Couture: If UFC Wanted Me To Fight Anderson Silva, I'd Be All Over That
Although he's got to get through James Toney first, Randy Couture appears ready to jump onto the bandwagon that is an Anderson Silva fight. "I'm definitely interested at fighting at 205. I think Anderson would be a great fight. I'm not sure what his perspective has been the last couple of times, though. I think since the Cote fight he's taken on a different style and hasn't been as explosive, not trying to finish fights early on. I don't know if it's concerning, but it's interesting where he's coming from with that. He certainly still has that capability. Maia, Cote, he could have finished those guys if he wanted to take the risk, so I'm not sure what's going on where he doesn't want to step up and take that risk. I think he's a fantastic fighter, and if that's someone they want me to compete against I'd be all over that."
Chris Camozzi vs. Dongi Yang In The Works For UFC 121
A middleweight matchup between "The Ultimate Fighter 11" cast member Chris Camozzi and undefeated UFC newcomer Dongi Yang is in the works for UFC 121. Verbal agreements are in place, paperwork pending. Yang is also known as Dong Yi Yang, which is how he was officially introduced when he signed with UFC. He becomes the second Korean Top Team fighter to sign with Zuffa, the other being WEC star Chan Sung Jung.
Dustin Hazelett Enters Cage At UFC 117 Against Doctor's Orders
When Dustin Hazelett steps into the cage on Aug. 7 for his bout with Rick Story, "McLovin" will be doing so against his doctor's advice. But armed with an intense passion for fighting and a lack of a "Plan B," Hazelett says he can't wait to set foot in the octagon. Hazelett suffered a broken orbital bone in his January fight with Paul Daley, and the injury required some extensive recovery time. Hazelett said he adhered to all recommended guidelines and elected to remain patient as it healed. "There was a two-month suspension with no contact whatsoever," Hazelett said. "Basically, I couldn't do any type of actual training except for mitt-work and conditioning – no sparring or grappling or anything like that. Then there was a six-month suspension from fighting, so it was kind of a lengthy layoff there, but I really didn't want to rush back and end up re-fracturing it. "They said, 'If you rush back into sparring, and you get hit hard, it will end up fracturing again, and it will be even worse.' I wanted to give it time to make sure that it completely healed so that I wouldn't rush into a fight, get hurt, and I'd be off even longer. I wanted to make sure I was completely 100 percent coming back." The Nevada State Athletic Commission gave Hazelett the opportunity to return early with a doctor's clearance, but when the 24-year-old visited a professional line up by the UFC, he received some startling advice. "They sent me to a leading expert in my area, I guess, and he was not too keen on the idea of me coming back early," Hazelett said. "In fact, he refused to let me come back early, and he said, 'If you were my son, I would suggest you never fight again, obviously.'
UFC 120 Official For 10/16 In London, Bisping-Akiyama Headlines
As has long been rumored, the Ultimate Fighting Championship returns to England on Oct. 16 when the O2 Arena hosts UFC 120. UFC made the event official today. As previously reported, a middleweight bout between Michael Bisping and Yoshihiro Akiyama headlines the event. The event will air in the US on Spike via same-day tape.
Dong Hyun Kim Off UFC 120, Pyle In
The "Stun Gun" has been temporarily disabled-Dong Hun Kim is now off UFC 120 due to an undisclosed injury. He was to have faced John Hathaway. Mike Pyle has been tapped as the replacement-verbal agreements are in place, paperwork pending.
"Outlaw 2.0" Going To "Beat The Stupid Out" Of Carlos Condit On 10/16 In London
Dan Hardy gets the pre-fight trash talk started ahead of his 10/16 fight against Carlos Condit, promising we'll see a new Hardy among other things. "It is a great fight and one I am already excited about. Condit is a former world champion who has only lost once in nearly five years, and that was on a split decision to top contender Martin Kampmann. He's a great opponent for me, after losing my UFC welterweight title challenge to Georges St-Pierre in March. I didn't want to drop too far down the pecking order and a win over Condit will make sure I stay right in the title mix. Carlos actually asked for the fight. He went to the UFC and requested me as his next opponent, I guess thinking that beating a world title challenger would look nice on his record. It is very much a case of 'be careful what you wish for' because I've taken it upon myself to do him a favour and beat the stupid out of him. I think I will get him out of there in the third, I think he won't be able to withstand the pace or the punishment late on in the fight. I will refine a game plan, but right now I am predicting a third round KO. I can also promise you'll see a new version of me in the Octagon come October, Outlaw 2.0."
The Date Is Set: December 11 For GSP-Kos
According to Josh Koscheck, the date for his post-TUF 12 UFC Welterweight Title fight with George St. Pierre is set: December 11. That will be UFC 123 at a location TBA. Kos has been lobbying for his hometown of Pittsburgh, but that likely won't happen because the likely host-the new Consol Energy Center-is already booked that day with NCAA Basketball. This could mean Las Vegas but there's no confirmation yet.
Despite UFC 116 Loss, Petruzelli Will Get Another Fight
It won't be one & done this time for Seth Petruzelli. Despite a disappointing loss at UFC 116 he said he received hundreds of social-media messages after the fight that raved about his performance. He said today that he also recently received a small bonus check from the UFC. He also noted that UFC was happy with his performance and asked when he'd like to fight again.
Change Of Plans: UFC 119 WILL Get UFC Prelims On Spike
September's UFC 119 pay-per-view event will get a "UFC Prelims" special, after all. Originally the plan was not to air one of the one-hour specials on Spike prior to the PPV, a source close to the event said officials since have changed their minds. An official announcement could come as soon as today. The TV fights are expected to be C.B. Dollaway vs. Joe Doerksen and Joey Beltran vs. Matt Mitrione.
UFC 116 PPV Buys Trending Toward 1.3 Million
So, apparently this Brock Lesnar character is pretty popular. Say what you want about the guy, but at this point, two items are inarguable: He can fight, and people love to watch him fight. According to Wrestling Observer writer Dave Meltzer, the early buyrate estimates for UFC 116 are between 1 & 1.28 million, but internally it is being said it's the third biggest in history, which would be a lot closer to the former number than the latter number.
UFC 119 Official For 9/25 In Indianapolis, Mir-Nogueira Headlines
As expected the Ultimate Fighting Championship makes its Indiana debut on Sept. 25 when Conseco Fieldhouse in Indianapolis hosts UFC 119. UFC officially announced the PPV today, and as expected the main event will be Frank Mir vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira. Also confirmed today were Ryan Bader vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira and Chris Lytle vs. Matt Serra. 11 bouts are expected for the card and there will be no "UFC Prelims" special on Spike before the PPV.
Anthony 'Rumble' Johnson could return as a middleweight by November 2010
Anthony Johnson at one point weighed the same as Ricco Rodriguez, which is kind of scary. He weighed the same as Ricco Rodriguez, except he had abs. He had a knee injury. He had surgery, took some time off to let it heal, it was giving him some problems, but now he's in rehab and doing rehab for his knee. We had a UFC offer in September that we weren't able to pursue. We're entertaining the possibility of taking a fight at 185, which is something we might have done anyway even if he didn't have the knee injury because that cut is just so tough for him. We were offered a fight at 185, a fight that we liked and before he accepted it, he said even if I do take a fight at 185, September might be pushing it. I want to get some time in the gym first. We're looking at late October, early November for him, and we're not sure if the first fight back is going to be at 70 and we're going to kill ourselves, or at 85 and just kind of kill ourselves.
Kurt Pellegrino's Meniscus Surgery Also Detects Torn ACL, Return TBA
Kurt Pellegrino underwent surgery this past week to repair a torn meniscus and got some bad news afterward. Pellegrino's doctor fixed a slight tear in his knee cartilage but discovered something much worse: a torn ACL. He would have fixed it, but Pellegrino had signed only to authorize work on his meniscus. The fighter now must book another date with the surgeon to get his ACL replaced, though he is adamant that he won't be sidelined by the injury any longer than March 2011. He also hopes to be able to fight by December, but that's a soft date, and he admits the recovery process could take longer.
Who Does Rich Franklin Want To Fight Next? Don't Ask Him-He Doesn't Care
So he says, as long as it gets him closer to the UFC Light Heavyweight Title. "People ask me 'well who do you want to fight next?' I couldn't care less, this is a business to me; I'm making my way to the 205 lb. title at this point in time so as long as it's somebody that puts me in a direct line for that then I'm good to go, otherwise I don't want to waste my time. I've heard the fans talk about Forrest [Griffin] and I, I've heard the fans talk about Tito [Ortiz] and I. I know there's some fan interest out there for some particular fights, and I know that Dana is particularly interested in building fights that fans want to see, so if those guys are healthy at the time that I'm ready to return and that's a fight he wants to put on then yeah, I'm not going to say no to something like that."
UFC newcomer David Mitchell to debut at UFN 22
Coming off the heels of yesterday’s report that welterweight prospect Anthony “T.J.” Waldburger has signed with the Ultimate Fighting Championships, FiveOuncesOfPain.com has been informed by sources that the UFC has also added David Mitchell to its welterweight division.
Dana: Proper Regulation Saves Lives
The death of Michael Kirkham on June 26, the second mixed martial arts death in a sanctioned event in U.S. history, has been a wake up call to the dangers of insufficient regulation, the ramifications of combatants not being forthcoming on licensing applications and the landscape of the sport where new states are approving and local promoters promoting when maybe neither fully understand the tragic consequences of cutting corners. But UFC president Dana White insists mixed martial arts is not only safe, but the safest sport in the world when correctly regulated. “This is the safest sport in the world when done properly,” White said when asked about the unfortunate passing of Kirkham. Michael Kirkham died following his professional mixed martial arts debut on June 26 at the Dash Entertainment and King MMA co-promoted “Confrontation at the Convocation Center” event at the USC Aiken Convocation Center in Aiken, South Carolina. An autopsy determined that he died from subarachnoid hemorrhage of the brain.
Jake Shields could face Martin Kampmann in UFC welterweight debut
With Jake Shields UFC debut practically a foregone conclusion, the wheels are in motion to find him a suitable opponent for his return to the 170-pound division.
Not as easy as it sounds.
A quick run through the SB Nation top ten rankings will yield plenty of suitors; however, everyone with a spot high enough on the totem pole to welcome the former Strikeforce and Elite XC champion has already secured a date to the big dance.
That leaves Martin Kampmann and Paulo Thiago -- and the Dane already disposed of the crafty Brazilian at UFC 115 just last month, effectively securing his position as the last man standing.
And a win over Shields would likely ease some of the pain he felt when his desired opponent, Dan "The Outlaw" Hardy, was paired up with Carlos Condit for the upcoming UFC 120 event across the pond.
Nogueira Vows To Avenge Mir Loss, Wherever The Fight Goes
In an interview with GracieMag, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira says he's out for revenge against Frank Mir at UFC 119, and that when he's had that chance in the past he's usually fought better. "I think it will be a good fight for me. In the past time I couldn’t perform well but now I can do better. It’s a fight that I always wanted and happened. I already had some bouts in my career that I lost, but whenever I had the chance to get revenge, I fought better. I will try to do the same this time. It’s tough to plan what is going on in a fight like this because Frank is a guy who fights well either on the mat or standing. I’ll feel it on time. If we go to the ground, I like it, but if it’s to exchange on the feet, I like it, too. I’ll be ready for everything”.
Chris Lytle Gets His UFC 116 Bonus
Following the UFC 116 event on July 3, UFC president Dana White said, “We’re writing some (expletive) checks tonight. We’re writing checks, more than what you heard here tonight. Guys are going to get well taken care of.” And one of those bonus checks has made its way to Chris Lytle according to his manager, Ken Pavia. “The bonus of the night was $75,000. It wasn’t near that, but it was still significant. It was more than a mere token, so we‘re very happy about that.” Pavia told MMAWeekly Radio. “They took care of him. They gave him a nice chunk.
“They’ve been good to Chris, and Chris has made a lot of money. I would venture to say one of the top ten in the UFC by virtue of his bonuses,” added Pavia. “He was not unhappy.”