Gouveia focused on Marquardt and possible title shot with a win
Wilson Gouveia trains at one of the best MMA training camps in the world, American Top Team. But even with the star-studded roster at ATT, almost every fighter there will point to Gouveia as the most talented fighter in the camp.
Gouveia has tried to cultivate that talent in the light heavyweight division and had early success. After a loss to Keith Jardine in his first UFC bout, he rattled off four wins in a row before running into a speed bump that goes by the name Goran Reljic.
Jon ‘Bones’ Jones: It’s not who you know, it’s how hard you work
I kind of had the impression they gave Stephan (Bonnar) the fight against me to give him a good comeback fight, fighting a guy who’s inexperienced. I didn’t want to be anyone’s stepping stone so I decided to reach out and grab this opportunity and make Stephan Bonnar my stepping stone … I knew beating Stephan would be gigantic for me. I believe you really don’t need the biggest name coaches to be successful in your career. I’m out here in a little small town in upstate New York, there is no one on my coaching staff you’ve ever heard of, but we know how to work hard and we know how to push ourselves. We proved it. You don’t need the big names to be successful.
Electrifying light heavyweight prospect Jon Jones talks to host Larry Pepe on MMAmania.com’s exclusive presentation of Pro MMA Radio regarding his impressive win over Stephan Bonnar at UFC 94 “St. Pierre vs. Penn 2? on January 31. The national Junior College Champion out of Iowa Central Community College dropped out of school to pursue a career in mixed martial arts and is dispelling the myth that you have to align yourself with one of the big name training camps in order to be successful in MMA. It’s hard to argue with a guy who continues to consistently perform at his level at just 21 years of age.
For the audio replay of Jones’ appearance click
Final UFC 97 Card Revealed
That sure didn't take long...just 2 days after UFC officials successfully negotiated a deal to keep UFC 97 in Montreal, the full card has been revealed. 5 fights are scheduled to air on PPV headlined by UFC Middleweight Champion Anderson Silva vs. Thales Leites.
Couture At UFC 99: Promoting, Not Fighting
According to a source close to Randy Couture, the former UFC Champion will not be fighting at UFC 99 as previously rumored due to movie commitments and need for a proper 8 week training camp. Couture will, however, assist the UFC in a yet-undefined promotional role for the event.
UFC 99 - Penn Vs Florian Headlines, CroCop/Couture Not On Card
Randy Couture is not fighting Mirko ‘CroCop’ Filopovic at UFC 99 in Germany, Fighters Only can confirm.
Rumours emerged today that the former heavyweight champion would be fighting the Croatian kick boxer on the UFC’s first venture into continental Europe.
But Fighters Only’s source says that Couture is not interested in fighting Filopovic on the June card, and has declined to appear on the June card at all.
The same source said that BJ Penn will headline UFC 99 in a lightweight title defence against Kenny Florian.
''Bisping Is One Fight From A Title Shot''
Michael Bisping is just one fight away from being thrown into the middleweight title mix, according to UFC president Dana White.
Speaking to Fighters Only recently, White revealed that "people keep asking, when is he going to fight Anderson Silva?"
"Mike's a great fighter, we saw that when we first came to the UK and first met him," he said. "But things take time, you got to build a guy up and give him his time.
UFC 99 - Wanderlei Silva Vs Rich Franklin
The Ultimate Fighting Championship is set to make its German debut on June 13 at the Lanxess Arena in Cologne. While several fights have been rumored for the event over the past couple of months, most have not come to fruition.
MMAWeekly.com on Wednesday, however, was able to confirm through multiple independent sources that former UFC middleweight champion Rich Franklin and former Pride 205-pound champion Wanderlei Silva have agreed to fight each other at UFC 99.
Franklin has fought his last two bouts at light heavyweight, returning to the division after running into a brick wall named Anderson Silva at middleweight. Even though Wanderlei Silva's fights in the UFC have all been at 205-pounds to this point, he has made public his intention of wanting to move down to the 185-pound division.
"I talk with (UFC matchmaker) Joe Silva and... say no problem, I'm down for 185? He say, no problem," Silva said in a recent interview with MMAWeekly.com, but adding, "I could fight in both divisions; I could fight 185 and 205."
It appears that he may not fight at either weight come June 13. Though it is too soon for bout agreements, sources have indicated that Franklin and Silva have agreed to face each other at a catch weight somewhere in the neighborhood of 195 pounds.
UFC announces TV deal to broadcast in France
The Ultimate Fighting Championship's European invasion shows no signs of slowing down.
As MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) reported on Saturday, the German station DSF will begin airing UFC-related content, including past episodes of "UFC Unleashed" and major pay-per-view events, next month.
Now, the UFC has announced a similar deal with RTL9 that will open the organization up to more than 14 million French-language homes across France and other European and African locales.
Dana White looking to bolster UFC talent roster
Some big name fighters have been linked to the UFC in the past few months. In a recent conversation with Dana White, he commented on the status of the fighters.
To start, the UFC is looking to bring in some Japanese talent to the promotion. They are very close to a new deal with Caol Uno, with published reports indicating he could return to the UFC at UFC 99. The UFC has also expressed major interest in both Norifumi “Kid” Yamamoto and Satoshi Ishii.
However, one guy White has not had discussions with is the former PRIDE lightweight champion Takanori Gomi.
“I haven’t talked with Gomi,” stated White.
With St. Pierre vs. Alves likely, Mike Swick still unsure of next move
While UFC welterweight Mike Swick (13-2 MMA, 8-1 UFC) had made it very clear in recent months that he was hoping for a bout with Thiago Alves in the near future, recent events have forced a change of plans.
With "Pitbull" in line for a 170-pound title shot with Georges St. Pierre, Swick is now unsure of what comes next.
As Swick today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com), he's still hoping for a bout that will clear his path to title contention.
"I'll fight whoever, but I would really like to have a bout that's going to put me in the top ranking if I have a good performance and I win," Swick said. "I'm 8-1 in the UFC, and I feel like I definitely deserve a big fight.
"I want to get out there. I'm training hard. I want to prove that I belong in the contendership at 170 pounds."
Swick has now won three-straight bouts since dropping to the 170-pound class after a 5-1 run in the UFC's middleweight division. Swick last fought in December 2008 in a 33-second TKO win over Jonathan Goulet. The American Kickboxing Academy fighter now hopes to be back in action in May or June.
"I'm healing up a foot injury that I've had," Swick said. "It should be pretty good to go pretty soon. I figure May or June should be about when I come back."
Unlike his ailing elbow which required surgery in July 2008, Swick said his foot is healing fine with a bit of rest.
"It was just a broken bone in my foot that's just been kind of lingering on," Swick said. "I've been training through it and not letting it heal, and it keeps getting agitated. I'm still training right now, but I'm just trying to heal up as fast as I can so I can get back to fighting."
David Loiseau 'The Crow Returns to the UFC' Interview
David Loiseau 'The Crow Returns to the UFC'
PunchDrunkGamer's Justin Bolduc sat down with David “The Crow” Loiseau to talk about his UFC return against Ed Herman at UFC 97 in April.
PDG: First, it is great to have you back in the UFC. How do you feel about your upcoming return?
David: I feel great, man. It feels good to be back home. [The UFC] is my home. It was a long time since I've been back – since 2006, and I'm just very happy to be back, man.
Demian Maia: The gentleman black belt
The National Hockey League presents an annual award called the Lady Byng Memorial Trophy. According to NHL.com, the Lady Byng is an annual award given to the player adjudged to have exhibited the best type of sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct.
MMA is not a sport that offers accommodations for congeniality but if there was a Lady Byng Trophy in MMA, undefeated UFC Brazilian middleweight Demian Maia would be a leading contender.
Zuffa aiming for UFC live events and programming in neighboring Mexico
In addition to its exploits in Europe, Zuffa was wildly successful with its debut in Canada last year at the Montreal-held UFC 83 “Serra vs. St. Pierre 2.” Now they hope to replicate that success with UFC 97 “Redemption” — assuming the UFC brass can convince the Quebec Athletic Commission to lower their swords.
With that, the UFC has conquered two of the three major markets they set their sites on in early 2006. While events in Germany, Italy and Japan are all a part of the organization’s aggressive growth strategy, neighboring Mexico has somehow still eluded them.
Though that may be just a matter of time.
Parisyan Remains Under Temporary Suspension
Keith Kizer, executive director for the Nevada State Athletic Commission, said the suspension of UFC welterweight Karo Parisyan will hold until a formal complaint against him is heard at the regulatory body’s next meeting in mid-March.
Kizer, on Feb. 10, issued a temporary suspension of the 26-year-old athlete when his post-UFC 94 drug test revealed the presence of painkillers Hydrocodone, Hydromorphoone, and Oxycodone.
During a commission meeting on Tuesday afternoon in Las Vegas, NSAC officials concluded its agenda could not accommodate a “full” hearing of the complaint against Parisyan, and that both officials and Parisyan needed more notice before the commission levies a formal decision on the matter.
UFC signs lightweight Josh Neer to a new four-fight deal
Following his second-round submission victory over "The Ultimate Fighter 6" winner Mac Danzig earlier this month at UFC Fight Night 17, lightweight Josh Neer (25-7-1 MMA, 4-4 UFC) has signed a new four-fight contract with the UFC.
Mickey Dubberly, CEO of KO Dynasty, today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) of his client's signing.
The new deal deal comes after a stretch in which Neer has gone 4-1 in his past five fights and 8-2 since November 2006.