Sheldon Westcott vs. Edgar Garcia moves to UFC 195 in January
With today’s new UFC Fight Night 80 fight booking, a bout originally scheduled for the December card instead will move to January.
A fight between “The Ultimate Fighter Nations: Canada vs. Australia” runner-up Sheldon Westcott (8-3-1 MMA, 0-2 UFC) and fellow welterweight Edgar Garcia (14-4 MMA, 0-3 UFC), which originally was scheduled for UFC Fight Night 80 on Dec. 10, instead has moved to UFC 195.
The latest UFC 195 lineup now includes:
Champ Robbie Lawler vs. Carlos Condit – for welterweight title
Drew Dober vs. Erik Koch
Edgar Garcia vs. Sheldon Westcott
Sage Northcutt vs. Cody Pfister joins UFC Fight Night 80 lineup
A lightweight bout between fast-rising prospect Sage Northcutt (6-0 MMA, 1-0 UFC) and Cody Pfister (12-4-1 MMA, 1-1 UFC) has been added to next month’s UFC Fight Night 80 lineup.
The latest UFC Fight Night 80 lineup now includes:
Joanne Calderwood vs. Paige VanZant
Sage Northcutt vs. Cody Pfister
Michael Chiesa vs. Jim Miller
Thiago “Marreta” Santos vs. Elias Theodorou
Kevin Casey vs. Antonio Carlos Junior
Omari Akhmedov vs. Lyman Good
John Howard vs. Tim Means
Santiago Ponzinibbio vs. Andreas Stahl
Michael Graves vs. Danny Roberts
Phillipe Nover vs. Zubaira Tukhugov
Kailin Curran vs. Emily Kagan
Johnny Eduardo vs. Aljamain Sterling
UFC heavyweight Soa Palelei retires from MMA
A popular UFC heavyweight is calling it quits.
Soa Palelei, who gained notoriety for his charisma and philanthropy over the last two years, announced his retirement from mixed martial arts Monday, according to a statement he released via Twitter. He was not cut by the UFC, his manager Audie Attar told MMA Fighting, despite reports.
(Courtesy of on Twitter)
17 additional fighters removed from the UFC
Last week, 6 fighters were told of their release from the UFC, in what is reportedly the beginning of a massive roster culling, with approximately 50 fighters expected to be cut. Today, more than a dozen more fighters saw their UFC tenures end. UFCFIGHTERSINFO's special script ran through the UFC's fighter database and confirmed the following names are gone from the roster.
(Courtesy of on Twitter)
Andre Pederneiras discusses what’s next for Renan Barao, Claudia Gadelha
Two of the top fighters from Nova Uniao are waiting for their next steps in the UFC.
A former bantamweight champion, Renan Barao has suffered another defeat to current titleholder T.J. Dillashaw, going 0-2 in his last championship fights. Featherweight champ Jose Aldo and UFC president Dana White already stated they want Barao at 145 pounds, and the fighter recently said that’s what he expects for his future.
Makwan Amirkhani: ‘I don’t like it when people run for their lives and drown on their way’
Let's not turn this into a political debate about refugees/immigration...just information and someone stating their opinions on something they have lived through.
When he was 5, Amirkhani and his family fled their native Kurdistan for Finland after the Iran-Iraq War. Now, the 26-year-old UFC featherweight is an advocate for other refugees, speaking on Finnish national TV about the plight of Syrians trying to cross into Europe.
Russian fighter to help UFC host Moscow event in 2017
Earlier this year, the UFC announced a television broadcast deal with VGTRK in Russia that was set to deliver promotional programming to over 50 million homes. Many fans and pundits assumed that it would only be a matter of time before the promotion tested the waters with a Fight Night event in one of Russia's major cities.
Chad Mendes: We're all still going to be buddies with T.J. Dillashaw
Apparently Chad Mendes doesn't feel exactly the same way as Team Alpha Male head Urijah Faber when it comes to the departure of UFC bantamweight champion T.J. Dillashaw. As you likely know by now, Dillashaw decided to migrate to a new team in Colorado to work more closely with former TAM head trainer Duane Ludwig. Faber and Ludwig aren't fans of each other, and now Dillashaw is persona non grata at Team Alpha Male due to his defection, according toTJ.
Northcutt opponnent fails drug test for UFC 192
UFC lightweight Francisco Trevino had a bad day at UFC 192. First he failed to make weight, coming in at 160 for a 156 lbs limit division; he did not look like he went through a long, hard cut. Then he lost via ferocious TKO in the first. Then he shoved referee Herb Dean after the loss.
Now the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation has announced that Trevino failed a recreational drug test, with a urine sample showing 85 ng/ml of marijuana metabolites. The TDLR’s limit is 50 ng/ml.
Nick Diaz White House Petition Hits 100,000 Signatures
A petition to the White House to lift the five-year ban on Nick Diaz has reached its goal of 100,000 signatures.
At the time of this writing, the petition has hit 111,868 signatures. The threshold of 100,000 is needed within thirty-days in order to merit a response from the White House; the petition hit the six-figure mark with two days to spare. Assistant White House Press Secretary Frank Benenati told MMAjunkie that “We do plan on responding within 60 days, per our new rule.”
Georges St-Pierre sounds off on Nick Diaz's five-year suspension
Georges St-Pierre was one of the loudest advocates for more stringent drug testing regimes in mixed martial arts during his latter years in the sport, but even he can see the lunacy in the five-year suspension the Nevada Athletic Commission handed down last month to his former rival, Nick Diaz.
"Personally, I think five years is too much," St-Pierre told Canadian outlet RDS. "Especially when you think about Anderson Silva and other guys who were doping and received a lighter suspension compared to [Diaz].