Vancouver Riots Blamed on UFC, NHL By School Board Chair
In a move that's all too predictable, a Vancouver school board chair named Patti Bacchus has found the time to point the finger at the UFC for their role in the Vancouver riots. The riots started after the Vancouver Canucks lost game seven of the NHL Stanley Cup finals to the Boston Bruins. The following days saw authorities blaming everything from "roving gangs of youths" to "anarchists" all while trying to minimize that it was, more than likely, a stupid mixed group of Canucks fans and people just looking to make trouble.
The most recent attempt to blame the UFC is probably the most absurd, however. Via the Vancouver Courier (by way of Yahoo's Puckdaddy):
"The painted faces and hockey itself-it's aggressive, they celebrate the brawling on ice, it's winning, it's dominance. If kids are all watching a UFC game and cheering someone for bloodying up someone else's face, how big a leap is that from cheering on someone smashing a window? It's very mixed messages we're sending to young people who are still in a stage of developing their impulse control and moral development."
Jorge Rivera Talks Possible Retirement, Michael Bisping
UFC middleweight Jorge Rivera might be near the end of the line. The 39-year-old veteran is coming off a loss to Michael Bisping, and his thoughts are apparently creeping towards retirement. He spoke to the Boston Herald about his ten-year MMA career and what might happen with his career after his fight with Alessio Sakara at UFC 133:
"I've been thinking that this might be the last fight. I'm going to give it all I've got," Rivera said. "The last fight left me kind of flat. Other than being sick of fighting, I'm not sure I want to do that. I'm getting to 40-years-old now. I don't want to be taking unnecessary blows to the head. I want to come out with a W and maybe take one or two big fights and then I'm done."
UFC 132's Chris Leben doesn't like fighting, despite all evidence to the contrary
Chris Leben will be the first to tell you he doesn't have issues; he's got subscriptions.
Fighting used to be something that not only gave him the opportunity to prove himself, but maybe – just maybe – unburden himself of those issues in the most physical way possible.
That was years ago, though. A decade after getting into the sport, he's mellowed, and he fights for different reasons, as he today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).
After a tough year, a re-motivated Wanderlei Silva returns at UFC 132
Sitting on the sidelines is hard for any fighter, but when you're Wanderlei Silva, it's excruciating.
One of the most beloved figures in the sport, Silva gets messages daily from fans who want to see him return to the cage sooner than later.
For the past year, though, he's been unable to oblige those requests. Injuries have kept Silva (33-10-1 MMA, 3-5 UFC) out of the spotlight for 17 months, and now that he's back, he wants to please his fans as much as he wants to beat Chris Leben (21-7 MMA, 11-6 UFC), whom he faces at UFC 132.
UFC Quick Quote: Anthony Pettis is overrated
Streaking UFC lightweight Donald Cerrone (15-3) tells Pro MMA Radio he agrees with Gray Maynard's recent assessment of Anthony Pettis. "The Bully" balked at the idea of "Showtime" getting a UFC lightweight title fight after his five round win (and highlight reel kick) over Ben Henderson under the now-defunct WEC banner. Pettis coughed up his number one contender status when he came off the bench to answer the call of Clay Guida at the Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 13 Finale earlier this month after he was unable to saw his way through "The Carpenter's" wooden top control. Is Cerrone unjustly hating on his fellow WEC import?
Follow link for quote
UFC 130 only drew 7,470 paid attendees
UFC 130 recorded a gate of $2,577,250 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, on May 28, 2011, according to official figures from the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) released earlier today.
The final attendance of 12,753 was a result of 7,470 tickets sold and 5,283 complimentary tickets. A considerable 1,161 tickets went unsold.
UFC 130 was supposed to feature the trilogy match between lightweight champion Frankie Edgar and Gray Maynard; however, both fighters sustained injuries while training for the 155-pound bout and it was postponed until later this year.
Tito Ortiz: I begged the UFC for my job back
Tito Ortiz has revealed to The Telegraph that he “begged the UFC for his job back” after he was jettisoned by the mixed martial arts organisation following his loss to Matt Hamill.
“Dana White and Joe Silva [the UFC's matchmaker] told me they wanted me to retire, but I knew I still had the fight inside me. I pretty much begged for my job, to show how much I want to fight, but I still have it in my heart to compete, to fight. I told them I want to still fight against the top guys, I want to put on a show.”
“I’ve just turned 36, but when they put me against the top guys, I think I can still compete.”
Gomi Meets Younger Diaz in UFC 135 Lightweight Scrap
Takanori Gomi will soon have something in common with Josh Neer, Koji Oishi and Joe Hurley.
Ultimate Fighting Championship officials Tuesday announced that Gomi (Pictured; file photo) will face Nate Diaz in a lightweight contest at UFC 135 on Sept. 24, placing the Japanese star on the list of those who have squared off against both fighting Diaz brothers of Stockton, Calif.
Gomi met older brother Nick Diaz at a February 2007 Pride Fighting Championships event in Las Vegas and was submitted with a stunning second-round gogoplata. Two months later, the result was changed to a no-decision by the Nevada State Athletic Commission when Diaz’s post-fight drug screen showed elevated levels of Delta-9-THC, the active ingredient in marijuana...
UFC on Versus 4 All Prelims on Facebook
It looks like we get all the fights again. The UFC announced on their Facebook page today that the entire preliminary card for UFC on Versus 4 will be streamed on the social networking site this Sunday, June 26th. Since UFC 129 the UFC has been committed to showing every fight on each card, and the theme continues here. The prelims will be begin at 4:55 p.m ET/1:55 p.m. PT, and the main card will be broadcasted on Versus starting at 8 p.m ET/5 p.m. PT. Nothing has been mentioned in regards to a possible Youtube stream. Many people had problems with the Youtube stream the last time around, but I personally found it even clearer than the Facebook stream when it was working.
Spike TV to overlap UFC on Versus 4 broadcast with Nate Marquardt marathon
Spike TV will showcase an all-day marathon featuring some of UFC fighter Nate Marquardt's best fights this Sunday, June 16.
The special runs from 1 p.m. to 11 p.m. ET/PT, which means it'll overlap with UFC on Versus 4, a live event that airs at 9 p.m. ET (6 p.m. PT) on Versus.
UFC on Versus 4, of course, features a headliner pitting Marquardt against Rick Story. It marks Marquardt's debut in the welterweight division.
UFC Quick Quote: Phil Davis likes being the underdog against Rashad Evans
Surging UFC light heavyweight contender Phil Davis gives The Fight Fix a "Wonderful" assessment of his Octagon skills as he heads into a UFC 133 main event opposite former 205-pound champion Rashad Evans on Aug. 6 in Philadelphia. The undefeated wrestler out of Penn State could potentially earn a title shot in early 2012 if he can prove he is indeed sweeter than "Suga" in the "City of Brotherly Love."
Strikeforce Overeem vs. Werdum Live Gate a Fraction of UFC Event in Same Venue
Strikeforce: Overeem vs. Werdum was held last night in Dallas' American Airlines Center. The event featured two fights in the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix and was aired on Showtime and HDNet.
MMA Junkie reports that the event drew a reported 7,639 attendees for a $543,060 live gate. For comparison, UFC 103 in the same venue in 2009 drew 17,428 attendees for a $2.4 million gate. That event was headlined by a 195lb catchweight bout between Rich Franklin and Vitor Belfort.
Strikeforce: Houston, the promotion's only previous trip to the Lone Star State drew a reported 8,635 attendees but the gate was never revealed.
72 Hours with Urijah Faber: The Life of a Champion
Urijah Faber is used to being in the spotlight. He’s been the main event over and over again. But on July 2 at UFC 132, Faber steps into the brightest spotlight of his career in the biggest fight of his career.
Faber squares of with UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz, a man he’s defeated once before.
Only this time, unlike four and a half years ago in the WEC, Faber will be the challenger try to wrest the belt from Cruz.
Video on MMA Playground
UFC on Versus 4: Weight Drop Doesn’t Faze Nate Marquardt Heading into Fight with Rick Story
Nate Marquardt steps into the main event at UFC on Versus 4 not only with the weight of a headlining bout on his shoulders, but also the prospect of fighting for the first time in a new weight class in the Octagon.
A staple of the middleweight division since his UFC debut in 2005, Marquardt has bumped up against realizing his dream, a UFC championship, several times at 185 pounds, only to fall short.
Noticing how much better he felt at a lighter walking around weight, he decided to give the welterweight class a go. He has no easy first fight at his new weight, stepping into the Octagon with Rick Story, who has quickly risen up the ranks of the division.
Riki Fukuda out of UFC 133 due to car-accident injury
Japanese striker Riki Fukuda (17-5 MMA, 0-1 UFC) has been forced out of a UFC 133 bout with fellow middleweight Rafael "Sapo" Natal (12-3-1 MMA, 0-1-1 UFC).
In a Twitter update, Fukuda said he suffered a left-knee injury in a recent car accident. He didn't give a timetable for his return.
UFC officials have not officially announced the withdrawal or a possible replacement opponent for Natal.
UFC 133 takes place at Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia on Aug. 6. The night's main card airs on pay-per-view, though Fukuda vs. Natal was slated for the preliminary card.
TUF 13's Chuck O'Neil Released by the UFC
More trimming has been done from the UFC roster. Shortly after the news that Kendall Grove has been released, another TUF alum has received his walking papers. Season 13's Chuck O'Neil announced it on his facebook page:
I was officially released by the UFC today. I will continue to work hard to improve myself as a person and a fighter everyday. I WILL make it back there because the UFC is where I belong. Thank you to everyone for your continued support and there will be a fight coming soon with a MUCH improved performance!
Kendall Grove cut by the UFC
"Da Spyder" is going to have to find somewhere else to weave his web.
That's because Kendall Grove (12-9) has been released by the UFC following a unanimous decision defeat at the hands of Tim Boetsch at the recent UFC 130: "Rampage vs. Hamill" event on May 28.