M-1: Fedor Not Offered $30 Million
M-1 Global is denying a report that Fedor Emelianenko turned down a six-fight $30-million deal this week to join the UFC’s heavyweight ranks.
CBS Radio host Carmichael Dave reported Wednesday that Emelianenko had turned down an agreement that would have paid him $5 million per fight. However, Joost Raimond, CEO for M-1 Global, called the report “completely ludicrous” and said negotiations never even reached the point where the number of fights contracted for Emelianenko was decided.
“I can say that the guaranteed -- and the word ‘guaranteed’ is of great importance here -- the guaranteed offer made by the UFC is less than what Fedor made before,” Raimond said. “The five-million (per fight) is way, way, way out of range. Half of that is even way out of range of what they offered.”
Raimond was not present at the meeting that took place between UFC and M-1 management in Los Angeles earlier this week, but he said he was debriefed shortly afterward. M-1 and UFC officials, including president Dana White, reconvened the next day via teleconference call, where M-1 presented a counteroffer that included co-promotion. No written contact was ever presented.
M-1 President Vadim Finkelstein and Emelianenko were en route to Russia Thursday and could not be reached for comment. UFC officials told Sherdog.com that White is also traveling and their earliest comment would come Friday during a media conference call.
Raimond confirmed that M-1 Global had been presented with the possibility to receive a cut of pay-per-view profits in addition to Emelianenko’s guaranteed pay, but he said no other profit-sharing incentives were presented.
“And there were a number of provisions attached to that offer that made it very much less interesting,” Raimond said.
Many of those provisions involved the branding of M-1 within the UFC organization, according to Raimond.
“We made it clear that Fedor, now and forever is part, even part owner, of M-1 and those two cannot be separated,” Raimond said. “If the rest of M-1 is excluded from any kind of deal, it makes the deal difficult.”
This is from Loretta Hunt... so you take it however you want to.
Tamdan McCrory May Move To Middleweight
Evidently you can't just have a growth spurt as a kid, even as an adult you can have them-they just call it a "man spurt". UFC Welterweight Tamdan McCrory evidently had one recently and he's at that point in life where he's having one, and thus he is considering a move up to Middleweight. And even possibly Light Heavyweight at some point, but he plans to stay at Welterweight as long as possible.
Finkelstein on UFC Talks, Fedor’s Future
Vadim Finkelstein discusses negotiations with the UFC and the terms it will take to lock up Fedor Emelianenko in this exclusive video interview conducted after Wednesday's M-1 Global press conference.
Finkelstein also talks about future options for the world’s top heavyweight mixed martial artist.
Doesn't sound good... and what is with not letting Fedor have the contract with Affliction, but have M-1 have the contract with Affliction?
Paul 'Semtex' Daley Still in Negotiations with UFC, Others
British welterweight Paul "Semtex" Daley is still in negotiations with a number of promotions and a deal with the UFC has not yet been finalized, contrary to the reports Wednesday of a four-fight deal.
"These reports are premature, we have signed nothing," Daley's manager told FanHouse Thursday morning. "We're in talks with groups, one of whom includes the UFC."
UFC is no longer interested in Andrei Arlovski
Of all the fighters to recently exit the UFC, Andrei Arlovski was the guy that Dana White stated he was not pleased to see depart.
Back in December 2008 when asked about Arlovski, White said, “In nine years, there’s only one fighter that I’ve lost that I didn’t want to lose.”
However, after recording two straight defeats to Fedor Emelianenko and Brett Rogers, Arlovski is no longer high on the UFC’s shopping list.
Emelianenko team: More to MMA than UFC
The difficulties that the Ultimate Fighting Championship has in trying to sign Russian heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko can be traced back to one prevailing attitude among his management team.
"The UFC won't be able to control the whole world," said Vadim Finkelstein, the president of Emelianenko's main promoter, M-1 Global.
Paul Daley signs multi fight UFC deal
British fighter Paul Daley (21-8-2 MMA, 0-0 UFC) has reportedly signed a four-fight deal with the UFC and will join the organization's roster of welterweight fighters.
I'm personally looking forward to his debut.
WEC AND UFC BACK-TO-BACK LIKELY IN FUTURE
It’s not especially convenient logistically for Zuffa, LLC, the parent company of the Ultimate Fighting Championship and World Extreme Cagefighting, to have the two promotions running events on back-to-back nights, but it makes for an enticing weekend of mixed martial arts for fans.
Stephan Bonnar ready to erase memory of Mark Coleman loss, would happily fight Tito Ortiz
We've all heard the rumors of Tito Ortiz's possible return to the UFC.
UFC light heavyweight Stephan Bonnar has heard them, too.
Bonnar, who recently dropped a unanimous decision to Mark Coleman at UFC 100, today told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio) he doesn't have an upcoming fight scheduled, but he's certainly willing to head the welcome wagon for "The Huntington Beach Bad Boy's" potential return to the octagon.
UFC legend and OSU grad 'The Hammer' speaks
The list of accolades for Mark Coleman reads like the attendee list at a Harvard alumni dinner:
• NCAA wrestling champion at Ohio State second place in the 1991 World Freestyle Wrestling championships
• seventh place in wrestling at the 1992 Summer Olympics
• first-ever Ultimate Fighting Championships (UFC) champion, UFC 10 and 11 tournament champion, Pride Grand Prix 2000 champion
• UFC Hall of Fame inductee
Los Angeles Times Reporter Sticks to Fedor Emelianenko Report
For a brief moment on Tuesday, the MMA world held its collective breath when news broke that Fedor Emelianenko and the UFC were "finalizing" a deal.
Lance Pugmire of the Los Angeles Times reported on the newspaper's Web site that a deal between both sides "is expected to be announced by UFC President Dana White on Friday." However, several hours later, M-1 Global's Apy Echteld told SI.com's Josh Gross, "I can give you a guarantee it's not accurate."
Pugmire, however, is standing by his story. Kind of.
Quinton Jackson Feels Threatened by Rashad Evans
So says, not surprisingly, Rashad Evans. In recent comments to FightHype on filming of TUF 10, Evans said the two were basically Tito Ortiz & Ken Shamrock all the time they were together in terms of wanting to get their hands on each other and Rashad thought Rampage felt threatened by him.
Dan Cramer and the Virtue of Patience
If anyone can attest to the old adage that good things come to those who wait, it’s Dan Cramer.
When last we saw him, The Ultimate Fighter 7 alum was finally gearing up for his first professional MMA fight against Matt Arroyo at January’s UFC 94. A formal debut, which was years in the making, was first delayed by school commitments, then by sanctioning issues in local shows, and finally by a broken – and then re-broken – collarbone that kept Cramer out of commission for almost four months.
Déjà vu All Over Again? Shane Nelson Hopes So
On March 7th, Shane Nelson was living the dream. The 25 year old protégé of lightweight champion BJ Penn had just improved his UFC record to 2-0 by stopping top veteran Aaron Riley via TKO in just 44 seconds and was on cloud nine.