UFC Signs Robert Peralta to Face Mike Lullo at UFC Fight Night 25
With Mackens Semerzier injured, the UFC has scrambled to find a replacement opponent for Mike Lullo at UFC Fight Night 25 in New Orleans in just a few weeks, and now they have one. Strikeforce and Gladiator Challenge veteran, Robert Peralta, has signed with the UFC and agreed to face Lullo in a featherweight bout on the preliminary portion of the September 17th card.
Culinary Union Requests Formal Zuffa Investigation By FTC
Yesterday, the Culinary Workers Union Local 226 sent a letter to the Federal Trade Commission requesting that a formal investigation into whether business practices by Zuffa LLC, the corporate owner of the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), violate U.S. antitrust laws.
The letter goes on to point out that since 2001, Zuffa has acquired four of its key rivals (Pride Fighting Championship, World Extreme Cagefighting, the World Fighting Alliance, and most recently Strikeforce earlier this year. They also state that through some independent research performed in 2008, Zuffa controls 80-90% of the mixed martial arts market.
Specifically, the letter points out that Zuffa has preserved and strengthened its dominance in the market through their unwillingness to co-promote events as well as anti-competitive contractual restraints placed on their contracted fighters...
UFC's Yoshihiro Akiyama teases welterweight move, seeks Georges St-Pierre's advice
Japanese superstar Yoshihiro Akiyama isn't planning on shedding any sexiness, but he will look to drop about 15 pounds.
Akiyama recent revealed to Japanese news outlet Sponichi he's intending to drop down to the welterweight division in an effort to snap out of a three-fight losing streak.
Additionally, Akiyama, who recently closed his gym in Japan, said he hopes to shift his training base to North America and work alongside UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre.
Cain Velasquez vs. Junior dos Santos Confirmed for UFC on FOX Main Event
Cain Velasquez and Junior Dos Santos will lead the UFC's charge on to network television.
UFC president Dana White today announced that Velasquez and Dos Santos will headline UFC on FOX 1, which takes place Nov. 12 at Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif.
The event marks the UFC's debut on network television and kicks-off a seven-year deal between the UFC and FOX, a partnership that also includes UFC programming on FX and FUEL TV.
Report: Brock Lesnar's UFC Career Is Uncertain
Brock Lesnar announced, "I'm back!" Dana White told us to expect Lesnar to "be back the first of the year." According to a report from The MMA Corner, there's now a chance Lesnar doesn't return to the UFC at all.
However, multiple sources close to his camp tell a different story about the former champion's condition. According to the sources, more than one doctor has informed Lesnar that he should no longer compete in the sport due to the stress that training and fighting puts on his body.
Anderson Silva on Jon Jones: "I don’t see anyone who has enough to beat him."
Searched & couldn't find it.
Sherdog's 8 questions w/ Anderson Silva led to some pretty interesting answers from the p4p king....
Sherdog.com: Let’s talk about the guys who are at light heavyweight. Do you see anyone who can beat champion Jon Jones today?
Silva: Oh, Jon Jones has some good momentum going. I think he’s getting better as an athlete and always shows some development and better technique. He’s evolving a lot. To me, today, I don’t see anyone who has enough to beat him. Of course, no one is unbeatable. He’s overcoming adversities and learning every day. He’s a guy who really can adapt to all types of techniques and has everything he needs to keep the belt for a long time. He is reigning at his weight and surpassing all expectations. He was absolutely superior in most of his fights so far, but when you become champion, the pressure changes. He now has to live out the responsibilities of a champion and deal with the pressure to succeed as a champion. I hope he knows how to handle it, because it’s not easy at all.
UFC 137's Tyson Griffin launches fundraiser to benefit troubled youth
In advance of his fight with Bart Palaszewski at UFC 137, Tyson Griffin is drumming up support for a local charity.
The UFC featherweight is conducting a raffle to benefit Boys Town of Nevada, an organization dedicated that cares for troubled youth and families.
One lucky winner will get two tickets to the pay-per-view event, which takes place Oct. 29 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, as well as two tickets to Griffin's afterparty.
Norifumi "Kid" Yamamoto vs. Damacio Page scratched from UFC 135 prelims
A bantamweight bout between Norifumi "Kid" Yamamoto (18-4 MMA, 0-1 UFC) and Damacio Page (15-6 MMA, 0-1 UFC) has been scratched from next month's UFC 135 event.
Both fighters suffered injuries in the lead-up to the fight.
UFC 135 takes place Sept. 24 at Denver's Pepsi Center. The night's main card, including light-heavyweight champ Jon Jones vs. Quinton "Rampage" Jackson, airs on pay-per-view.
Yamamoto vs. Page was slated for a part of the preliminary card that's expected to stream on Facebook.
Yamamoto made his long-awaited UFC debut earlier this year and suffered a unanimous-decision loss to Demetrious Johnson at UFC 126. The K-1 HERO'S and DREAM vet now is just 1-3 in his past four fights following a seven-year, 14-fight win streak in Japan. Yamamoto, who was slated to fight Chris Cariaso at UFC 130, has now pulled out of two straight fights.
Carlos Condit and Ben Henderson Ink Multi-Fight Contract Extensions with the UFC
Job security is important in any job. It’s also nice to be rewarded with that job security for work well done.
That’s what the UFC has done for two top ten fighters as Carlos Condit and Ben Henderson have both inked multi-fight contract extensions with the promotion.
Condit and Henderson’s representation at First Round Management announced the news on Wednesday.
“These fight contract extensions show the MMA world that the UFC values Ben Henderson and Carlos Condit as two of its top, young stars,” First Round Management President Malki Kawa said. “Both are only 27 years old and have proven that they are contenders for titles in their weight divisions and also have strong fan bases. Fans will now be able to see them continue to grow in the Octagon.”
Matt Brown replaces Pascal Krauss, meets John Hathaway at UFC 138
Matt Brown has replaced injured Pascal Krauss and now meets fellow welterweight John Hathaway at UFC 138.
UFC officials today announced the change.
UFC 138 takes place Nov. 5 at the 16,000-seat LG Arena at the National Exhibition Centre in Birmingham, England. The night's main card airs via same-day delay on Spike TV.
Griffin out 180 days; complete UFC 134 suspensions
For events outside of North America, there is no commission with direct jurisdiction to regulate. Zuffa has implemented a strict system using some of the most experienced doctors and regulators in the sport, that provides a level of regulation equal to or above the standard of most major athletic commissions. The following suspensions were released directly to MixedMartialArts.com:
Frank Mir is less focused on Brock Lesnar, more concerned with fighting Alistair Overeem in the UFC
Frank Mir must have followed the same diet plan as Ubereem and if so, there are a lot less horses living on this earth. We all witnessed Frank Mir in the middle of his transformation when he surprised just about everyone in America with his UFC 107 obliteration of Cheick Kongo. At some point in 2010, it was rumored that Frank Mir put on even more muscle and was walking around at 290lbs.
After he stated that he wished Brock Lesnar would be the first person to die from octagon-related injuries, Frank Mir soon realized that the 'demons' haunting him should probably not let him get on the radio to wish death upon a person. I'm not sure what demons haunt Frank Mir, but whatever they are, they have to be better than the ones in that 'Paranormal Activity' movie. I watched it because the people in the commercial were jumping out of their seats in the movie theater. Paranormal Activity just made me realize people in commercials that jump out of their seats are idiots.
Nogueira wants bout with Lesnar or Mir next
MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani caught up with Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira at the UFC heavyweight's training center just days after his UFC 134 win over Brendan Schaub. "Big Nog" talked about his health during and after the fight, his performance in front of his home crowd, how he was upset by Schab's pre-fight comments, who he wants to fight next, when he would like to retire and more.