Rubber Match Not Likely in Bonnar-Soszynski Rivalry Anytime Soon
Stephan Bonnar's spent much of the last three years in search of a win, and much of the last year focusing on one man: Krzysztof Soszynski.
After splitting two fights with Soszynski in the last five months, though, it appears that a rubber match to their series is not likely to happen in the near future, according to UFC president Dana White.
UFC 116's "UFC Prelims" broadcast peaks with 1.5 million viewers; weigh-ins draw 645K
After earning an impressive 1.6 million viewers for its UFC 114 broadcast, Spike TV's "UFC Prelims" broadcast for this past weekend's UFC 116 event dipped slightly for an average of 1.3 million viewers, MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) today confirmed with an industry source.
The three-fight July 3 broadcast, which featured Brendan Schuab vs. Chris Tuchscherer and Ricardo Romero vs. Seth Petruzelli, as well as a bonus fight of Gerald Harris vs. David Branch did peak with 1.5 million viewers in the final quarter hour.
Additionally, the July 2 broadcast of the UFC 116 weigh-in ceremonies, the first-ever such broadcast for Spike TV, drew 645,000 viewers.
Brock Lesnar vs. Cain Velasquez Won't Happen at UFC 119
UFC 119, the organization's first event in Indianapolis, IN, is still without a main event, and considering Brock Lesnar walked away from Saturday night's title defense relatively healthy, many were pushing the idea that his next title defense against Cain Velasquez, could occur as soon as September.
However, UFC president Dana White squashed those rumors Tuesday.
UFC 116 Medical Suspensions
The NSAC has posted the official UFC 116 results on its website, which also reveal the medical suspensions coming out of the event. Of note with regards to a potential UFC Heavyweight Title fight as soon as September is that Brock Lesnar is suspended due to cuts, but for only 45 days with no contact for 30 days.
UFC's Lyoto Machida primed for return; camp calls for interim shot with Rashad Evans
Former UFC light heavyweight champion Lyoto Machida (16-1 MMA, 8-1 UFC) has fully recovered from a knockout loss to Mauricio "Shogun" Rua in May, and "The Dragon" is primed for a return to action.
And if you think Machida is looking for some kind of warm-up fight to get the taste of his first professional loss out of his mouth, think again.
Instead, with Rua sidelined until the spring, Machida and his camp would like a shot at an interim title against Rashad Evans with the winner eventually taking on "Shogun."
TJ Grant vs. Julio Paulino In The Works For UFC 119
Following withdrawing from UFC 116 due to a back injury, Julio Paulino now appears set to return to action at UFC 119, where he likely will face TJ Grant. Verabl agreements are in place, paperwork pending. The fight will likely be a prelim but that hasn't been determined yet.
Nate Diaz Signs New 4 Fight Deal With UFC
TUF 5 winner Nate Diaz is expected to finalize a new deal with UFC today. Diaz' manager, Cesar Gracie, says it's a 4-fight deal. Additionally, Diaz is signed to face Marcus Davis on the first televised bout of Aug. 28's UFC 118 in Boston.
UFC 116 Official Fighter Payouts
The NSAC has revealed the official fighter payouts from Saturday's UFC 116 event. The total discloused payouts were $923,000 with the biggest share-as expected, $400,000-going to Brock Lesnar.
Leben will stay busy, but not against Wanderlei
In what would be guaranteed dynamite, Leben vs. Silva would seem like a lock, but UFC president Dana White had to let the air out of the balloon at the post-fight press conference saying that Silva will be out for several months.
"We talked about that, the problem is Wanderlei's having knee surgery. He's going to be out for a while," said White.
Leben will undoubtedly take some much needed time off now after two fights in two weeks, but White hopes to keep the former Team Quest fighter busy, because that's the best way to guarantee his performance.
Cro Cop Could Not Refuse A Nogueira Rematch
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira recently stated his desire to face either Frank Mir or Mirko Cro Cop in his next fight, and if it's the latter then it's a match Cro Cop wouldn't turn down. “I am still thinking about what to do and right now I need some rest. I will talk with Lorenzo and we will see. I just need motivation right now… Since 2003, its inside of me to have a rematch with Nogueira, definitely. He is one of the true legends, a pioneer of the sport, former Pride champion and former UFC champion as well. It would be a very interesting rematch for me.” "Minotauro" & Cro Cop first fought at PRIDE Final Conflict 2003, with Nogueira winning by 2nd round submission.
Hardy Says Condit Likely Next, Welcomes Fight With Kos Or Kampmann
Coming off his most recent loss in his first title shot, Dan Hardy is next expected to be in action at UFC 120 in London. He can't say who he's fighting yet, but he adds speculation is Carlos Condit but Martin Kampmann is a possibility and Hardy is also looking towards a Josh Koscheck fight down the road. Hardy also thinks that if he does fight and beat Condit next, then he's 2 more wins from another title shot.
Couture Camp: Toney Fight Is Not Catchweight
Randy Couture and James Toney seem to be on different scales when it comes to their fight. Literally. This past Saturday Toney said his fight with Couture at UFC 118 is a catchweight fight, believed to be 215. But Couture's representatives said that they've heard no such thing, and the UFC Hall of Famer is expecting to fight at heavyweight. Sam Spira, Couture's lawyer, stressed that the bout is signed as a heavyweight fight. "The Toney camp couldn't agree to a catchweight, and there's been no discussion about it thereafter," Spira said. "I suggest James Toney stop playing with dolls and focus on the fight." Spira, of course, is referring to Toney's recent antics at UFC 116, where he showed up to a media luncheon with a Couture figurine adorned in a Barbie-like dress. UFC officials could not immediately be reached for comment.
Rich Franklin Autographing UFC 115 Cast For Breast Cancer Research
Want a unique piece of mixed-martial-arts memorabilia? Rich Franklin's Keep it in the Ring Foundation is raffling off the arm cast that the fighter currently is wearing after suffering a broken arm in a UFC 115 main-event win over Chuck Liddell. The cast will be autographed by both Franklin and Liddell, and proceeds benefit Susan G. Komen for the Cure, a charity that supports breast-cancer research. Raffle tickets are $5 each and available at www.americanfighter.com. Franklin currently is wearing the pink cast, which was applied after he broke his arm in the first round of the June fight. Despite the broken bone, Franklin knocked out Liddell in the same round to earn the victory. The former champ meets with doctors this week to determine if surgery will be required on the arm. Once the cast is removed, Franklin will sign it. Liddell already signed it while both fighters were in attendance at The Ultimate Fighter 11 Finale in June. (Those two signatures will be the only ones on the cast.) In addition to the cast, seven other raffle participants will win prizes. They includes autographed mouthpieces, T-shirts and photos. Winners will be announced in September.
Spencer Fisher signs four-fight deal, meets newcomer Kurt Warburton at UFC 120
Veteran Spencer Fisher (23-6 MMA, 8-5 UFC) has signed a new four-fight deal with the UFC and now meets lightweight newcomer Kurt Warburton (6-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) at October's UFC 120 event.
A source close to Fisher today alerted MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) of the new contract.
The source also said that verbal agreements are in place for the UFC 120 contest but that bout agreements have not been distributed.
"TUF 10" and UFC veteran Mike Wessel arrested for "terroristic threats"
Shortly after he arrived, officer Stout witnessed Wessel charge a crowd in front of the pub. He restrained the fighter and took him to the Craighead Country Detention Center.
Wessel became irate during the car ride to the detention center and began making threats when its jailers attempted to restrain him, according to an arrest report.
"Several jailers and a deputy arrived and placed [Wessel] into the restraint chair," McClard read from Stout's police report. "He began making death threats toward me and my family, and said that he was going to kill me and my kids."
Quieroz vs. Broughton In The Works For UFC 120
Bruce Buffer may soon be introducing a fighter in UFC with the most syllables in his name since Dokonjonosuke Mishima-that fighter is Vinicius Kappke de Quieroz, who appears set to make his UFC debut against fellow Heavyweight Rob Broughton at UFC 120 in a fight of debuting fighters. The Chute Boxe team initially announced Kappke de Quieroz's UFC contract over the weekend. Kappke de Quieroz, a 6-foot-7 heavyweight who fights at approximately 225 pounds, enters UFC 120 with a four-fight win streak. All of the victories came via first-round knockout in his native Brazil. Most recently, Broughton won England's ZT Fight Night eight-man heavyweight tournament by defeating three opponents, including notables Neil Wain and James Thompson, in one night. He is one of a handful of fighters from the Wolfslair camp who signed with UFC earlier this year.
Health Permitting, Brock vs. Cain Could Headline UFC 119
UFC 119 could have a major championship headliner. Following his UFC 116 title-unification victory over interim champion Shane Carwin, undisputed heavyweight champ Brock Lesnar now could meet top contender Cain Velasquez in the main event of September's UFC 119 event. Prior to Saturday's event at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Lesnar and Carwin both were told by UFC officials that the winner-health permitting-tentatively would meet Velasquez at UFC 119. Although not officially announced by the organization, UFC 119 takes place Sept. 25 at Conseco Fieldhouse in Indianapolis. Lesnar's team and UFC officials are expected to discuss the possibility of the UFC 119 slot this week.
Carwin felt Brock go out a few times
"I felt Brock go out a few times," he today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) via text message. "But it is the ref's job to call the fight, and mine is to finish the fight."
Carwin, of course, came oh-so close to doing just that. According to CompuStrike.com, he landed 57 first-round blows, 47 of which were ground shots that came after he dazed Lesnar with an early uppercut. As blood poured from his face and Lesnar struggled to defend and improve his position, Rosenthal nearly halted the fight on more than one occasion.
Carwin Hospitalized After 116 As Precaution
UFC 116 main event loser Shane Carwin has been hospitalized following his fight last night, but it appears to be only for precautionary reasons and Dana White doesn't believe it's anything serious. "He went back there, and I think he was more fatigued and upset, was hyperventilating and they were going to take him to the hospital," said White following the show. "I don't think there's anything seriously wrong with him." "I am fine just getting checked out at the hospital," said Carwin. "I'll be back."