Beating Chael Sonnen Will Get Nate Marquardt The Next Title Shot
According to Marquardt, of course. He is of the understanding that a win over the streaking Chael Sonnen at UFC 109 gets him a one way ticket to a 185-pound title match. Dan Henderson seemed to think the same thing, until a series of setbacks led to his departure after his Zuffa contract dried up. He also doesn't agree with Vitor Belfort getting the next shot at Anderson Silva "just because he hasn't really fought at 185".
UFC bolsters UFC 110 preliminary card with Lytle vs. Foster, Dollaway vs. Reljic
Two previously reported bouts are now official for next month's UFC 110 preliminary card.
The Ultimate Fighting Championship today confirmed Chris Lytle (27-17-5 MMA, 6-9 UFC) meets fellow welterweight Brian Foster (13-4 MMA, 1-1 UFC), and middleweight C.B. Dollaway (9-2 MMA, 3-2 UFC) takes on Goran Reljic (8-0 MMA, 1-0 UFC).
MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) previously passed along news of both bouts, which take place Feb. 21 at Acer Arena in Sydney, Australia.
The show, which is the UFC's first in Australia, features a heavyweight pay-per-view headliner between contenders Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and Cain Velasquez. Fan favorite Wanderlei Silva takes on Michael Bisping in the co-headliner.
Kendall Grove Could Face Mark Munoz At UFC 112
Kendall Grove's mystery opponent at the as-yet-unannounced UFC 112 event could be "The Filipino Wrecking Machine." Mark Munoz reportedly is under "intense consideration" to be the opponent for Grove in Abu Dhabi. It is unknown whether bout agreements have been distributed, but at least one fighter has verbally agreed to the contest. However, Munoz first needs to be cleared by an orthopedic doctor for injuries suffered during his UFC 108 bout earlier this month before getting the green-light to begin camp (he is under medical suspension until July 2 unless cleared early).
Stout Living the Dream in the UFC
Sam Stout didn't hesitate for a moment when asked what the coolest thing he has experienced over the last 10 days.
'I was at my after(fight) party in Vegas, and MC Hammer came up to me to congratulate me. He sat down and we hung out and talked for a bit too.'
You can't touch that.
Brock Lesnar's fighting future to be revealed next week via press conference
UFC President Dana White has revealed that both he UFC Heavyweight Champion Brock Lesnar will hold a joint press conference next week in Las Vegas to discuss Brock's future as a mixed-martial-artist.
White confirmed the news to MMAfighting.com recently on a trip to New York, refusing to elaborate on the nature of the press conference, only saying Lesnar’s future would be out in the open. Confusing yet very positive reports have surfaced recently with Randy Couture revealing previous conversations with the champ and that he's already back in training and may be fighting by spring.
Lesnar required surgery to repair damage inflicted by intestinal diverticulitis. The promotion recently announced that number one contender Shane Carwin will battle former champion Frank Mir at UFC 111 in his absence and we may finally know by the end of next week if that bout will be contested for an interim title or the true title (if the Minnesotan is forced to surrender the belt in anticipation of a long or permanent absence).
Keith Florian Says Brother Ready For Gomi, Whoever
The rumors have circled since the weekend of UFC 108 when Gomi's signing was announced, and immediately Florian's name was mentioned as a possible opponent. Florian's brother and head coach, Keith Florian, says they'd take that fight in a second, but as of now it's still up to the UFC."I think Gomi would be a great fight for Kenny. He's one of those people who was No. 1 in the world for a long time, and I think that would be a great fight for us," Keith told MMAWeekly.com recently.
Dana: UFC In DC Likely In 2011
The Nation's Capital is now on notice-Washington, DC may be next on Dana White's hit list. After a very successful UFC Fight Night in nearby Fairfax, VA, the UFC President says a UFC PPV will probably be held in DC in "the next year, year-and-a-half. We'll bring a big PPV here".
UFN 20 Fighter Payouts
The Virginia Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation has released the official fighter payouts from UFN 20. The total disclosed payouts are not known at this time because payouts for Mike Guymon & Rory MacDonald were not revealed, but the biggest share of the payouts-$60,000-went to Chris Leben.
Dear Diary: I'm Way Better Than Wanderlei Silva! Signed, Michael Bisping
And Bisping feels very confident in his game plan for the fight in Australia. He wrote this in an online diary for The Daily Telegraph (Australia): "I believe it's a very winnable fight for me, though. I know Wanderlei's a legend but I truly believe styles make fights and that I've got the perfect style to beat him. Obviously I'm going to have to be wary of his aggressive style and his punch power, but I'm very confident of going to Australia and beating Wanderlei. He's experienced and possesses heavy hands but, other than, I feel I'm way better than him. I know I have the ability to beat him – it's now just about executing my game plan on the night…"
Belfort's Manager Confirms Silva Fight For UFC 112
Following months of speculation on the fate of a postponed bout between UFC Middleweight champion Anderson Silva and Vitor Belfort, the pieces are finally in place for an April fight. Fabiano Farah, Belfort's manager, confirmed today the fight is on for UFC 112 in Abu Dhabi. But Silva's manager, Ed Soares, hasn't confirmed the fight yet. So make of this what you will.
Wilson Gouveia Cut by UFC, Will Make MFC Debut in April
Following back to back TKO losses, the UFC has apparently trimmed Wilson Gouveia from their roster. However it didn’t take the fighter long to find at new home with Maximum Fighting Chamionships, according to a post on the promotion’s president, Mark Pavelich’s Twitter account.
Wilson always put on a show and was ready for a war every time out, but you do have to win in order to stay in the UFC, I think he could possibly make a comeback after a couple wins in MFC.
Nate Diaz clarifies weight-cutting remarks, sees future at lightweight and welterweight
Nate Diaz (11-5 MMA, 6-3 UFC) is not leaving the lightweight division permanently — he just wants a break.
Diaz, who came up short Monday night in a headlining fight with Gray Maynard (9-0 MMA, 6-0 UFC) at UFC Fight Night 20, slammed his performance and said he wants to explore his options a weight class up.
"It's just a possibility," Diaz today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "I'm not going to permanently go, but I could probably jump around. If I want to make (155 pounds) all year long and be starving and miserable for that long, I'd probably want to get paid more. Until I start getting paid more, maybe I should ease up a weight class."
White Says Abu Dhabi Sale Will Advance Global Expansion
The UFC sold off a chunk to an Abu Dhabi company to speed up its world expansion plan, according to president Dana White.
"UFC has no financial issues and business has never been better," White told www.ufc.com. "We did this deal because of the huge opportunities it provides for UFC's global growth."