Mirko Cro Cop vs. Brendan Schaub in the Works for UFC 128
Mirko ‘CroCop’ Filipovic and Brendan Schaub are set to meet on March 19th and will air on the evening’s PPV main card, Fighters Only can exclusively reveal.
Verbal agreements are in place and paperwork is expected to be finalized soon. It had been reported that Schaub was to face Frank Mir, then Stefan Struve, but neither of those matches were contracted and have now been scrapped.
Edson Barboza vs. Anthony Njokuani targeted for UFC 128 in March
Undefeated Brazilian prospect Edson Barboza (7-0 MMA, 1-0 UFC) will welcome former WEC contender Anthony Njokuani (13-4 MMA, 4-3 WEC) to the UFC.
MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has learned from sources close to the promotion that the two lightweights have verbally agreed to meet at UFC 128, and bout agreements are expected to be finalized shortly.
The bout's placement on the card has yet to be determined.
Featuring a light heavyweight title fight between current champion Mauricio "Shogun" Rua and former title holder Rashad Evans, "UFC 128: Shogun vs. Evans" takes place March 19 at the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J.
Ion Television lands UFC 125 prelims; Dana White promises three fights
The Ultimate Fighting Championship has a new home on cable television – at least for one night.
MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has learned that Ion Television has secured the rights to broadcast preliminary bouts from the forthcoming "UFC 125: Resolution" event.
And while UFC fans are now used to a pair of octagon clashes during most "UFC Prelims" broadcasts, UFC president Dana White told MMAjunkie.com he's upping the ante for New Year's Day.
"The prelims we do air, there's only supposed to be two," White said. "Time-wise, it's impossible to pull off three if they all go to the distance. I'm going to roll the dice on this thing.
"Not only are we going to bring the prelims to the fans, but everybody has been hammering me for the Phil Baroni-Brad Tavares fight, so I'm going to do three fights. I'm going to give them that fight, too."
Dave Meltzer: 'Brock Lesnar is looking for a way out of the UFC'
According to Dave Meltzer of Yahoo! Sports/Wrestling Observer, Brock is currently looking for an "exit strategy" from the UFC.
Meltzer said on his radio show that the fight with Velasquez has changed Brock's attitude on fighting and he is at the stage in his life where he doesn't want to get injured. He's very well off financially and the business man in him apparently knows that it may be time to move on.
Meltzer also mentioned that Brock hasn't trained a single day since the Velasquez fight nor he has returned any phone calls to Dana or Zuffa about upcoming matches.
Wanderlei Silva Has Vitor Belfort Stuck In His Throat
Specifically his loss to the next challenger for Anderson Silva's UFC Middleweight Title. "The war has started. I’ll catch you, understand bro? I’ll catch him because our first fight did not prove anything really; it was a technical error and also a lucky moment. He knocked me out quickly. That loss is stuck in my throat and I will turn it over. I am a different fighter now and this time the one who is going to do the knocking out is me. I’ll beat him badly. I’m already preparing myself for this bout. I’m acting on his mindset. Everybody knows he is strong but is psychologically weak. Everybody knows he goes to bits before going in to fight, so I’m damaging his mind already." Said loss was at UFC 17.5, when Belfort KO'd SIlva in just 44 seconds.
Report: Schaub To Face Struve, Not Mir, At UFC On Versus 3
Brendan Schaub wanted to fight a former UFC champion after giving Gabriel Gonzaga his heavyweight pink slip back in October. Wish granted...almost. The incomparable "Showdown" Joe Ferraro is reporting that a previously rumored contest between "The Hybrid" and former division kingpin Frank Mir has been scrapped in favor of Schaub vs. Stefan Struve. The fight is expected to be part of UFC On Versus 3 on March 3.
No UFC Prelims On Spike Or Online For UFC 125
Despite a star-studded preliminary card and some intriguing matchups, Saturday's UFC 125 event appears it'll air solely on pay-per-view. There are no plans for a UFC Prelims special on Spike prior to the PPV and no plans for online streaming either. Barring a last-minute change, some solid preliminary-card fights won't get guaranteed air time. They include Marcus Davis vs. Jeremy Stephens, Josh Grispi vs. Dustin Poirier, and Mike Brown vs. Diego Nunes. Additionally, a Twitter campaign designed to get a welterweight bout between Phil Baroni and Brad Tavares on TV apparently will come up short. UFC & Spike reportedly are still working on a contract extension to bring back the UFC Prelims specials for 2011.
Dan Hardy vs. Anthony Johnson in the Works for March UFC Event
Welterweights Dan Hardy and Anthony Johnson have verbally agreed to square off in March, MMA Fighting has learned from sources close to the fight.
The front-runner event to host the bout is Ultimate Fight Night 24 on March 30. Although not officially announced by the organization, that card is expected to take place in Seattle, Wash. The UFC is also expected to hold events on March 3 and March 19.
UFC 125: Brian Stann Credit’s Jackon’s MMA With Evolution
Former WEC light heavyweight champion Brian Stann made the move to the Ultimate Fighting Championship after World Extreme Cagefighting shuttered its light heavyweight and middleweight divisions in late 2008. Shortly thereafter, he made another move… to Greg Jackson’s camp in Albuquerque, N.M.
Several fights later, he calls himself “a staple” of the camp, and hasn’t looked back.
“Each camp I do here in Albuquerque just keeps getting better and better with some of the best fighters in the world,” Stann told MMAWeekly Radio.
Ricardo Almeida vs. Mike Pyle Targeted for UFC 128
A welterweight bout between local favorite Ricardo Almeida and Mike Pyle is slated for UFC 128 in Newark, NJ, MMA Fighting learned through sources close to the fight.
UFC 128 is expected to take place March 19 at the Prudential Center, headlined by Mauricio "Shogun" Rua vs. Rashad Evans for the UFC light heavyweight title.
Thiago Alves vs Rick Story possible for UFC event in May of 2011
Sometimes in life, you get exactly what you ask for.
Rick Story called out Thiago Alves and the UFC has apparently obliged him, as the two are reportedly set to square off at the annual Memorial Day weekend event to go down in May of 2011, according to MMAWeekly.com.
Alves is working his way back up the ranks after dropping back-to-back fights to Welterweight Champion Georges St. Pierre and perennial contender Jon Fitch.
Quatro Campeões: Junior dos Santos is taking the heavyweight title back to Brazil
We know heavyweight number one contender Junior dos Santos is a knockout artist but according to the Brazilian bomber, he also has it in his head that he can take down wrestling standout and current UFC Heavyweight Champion Cain Velasquez.
No date has been announced for their fight but in the same interview "JDS" states that he was told by company President Dana White that if he were to win the title, his first defense of the strap could very well come at UFC: "Rio" when the organization makes their long awaited return to his homeland.
Video in article as well
Riki Fukuda vs. Nick Ring official for "UFC 127: Penn vs. Fitch" prelims
DEEP middleweight champion Riki Fukuda (17-4 MMA, 0-0 UFC) and "The Ultimate Fighter 11" contestant Nick Ring (10-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) will do battle in Australia.
UFC brass today announced that the two first-timers will make their octagon debut at "UFC 127: Penn vs. Fitch."
The bout, which takes place on the evening's preliminary card, was previously reported by MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).
UFC 125's Mike Brown ready to prove himself in second octagon journey
When former WEC champion Mike Brown (24-6 MMA, 0-1 UFC) steps into the octagon to face Diego Nunes (15-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) at UFC 125, it won't be the first time he's fought inside the UFC's trademark cage.
Of course, the first time didn't go exactly as planned.
"I was like a deer in the headlights," Brown recently told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "I had a chance; I still swung hard and did my best, but I wasn't thinking out there like I should be."
Story Calls Out Thiago Alves
After outpointing Johny Hendricks on Dec. 4 for his fifth straight win in the UFC, Rick Story knows whom he wants to fight next.
“I want to fight Thiago [Alves],” Story said recently during a “Savage Dog Show” interview on the Sherdog Radio Network.
Alves, ranked No. 3 in the world, would be a significant step up in competition. That’s one reason why Story wants a piece of “The Pitbull.”
“I know that somebody like Thiago Alves, beating him, it would make people realize, ‘This guy is for real,’” Story said. “I just want everybody to know that I am for real and I’m not going to stop until I get that number one spot.”
The 26-year-old Story had a strong year in 2010. He went 4-0, including a stoppage of Dustin Hazelett. Against Hendricks he outwrestled a former NCAA champion and showed a more advanced MMA game.
Relentless Guida is all action
If you’ve seen Clay Guida fight even once, then it will not surprise you to learn of the type of a football player he was as a child.
Guida grew up in the Chicago area and, like many boys his age, played youth football. Guida, though, wasn’t your typical defensive player.
“You know, I just loved to run around on the field,” Guida said. “I used to just love to run and go and tackle the guy with the ball.”
Good article/interview with Clay Guida
WEC-to-UFC move no issue for quick learner Dustin Poirier
Dustin Poirier still remembers the telephone conversation he had with the Louisiana gym owner who regularly hosted mixed martial artists for training.
Poirier was then a 17-year-old from Lafayette, La., who had moved out on his own to get away from the cycle of living with one parent, getting in trouble, then moving in with the other. He was taking on more responsibility in life, and he was getting out of the rhythm of spending time with a rougher crowd.
A longtime athlete, Poirier had moved from sport to sport but had left high school early. He still wanted competition, so he went looking for it.
A good article, with interview, about UFC Featherweight prospect Dustin Poirier.
UFC Cuts Pat Audinwood
He may have a great nickname, but Pat “Awesomely Awesome” Audinwood did not live up to it in his two fights in the UFC, and he has been released by the promotion. Prior to entering the UFC, Audinwood was 9-0-1 with four submission wins to his credit. Unfortunately during his brief run with the UFC, he went 0-2 with losses to Thiago Tavares and John Makdessi. He's the second cut by UFC this week along with Dustin Hazelett and more could be coming.