UFC Cuts Goran Reljic
The losers' aftermath from UFC 122 has officially begun, and first to get Das Boot is Goran Reljic. Sources close to the situation have confirmed that Reljic has been released by UFC following a decision loss to Krzyzstof Soszynski, his 3rd loss in a row after starting his career 8-0. He was 1-3 in UFC but lost the better part of 2 years to a back injury that kept him out until this February.
Matt Hughes Will Have Fun, Fun Fun Until Dana Takes The Division Away
In other words, Hughes is now fighting to have fun, not to not lose. "Cutting the pressure out has made it a lot more fun. All in all I’m just having a great experience when it comes to fighting. I’m going out there to win and to have fun as opposed to fighting not to lose. I changed my training camp up and got around more positive people. I also got a lot of support from my wife. Put it all together and it really cut the pressure. If Dana comes to me and says they want me to make a run at the title, then that's fine ... But the way I see it, I’m set. I’ve never been a guy to chase the record books. I’m just looking to have a good time and compete. When [my career is over], I’m sure I'll miss it. But when I retire, I don't think it'll be because I don't like competing. It will be because my heart and mind aren't in it." Hughes next fights BJ Penn for a 3rd time Saturday.
Dana: No Decisions Yet On TUF 13 Coaches
Dana White loves Twitter. During today's pre-event press conference for UFC 123 in Detroit, the UFC's head honcho talked about the effectiveness of having 1.2 million fans providing instant feedback on his decisions. So if you have an idea for which fighters should coach the upcoming 13th season of "The Ultimate Fighter," get your suggestions in. As of today, White said no coaches have been determined. "We haven't decided who the coaches will be yet," White said. "I've been on the road for two weeks now, and I don't go home till Sunday. And then I'm back on the road on Wednesday. I need to get back in the office ... and get some [expletive] done." TUF 13 begins production in January for an April premiere, and the only thing known about the season at this time appears to be the weight classes-Welterweights & Middleweights.
Ohi-No: UFC Not Returning To Ohio In March
The annual Arnold Festival weekend in March in Columbus, Ohio will be missing something next year-UFC. Dana White today confirmed that the organization won't return to the Buckeye State for the usual Arnold Sports Festival weekend show. UFC ran that weekend from 2007-09, then WEC took the spot last year. "We're definitely not (going to Columbus) this year," said White, referring to 2011. The WEC-UFC merger likely was the clincher, without it WEC probably would've run Ohio again that weekend and UFC currently has 2 shows planned around the Arnolds-UFC 127 in Australia in late February and a tentative Middle East event in mid-March.
UFC Prelims Expected To Return In 2011, But Deal Not Yet Official
After a successful full year of the specials, the "UFC Prelims" broadcasts appear they'll return in 2011. The one-hour specials, which air on Spike TV, feature two live preliminary-card fights and precede major event's pay-per-view broadcasts. Dana White said today he expects the specials to return, but Spike TV officials declined to comment, presumably due to the ongoing negotiations that they first must wrap up with the UFC.
UFC President Dana White: This Is Tito Ortiz’s Last Stand
One last shot.
That’s what Tito Ortiz asked for, and that’s what Tito Ortiz is going to get.
After losing a three-round decision to Matt Hamill at UFC 121, most people felt that Ortiz, after years of calling the UFC home, would be shown the door out of the Octagon. Mounting a record of 0-4-1 in his last five fights, that is what UFC president Dana White thought about Ortiz’s future as well.
“I thought I was gonna cut him, too,” he told MMAWeekly.com, when posed with the idea that most people thought Ortiz would be cut loose after UFC 121.
But just last week in Germany, White said that Ortiz would be returning to the Octagon in early 2011 to fight Antonio Rogerio Nogueira. The UFC president didn’t reveal a date or location, but it is widely believed to be taking place in Abu Dhabi in March.
Ludwig Requires Surgery for Broken Hand
UFC veteran Duane “Bang” Ludwig will undergo surgery to repair a broken right hand sustained in the first round of his split decision victory over Brit Nick Osipczak at UFC 122 at the Konig Pilsener Arena in Oberhausen, Germany.
Ludwig tweeted the news Wednesday morning, announcing that he had broken his right hand in two places during his victory and would see a new specialist today. A few hours later, the Grudge Training Center product announced that he would require surgery. It is unknown at this time when Ludwig will undergo the procedure. Sherdog could not reach Ludwig for comment.
Strikeforce's Dan Henderson committed to 205 pounds, not considering retirement
Next month's main event and rematch with Renato "Babalu" Sobral (36-8 MMA, 2-1 SF) is a big fight for former UFC and PRIDE star Dan Henderson (25-8 MMA, 0-1 SF).
But it's unlikely to be the final bout for the 40-year-old fighter and 13-year MMA veteran.
With a move back to light heavyweight following a failed big to win the Strikeforce middleweight title, Henderson said he feels great heading into Showtime's Dec. 4 headliner.
The event, "Strikeforce: Henderson vs. Babalu," takes place at the Scottrade Center in St. Louis.
"I have always felt comfortable at 205," said Henderson, who previously held PRIDE titles in both weight classes, during a media conference call. "I have never felt weak or out-powered. I can eat a good meal the night before the fight. ... It's one less thing I need to worry about before the fight. I am hanging out at 203, 204 (pounds)."
Stefan Struve plans to bulk up to 290 pounds before rematching Roy Nelson and Junior dos Santos
UFC heavyweight skyscraper, Stefan Struve has been speaking about his goal of bulking up over the next couple of years to a massive 290 pounds before rematching the two men to defeat him inside the octagon, Roy Nelson and Junior dos Santos.
Speaking via Fighters Only Magazine, Struve said:
“Well, I only turned 21 a few days before the fight. I was at 235 I believe and if you see these guys running round, well.. Dos Santos is a beast. I need more muscle and more power, but that will come in the next couple of years. I would like to have a rematch with Roy and Dos Santos at some point in my career to see if I did improve. I am pretty sure I did. I want to go up to 290 to see what trouble I give them. Right now I weigh 255 so its going good.”
Featherweights Mike Brown and Diego Nunes official for UFC 125 clash
Nearly seven years after first fighting in the octagon, one-time UFC veteran Mike Brown (24-6 MMA, 6-2 WEC) returns to the promotion's cage on Jan. 1.
UFC brass today officially announced that the former lightweight contender meets Brazilian featherweight Diego Nunes (15-1 MMA, 4-1 WEC) at UFC 125 in both fighters' first bout after the pending UFC-WEC merger.
UFC 122 on Spike TV draws average audience of 2.2 million viewers
The past weekend's Spike TV broadcast of "UFC 122: Marquardt vs. Okami" scored an average audience of 2.2 million viewers, the cable station today announced.
The event took place Nov. 13 at the Konig Pilsener Arena in Oberhausen, Germany, and aired via same-day tape delay on Spike TV.
UFC 122 earned a 1.4 household rating, which includes a 2.0 rating among men ages 18-49 and a 2.16 among males ages 18-34.
Don't Let Karo Parisyan Catch You Dancing, Bro
Ahead of his UFC reutrn at UFC 123 against Dennis Hallman, he likens his chosen discipline of judo to dance. "Best thing about me, when I grab my opponent and I clinch with them, it's pretty easy for me to feel their weakness and their strength. I get them to dance. As soon as they start dancing, that's when I catch them. Judo is a dance. You dance with your partner and he makes a mistake and you catch him, you throw them on their head. It's very easy for me sometimes to throw opponents. At the same time, sometimes I feel like I'm cheating, sometimes it's so easy, with foot sweeps and all my hip tosses, and all the other arm drags or whatever people think I do. I think it all comes down to feel. I say that once and I'll always say it. Everything comes down to feel. You have to feel your opponent. Just like boxing, it's timing. Everything is timing and everything comes to that part where you have to feel, where it becomes second nature. It's like, 'How do you do it?' I don't know. It just happens. It's second nature. I feel it. And I feel the judo."
UFC-WEC Merger Will Not Include Alex Karalexis
We now know that not all current WEC fighters are going to UFC as part of the upcoming merger-Alex Karalexis is not UFC-bound. In fact, he actually has been released by Zuffa. Karalexis last fought in April, losing by submission to ANthony Pettis. He was to have faced Zhang Tie Quan at WEC 51 but withdrew due to injury. He was 4-3 in WEC but just 1-3 in his last 4 fights.
UFC 123's "Rampage" vs. Machida winner gets title shot? UFC boss not sure
With UFC 122 in the books, the focus now turns to Saturday's UFC 123 headliner between former champions Lyoto Machida and Quinton "Rampage" Jackson.
And though the light-heavyweight bout may seem a likely No. 1 contender's bout, UFC president Dana White told MMAjunkie.com he's not ready to promise a title shot to the winner just yet.
"I don't know," he told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "The fight has to happen first (before I decide)."
Saturday's pay-per-view show takes place at the Palace of Auburn Hills in suburban Detroit and is bolstered by a B.J. Penn vs. Matt Hughes co-headliner. But the bout that could have the biggest and most immediate impact on its division is Machida (16-1 MMA, 8-1 UFC) vs. Jackson (30-8 MMA, 5-2 UFC).
UFC boss says Rua vs. Evans on target for March, "Suga" comfortable with schedule
While a recent ESPN.com report suggested that former UFC light heavyweight champion Rashad Evans (15-1-1 MMA, 10-1-1 UFC) was upset at sitting on the sidelines while waiting for current champ Mauricio "Shogun" Rua (19-4 MMA, 3-2 UFC) to heal from knee surgery, UFC president Dana White said "Suga" is doing just fine.
White was initially baffled by Evans' comments in the report, which suggested he was frustrated at Rua's recovery schedule, but the UFC boss says the two have since worked through any hard feelings and everything is on track for 2011.
"Rashad and I talked right after that whole goofy incident," White said. "We're cool."
Despite Fight Cancellation, Both Rivera & Sakara Paid
Despite a last-minute cancellation of their UFC 122 co-main event, Jorge Rivera and Alessio Sakara both received pay for the fight. According to Dana White, Sakara got paid his show money, but Rivera got both his show money and what would've been his win bonus. "Do we not take care of guys?" White asked MMAjunkie.com when questioned about their pay. "Jorge actually got both (his show money and win bonus)." UFC officials aren't required to pay fighters in such situations but usually do. The fact that Sakara had hoped to fight through his illness likely won him the respect and loyalty of White and Co. It's not known how much each fighter actually got and also no word on if they'll try the fight again.
Riddle-Pierson Completes UFC 124 Card
UFC newcomer Sean Pierson will take on “Ultimate Fighter” alum Matt Riddle in a preliminary matchup at UFC 124 Dec. 11 at the Bell Centre in Montreal. Made official by the promotion, the welterweight bout finalizes the show’s 11-fight card.
Riddle was originally set to meet Anthony “TJ” Waldburger, but Pierson was tapped as a replacement in late October when Waldburger was forced from the match due an undisclosed injury.
Jonathan Goulet Decides To Hang Up His Gloves
French Canadian mixed martial artist Jonathan “The Road Warrior” Goulet has announced his decision to call it quits on his career. Goulet entered the UFC octagon nine times in his career and recorded a 4-5 record. On his career, Goulet earned himself a 23-12 record.
Listening to public sentiment, UFC boss says he'll re-think Lesnar vs. Mir III
Just one day after suggesting Lesnar vs. Mir III is a fight that "kind of makes sense" in the heavyweight division, UFC president Dana White now admits feedback received on his Twitter account is leading him away from arranging the matchup.
"People have been saying on my Twitter that they're not happy with that fight," White told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "It's something I need to re-think."