TUF 13 Finale prelims add Edwards vs. Harvison, Bailey vs. McGillivray
Despite falling short on "The Ultimate Fighter 13," four eliminated cast members have been tapped for official UFC fights on the preliminary card of Saturday's live show finale.
The matchups include Justin Edwards (6-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) vs. Clay Harvison (8-3 MMA, 0-0 UFC) and Shamar Bailey (11-3 MMA, 0-0 UFC) vs. Ryan McGillivray (11-4-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC).
Is it bad that I watched the entire season and have no idea who Justin Edwards is?
UFC 130 winner Brian Stann on two-year title plan, boss predicts superstardom
If you're looking to notch a victory over fast-rising UFC middleweight contender Brian Stann (11-3 MMA, 5-2 UFC), you might be best served by acting quickly.
After blasting former Sengoku champion Jorge Santiago at this past weekend's UFC 130 event, Stann said he's still two years away from finding his peak form. And when he does, UFC president Dana White predicts certain superstardom.
After brain-hemorrhage scare, UFC's Brian Foster cleared to fight
UFC welterweight Brian Foster has been cleared to resume his MMA career.
A second MRI has determined that no permanent damage is present six weeks after doctors discovered a brain hemorrhage that forced Foster to withdraw from a fight with Sean Pierson at UFC 129 this past month.
With the doctor's clearance, Foster awaits his next fight booking.
Georges St-Pierre vs. Nick Diaz set for UFC 137 in Las Vegas
The hurdles have apparently been cleared.
Despite his recent insistence that a bout between current UFC champion Georges St-Pierre (22-2 MMA, 16-2 UFC) and Strikeforce title holder Nick Diaz (25-7 MMA, 6-4 UFC) was anything but a done deal, UFC president Dana White today announced the two welterweights will clash in the main event of the previously unannounced UFC 137 event.
Edit: Diaz's manager, Cesar Gracie, did tell USA Today that the St-Pierre fight is part of a new eight-fight contract for Diaz that allows the current Strikeforce champ to compete in both Strikeforce and the UFC
No Fitch? No problem. Rick Story just wants to fight the UFC's best
Following his UFC 130 win over Thiago Alves this past Saturday night, UFC welterweight Rick Story (13-3 MMA, 6-1 UFC) expressed his desire for a bout with perennial contender Jon Fitch.
Fitch subsequently claimed he wasn't interested in a fight with Story, citing potential bouts with B.J. Penn or Georges St-Pierre as the only contests the appeared truly interesting.
That's just fine, Story today told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). Fitch might be out of commission too long, anyway. Story has hie eyes on the title, and he wants to stay busy on his way to the top.
UFC 133 tickets for Wells Fargo Center on Aug. 6 in Philadelphia, Pa., on sale soon
Tickets for UFC 133, which was recently made official for the Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on Saturday, Aug. 6, 2011, will go on sale to the general public on Saturday, June 11, 2011, at 10 a.m. ET.
UFC Fight Club members and UFC Newsletter subscribers, naturally, will be able to scoop up tickets prior to them being available for public consumption.
"Evans vs. Davis" will feature a potential light heavyweight number one contender bout, as "Suga" Rashad Evans takes on "Mr. Wonderful" Phil Davis.
Jon Fitch Not Interested in Rick Story Fight, Would Wait for BJ Penn or Georges St-Pierre
Highly ranked welterweight contender Jon Fitch is all about getting big fights. For years, he’s stepped up and fought some of the toughest opponents in the division.
As of late, one fighter who’s made waves at 170 pounds is Rick Story. The fighter out of Brave Legion in Washington State beat former title contender Thiago Alves by unanimous decision this past Saturday at UFC 130: Rampage vs. Hamill. In his postfight interviews, Story made it clear the most ideal next opponent for him is Fitch, citing that the wrestler out of Purdue is the next one up the rankings.
Manager: UFC 130 winner Travis Browne "most dangerous heavyweight in division"
Travis Browne had to wait in line.
Despite delivering one of the only highlight-reel clips of UFC 130 – and getting the bonus to show for it – the 29-year-old former K-9 trainer sat patiently on the post-event press conference dais while the cards headliners explained a lackluster showing.
Browne (11-0-1 MMA, 2-0-1 UFC) was one of only two that dressed up for the occasion, wearing a button-down shirt and tie. (Brian Stann took it a step further and wore a suit jacket.) But he eventually got his moment, and not just with the knockout.
The 6-foot-11 Stefan Struve provided the content for Browne's highlight reel when he lunged in with a knee and caught a right to the jaw that put him horizontal to the mat before he landed there. Browne pounced and delivered follow-up punishment, but there was no need.
Top-ranked featherweight Hatsu Hioki vacates Shooto belt, will attend UFC 131
If all goes well, the UFC could have all the top-ranked featherweight talent locked up by next month.
Japanese featherweight Hatsu Hioki turned down an offer to fight featherweight champion Hiroyuki Takeya at DREAM.17 and on Tuesday announced that he's vacating his Shooto lightweight title.
Shu Hirata, an associate of Hioki who represents several Japanese fighters, today told MMAjunkie.com that the fighter is headed to UFC 131 as a guest, and all signs point to contract negotiations.
UFC 130 medical suspensions: Jackson, Mir, Stann, Santiago face six-month layoffs
UFC 130's list of walking wounded was lengthy, and five fighters from this past weekend's card face medical suspensions of up to six months.
MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) today requested and received the list of suspensions from the Nevada State Athletic Commissions.
The potential half-year suspensions went to main-event winner Quinton "Rampage" Jackson, co-main-event winner Frank Mir, main-card fighters Brian Stann and Jorge Santiago, and preliminary-card competitor Michael McDonald.
Anderson Silva Says Yushi Okami Shouldn't Train With 'Loser 'Sonnen
UFC Middleweight Champion Anderson Silva defends his title in August when the UFC returns to his home country of Brazil for the first time since the late 90's as he takes on Yushin Okami in the main event of UFC: Rio.
Silva has faced Okami one time before, losing to the Japanese fighter in Hawaii via a disqualification, and will look to avenge that loss in the process of defending the strap.
Silva talked about Okami this week and gave his thoughts on his decision to align himself with Chael Sonnen and company prior to the contest to prepare:
“You have to find the best people to train with, and I think [Okami] chose wrong,” Silva said.
UFC 130 payouts, salaries and earnings for 'Rampage vs Hamill' event fighters
UFC 130 fighter payouts for those who competed at the "Rampage vs. Hamill" event this past Saturday night (May 28, 2011) from the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas were released earlier today by the Nevada State Athletic Commission.
Former UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Quinton Jackson split the top spot with ex-heavyweight champ Frank MIr, as both fighters took home an event-leading $250,000, for their winning performances in "Sin City."
"Rampage" bested Matt Hamill ($32,000) while Mir outpointed Roy Nelson ($15,000).
Tito Ortiz Split With Jenna Jameson Taking Nasty Public Turn Before UFC 132 Bout
Former UFC light heavyweight champion Tito Ortiz has been going through some nasty public drama with his ex-partner Jenna Jameson. According to published reports the two split a couple of weeks back. They took their fussing and a feuding to twitter over the weekend (tweets compiled by Fight Opinion obscenities **'d out by me)
Now normally I wouldn't post this or even read it because I think people who take relationship problems public on the internet are VERY pathetic and inappropriate people but this one makes me think it's the first sign that Tito will be pulling out of this fight somehow. I already thought he was going to pull out but this just makes me believe it even more.
UFC vet Kurt Pellegrino announces MMA hiatus, potential retirement
Kurt Pellegrino's days as a professional fighter may be over, he recently announced.
The veteran UFC lightweight, who had climbed into title contention with a recent four-fight win streak and 8-2 run, is taking a hiatus from active MMA competition.
Pellegrino said the disappointment of a recent two-fight losing skid, as well as outside interests, have prompted him not to seek a UFC contract renewal.
"At this time I am choosing to take some time off and step away from the sport as a fighter," he wrote today on kurtpellegrino.com. "Over my most recent fights, I have come to the realization that at this point I no longer can [or] want to make fighting my first priority."
Philippines now likely to host first international "TUF," UFC eyeing future world grand prix
UFC president Dana White is still hanging "TUF" with the Philippines, but his promotion is not quite there in mounting its first international version of the reality show.
"We're like one piece away from finishing the thing," White told reporters following UFC 130, which took place this past Saturday at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.
That piece, however, could be the start of a much more ambitious drive to create a world grand prix of international competitors on "The Ultimate Fighter," he added.