Dana White: UFC on Versus 4 was one of the best cards we've ever done
In the wake of UFC on Versus 4: "Kongo vs. Barry" last night (June 26, 2011) in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, Octagon boss Dana White had some glowing words of praise for the event.
In fact, he went so far as to say it was one of the best shows his promotion has ever put together.
Whether or not you agree, the very fact that he can even make such a claim is an amazing feat. That's because the entire fight card was ravaged by injuries, not to mention one very high profile suspension.
UFC 138: Jake Shields vs Jake Ellenberger fight possible for Nov. 19 in San Jose
You can't always get what you want.
Former multiple promotion champion Jake Shields recently cast his line, fishing for a fight against B.J. Penn for his first fight inside the Octagon since his unanimous decision defeat against Georges St. Pierre this past April.
Unfortunately, he hit a snag and will not be going head on against "The Prodigy."
Instead, he's reeled in a "Juggernaut," as MMAFighting.com brings word that Shields will take on Jake Ellenberger later this year, likely at UFC 138 on Nov. 19 in San Jose.
Dana White: Charlie Brenneman's UFC on Versus 4 win a true "Rocky story"
PITTSBURGH – Charlie Brenneman was a winner even before he stepped into the cage at Sunday's UFC on Versus 4 event.
After a series of events left Brenneman without an opponent and the event without a headliner, the hometown hero stepped in on a day's notice against red-hot welterweight Rick Story.
That decision made him fearless. A crowd-rousing walkout made him a local favorite. And his eventual victory made him nothing short of a legend, UFC president Dana White told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).
Brenneman, a Pennsylvania native who fought at Pittsburgh's CONSOL Energy Center, was yanked from the card earlier this week when opponent T.J. Grant fell ill. But there was a glimmer of hope for the "Spaniard," who desperately wanted to fight close to home.
UFC on Versus 4 bonuses: Kongo, Lauzon, Oliveira and Lentz earn $50K awards
PITTSBURGH – Cheick Kongo, Joe Lauzon, Charles Oliveira and Nik Lentz each earned $50,000 "Fight Night" bonuses for their performances at Sunday's "UFC on Versus 4: Kongo vs. Barry" event.
Kongo earned the night's "Knockout of the Night" award, Lauzon picked up the "Submission of the Night" bonus, and Oliveira and Lentz took home "Fight of the Night" honors.
MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) learned of the bonus winners and award amounts while at UFC on Versus 4's post-event press conference.
The amounts mark the largest across-the-board bonuses ever issued at a UFC on Versus event, although Diego Sanchez and Martin Kampmann were each given special $160,000 "Fight of the Night" awards following their epic UFC on Versus 3 brawl.
Helwani's updates on the Marquardt story from last night
Ariel Helwani has posted his latest information on the failed Nate Marquardt pre-fight medical test and his ultimate dismissal from the UFC.
arielhelwani Ariel Helwani
Nate failed the medical requirements for the fight and was put on suspension by the PA athletic commission until he provides a medical ...
... report showing that he's satisfied those requirements. He was given every opportunity to meet the requirements ...
UFC signs undefeated Swede Papy Abedi
Highly sought-after Swedish prospect Papy “Makambo” Abedi has signed with the UFC.
Abedi’s manager, Manos Terzitane, Sunday confirmed to Sherdog.com that the 32-year-old judo black belt has inked a four-fight deal with the American promotion.
The Kongo-born fighter stands undefeated at 8-0 and has posted finishes in all but one of his fights, including five knockouts and two submissions. Despite previously competing at middleweight, Terzitane told Sherdog.com that Abedi will drop to 170 pounds for his Octagon debut.
PSAC indefinitely suspends Marquardt, says UFC, fighter had six weeks to get clearance
PITTSBURGH – The Pennsylvania State Athletic Commission still won't reveal exactly what forced Nate Marquardt out of tonight's UFC on Versus 4 event, but PSAC executive director Gregory Sirb did reveal the fighter was given plenty of time to address the issue.
And after failing to fulfill the PSAC'S requirements, the commission has now put Marquardt on indefinite suspension.
"He's been put on suspension," Sirb told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "When he meets those requirements, he'll be taken off. How long of a suspension (it will be) is up to him."
Focus is on Brown, but UFC on Versus 4's Howard ready to settle score with Johnson
PITTSBURGH – John Howard (14-6 MMA, 4-2 UFC) hasn't lost focus on the task at hand.
When he meets fellow welterweight Matt Brown (11-10 MMA, 4-4 UFC) on the Versus-televised main card of Sunday's UFC on Versus 4 event at Pittsburgh's CONSOL Energy Center, both of the once-hot prospects are fighting for their job security.
But Howard knows that – one way or another – he and rival Anthony Johnson eventually are going to clash, whether it's in the UFC octagon or in the street.
Nate Marquardt cut from the UFC
Nate Marquardt (MMA 31-10-2 UFC 10-4) Has been cut from the UFC:
It's just going from bad to worse for Nate, not only did he lose his Main Event spot at UFC Live on Versus but he has been cut from the UFC in the space of 40 minutes as Dana says in the video link below:
What's next for Nate, I don't know, but this is big big news. Greg Jackson's Camp Instist the setback is temporary and his future still lies at 170 pounds. With regards to him being taken off the main event.
However with the cut from the UFC it's a huge shake up for Nate's career and both the Middleweight and Welterweight Divisions.
Marquardt scratched from UFC on Versus 4; Barry-Kongo now main, Story gets Brenneman
One-time UFC middleweight title challenger Nate Marquardt will not be making his welterweight debut this weekend.
MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has learned that Marquardt is a late scratch from Sunday's UFC on Versus 4 event, and opponent Rick Story (13-3 MMA, 6-1 UFC) will now instead meet Charlie Brenneman (12-2 MMA, 2-1 UFC) on the evening's main card.
With the late change, a highly-anticipated heavyweight bout between Pat Barry (6-2 MMA, 3-2 UFC) and Cheick Kongo (15-6-2 MMA, 8-4-1 UFC) has now been promoted to main-event status.
The reason for Marquardt's last-minute withdrawal, mere hours before he was scheduled to hit the scales at the event's official weigh-ins, wasn't immediately evident. However, Marquardt's camp did release a statement insisting the setback was temporary and his future still lies at 170 pounds.
John Makdessi injured, forced out of UFC on Versus 5 bout with Paul Taylor
Undefeated lightweight prospect John Makdessi (9-0 MMA, 2-0 UFC) will have to wait a little bit longer to get back to action.
MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has learned from sources close to the event that Makdessi has been forced to withdraw from a planned UFC on Versus 5 contest with Paul Taylor (11-6-1 MMA, 4-5 UFC).
An undisclosed injury is said to be the culprit, though Makdessi's manager, Mitch Mayberger, was unavailable for comment when contacted by MMAjunkie.com.
Top-ranked Japanese featherweight Hatsu Hioki signs UFC deal
Former World Victory Road/Sengoku featherweight champion Hatsu Hioki (24-4-2 MMA, 0-0 UFC) officially is octagon-bound.
UFC officials today announced the top-ranked Japanese star is the newest addition to the roster of the world's biggest MMA promotion.
Officials did not reveal Hioki's debut appearance and first opponent.
Shogun Rua calls for UFC to permit stomps
Mauricio Shogun Rua has told ESPN that he believes stomps should be made legal in the UFC.
Former Pride star Shogun has spent the majority of his career in competitions permitting stomps, and he is a huge advocate of that particular weapon.
The UFC had to outlaw the technique in order to bring the sport of MMA into the mainstream, a move Rua completely understands as president Dana White continues to take the sport into new territories.
Undefeated newcomer Lance Benoist signs multi-fight deal with UFC
Undefeated welterweight Lance Benoist (5-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) is octagon bound.
A source close to the promotion today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that the fighter has signed a four-fight deal with the UFC.
Benoist's debut has not been set.
A standout on the Midwest regional circuit, Benoist brings an impressive (albeit brief) resume into a deep division.
He has ended all of his five professional fights and all but one of his six amateur fights in the first round. In fact, two of his first three professional victories came in the opening minute of the first round.
While his amateur record is marked by TKO victories, his professional record boasts four submission wins.
Jon Jones, Georges St-Pierre, Fabricio Werdum nominated for 2011 ESPY Awards
UFC champions Jon Jones and Georges St-Pierre, as well as Strikeforce heavyweight contender Fabricio Werdum, have all been nominated for 2011 ESPY Awards.
Jones and St-Pierre were each nominated in the "Best Fighter" category while Werdum's June 2010 submission win over Fedor Emelianenko was nominated in the "Best Upset" category.
Fans can vote on the winners from now through July 9, and the awards show airs on ESPN on July 13.
Jones and St-Pierre are joined in the "Best Fighter" pool by standout boxers Bernard Hopkins, Sergio Martinez and Manny Pacquiao.
UFC on Versus 4: Pat Barry – No More Mr. Nice Guy
If there’s one thing you can say about UFC heavyweight Pat Barry beyond his fight skills, it’s that he’s a hell of a nice guy.
During his Q&A appearance prior to UFC on Versus 3 in Louisville, Ky., Barry had a room full of fans laughing and joking along with him as he told stories and answered questions.
At the UFC Fighter Summit, Barry somehow managed to strip down to his underwear and sit quietly during one of the talks being given, while fighters all around him chuckled and couldn’t help but laugh at the gentle giant’s antics.
He even famously knocked down his idol Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic when they fought, and helped him back up.
Bantamweights Jeff Hougland and Donny Walker added to UFC 132
A pair of promotional newcomers will round out July's "UFC 132: Cruz vs. Faber" event, as bantamweights Jeff Hougland (9-4 MMA, 0-0 UFC) and Donny Walker (15-6 MMA, 0-0 UFC) meet on the evening's preliminary card.
UFC officials today announced the addition.
UFC 132 takes place July 2 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. UFC bantamweight champ Dominick Cruz and Urijah Faber headline the event.
'Whitey' Bulger arrest recalls UFC owner's roots
The capture of one of the most wanted U.S. fugitives touches on the origins of the Ultimate Fighting Championship's parent company.
James "Whitey" Bulger was arrested Wednesday near Los Angeles, law enforcement officials said. Bulger, one of the FBI's Ten Most Wanted, is accused of leading Boston mobsters for decades. If at least one allegation is true, his organization also launched a chain of events that led to the formation of UFC owner Zuffa.
edit: I really hope this is in the right forum. if not, I'm sorry