UFC title hopeful Gray Maynard cleared for training, UFC 136 return possible
Gray Maynard can now resume his quest for gold.
The UFC lightweight contender today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that his doctor has given him the green light to resume training.
"I've been cleared," said Maynard (10-0-1 MMA, 8-0-1 UFC), who mentioned October's UFC 136 event as a possible return date.
The Las Vegas-based lightweight injured his knee in preparation for a highly anticipated rematch with lightweight champ Frankie Edgar (13-1-1 MMA, 8-1-1 UFC) at UFC 130. The injury came to light after Edgar withdrew from the bout with a back injury, which delayed the meeting until further notice.
For the record.... THANK GOD
Ken Stone vs. Donny Walker added to UFC Fight Night 25 in New Orleans
Bantamweights Ken Stone and Donny Walker will meet in New Orleans.
UFC officials today announced the addition to September's UFC Fight Night 25 event.
Featuring a welterweight matchup between Jake Shields and Jake Ellenberger, "UFC Fight Night 25: Shields vs. Ellenberger" takes place Sept. 17 at New Orleans' Ernest N. Morial Convention Center.
Welterweight John Howard Released from the UFC Following Loss at UFC on Versus 4
John Howard is the latest casualty from recent losses in the UFC as the Massachusetts’ fighter has been released from the promotion.
Howard’s manager Malki Kawa of First Round Management confirmed the news to MMAWeekly.com on Monday.
Going 4-3 during his time with the UFC, Howard has been an exciting fighter with true fire power in his hands, picking up wins over names like Dennis Hallman and Daniel Roberts along the way.
Former ‘Ultimate Fighter’ Finalist Andre Winner Released from the UFC
The cluttered UFC lightweight division is a brutal place to work following the integration of the WEC roster, and inevitably there will be cuts based on performance and results.
The latest lightweight to have been released is British Rough House fighter Andre Winner who exits the promotion following his loss to Anthony Njokuani at UFC 132 – it marks his third in a row.
Hatsu Hioki meets George Roop at UFC 137 in October
Former Sengoku World Victory Road champion Hatsu Hioki will make his U.S. debut on Oct. 29.
UFC officials today announced that the Japanese superstar will face scrappy veteran George Roop at UFC 137.
Featuring a pay-per-view headliner between UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre and former Strikeforce titleholder Nick Diaz, UFC 137 takes place at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas.
All Fighters Pass UFC 132 Drug Tests, Nevada to Restart Out-of-Competition Testing
All 15 fighters that were tested for drug by the Nevada State Athletic Commission for the UFC 132 card have come back clean, according to Executive Director Keith Kizer in a statement put out by the commission. This means they passes a test for performance enhancing and recreational drugs.
The fighters that were tested include main eventers Dominick Cruz and Urijah Faber, co-main eventers Wanderlei Silva and Chris Leben, Tito Ortiz, Ryan Bader, Carlos Condit, Dennis Siver, Melvin Guillard, Shane Roller, Rafael Dos Anjos, Brian Bowles, Aaron Simpson, Anthony Njokuani and Jeff Hougland.
In other news, an infusion of cash has also allowed Nevada to begin out-of-competition testing again, according to Kizer in an interview with Brett Okamoto of ESPN:
The commission has had the authority to randomly test its athletes since 2008, but financial restrictions have limited its ability to do so since 2009. That changed last month, when Gov. Brian Sandoval signed into law a bill that will feed close to $200,000 into the state's program during the next two years.
"We have the money this month, so I would be surprised if we didn't do some tests in July," Keith Kizer, executive director of NSAC, told ESPN.com. "Each test runs right around $200, so when it's all said and done, we'll test a pretty good chunk."
UFC Bantamweight Star Miguel Torres Wants Urijah Faber for 'Bragging Rights'
It wasn't all that long ago that Urijah Faber and Miguel Torres were the unquestioned kingpins of the under 145lb MMA world. Faber was the WEC featherweight champ from 2006 to late 2008. Torres was the WEC bantamweight champ from February 2008 to August 2009 and was a staple of top 10 pound-for-pound lists.
Now both men are coming off losses in the UFC's bantamweight division. Faber lost a unanimous decision to champion Dominick Cruz at UFC 132 and Torres dropped a decision to Demetrious Johnson at UFC 130.
UFC 136's Brian Stann expects pre-fight respect from Chael Sonnen.
Three weeks ago, an email showed up in Brian Stann's inbox – from Chael Sonnen (25-11-1 MMA, 4-4 UFC).
Sonnen had two buddies that were military veterans and struggling to find a job. Stann (11-3 MMA, 5-2 UFC), a former Marine who presides over Hire Heroes USA, a not-for-profit that finds jobs for veterans, immediately offered help.
UFC Quick Quote: Why did Junior Dos Santos ditch Ed Soares?
UFC heavyweight number one contender Junior Dos Santos tells MMAmania's own Eduardo Cruz (via Fighters Only) that he'll no longer be passing through the Black House facility in California since he is no longer a Tough Media client under Ed Soares. However, the Brazilian bomber doesn't expect any changes to his training camp or pre-fight preparations as he's still aligned with Team Nogueira and his original sparring partners.
Antonio Rodrigo 'Big Nog' Nogueira on Dana White: 'He's Not a God
UFC President Dana White didn't wait very long to voice his opinion that Wanderlei Silva shouldn't fight again after Silva's KO loss to Chris Leben at UFC 132. That didn't sit very well with another Brazilian legend who's on the downward slope of his own career, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira.
Nogueira spoke to Brazil's R7 Esportes (translated by Tom Mendes):
"I think he was unfortunate with his comments. They're idols of the sport, (Dana's) not a God who decides on everyone's career.
I loved the fact that Tito Ortiz won his last fight. You see that these people were not champions for nothing. Ortiz, Wanderlei and Fedor were top fighters for a reason. But Dana White can't decide that, he'll have to eat his words regarding Tito (laughs)"
Tom Lawlor Injured, Off UFC on Versus 5 Card, Ed Herman Now Faces Kyle Noke
Kyle Noke was scheduled to face Tom Lawlor at UFC on Versus 5 in a solid middleweight bout. Unfortunately, an injury has forced Lawlor off the card. The Telegraph is now reporting that Lawlor's replacement will be Ed Herman, making for a fight that is just as, if not more, interesting.
Noke is currently riding a five fight win streak, dating back to his February 2008 KO loss to Scott Smith. He also appeared on The Ultimate Fighter, where he lost to Kris McCray. Since the TUF stint, Noke has gone 3-0 in UFC bouts, finishing each in under two rounds.