Hatsu Hioki meets George Roop at UFC 137 in October
Former Sengoku World Victory Road champion Hatsu Hioki will make his U.S. debut on Oct. 29.
UFC officials today announced that the Japanese superstar will face scrappy veteran George Roop at UFC 137.
Featuring a pay-per-view headliner between UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre and former Strikeforce titleholder Nick Diaz, UFC 137 takes place at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas.
All Fighters Pass UFC 132 Drug Tests, Nevada to Restart Out-of-Competition Testing
All 15 fighters that were tested for drug by the Nevada State Athletic Commission for the UFC 132 card have come back clean, according to Executive Director Keith Kizer in a statement put out by the commission. This means they passes a test for performance enhancing and recreational drugs.
The fighters that were tested include main eventers Dominick Cruz and Urijah Faber, co-main eventers Wanderlei Silva and Chris Leben, Tito Ortiz, Ryan Bader, Carlos Condit, Dennis Siver, Melvin Guillard, Shane Roller, Rafael Dos Anjos, Brian Bowles, Aaron Simpson, Anthony Njokuani and Jeff Hougland.
In other news, an infusion of cash has also allowed Nevada to begin out-of-competition testing again, according to Kizer in an interview with Brett Okamoto of ESPN:
The commission has had the authority to randomly test its athletes since 2008, but financial restrictions have limited its ability to do so since 2009. That changed last month, when Gov. Brian Sandoval signed into law a bill that will feed close to $200,000 into the state's program during the next two years.
"We have the money this month, so I would be surprised if we didn't do some tests in July," Keith Kizer, executive director of NSAC, told ESPN.com. "Each test runs right around $200, so when it's all said and done, we'll test a pretty good chunk."
UFC Bantamweight Star Miguel Torres Wants Urijah Faber for 'Bragging Rights'
It wasn't all that long ago that Urijah Faber and Miguel Torres were the unquestioned kingpins of the under 145lb MMA world. Faber was the WEC featherweight champ from 2006 to late 2008. Torres was the WEC bantamweight champ from February 2008 to August 2009 and was a staple of top 10 pound-for-pound lists.
Now both men are coming off losses in the UFC's bantamweight division. Faber lost a unanimous decision to champion Dominick Cruz at UFC 132 and Torres dropped a decision to Demetrious Johnson at UFC 130.
UFC 136's Brian Stann expects pre-fight respect from Chael Sonnen.
Three weeks ago, an email showed up in Brian Stann's inbox – from Chael Sonnen (25-11-1 MMA, 4-4 UFC).
Sonnen had two buddies that were military veterans and struggling to find a job. Stann (11-3 MMA, 5-2 UFC), a former Marine who presides over Hire Heroes USA, a not-for-profit that finds jobs for veterans, immediately offered help.
UFC Quick Quote: Why did Junior Dos Santos ditch Ed Soares?
UFC heavyweight number one contender Junior Dos Santos tells MMAmania's own Eduardo Cruz (via Fighters Only) that he'll no longer be passing through the Black House facility in California since he is no longer a Tough Media client under Ed Soares. However, the Brazilian bomber doesn't expect any changes to his training camp or pre-fight preparations as he's still aligned with Team Nogueira and his original sparring partners.
Antonio Rodrigo 'Big Nog' Nogueira on Dana White: 'He's Not a God
UFC President Dana White didn't wait very long to voice his opinion that Wanderlei Silva shouldn't fight again after Silva's KO loss to Chris Leben at UFC 132. That didn't sit very well with another Brazilian legend who's on the downward slope of his own career, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira.
Nogueira spoke to Brazil's R7 Esportes (translated by Tom Mendes):
"I think he was unfortunate with his comments. They're idols of the sport, (Dana's) not a God who decides on everyone's career.
I loved the fact that Tito Ortiz won his last fight. You see that these people were not champions for nothing. Ortiz, Wanderlei and Fedor were top fighters for a reason. But Dana White can't decide that, he'll have to eat his words regarding Tito (laughs)"
Tom Lawlor Injured, Off UFC on Versus 5 Card, Ed Herman Now Faces Kyle Noke
Kyle Noke was scheduled to face Tom Lawlor at UFC on Versus 5 in a solid middleweight bout. Unfortunately, an injury has forced Lawlor off the card. The Telegraph is now reporting that Lawlor's replacement will be Ed Herman, making for a fight that is just as, if not more, interesting.
Noke is currently riding a five fight win streak, dating back to his February 2008 KO loss to Scott Smith. He also appeared on The Ultimate Fighter, where he lost to Kris McCray. Since the TUF stint, Noke has gone 3-0 in UFC bouts, finishing each in under two rounds.
Josh Koscheck to Fight at 185 in Return Fight?
UFC welterweight Josh Koscheck has been out of action ever since Georges St. Pierre broke his orbital bone in their welterweight title matchup at UFC 124 last December. He has been unable to train due to the injury, and told Dana White in one of his video blogs that he even had numbness on that side of his face close to three months after the surgery. But it appears he's finally ready to make his comeback, and for some reason he's leading people to believe that it's going to be at 185 pounds at UFC 138 in San Jose, for one fight only. Here's what he tweeted today:
did ask for my next fight to be nov 19 in san jose at 185 :) RT @dethrone @joshkoscheck who you asking to fight next?
FYI I only want 1 fight at 185 then back to WW. :) just something real fun for the fans.
UFC 136: Chael Sonnen opens as -215 favorite over Brian Stann
Despite what will be a 14-month layoff due to out-of-the-cage issues, Chael Sonnen has been tapped a sizable favorite over Brian Stann.
As MMAjunkie.com reported on Wednesday, Sonnen and Stann have agreed to meet at UFC 136, which takes place Oct. 8 in Houston.
Today, noted oddsmaker Joey Oddessa told MMAjunkie.com Radio he's opened the line with Sonnen as a -215 favorite and Stann a +175 underdog.
Brad Pickett Talks Frustration, How to Beat Dominick Cruz
Brad Pickett might not be a name that strikes a chord with you right away, especially if you didn't watch the WEC. The 32-year-old British bantamweight might be nicknamed "One Punch", but he has a slick submission game to go along with his heavy hands. He was scheduled to face Miguel Torres in his UFC debut at UFC 130, but had to pull out due to a back injury which has kept him on the shelf for a while now.
I don't care who Pickett fights, I just want to see him back in the cage. He's a great example of why Bantamweight is such a fun weight class.
Griffin admits 'I've got to cut some f***ing weight'
Forrest Griffin has admitted he has "a lot of problems" facing him if he is to make weight for his UFC 134 showdown with Mauricio Shogun Rua.
Griffin is coming off a decision victory over Rich Franklin in February, and he admits he has allowed himself to put on a little too much weight ahead of his clash with Rua on August 27.
I don't like this report!!
'Chippendale' Marquardt 'had it coming' - Hardy
Dan Hardy, a long-term trash talk target of Nate Marquardt, has had his say on the American's testosterone scandal, telling him "it's all about hard work in the gym".
Hardy has found himself on the wrong end of Marquardt's tongue on more than one occasion, most notably when Marquardt claimed the Brit did not deserve his title shot against Georges St-Pierre.
Mauricio 'Shogun' Rua Talks Wanderlei Silva Loss, Challenge From Tito Ortiz
Former UFC light heavyweight champion Mauricio "Shogun" Rua spoke with Tatame yesterday about his friend Wanderlei Silva's loss to Chris Leben at UFC 132, and also responded to Tito Ortiz. Silva was knocked out in 27 seconds by Leben, which obviously bothered his training partner at Kings MMA. Here's what he had to say in regards to Silva:
"I haven’t seen Wanderlei, I’m in San Diego and he’s in Las Vegas, but I was sad about the defeat", said Shogun, on a chat with TATAME. "It’s really sad to see Wanderlei getting knocked out like that, but what can we do, it happens with who is up there".
"Wanderlei was doing fine, motivated, thrilled, he wanted to fight really badly… We trained together before the fight and he was glad."
Dan Miller replaces injured "Cacareco", meets Rousimar Palhares at UFC 134
Dan Miller (13-5 MMA, 5-4 UFC) has replaced injured Alexandre "Cacareco" Ferreira (18-7 MMA, 0-1 UFC) and now meets fellow middleweight Rousimar Palhares (12-3 MMA, 5-2 UFC) at UFC 134 in Brazil.
UFC officials today announced the change but didn't disclose Ferreira's injury.
UFC 134, first announced as "UFC: Rio," takes place Aug. 27 at HSBC Arena in Rio De Janeiro.
Middleweights Chael Sonnen vs. Brian Stann targeted for UFC 136 in Houston
Of all the targets at which Chael Sonnen (25-11-1 MMA, 4-4 UFC) has aimed, the toughest one may be ahead.
Not long after a bout with Lyoto Machida was nixed, sources today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that the onetime middleweight contender will stay in his division and is targeted for a meeting with Brian Stann (11-3 MMA, 5-2 UFC) at UFC 136, which takes place Oct. 8 at Toyota Center in Houston.
Verbal agreements are in place for the bout, though contracts haven't been signed.
Sources: Chael Sonnen vs. Lyoto Machida not on UFC's fall docket
A fight between onetime middleweight challenger Chael Sonnen (25-11-1 MMA, 4-4 UFC) and former light-heavyweight champion Lyoto Machida (17-2 MMA, 9-2 UFC) is not happening.
Sources close to the promotion today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that the fight was briefly entertained but did not become a reality after being heavily rumored for the fall, possibly at UFC 136.