UFC's Condit eyes showdowns with Diaz, Daley, Shields; not keen on Hardy rematch
While the exact future of Strikeforce remains to be seen, UFC welterweight contender Carlos Condit (26-5 MMA, 3-1 UFC) is already eyeing a few potential matchups with some of the promotion's top stars.
Namely, Strikeforce welterweight champion Nick Diaz (24-7 MMA, 4-0 SF) and his opponent on April 9, Paul Daley (27-9-2 MMA, 2-0 SF). Condit also wants a second crack at the UFC's current No. 1 contender, Jake Shields (26-4-1 MMA, 1-0 UFC).
"I'm looking to hopefully fight Jake Shields to get that loss back," Condit said at a Friday Q&A session. "Now with the Strikeforce merger, possibly Nick Diaz.
"I was supposed to fight Paul Daley a while back. I got staph infection in my hand and had to pull out of the fight. There's some unfinished business there. I like that fight."
Condit is currently recovering from a knee injury that forced him to withdraw from a planned UFC 127 matchup with Chris Lytle in February. The "Natural Born Killer" said the dislocated kneecap is healing fine with rehab alone and did not require surgery.
He's not sure when he'll return to the cage, but he hopes some key upcoming matchups will produce a suitable opponent.
"I'm still waiting to hear (who I'll fight next)," Condit said. "I think there's some good welterweight fights coming up. When those happen, it will clear up the picture a little bit, and I might have a better idea."
In the meantime, Condit is simply daydreaming about possibilities.
Shields is certainly within reason, whether he comes up short against Georges St-Pierre in April, or if the champ retains his belt but chooses to relinquish the title in favor of a shot at middleweight kingpin Anderson Silva. Condit faced Shields in an April 2006 Rumble on the Rock tourney final but fell short via decision.
Diaz and Daley are a little far-fetched for now, but with the UFC's parent company now in charge of Strikeforce's fighter contracts, Condit may very well lie in each of their futures.
In the meantime, there is one fighter actively pursuing a bout with Condit: UFC Fight Night 24 co-headliner Dan Hardy.
Hardy, of course, was knocked out by Condit this past October. Earlier this week, Hardy said he won't stop fighting until he's able to avenge that loss.
"The thing that I don't like about losing the fight, about getting knocked out, is that my opponent thinks he's better than me," Condit told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "I know that's not the case. I know Carlos Condit's not better than me. I'm annoyed that now he thinks that. I gave him that impression by not giving him the respect in that fight.
"I can't retire until I've knocked him out."
Condit said the result was no fluke, and he currently has no desire to revisit the matchup.
"Honestly, I think he dislikes me more than I dislike him, for obvious reasons," Condit said. "I stood in the cage with that guy, and I'm just telling you, he had nothing – that night, anyway."
UFC Fight Night 24 weigh-in results: Headliners Nogueira (206), Davis (206) on weight
SEATTLE – MMAjunkie.com was on scene and reporting live from today's UFC Fight Night 24 fighter weigh-ins, which all competitors successfully made weight.
Today's festivities take place at Seattle's KeyArena, which also hosts Saturday's Spike TV and Facebook event.
Headliners Antonio Rogerio Nogueira and Phil Davis both weighed 206 pounds. And despite some tense moments in recent days, yes, Anthony Johnson also made weight.
UFC Quick Quote: Jake Shields is 'a pretty easy fight' for Georges St. Pierre
"I think that's gonna be a pretty easy fight, I really do. I think GSP's going to be able to do whatever he wants. Jake's not going to be able to get on top, so I just don't see him being effective really anywhere. I definitely don't think he's going to be able to take him down, and if Shields is on his back I just don't see him being effective. I have to really wonder why he got a title shot in the first place... but, I'll tell you why he got a title shot is there's no one else."
Jesse Finney Talks About H.I.T Squad Purchase & The Gym’s Future
Jesse Finney Talks About H.I.T Squad Purchase & The Gym’s Future
MMA Access: Jesse Finney Talks About H.I.T Squad Purchase & The Gym’s Future
Great Audio Interview with Jesse Finney -
The Official Radio Partner of PunchDrunkGamer, Takedown Wrestling Media’s Scott Casber talked to Jesse Finney, owner of Finney’s MMA about his recent acquisition of Matt Hughes H.I.T. Squad gym in Granite City, Illinois.
Representatives from H.I.T. Squad, one of the most recognized and respected mixed martial arts training facilities in the industry, announced that they are under new ownership. The Granite City, Illinois MMA training facility is now officially known as "Finney's HIT Squad."
According to gym representatives, Jesse Finney now owns the facility. Finney also owns Finney's MMA; another St. Louis based mixed martial arts gym known for producing top-level contenders. As a result of the strategic change in ownership, the HIT Squad has emerged stronger than ever.
Jesse Finney had this to say, ""We are very excited about working with Matt Hughes, Marc Fiore, and Kyle Watson. The H.I.T. Squad (now Finney's HIT Squad) is already considered one of the top MMA gyms in the world. Our goal is to make it THE top MMA gym. We have already begun making improvements to both training facilities, improvements that will ultimately generate bigger and better opportunities for our fighters as we evolve."
A full size competition cage has been installed in Finney's HIT Squad facility as a result of the new ownership, and they have already begun implementing the Shamrock Fighter Development System (SDS). The system mirrors that of Major League Baseball, where players start out in a development league and work their way up based on their skills and performance.
Amateur fighters start out competing for credible local promotions such as Shamrock MMA. If you're a top-level professional fighter, Finney's has affiliations with nationally recognized promotions such as Shark Fights, Bellator, Strikeforce and the UFC.
Although ownership has changed hands, UFC Hall of Famer Matt Hughes will continue to train at the facility and the gyms well-established coaching staff will remain intact. According to H.I.T. Squad coach Marc Fiore, "I fully support the change in ownership and look forward to working with Finney and his team. This is a positive change that will generate new opportunities for the gym and make the HIT Squad brand even stronger. The new build out has added value to the facility and our stable of fighters has already increased from 40 to 80. We are all very excited about the direction the gym is going."
Finney's MMA and Finney's HIT Squad collectively offer one of the most comprehensive, well-rounded, training programs in the industry. Fighters at both amateur and professional levels have access to everything they need to advance their careers, from top-of-the-line equipment and unparalleled training, to housing and fight management. Both facilities offer on-site and off -site housing for members of the fight team, a highly sought after amenity that most MMA gyms do not offer. Fighters associated with the gyms also receive top-level representation through Elite MMA Management.
Both 20,000 square foot state-of-the-art facilities cater to professional fighters, as well as the general public. The superior instructors, all experts in their respective disciplines, teach men, women and children of all skill levels. The combined coaching staff has more name recognition and experience than any other team assembled in the Midwest. Classes are offered in boxing, kickboxing, muay thai, jiu-jitsu, mixed martial arts, wrestling, and sports conditioning. Whether a member joins to increase their fitness level, learn self-defense, or to hone their fighting skills, both Finney's MMA and Finney's HIT Squad offer superior instruction.
Three new bouts added to UFC Fight Night 24's free Facebook stream
Three new fights have been added to the previously announced two for the free Facebook stream accompanying Saturday's UFC Fight Night 24 event, officials today confirmed.
The new additions include welterweights John Hathaway (14-1 MMA, 4-1 UFC) vs. Kris McCray (5-2 MMA, 0-2 UFC), bantamweights Michael McDonald (11-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) vs. Nick Pace (6-1 MMA, 1-0 UFC), and heavyweights Sean McCorkle (10-1 MMA, 1-1 UFC) vs. Christian Morecraft (6-1 MMA, 0-1 UFC).
They join featherweights Alex "Bruce Leroy" Caceres (4-2 MMA, 0-0 UFC) vs. Mackens Semerzier (5-3 MMA, 1-3 WEC) and heavyweights Jon Madsen (7-0 MMA, 4-0 UFC) vs. Mike Russow (13-1 MMA, 2-0 UFC) on the free stream.
Middleweight Dave Branch Latest Fighter Released by the UFC
UFC middleweight Dave Branch has been released from the promotion following his loss to Rousimar Palhares at the UFC on Versus 3 show earlier this month in Louisville.
Sources close to the fighter confirmed his release with MMAWeekly.com on Wednesday.
Branch, who is a black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu under legendary trainer Renzo Gracie, went 2-2 during his time with the UFC.
Martin Kampmann Wants Rematch With Diego, Understands Why Sanchez Doesn't Want One
Several weeks have passed since Martin Kampmann was lost a split-decision to Diego Sanchez at UFC Live on Versus 3, and there is still zero doubt in his mind that he won the battle. In fact, he believes he did so convincingly as his takedown defense and accurate counter-striking punded Sanchez's face to a beaten pulp over the course of three rounds. When the decision was announced the ongoing debate about MMA judging reform caught fire once again. Kampmann expressed his disappointment in the post fight interview and now faces a reality that has him losing back-to-back fights in the highly competitive UFC welterweight division. Upon his return from visiting his family in Denmark I caught up with "The Hitman" and in this Bloody Elbow Exclusive interview Martin looked back on the fight and shared his thoughts on the outcome.
Pittsburgh possible host site for UFC on Versus 4 on June 26
Pittsburgh could host June's UFC on Versus 4 event.
Sources close to the June 26 event today told MMAjunkie.com Steel City is one of a few locales being considered for the Versus-televised show.
However, Greg Sirb, executive director of the Pennsylvania State Athletic Commission, today told MMAjunkie.com talks are in the preliminary stages and that nothing is official.
Dana White: Brock Lesnar Is UFC's Most Underrated Fighter
A lot of mixed martial arts fans think Brock Lesnar is overrated: He lost his first UFC fight in 90 seconds, got fast-tracked to a title shot because of his pro wrestling fame, beat a man he outweighed by 50 pounds to win the title, then crumpled when someone finally hit him in the face and lost his title to Cain Velasquez.
UFC President Dana White has heard those comments. But he says that viewpoint is actually an example of Lesnar being underrated. In fact, White calls Lesnar the most underrated fighter in the UFC.
In a live chat with the Seattle Times to promote Saturday night's Fight Night in Seattle, White was asked to name the most underrated fighter, and Lesnar was the man he picked.
"I don't think people give him enough credit for how good he really is and what he has accomplished," White said.
GSP Talks Shields, UFC 129, Strikeforce & Super-Fights
GSP Talks Shields, UFC 129, Strikeforce & Super-Fights
I don't usually post audio interview links but this is good. GSP is very confident but also very respectful of Jones & Silva.
The undisputed world welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre was recently a guest on PDG’s official radio partner Takedown Wrestling Radio with Scott Casber. GSP talks about training for Jake Shields, UFC 129 in Toronto, Jon Jones performance at UFC 128, Zuffa’s recent purchase of Strikeforce and the opportunities that will bring, trash talking in mixed martial arts and the regulation of MMA in New York.[
UFC's Joseph Benavidez finds inspiration in NCAA champ Anthony Robles
Size, or lack of it, has been an ever-present part of UFC bantamweight Joseph Benavidez's life.
At 5-foot-4, he'll probably never play center or take it to the hole for a dunk. Yet he's grown tall through the trials of competition, especially when it comes to his transition from wrestling to mixed martial arts.
He's never had to deal with a physical handicap, though, and that's why he's so impressed with Arizona State University senior Anthony Robles, who won the NCAA wrestling championship at 125 pounds this past Saturday.
Extra paperwork creates headache for Nate Diaz, but UFC 129 fight still on
His hand may cramp a bit more than other fighters crossing the border, but Nate Diaz will make it to UFC 129 in Toronto.
Diaz hinted this morning at problems getting into Canada for an April 29 fight with Rory MacDonald. But his manager, Cesar Gracie, told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) the fighter was just venting frustration at extra paperwork he is required to complete before he can travel to the country.
The red tape stems from a 2006 altercation in Reno, Nevada, that resulted in a mark on Diaz's criminal record for disturbing the peace.
my bad on the repost, please delet
UFC cuts middleweights Rob Kimmons and Chris Camozzi after recent losses
Middleweight fighters Rob Kimmons and Chris Camozzi are the latest victims of the UFC's roster purge.
MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) today confirmed Kimmons' release with a source close to the fighter.
Camozzi confirmed his release on his official website.
Kimmons (23-7 MMA, 3-4 UFC) leaves the organization after a three-year and seven-fight run in the world's largest MMA promotion. The 30-year-old signed with the organization with a 20-3 record and went 3-4 in the UFC. His release followed back-to-back losses to Kyle Noke at UFC 122 and Dongi Yang at UFC on Versus 3.
Manager: Nate Diaz vs. Rory MacDonald Still on for UFC 129
Nate Diaz is still slated to fight Rory MacDonald at UFC 129 in Toronto.
Speculation arose Tuesday night when the welterweight fighter tweeted: "Can someone tell Canada to quit trippin and let me up in there I'm tryin to get paid."
However, Diaz's manager and trainer, Cesar Gracie, confirmed with MMA Fighting via text message on Wednesday that Diaz will have no problem fighting on the April 30 card.
"Having to jump through some hoops but [Diaz] will be able to make it. He was in Canada four times last year," Gracie wrote.
According to Gracie, Diaz got into a "scrap" in Reno, Nevada, in 2006, and was charged with disturbing the peace. However, the charge never stopped Diaz from travelling to Canada in the past for various promotional events and everything is now in place for him to re-enter the country next month. Gracie wrote that the UFC was "just making sure [Diaz] has all (the) documentation" needed to cross the border for a fight.
UFC 129 will mark the first time Diaz fights in Canada.
Fueled by fans, furied by haters, Ben Rothwell focused on spectacular UFC return
Coming home from an autograph session to a computer screen filled with insults is a jarring experience.
Welcome to the double-edged sword of fandom, a split world fighters encounter when they get to the big show. Up close and personal, they're bathed in praise. Online, where MMA lives and breathes, they're cut off at the knees at a moment's notice.
That goes double for the fighters who bring personality to the table, the ones who don't consult the public relations manual before they speak, or the ones who've decided they're better served as heels.
Heavyweight Ben Rothwell (31-7 MMA, 1-1 UFC) is upset. He has not decided to be a heel.
NFL Lockout closes one door, opens another for UFC and MMA
Greed will imprison us all.
No one knows that better than the legions of National Football League (NFL) fans that are being held hostage right now by the owners and players inability to come to terms on an agreement regarding how to split the massive amount of revenue the league brings in each year.
They're also bickering over potential rule changes, whether or not to add a few games to each season, a rookie pay scale and many other labor disputes. All of these issues that have gone unresolved for far too long have led to the possibility of a work stoppage.
In short, by the time August rolls around this year, there may not be any professional football. But where one door closes, another one opens and there is always someone standing on the other side, waiting to walk through it.
Enter Dana White and his Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC).
Released from UFC, Todd Brown contemplating move to Middleweight
After an unsuccessful two-fight run in the octagon, Indiana native Todd Brown (15-3) has been released by the world's largest mixed martial arts promotion.
MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) today confirmed Brown's recent UFC release with his management at MMA Agents.
However, the 5-foot-11 light heavyweight eyes a return to the bigtime, and he's considering a drop to 185 pounds to do it.
"Bulldog" made his UFC debut in August 2010 at UFC 117. With just two weeks' notice, Brown stepped for an injured Thiago Silva and lost a unanimous decision to Tim Boetsch. The loss snapped a seven-fight win streak for Brown.