Matt Mitrione has 'very nice' Bellator offer, but 'unfinished business in UFC'
Matt Mitrione is at a career crossroads, but not a desperate one. Despite dropping his last two fights in the UFC (albeit the last one against Travis Browne ending on controversial terms), Mitrione is not begging for work or desperate for attention. In fact, he has a lot of options. The only question is which path he'll take, not so much which path is better.
"I'm in a good spot, man," Mitrione said on Monday's The MMA Hour.
According to Mitrione, who fought out his UFC contract to seek free agency, he's received an offer from Bellator. While specifics were not detailed, Mitrione was quick to note the deal Bellator offered is quite alright by him.
Felipe Olivieri flagged for potential USADA anti-doping violation
The UFC announced Friday that Felipe Oliveiri is under scrutiny for a potential anti-doping policy violation. The Brazilian, who lost to Tony Martin via submission in his promotional debut on Jan. 30, tested clean for prohibited substances on fight night, but an out-of-competition test came with a different result.
The UFC’s statement can be read below.
The UFC organization was notified today that the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) has informed Felipe Olivieri of a potential Anti-Doping Policy violation stemming from an out-of-competition sample collection. Although the sample collected from Olivieri following his bout at UFC Fight Night: Johnson vs. Bader on January 30, 2016, was reported as negative for prohibited substances, a sample collected from him in Brazil earlier that month, and analyzed at the WADA accredited laboratory in Rio de Janeiro, was recently reported to USADA as containing a prohibited substance.
USADA, the independent administrator of the UFC Anti-Doping Policy, will handle the results management and appropriate adjudication of this case involving Olivieri, as it relates to the UFC Anti-Doping Policy and future UFC participation. Because Olivieri participated in a bout sanctioned by the New Jersey State Athletic Control Board after the sample in question was collected, USADA will work to ensure that the Board has the necessary information to determine the appropriate course of action under the Board’s rules.
Dana White: UFC 196 did 1.5 million PPV buys
Despite a late replacement in the main event and two memorable upsets in the top two feature fights, UFC 196 appears to have broken all previous pay-per-view records.
According to the promotion's president Dana White, UFC 196 seemingly earned a 1.5 million PPV buy rate, which puts it ahead of UFC 100 and all over landmark events in the promotion's history.
"People have been telling me 'what are you going to do when Chuck Liddell retires?' then 'what are you going to do when GSP is gone?' There is always new great fighters coming down the pipeline," White told ESPN's Max & Marcellus. "In this sport, we put the best against the best, or sometimes we do crazy stuff like on Saturday night, where Conor McGregor says 'I want to fight Nate Diaz. I'll fight him at 170 [pounds].'
Dana White: Conor McGregor’s Going to ‘Fight on UFC 200’
Featherweight champion Conor McGregor was not medically suspended following his second-round loss to Nate Diaz at UFC 196 on March 5, and the Irishman is expected fight on the UFC 200 fight card on July 9.
Conor-McGregor-UFC-196-wo-01-750x370“He wants to fight again as soon as possible. He wants to jump back in there, and he wants to fight again. We’re working on who the next opponent will be,” UFC president Dana White said during a recent appearance on ESPN Radio.
During the UFC 196 post-fight press conference, McGregor said he’d likely defend his 145-pound title in his next fight. It would be his first title defense, and according to White, “The Notorious” will fight again at UFC 200.
Source: Holly Holm vs. Miesha Tate 2 in the works for UFC 200
Sources close to BJPENN.COM have confirmed that the UFC is looking to set up a rematch between Holly Holm and Miesha Tate for July’s UFC 200 event in Las Vegas, Nevada...
...However, our sources are saying that because Rousey will not be ready in time for the blockbuster event, the UFC is looking to set up the rematch between Holm vs. Tate.
Derrick Lewis vs. Gabriel Gonzaga in works for UFC Fight Night 86
“Big Country” is going to have to wait for now, as it seems “The Black Beast” is heading to Croatia first.
With Ruslan Magomedov recently forced out of a planned UFC Fight Night 86 appearance, UFC officials needed a replacement opponent for Gabriel Gonzaga (17-10 MMA, 12-9 UFC). MMAjunkie today confirmed with multiple people with knowledge of the negotiations that Derrick Lewis (14-4 MMA, 5-2 UFC) has verbally agreed to step in for Magomedov, and bout agreements are expected to be finalized shortly. Those people spoke on the condition of anonymity because they are not authorized to publicly discuss such matters.
An official announcement is expected shortly.
WSOF champ Justin Gaethje: I won't take a pay cut to go to the UFC
At 15-0, World Series of Fighting lightweight champion Justin Gaethje opens up about his serendipitous entry into MMA and about his upcoming title fight against tournament winner Brian Foster.
Eddie Mercado: You are the World Series of Fighting lightweight champion. Why MMA?
Justin Gaethje: I'm not sure. I started wrestling at 4 years old. It was never a dream of mine but I knew I always wanted to compete in something. When I was wrestling in college I took 7 amateur fights without ever being in a street fight, without sparring, without even training MMA. I won those and then decided to find a gym and turn pro and haven't lost yet. Now I'm making good money and I love it!
Tristar Gym partners with Reebok
Reebok has partenered with lauded Montreal, Quebec, training facility Tristar Gym, MMAFighting.com has learned.
Reebok's involvement in MMA exploded in December 2014, when the apparel company announced an exclusive sponsorship as the UFC's global outfitter. Since then, Reebok has partnered with Ireland's SBG Gym, home to UFC featherweight champ Conor McGregor, UFC welterweight Gunnar Nelson, and more.
This current partnership with Tristar Gym serves as the next step forward for the brand as it continues to expand its Reebok Combat Training division and to develop deeper ties within the sport of MMA.
Omari Akhmedov vs. Elizeu Zaleski added to UFC on FOX 19
Welterweights Omari Akhmedov and Elizeu Zaleski will both seek redemption on April 16, as they battle at UFC on FOX 19 in Tampa, the promotion announced Wednesday. Combate first reported the matchup.
Akhmedov (15-3) looks for his fourth win under the UFC banner after suffering a knockout loss to Sergio Moraes in December, snapping a two-fight winning streak. Akhmedov currently holds a 3-2 UFC mark.
Gegard Mousasi wants Anderson Silva fight, but not until UFC 199 or UFC 200
Gegard Mousasi and Anderson Silva fought on the same card 10 days ago, and it seems there are plenty of people who would love to see the veterans matched up for their next fights.
But if everyone gets what they want in the near term, it may be a fight that isn’t destined to happen right now.
Giovani Decker, general manager of the UFC’s Brazil office, has said the promotion would love to have Silva (33-7 MMA, 16-3 UFC) on the card for the UFC’s next show in the country, which takes place May 14 for UFC 198 in Curitiba.
Mousasi (38-6-2 MMA, 5-3 UFC) is interested in a fight against Silva. But if the terms are that it needs to take place in a little more than two months in Brazil, those who want to see the fight may have to wait.
Ruslan Magomedov out with injury against Gabriel Gonzaga at UFC Fight Night 86
One of heavyweight's only prospects is going to be stuck on the shelf for awhile. Ruslan Magomedov announced Wednesday that he has been forced to withdraw from his UFC Fight Night 86 contest against Gabriel Gonzaga after suffering an apparent knee injury.
Magomedov (14-1) posted a photo of an x-ray on Twitter and wrote that he "can barely walk" due to the injury. UFC officials have yet to announce Magomedov's withdrawal or a replacement opponent for Gonzaga.
RDA open to Robbie Lawler superfight at UFC 200
Perhaps the biggest loser from the madness of UFC 196, at least in a financial sense, is someone who didn't fight at all.
UFC lightweight champion Rafael dos Anjos lost his golden ticket to the Conor McGregor show when he dropped out with a broken foot less than two weeks before the event. And after seeing his replacement, Nate Diaz, shatter the illusion of the unbeatable Irishman, dos Anjos' takeaways are twofold: first, that his big payday is likely gone for good, and second, that he could've done far worse things to McGregor had he not gotten injured.
"I've been around the game for a long time, 12 years, and I never cancelled any fight due to injury," dos Anjos said Monday on The MMA Hour. "I always show up, but unfortunately for this fight, I broke my foot, man. A lot of people are making fun of it, and I don't like to make fun of people's injuries. I think we are fighters, so everybody is going to get injured one day. So, unfortunately I lost my payday, but I think everything is God's plan for my life. I believe in that.
Mainstream Media Errors: UFC Champ Paige VanZant? Nick or Nate Diaz?
When an event like UFC 196 happens, MMA fans get to cherish that our little niche sport gets to be the focus of the public eye for a weekend. With the good always comes the bad.
You have to listen to your friends who only watch the big PPV events give their uninformed but strong opinions on who's going to win. Even worse than that, you have to listen to mainstream sports shows discuss the sport in a less than educated manner.
Aldo: I watched porn instead of McGregor fight
UFC featherweight champion Conor McGregor beat former title holder Jose Aldo in 13 seconds at UFC 194. When McGregor fought lightweight Nick Diaz, at welterweight, Aldo says he was otherwise occupied with a Brazilian television channel called "Sexy Hot."
According to its website, "The Sexy Hot is a channel of tv adult Brazilian, marketed as subscription or pay-per-view in operators of pay TV. Is the first channel with adult content (erotic and sex explicit) of the Brazilian television. The programming is directed to public hardcore and straight."
Aldo appeared Sunday night on the Brazilian language television show Extra Ordinarios, and prior to the interview, told a Combate reporter that the night before, he was watching the porn channel instead of the title fight.
Conditioning coach: Nate Diaz was basically coming off couch for Conor McGregor
When Nate Diaz told UFC President Dana White he was in shape for a short-notice fight with Conor McGregor at UFC 196, he was mostly being truthful.
When he said he was training for a triathlon, that wasn’t technically a lie. Diaz is always active in some way or another.
Just three months ago, the UFC veteran had put in a solid training camp for a pivotal fight with Michael Johnson at UFC on FOX 17, and the benefits of his hard work were still present.
It just so happened that wasn’t the full story. An Instagram post today on Diaz’s official account told the more truthful one about his readiness for this past Saturday’s UFC 196.
According to a video posted by the now-victorious welterweight, he was shooting tequila on a yacht in Cabo San Lucas, “gettin my chillax on wit my dudes … before I got the call.”
Conor McGregor’s coach John Kavanagh says, if it were up to him, a rematch with Jose Aldo would be next
Even in defeat, Conor McGregor managed to come off as an asset to the sport following Saturday night’s main event against Nate Diaz.
McGregor said he would take the loss "on the chin," but that he would be back. He held his head high and answered every question directed at him. And in the end, he lived by his word of being "humble in victory or defeat."
Same goes for his coach at SBG Ireland, John Kavanagh, who was a guest on Monday’s edition of The MMA Hour. Kavanagh reiterated McGregor’s words about picking himself up and moving on. Yet when asked what the next move would be for the Irish firebrand — who is just a couple of years has become one the UFC’s most marketable stars — he said he wasn’t sure just yet.
Paige VanZant joins ‘Dancing with the Stars’ cast
Top strawweight Paige VanZant has her next challenge lined up, but it won’t be inside a UFC Octagon.
One of the top prospects in the UFC 115-pound division, VanZant has joined the cast of "Dancing with the Stars" for the 22nd season. A former dancer, VanZant was paired with two-time "Dancing with the Stars" winner Mark Ballas.
The TV show is set to debut on March 21. VanZant is the first active UFC fighter to be on the show. In previous editions, after they announced their retirements, Randy Couture and Chuck Liddell, competed on the "Dancing with the Stars".