Roy Nelson's Feelings Are Hurt After Being Pulled From UFC 125
And he wants people to know he's not happy about it. "I think my feelings were a little hurt. I was hoping they could find somebody to replace [Carwin]. This is one of the biggest cards of the year, and I was in the co-main event, and I was really trying to make sure my knee was better. The UFC really pushed me hard to get through with my rehab so I could fight on this card. My doctors said I shouldn't fight again until February or March, but I stepped up because the UFC wanted me to. I stepped up for the UFC, and I hoped they would do the same for me. The thing is nobody wants to fight a fat guy like me. Cro Cop is a legend in this sport, and I would've loved to have fought him. I'd like to fight [Antonio Rodrigo] Nogueira for the same reason. I'd love to fight [Alistair] Overeem, Brock Lesnar or The Undertaker. [UFC President] Dana White asks people, 'So, you want to be a f---ing fighter?' I love to fight. I'm one of those guys."
Leonard Garcia Meets Tyler Toner At TUF 12 Finale On Dec 4
The influx of the WEC into the UFC will begin before 2010 is over as featherweights Leonard Garcia and Tyler Toner have agreed to meet at the “Ultimate Fighter” season 12 finale show on Dec 4.
The fight was confirmed to MMAWeekly.com by sources close to the situation on Saturday, with verbal agreements in place for the early December contest.
Ryan Bader vs. Jon Jones official for UFC 126 on Feb. 5 in Las Vegas
The much-discussed light heavyweight contest between top prospects Ryan Bader (12-0 MMA, 5-0 UFC) and Jon Jones (11-1 MMA, 5-1 UFC) is finally official.
UFC brass recently confirmed on this week's edition of "The Ultimate Insider" that Jones and Bader will meet on the main card of the previously unannounced UFC 126 event.
While the highly anticipated and previously reported main event of Anderson Silva vs. Vitor Belfort was not confirmed, the promotion did confirm that UFC 126 takes place Feb. 5 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas.
MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) previously reported the event and the matchup.
There was some concern the matchup between the two fast-rising stars had dissolved following UFC president Dana White's proclamation at the UFC Fan Expo London 2010 that the bout was "in jeopardy."
Jones took to the stage the following day to quiet the concern.
"I've been really busy, so I haven't gotten a chance to sign my contract yet, but I think that fight will be set for Feb. 5," Jones said at the expo.
"Bones" finally found that time.
Featherweight champ Jose Aldo vs. Josh Grispi in the works for UFC 125
With the WEC featherweight title retired in Thursday's UFC-WEC merger, the UFC's first-ever featherweight championship fight will take place at UFC 125.
Featherweight contender Josh Grispi (14-1 MMA, 4-0 WEC) has been pulled from a planned WEC 52 bout with Erik Koch in favor of a UFC 125 shot at 145-pound champion Jose Aldo.
MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) confirmed with sources close to the event that verbal agreements are in place for the contest, and bout agreements are expected to be finalized shortly.
Early UFC 121 PPV Estmates Slightly Ablove 1 Million Buys
The earliest PPV numbers, which this early in the game is at best a rough estimate, is slightly more than 1 million, putting it in the same range as all the biggest events in company history except UFC 100. It's too early to tell if it beat the numbers for the Lesnar vs. Shane Carwin fight. Carwin was a bigger star, and because of his knockout finishes and bigger size, to the public, had a better chance to win. Velasquez, if numbers are better, would have proven to be a better draw based on the stronger hype specials and being an ethnic draw. The build up to this fight had three of the six biggest hype show numbers in UFC history, during a time period when most company TV numbers have been way down.
Winners of Henderson vs. Pettis, Edgar vs. Maynard to merge UFC, WEC titles
by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Oct 28, 2010 at 1:40 pm ET
A showdown between WEC and UFC champions is on the horizon.
The winner of an upcoming WEC title fight between champion Ben Henderson (12-1 MMA, 5-0 WEC) and challenger Anthony Pettis (11-1 MMA, 4-1 WEC) will meet the winner of an upcoming UFC title fight between champion Frankie Edgar (13-1 MMA, 8-1 UFC) and challenger Gray Maynard (10-0 MMA, 8-0 UFC).
The news was shared today by UFC president Dana White on the heels of an announcement that the UFC is folding the WEC into its promotion in January 2011, though he did not provide a timeline for the meeting between the two promotions' lightweight champions.
Henderson vs. Pettis is set to take place at WEC 53, which takes place at the Jobing.com Arena in Glendale, Ariz., while Edgar vs. Maynard is set for UFC 125 on Jan. 1 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.
Until today's merger announcement, the WEC lightweight division was the only class which overlapped with UFC's lightweight division. That, of course, led to airy speculation on potential matchups between the promotion's champions, though both UFC and WEC officials repeatedly downplayed the possibility.
WEC 52, which takes place Nov. 11, and WEC 53 are the final events scheduled for the WEC.
Jose Aldo to defend UFC Featherweight belt @ UFC 125
The announcement of the merger between the UFC and WEC was less than an hour old when the news came down that Jose Aldo will be the first of the newly renamed UFC champions to put his belt on the line.
During a conference call to formally announce the merger, UFC president Dana White confirmed that Aldo would defend the featherweight championship at UFC 125 on January 1.
Once a promising No. 1 contender, Brazilian heavyweight Gabriel Gonzaga has been cut from the UFC following his recent loss at UFC 121.
The fighter announced the news on his Twitter page.
WEC/UFC Merger announced
World Extreme Cagefighting is merging with its sister organization the Ultimate Fighting Championship.In the video interview below, Dana White exclusively confirmed that the merger will take place in January 2011. In addition, White said that four UFC events will air live on Versus in 2011.
The final two WEC cards will air on the cable network on Nov. 11 and Dec. 16, which means that starting next year, the UFC will absorb WEC's 135, 145 and 155 weight classes.
Roy Nelson Welcomes The Challenge Of Mirko Cro Cop
With original foe Shane Carwin off UFC 125, the TUF 10 winner has a hint for the Fertittas on a replacement opponent-call the Cop. “I wonder if Lorenzo [Fertitta] is going to call Cro Cop to see if he wants to fight, he is [a] legend and has done some great things, would love the challenge, but as everybody knows I just like to fight the best and the challenges that it brings.”
Jon Fitch: Moving Up To Middleweight Would Be "Like A 2 Year Process"
And he still says it's dependent on Josh Koscheck beating GSP for the UFC Welterweight Title AND Kos defending it once, at which point FItch would likely be in line for his next title shot (Dana says Jake Shields is next). "It would be like a two year process for me to move up a weight class because I have unfinished business at 170. The thing is I would move up if Josh would win the title and defend it. So he’d have to hold on to it for a while. You’re talking about almost a year right there, with a win and defense. In that time I could fight GSP non-title, I could fight Jake Shields, I could fight Martin Kampmann, I could fight Carlos Condit. All those guys could be fought already, and after that there’s not much left to do in front of me. Then that would be the optimum time I would be looking for other challenges if I want to move up a weight class. If there’s no one else for me to compete with at 170 other than Koscheck, I’m going to move up."
Shane Carwin Update: Surgery Scheduled For Tuesday, Return Unknown
UFC heavyweight contender Shane Carwin will undergo surgery to address lingering neck and back problems that forced him out of a proposed Jan. 1 fight with Roy Nelson. According to Carwin's manager Jason Genet, the 35-year-old has been suffering through the injuries for years, working through them with physical therapy and pain medication. But the injury has gotten progressively worse until a few days ago, one of Carwin's arms went numb down to the elbow, necessitating a visit to the doctor. After examination, Carwin was told that even without surgery, he would be out a minimum of 8-12 weeks but was advised that an operation would be the recommended long-term remedy. Genet would not disclose the exact procedure Carwin would undergo, only saying it would address both back and neck injuries. "We're trying to avoid spending 12 weeks with rehabilitation, traction, pain pills and epidurals, only to end up getting surgery anyway," Genet said. Surgery has been scheduled for Tuesday (November 2), with no timetable set for a return.
ESPN Report: UFC To Start Its Own Network
The UFC has planned a press conference for Thursday starting at 1 p.m. ET with UFC president Dana White, and the news is said to be a “major” announcement.
ESPN’s popular Emmy award winning show Pardon The Interruption may have let the cat out of the bag a day early though. They announced on Wednesday that the UFC plans to start its own network.
“UFC is planning to start it’s own TV network,” said Pardon the Interruption co-host Michael Wilbon.
When asked if he was okay with the UFC starting its own network, PTI co-host Tony Kornheiser said, “I’ve got 75,000 networks on my cable system, certainly there’s room for even that.”
The UFC has made no official statement at this point regarding the announcement on Thursday outside of its shear magnitude. Although it’s own network isn’t a certainty for tomorrow’s the announcement, a new network dedicated and owned by the UFC would certainly fit the bill.
Patrick Cote confirms UFC release
Former title challenger, "The Ultimate Fighter 4" runner-up and veteran middleweight Patrick Cote is a free agent.
Following a loss to Tom Lawlor this past weekend at UFC 121, the Canadian today confirmed via Twitter his UFC release.
"I had a little hope but (I) finally got the release word from the UFC," wrote Cote, who suffered a unanimous-decision loss at the Oct. 23 event in California. "It's been [an] awesome experience. I'll be back."
On Eve Of UFC Debut, Toney Learned Of IRS Lien, Purse Withheld
James Toney walked into the riskiest fight of his career unsure of whether he would be paid for it. Toney's trainer and manager, John Arthur, says the Internal Revenue Service placed a lien on the boxer's purse the night prior to his fight with Randy Couture. Toney's camp currently is in litigation with the government agency to recover a reported $500,000 payout. Toney was not scheduled to receive a win bonus, nor a cut of the event's pay-per-view profits, said Arthur. The attorney claimed the IRS put a hold on Toney's purse to examine several past tax returns, Arthur said. Arthur disputes the $500,000 purse reported as Toney's payout by the Massachusetts State Athletic Commission and said the actual amount is lower. Per its statutes, the MSAC distributes checks cut from the promoter to fighters following an event, provided the fighter has not committed any rules violations punishable by fine and/or suspension. Ronnie Drimer, a representative for the MSAC, did not confirm or deny the alleged lien, though she said the office's legal team is preparing a comment on the matter. A representative for the IRS could not be reached for comment.
Marcus Davis To Lightweight, Possibly Retirement Soon
After seven years at welterweight, Marcus Davis will drop to the lightweight division for his next UFC appearance. Davis today said he made the decision after the realization that his frame is better suited for 155 pounds. And with retirement a serious consideration at this point in his career, Davis plans to remain in the new weight class until he calls it quits on a once-unlikely MMA career. "I'm going to finish out my career at 155 and try to entertain some people along the way before my old ass retires," he said. "I like the opportunities that present themselves." He's 9-5 career in UFC and has 2 fights left on his current deal, after which he'll decide what to do. "I've got to win two fights. If I make 155, and I win two fights, and I feel like the new Marcus Davis, then we sit down and sign a new contract. But I will say this: I will not be 40 years old and fighting. I just can't."
UFC 121 Medical Suspensions
The CSAC has announced the medical suspensions from Saturday's UFC 121 event. 13 fighters in all are suspended, all for at least 45 days but 5 fighters-Brock Lesnar, Jake Shields, Diego Sanchez, Court McGee and Patrick Cote-are all suspended 6 months, but all can be cleared to return early. Either way, Lesnar must sit out 60 days (cut) and McGee 45 days (precautionary reasons).
UFC 121 Fighter Payouts
The CSAC has revealed the official fighter payouts from Saturday's UFC 121 event. The total disclosed payouts were $1,513,000 with the biggest share-$400,000-going to Brock Lesnar. New UFC Heavyweight Champion Cain Velasquez got $200,000 to go with the title, he would've gotten $100,000 if he lost.