweight
Evidently you can't just have a growth spurt as a kid, even as an adult you can have them-they just call it a "man spurt". UFC Welterweight Tamdan McCrory evidently had one recently and he's at that point in life where he's having one, and thus he is considering a move up to Middleweight. And even possibly Light Heavyweight at some point, but he plans to stay at Welterweight as long as possible.