Carwin ready for Lesnar challenge
No one was more surprised than Shane Carwin to learn that his bout with Cain Velasquez was being scrapped in favor of an immediate title shot against UFC heavyweight champ Brock Lesnar at UFC 106 in November.
"My manager called late, which is never a good sign," Carwin said. "He told me the news and I was shocked. I was half asleep when I got the call but I was excited and in shock all at the same time. I woke up my wife and I think she thought I was just messing around with her."
Is Nate Marquardt Really Ready for Demian Maia's Jiu Jitsu?
Obviously you have your fair share of submission wins, but is it even worth the risk for you to go to the ground with him?
"That's something I can't answer until I get in the fight, to be honest, because if the opportunity presents itself with him and we land there, and I feel comfortable and do some damage, I'm experienced enough that I'm not going to make some silly mistake and get caught in a triangle or something like that. The triangle that I have to worry about is the one he sets up. If I feel like he's setting stuff up, I'm going to try to get back to my feet, but if I'm doing damage, I'm going to keep doing damage."
Pat Miletich Says He Hasn't Signed a New UFC Contract ... 'Yet'
Over the weekend, Bloody Elbow noticed that Pat Miletich's profile was put back up on UFC.com. This led to speculation that the 41-year-old MMA veteran had re-signed with the UFC. Remember, prior to UFC 101 Miletich told FanHouse that he hoped to bury his long-standing grudge with UFC president Dana White.
On Monday, Miletich told FanHouse that he had not signed a new contract with the UFC "yet," but seemed very open to the idea of making his return to the Octagon in the near future. Of course, he also said the hatchet had been buried between both sides.
COUTURE READY TO FACE THE BEST NOGUEIRA
Five-time UFC champion Randy Couture can empathize with Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira when critics say the former Pride and UFC champ is past his prime.
At 46, he’s made a career of bucking the trend, performing at peak ability long past the usual shelf life for combatants. At 33, Nogueira is battling his first crisis of confidence after years of come-from-behind fighting and a lackluster performance in December against Frank Mir.
Aurelio Ready to Shine The Second Time Around
A skilled Brazilian Jiu-jitsu artist with 10 submission victories included in his 18-7 overall record, Aurelio heard critics after each of his UFC defeats once he opted to fight on the feet instead of using his abilities on the ground. Regarding this fact, the 36-year old American Top Team representative shakes his head in total agreement. And determined to show his real ground skills against Dunham, he has explored what he truly brings to the Octagon
Kenny Florian is ‘fired up,’ still wants BJs belt
“I’m still at the top of the division and in one or two fights I think I can put myself back into contention to fight for the belt again. In order to do that, I’m going to have to face some tough guys, but I’m motivated and excited with that possibility…. In no way, shape or form did (Keith) ever use [the eye poke allegation] as an excuse, and that’s definitely not the reason I lost. I lost because B.J. was the better fighter that night, simple as that…. It’s little things that I should have done better. For me, it’s basically, ‘stop talking and start doing.’ I just want to get back to training and refine everything and just get back in the cage. I’m just motivated and fired up to fight someone right now.”
Hoping for UFC 105, Hathaway awaits the call
“Were still waiting to hear about November, but if it’s not then I guess I will be fighting again in the New Year,” he explained. “No names have been mentioned to us, but I don’t mind at the moment. I have had some time off to rest and I have just started training again so there are plenty of things I can work on in the meantime.”
Nogueira’s coach: “Couture has no punch”
“We think that Couture will fight standing against him, and Rodrigo thinks that too. Rodrigo is 100% prepared standing. I always said that this fight were good to Rodrigo, because Couture has no punch to knock him out, and Rodrigo boxes better than him… Rodrigo is prepared in the ground too and will work to submit, because Rodrigo has everything to submit him”, explained the coach. “Our strategy is stay away from the fence”.
– Luiz Alves, the Muay Thai coach for Antonio Rodrigo Minotauro Nogueira, tells Tatame.com that his fighter is set to stand and trade with Randy Couture at UFC 102 because the “Natural” doesn’t pack much heat on his feet. He may be right — Couture doesn’t have a clean knockout on his resume in 25 career fights. But that hasn’t necessarily stopped him from handling (and defeating) the big dogs, including Tim Sylvia, Chuck Liddell, Vitor Belfort, Tito Ortiz, Pedro Rizzo and Kevin Randleman, among others. Will he add “Big Nog” to that list on Aug. 29? For the record: Nogueira has one knockout, and just one technical knockout, in 37 career fights.
Danillo Villefort cut from UFC after just 1 fight
The truth is, the UFC answered all of these questions with their decision to release Danillo and fighters need to take it as a warning that, right or wrong, in the days of big PPV numbers the promotion doesn't have time for fighters that they feel don't deliver for the fans.
JON "BONES" JONES JOINS JACKSON
Undefeated UFC light heavyweight Jon Jones is the latest fighter to join Team Jackson's in Albuquerque, N.M., headed by highly sought after trainer Greg Jackson.
Jackson told MMAWeekly.com content partner Tapout Radio, "Jon Jones has joined our team and he's out here training. He's just a pleasure to work with. He's incredibly creative. That he's got so far with his creativity is amazing.”
Belfort doesn't want to fight Silva, but Silva would not mind
Vitor Belfort isn’t that high on an opportunity to challenge Anderson Silva for his 185-pound crown. He’ll do it, but it’s not an ideal situation to compete against a fellow Brazilian and someone who he considers a friend. However, Silva has remarked that Belfort is not his friend, but someone who he respects and is willing to fight without reservation if called upon. “The Phenom” is the latest addition to the UFC middleweight class and someone who company president, Dana White, would like to see earn a title shot to one day challenge “The Spider.” Before that can happen, however, both fighters need to take care of other business — Belfort is set to battle Rich Franklin next month and Silva is penciled in to take on Dan Henderson before year’s end. Are Belfort and Silva on a collision course, whether they like it or not?
Frank Fertitta Jr., Father Of UFC Owners, Dies
Frank Fertitta Jr., founder of Station Casinos and the father of UFC owners Frank Fertitta III and Lorenzo Fertitta, has died. He was 71. Frank Fertitta Jr. died earlier today following heart surgery in Los Angeles. He reportedly had been ill for some time. No official statements have been released yet by Station Casinos or UFC.
Report: Penn vs. Sanchez At 105
Turns out Michael Bisping may not headline UFC 105 after all. According to InsideFights, a source within UFC says that BJ Penn's next UFC Lightweight Title defense against Diego Sanchez will happen at UFC 105 in November. This comes despite Penn saying he's never do a UK event again over money issues and 105 expecting to be a free TV event in the US.
Jim Miller to face UFC newcomer Steve Lopez on UFC 103 preliminary card
With Thiago Tavares recently bowing out of a UFC 103 preliminary card matchup due to an injury, Jim Miller (14-2 MMA, 3-1 UFC) will now fight UFC newcomer Steve Lopez (12-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC).
MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has learned from sources close to the event that both fighters have agreed to the contest, and bout agreements are expected to be distributed shortly.