Famed Former Chute Boxe Coach Rafael Cordeiro Back with Wanderlei Silva
Master Rafael Cordeiro once lead one of the strongest contingents of Brazilian fighters in the world under the Chute Boxe banner in Brazil. Now operating his gym Kings MMA in California, Cordeiro is reuniting with some of the fighters that he once lead at Chute Boxe.
Notably, he has been working with former Pride champion Wanderlei Silva, preparing him for his UFC 132 fight on Saturday night against Chris Leben.
Cordeiro lead a magical time for Silva, along with the Rua brothers, Mauricio Shogun and Murilo Ninja, and numerous other fighters when they ruled the roost at Pride in Japan. Perhaps some of that magic is back as Cordeiro had Silva training alongside Shogun once again, as well as Fabricio Werdum and many other top tier fighters.
UFC 132 Weigh Ins
Weigh-ins for UFC 132: Cruz vs. Faber 2 will take place at 7 p.m. ET live from the MGM Grand Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada. Bloody Elbow will have live results and video after the jump.
Dominick Cruz makes his first defense of his UFC bantamweight belt against former WEC featherweight champion Urijah Faber. In the co-main event, Wanderlei Silva makes his long awaited return to fight TUF vanguard Chris Leben.
Bantamweight: Dominick Cruz (134) vs. Urijah Faber (135)
Middleweight: Wanderlei Silva (186) vs. Chris Leben (185)
Light Heavyweight: Tito Ortiz (205) vs. Ryan Bader (205)
Welterweight: Carlos Condit (170) vs. Dong Hyun Kim (171)
Lightweight: Dennis Siver (156) vs. Matt Wiman (156)
Spike TV Prelims
Lightweight: Melvin Guillard (155) vs. Shane Roller (155)
Lightweight: George Sotiropoulos (156) vs. Rafael dos Anjos (155)
Bantamweight: Brian Bowles (135) vs. Takeya Mizugaki (136)
Middleweight: Brad Tavares (186) vs. Aaron Simpson (185)
Lightweight: Anthony Njokuani (156) vs. Andre Winner (155)
Bantamweight: Jeff Hougland (135) vs. Donny Walker (135)
UFC to host event in Japan "this year"
LAS VEGAS – The UFC could make its long-awaited return to Japan this year.
UFC president Dana White today said that plans are moving forward for for the organization to promote a show in the country, which hasn't hosted a UFC event since UFC 29 way back in 2000.
"The rumor is true," said White, who couldn't given any exact details on a date or host venue. "We're going to come to Japan, and probably soon."
Just how soon?
"This year," he said.
White and other officials have long teased the possibility of an upcoming show in Japan, where four pre-Zuffa LLC events took place in Tokyo (twice), Chiba and Yokohama more than a decade ago. Until the past few years, the UFC largely ignored the region.
However, in 2009, the UFC amped up its efforts in Asia, signed new TV and Internet deals in Japan, and began serious recruiting of Japanese talent.
Kenny Florian responds to the accusation that his 'Hellbows' could be illegal
Kenny Florian made his 145-pound debut at UFC 131: "Dos Santos vs. Carwin" back on June 11 at the Rogers Arena in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
Also making its debut in "Hollywood North" were his patented "Hellbows," the razor-sharp elbow strikes that left a trail of leaky skulls throughout the lightweight division, most notably against Sean Sherk at UFC 64 and Joe Lauzon at UFC Fight Night 13.
Diego Nunes joined that prestigious list in a unanimous decision loss to "KenFlo" earlier this month, enduring (among other things) a few shots to the dome courtesy of some Bostonian elbow grease.
If UFC Tells Tito Ortiz to Hang Up Gloves After UFC 132, He’ll Call it a Career
It was a dark day for former UFC light heavyweight champion Tito Ortiz when he walked into the UFC offices after his loss to Matt Hamill in October 2010.
Once known as the most dominant 205-pound fighter on the planet, Ortiz was in the midst of a three-fight losing streak, and was without a victory since 2006. While the numbers don’t lie, Ortiz kept every fight close and wasn’t finished in those three recent losses, but still hadn’t found the right formula to win.
Despite his record, however, Ortiz knew that he had fought his heart out and
Junior dos Santos Leaves Manager Ed Soares
UFC No. 1 heavyweight contender Junior dos Santos announced via Twitter that he is leaving manager Ed Soares.
Dos Santos tweeted: “I am officially under new representation! All sponsorship or press requests, please contact @GuedesGroup she’ll get you to me. Thanks guys”
Soares is one of the most influential managers in the game, managing UFC champions Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo and former champions Lyoto Machida and Antonio Rodrigo Nogeuira.
The news comes just weeks after dos Santos defeated Shane Carwin at UFC 131 to earn a shot at UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez.
Soares is one of the best managers in the game today. But he has also come under much criticism.
UFC on Versus 4 Bout Between Charles Oliveira and Nik Lentz Ruled a No Contest
The Pennsylvania Athletic Commission has overturned Charles Oliveira's victory over Nik Lentz at UFC on Versus 4 and declared the fight a no contest. Oliveira landed a flagrantly illegal knee to Lentz' face while Lentz had one knee on the ground. Referee Chip Snider let the action continue despite the illegal blow and Oliveira quickly submitted the stunnded Lentz.
The UFC declared the bout the Fight of the Night and awarded each fighter a $50,000 bonus.
MMA Weekly got the statement from Greg Sirb, executive director of the PSAC:
"After review of the tape of this contest and after consultation with the referee the Pennsylvania State Athletic Commission has ruled that the results of this match will be changed to a no contest.
"This change is a direct result from an accidental kick to the head by Mr. Oliveira to a grounded Mr. Lentz."
Chael Sonnen Now Free to Apply for License
Chael Sonnen, the UFC middleweight who has been serving a suspension from the California State Athletic Commission since his loss to Anderson Silva in August of 2010, is now free to apply for a license to fight in California or any other state.
"He can be removed from the suspension list and he is able to re-apply to any agency or any commission," George Dodd, the Commission's executive officer, told MMAFighting.com on Wednesday. "In California he would have to appear before the Commission before the Commission would license."
Marquardt's coach didn't agree with TRT
In the case of Marquardt, Wittman knew his fighter was undergoing testosterone treatments. He didn't agree with it, he said, but he also didn't feel like it was his place to tell a veteran fighter how to conduct his career.
What's more, even though he felt like the testosterone use shouldn't have been allowed, technically -- at least if Marquardt could provide proof of his need for it and get his levels down to within a range acceptable by the commissions before each fight -- it was. Marquardt was attempting to follow the rules laid out by the commissions, Wittman said. That's why, in Marquardt's mind, it wasn't cheating at all.
"Nate Marquardt is a guy who's never been untruthful with me. Everything that he tells me, and everything he told me going into this fight and back before New Jersey, it's something that he truly believes in. He went and had his testosterone checked. And when I spoke to him about it, I could tell he really believes he'd done the right thing, because the doctors are telling him, 'Your levels are low. You need this. This is why you're tired. We'll give you this and you'll perform like you're young again.' Man, you start telling a guy that, he's going to believe you.
Denial of therapeutic use exemption may have contributed to Marquardt's UFC exit
More than a month before he fought Dan Miller at UFC 128, Nate Marquardt went to the New Jersey State Athletic Control Board and applied for a therapeutic use exemption to be allowed to continue prescribed testosterone as recommended by his personal doctor.
Marquardt received approval from the commission overseeing the pay-per-view event, but only on the condition that he submit to a series of tests both before and after the fight that would ensure his hormone levels were within a range accepted by the commission's rules. After the fight, he was placed on an indefinite suspension to ensure he continued to meet the requirements.
When one of those tests came back beyond the commission's acceptable limits for the hormone, the NJSACB denied Marquardt's application for an exemption. As it happened, the denial arrived the day before the weigh-ins for his next fight, a headlining bout opposite Rick Story at UFC on Versus 4.
"This exemption denial along with the test results were then immediately forwarded to the Pennsylvania Athletic Commission for their review and analysis," NJSACB legal counsel Nick Lembo today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).
Michael Bisping: Mayhem Is An Immature A**hole !
Well Addicts, it did not take long for Ultimate Fighter 14 coach Michael Bisping to vent his hate for opposite coach Jason "Mayhem" Miller. Both men are controversial in the crazy world of MMA. Between Michael Bisping spitting at the corner of Jorge Rivera and Mayhem Miller starting post fight brawls, there is not much that has not been said about the two fighters. It does appear Bisping is willing to try throw some new insults though, as he has tweeted the following:
UFC on Versus 4 ratings worse than Spike TV broadcast of 'Marquardt vs Palhares'
In the war to settle no score, the winner is ... Spike TV -- barely.
Currently embroiled in negotiations with UFC and at times acting as though the relationship is over, Spike TV counter programmed the UFC on Versus 4 event that aired this past Sunday night (June 26) at 9 p.m. ET.
A rebroadcast of UFC Fight Night 22 drew an average audience of 793,000 viewers while the "Kongo vs. Barry" event garnered 744,000 views for its live broadcast on the Versus channel, according to Sherdog.
Of course, UFC on Versus 4 was one of the most ravaged fight cards in recent memory, with injuries and various other circumstances clouding the show.
UFC on Versus 4 medical suspensions and injuries for 'Kongo vs Barry' on June 26
The Pennsylvania Athletic Commission (PAC) has released its list of medical suspensions for the UFC on Versus 4: "Kongo vs. Barry" event that took place on June 26, 2011, at the Consol Energy Center in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
With several of the bouts ending early (and violently), there were a handful of fighters who were flagged follow up visits with their doctors.
In fact, a handful is precisely the number of fighters sent on a mandatory vacation, as the PAC, the same commission Dana White referred to as the best in the country, only issued five suspensions.