Who Does Rich Franklin Want To Fight Next? Don't Ask Him-He Doesn't Care
So he says, as long as it gets him closer to the UFC Light Heavyweight Title. "People ask me 'well who do you want to fight next?' I couldn't care less, this is a business to me; I'm making my way to the 205 lb. title at this point in time so as long as it's somebody that puts me in a direct line for that then I'm good to go, otherwise I don't want to waste my time. I've heard the fans talk about Forrest [Griffin] and I, I've heard the fans talk about Tito [Ortiz] and I. I know there's some fan interest out there for some particular fights, and I know that Dana is particularly interested in building fights that fans want to see, so if those guys are healthy at the time that I'm ready to return and that's a fight he wants to put on then yeah, I'm not going to say no to something like that."
UFC newcomer David Mitchell to debut at UFN 22
Coming off the heels of yesterday’s report that welterweight prospect Anthony “T.J.” Waldburger has signed with the Ultimate Fighting Championships, FiveOuncesOfPain.com has been informed by sources that the UFC has also added David Mitchell to its welterweight division.
Dana: Proper Regulation Saves Lives
The death of Michael Kirkham on June 26, the second mixed martial arts death in a sanctioned event in U.S. history, has been a wake up call to the dangers of insufficient regulation, the ramifications of combatants not being forthcoming on licensing applications and the landscape of the sport where new states are approving and local promoters promoting when maybe neither fully understand the tragic consequences of cutting corners. But UFC president Dana White insists mixed martial arts is not only safe, but the safest sport in the world when correctly regulated. “This is the safest sport in the world when done properly,” White said when asked about the unfortunate passing of Kirkham. Michael Kirkham died following his professional mixed martial arts debut on June 26 at the Dash Entertainment and King MMA co-promoted “Confrontation at the Convocation Center” event at the USC Aiken Convocation Center in Aiken, South Carolina. An autopsy determined that he died from subarachnoid hemorrhage of the brain.
Jake Shields could face Martin Kampmann in UFC welterweight debut
With Jake Shields UFC debut practically a foregone conclusion, the wheels are in motion to find him a suitable opponent for his return to the 170-pound division.
Not as easy as it sounds.
A quick run through the SB Nation top ten rankings will yield plenty of suitors; however, everyone with a spot high enough on the totem pole to welcome the former Strikeforce and Elite XC champion has already secured a date to the big dance.
That leaves Martin Kampmann and Paulo Thiago -- and the Dane already disposed of the crafty Brazilian at UFC 115 just last month, effectively securing his position as the last man standing.
And a win over Shields would likely ease some of the pain he felt when his desired opponent, Dan "The Outlaw" Hardy, was paired up with Carlos Condit for the upcoming UFC 120 event across the pond.
Nogueira Vows To Avenge Mir Loss, Wherever The Fight Goes
In an interview with GracieMag, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira says he's out for revenge against Frank Mir at UFC 119, and that when he's had that chance in the past he's usually fought better. "I think it will be a good fight for me. In the past time I couldn’t perform well but now I can do better. It’s a fight that I always wanted and happened. I already had some bouts in my career that I lost, but whenever I had the chance to get revenge, I fought better. I will try to do the same this time. It’s tough to plan what is going on in a fight like this because Frank is a guy who fights well either on the mat or standing. I’ll feel it on time. If we go to the ground, I like it, but if it’s to exchange on the feet, I like it, too. I’ll be ready for everything”.
Chris Lytle Gets His UFC 116 Bonus
Following the UFC 116 event on July 3, UFC president Dana White said, “We’re writing some (expletive) checks tonight. We’re writing checks, more than what you heard here tonight. Guys are going to get well taken care of.” And one of those bonus checks has made its way to Chris Lytle according to his manager, Ken Pavia. “The bonus of the night was $75,000. It wasn’t near that, but it was still significant. It was more than a mere token, so we‘re very happy about that.” Pavia told MMAWeekly Radio. “They took care of him. They gave him a nice chunk.
“They’ve been good to Chris, and Chris has made a lot of money. I would venture to say one of the top ten in the UFC by virtue of his bonuses,” added Pavia. “He was not unhappy.”
Vitor Belfort Wants To Fight The Silva-Sonnen Winner
So he says to the TATAME, noting he also still wants his UFC Middleweight Title shot he lost (at least temporarily) due to injury. “I want to fight the winner of Anderson vs Sonnen, I want to fight for the belt. Now let’s see what’s going on. If the fight is standing, Anderson wins by far. If the fight goes on the ground, Anderson also has a strong game. Sonnen is a very good guy. He will try to impose his pace to gas Anderson out, so let’s see.”
Ken Shamrock Doesn't Want To "Play God" In The Great Steroids Debate
So he says, while also perhaps drawing a few comparisions to himself because he thinks certain guys (namely a certain Overeem) are being singled out because they look so big. "Does anyone have the right to point one finger at one person? When I think everyone has a pretty good handle on how many people are actually doing it, that you're going to single out one person, one person that someone wants to pick on because he looks extremely bigger than everyone else. So you're going to point that finger and single that person out because he looks freakish? But, there's many, many, many people that are doing it. What is fair about that? Why do we have the right to pick an individual out and ruin his life? Because [Georges St. Pierre is] not 260 pounds or 240 pounds, but he's an extremely big 170 pounder. But because he's not this mammoth, he's safe. I'm not saying he is or he isn't, but what if he is? And he's extremely ripped and extremely muscular and he's put on 10 pounds of solid muscle since he's been in the UFC? And he's doing just as much as Overeem's doing? But yet, because he's a smaller fighter, we tag Overeem. What gives us that power to single out an individual and ruin that person's life? Nobody. Just because we think that he's doing something. And it's quite possibly that he is. But what makes him the person we want to be the poster child? What gives us the right to single out one individual and say, 'you know what? you're worse than this guy because you look better. Because you're better.' To me that doesn't make sense man. We're trying to play God."
Danzig Appeals UFC 115 Loss
Following a controversial stoppage at UFC 115, Mac Danzig and his management team have filed an appeal with the Vancouver Athletic Commission to have the loss to Matt Wiman overturned to a no contest. It was first reported by BJPenn.com and subsequently confirmed by Danzig. During the first round of their lightweight match-up, Wiman caught Danzig in a guillotine choke. It appeared deep at first, but a close-up from the overhead camera showed that one side of Danzig's neck was completely exposed, so he was still breathing and at that point not in danger of being choked out. As Danzig was pushing off a leg to try and maneuver his way out, referee Yves Lavigne appeared to hear Wiman say he thought his opponent was unconscious. A brief touch of the glove and he stopped the fight. Danzig bounced up immediately, confused about why the fight was stopped. Either way, they'll rematch at UFN 22.
Jon Jones: You Heavyweights Gotta Watch Out
It's been nearly two years since UFC light heavyweight contender Jon Jones first burst on the national scene, and the New Yorker's rise to prominence has been nothing short of astronomical. Just four fights into his UFC run, many mixed martial arts fans are already calling for a light heavyweight title shot. But as Jones prepares for a showdown with veteran grinder Vladimir Matyushenko at August's UFC on Versus 2 event, the soon-to-be-23-year-old told the crew of ESPN's "MMA Live" that he's not necessarily just focused on a 205-pound title. "Bones" might eventually go up to heavyweight, too. "This training camp has been really tough for me, actually," Jones said on the most recent episode of "MMA Live." "I got up to about 231 (pounds) for the first time, and I'll be 23 on Monday. I feel as if I'm growing into a more adult body.
"Who knows what the future holds for me. I'm always training hard, and I'm going to start to focus more on weightlifting in my off-time. You heavyweights gotta watch out because you never know what's going to happen."
Jake Shields signs contract to join the UFC, drops back to welterweight.
The UFC has a new contender in the welterweight division and his name is Jake Shields.
The former Strikeforce middleweight champion has officially signed with the UFC, and will move back down to 170lbs, where he spent the majority of his career before a recent move to 185lbs.
The news was announced by GracieFighter.com, the site for Shields' lead trainer Cesar Gracie, on late Thursday night.
I really like the move though I'm pulling for the winner of Fitch vs Alves to face him rather than Kampman.
Roy Nelson Gets Junior Dos Santos-Because Nobody Else Wanted To Fight Him
So says "Big Country", who also adds he didn't exactly get the fight by choice...not his choice, anyway. "Anybody that actually follows the sport who actually knows my style and knows what I can do doesn’t underestimate me. I may not be a Greek god, or what people think a fighter looks like, but I’m definitely a fighter. Dos Santos is the pinnacle of guys in the UFC. He’s the number one contender for sure in the heavyweight division. Nobody wants to fight him in the UFC, hence why I’m here fighting him. I pretty much got an email from Joe Silva asking if I wanted to…actually, not even asking me if I wanted to, but telling me that I was fighting Dos Santos next, and here I am."
Shane Carwin Knows Who to Blame for Brock Lesnar Loss
While it’s difficult for most competitors to accept defeat, it’s nearly impossible for them to blame themselves for such an atrocity. In steps former UFC interim heavyweight champ Shane Carwin, who took a hard look in the mirror after his loss to Brock Lesnar and instantly realized he was staring directly at the man to blame.
“I’m not making any excuses for that fight. Brock won that fight. He came out of a 1stRound that I don’t think many people could, and if I want to blame anybody on that fight it’s me,” Carwin told MMAWeekly.com.
The Life & Times Of Brock Lesnar: Coming Soon
The life and times of Brock Lesnar spans an NCAA championship in wrestling, a career as a WWE Superstar, a short stint trying out for the NFL, and now being the UFC heavyweight champion. That life will hit the pages, and then hit bookstore shelves, as Lesnar and longtime friend Paul Heyman are currently working on an autobiography for the South Dakota born fighter who has seen a lot in his 32 years. Heyman, formerly known as Paul E. Dangerously to many pro wrestling fans, has been a longtime friend to Lesnar, and the two are collaborating on a book that will give fans an insider's view to his life. No word from Lesnar on when the book will be released, but it's expected to span quite a bit of time and cover many subjects, as he's lived an interesting life that should end up being a monumental story.
Kris McCray Likely To 170, Wants Germany Fight
Kris McCray may not have won the finale for “The Ultimate Fighter Season 11,” but that doesn't mean he's lost his desire to be a fighter in the UFC. The winner of the first ever wild card in the reality show's history is looking to come back just as strong as he did after a loss on the show, and prove he belongs with the best. Currently taking some down time with family following the fight, McCray said nothing but good things about opponent Court McGee. His experience cutting weight going into the finale has McCray thinking about dropping to 170, and he already knows when and where he'd like to fight next. "I heard the UFC's going to Germany in November. I'd definitely love to get on that card, since I'm from Germany, and I speak German. So that would be a really fun trip for me," said McCray. "I'm anxious and I'm still just as hungry. I want to go showcase my skills."
UFC Returns To Australia In 2011
The Ultimate Fighting Championship took its Octagon to Australia for the first time on Feb. 21 with UFC 110. The event was an unabashed success with UFC president Dana White vowing to return, possibly making the land down under an annual stop. White recently said the Las Vegas-based fight promotion will return to Australia in 2011. “If you’ve ever known how we do it, when we come in and we’re as successful as we were in this market, we make it an annual event. So we’ll be coming back here obviously,” White said to the media at the UFC 110 post-fight press conference in Sydney. “Our first trip to Australia was very successful.” Following UFC 116 on July 3, White stated, “We’ll be back to Australia next year.” No word on where they'll go yet, but it could be back to Sydney or a trip to Melbourne.
Chris Leben Ready To Showcase His Coaching Skills Opposite Wanderlei Silva
TUF 13 coaches, perhaps? "[Coaching TUF] would absolutely be huge for me. I mean, I am a coach, that's what I do. I have my own gym with a whole group of guys that I train. I'd love the opportunity to get on TV and really showcase my skills and let the world see. I've changed quite a bit from the first season from that cocky, punk kid. I'm a mixed martial artists and I'm a fantastic coach. Besides that opportunity, Wanderlei Silva is my favorite fighter. By coming up and watching him and watching the wars that he's fought, I absolutely love the guy and I'd like to think I somewhat model my fighting style after his. Who doesn't want to go out and take out their hero?"
GSP, Edgar Come Up Short At 2010 ESPYs
Well, there's always next year. UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre and lightweight title holder Frankie Edgar each fell short in their bids to win a 2010 ESPY Award at ESPN's annual awards ceremony. St-Pierre was nominated in the "Best Fighter" category, while Edgar's UFC 112 win over former champion B.J. Penn was up for an award as the year's "Best Upset." The results of the awards were announced on Wednesday night during a live ESPN broadcast. St-Pierre lost out to boxing great Floyd Mayweather, who is now a three-time winner in the category. Edgar lost to Northern Iowa's NCAA basketball tournament upset of No. 1-seeded Kansas.
UFC Announcer Bruce Buffer Cashes In 2010 WSOP Main Event
After UFC welterweight Mike Swick cashed in one of the series' earlier events, another member of the UFC family earned a payout in the 2010 World Series of Poker – this time in the main event. Ring announcer Bruce Buffer, who also moonlights as a part-time pro poker player and host of the Luxor Las Vegas poker room, finished 478th out of 7,319 entrants. He earned a $27,519 payout for the finish. Buffer survived until the seventh of a scheduled 12-day tournament (though the first four days are all "start days" to accommodate the massive field of players). His pocket aces unfortunately fell short when a fellow player flopped quad 8s, which knocked Buffer out of the tournament.
UFC 116 Draws 12,740 For $4.05 Million Live Gate
While UFC 116 was billed as having "the biggest fight ever", financially it may not have delivered as hoped. The NSAC announced today that the event officially drew 12,740 for a live gate of $4,053,990. The attendance includes 9218 paid, 3522 comps, and the surprise stat-2194 unsold tickets. The live gate ranks 5th all-time for a UFC.