Report: UFC cuts ex-Strikeforce champ Rafael Cavalcante, Daniel Sarafian
Six years ago, Rafael Cavalcante stopped "King Mo" Lawal to become Strikeforce's new light heavyweight champion. After losing his first defense to Dan Henderson, "Feijao" wrecked Yoel Romero with a flying knee for what still stands to date as the only loss of Romero's career. Now, after a failed drug test in Strikeforce, as well as a stretch of just 1 win in 5 fights, Feijao is apparently finished as a UFC fighter. Matheus Costa of Brazil's Olimpo MMA reported on Saturday night that the UFC has handed Feijao is walking papers.
Feijao's (12-7, 1 NC) UFC run was nothing short of disastrous. He faded badly in his debut against Thiago Silva and was knocked out at the end or the 1st round back in June 2013. The 35-year-old did pick up his only UFC win just a few months later, quickly forcing Igor Pokrajac to tap to strikes in just 78 seconds. Since then, it's been all downhill over the past 3 years, as Feijao was easily beaten by Ryan Bader in 2014, stopped with elbows by Patrick Cummins in 2015, and unable to capitalize on Ovince Saint Preux's ankle injury this past February. The OSP showing was glaringly poor, as Feijao had opportunities to pull off an upset win with his opponent hobbled, but he was decidedly tepid in rounds 2-3 and offered zilch off of his back en route to a decision loss.
Report: Jason Saggo vs. Leandro Silva booked for UFC Fight Night 89 in Ottawa
After returning earlier this month from a lengthy layoff, it appears Canada’s Jason Saggo won’t waste any time getting back to work.
Saggo (11-2 MMA, 2-1 UFC), according to a report from Combate, has been booked for a fight with Brazil’s Leandro Silva (19-3 MMA, 3-1 UFC) this summer in his home country. UFC officials have not yet made a formal announcement of the lightweight fight expected for UFC Fight Night 89.
The latest UFC Fight Night 89 card now includes:
Rory MacDonald vs. Stephen Thompson
Donald Cerrone vs. Patrick Cote
Jason Saggo vs. Leandro Silva
UFC's Marlon Vera opens GoFundMe page to help daughter with rare disorder
UFC bantamweight Marlon Vera (7-3-1 MMA, 1-2 UFC) is asking for public help to assist his daughter with a rare disorder that prevents her from smiling.
The 23-year-old Ecuadorian recently launched a GoFundMe page to help fund the surgery Vera’s daughter, Ana Paula, needs to treat the rare condition known as Moebius syndrome.
The current goal for the campaign is $50,000.
'Maestro' Dong Hyun Kim set for lightweight bout with Polo Reyes at UFC 199
The lineup for the UFC’s return to Southern California in early June continues to build with the addition of a new lightweight bout.
South Korea’s ”Maestro” Dong Hyun Kim (13-7-3 MMA, 0-1 UFC) – no, not “Stun Gun” – has been booked for a fight against Mexico’s Polo Reyes (5-2 MMA, 1-0 UFC) at UFC 199. UFC officials today announced the bout.
UFC 199 takes place June 4 at The Forum in Los Angeles and features a pair of title fights at the top of the card. Middleweight champ Luke Rockhold defends his title for the first time in a rematch with former champ Chris Weidman. And new bantamweight champ Dominick Cruz meets Urijah Faber in a long-awaited trilogy grudge match. UFC 199 has a main card on pay-per-view following prelims on FOX Sports 1 and UFC Fight Pass.
Frank Mir says referee made 'good stoppage' in Mark Hunt fight, not considering retirement
The first thing some people said after Mark Hunt knocked Frank Mir out was that it was an early stoppage. The second thing said by some onlookers was that Mir should probably retire.
Mir, the former UFC heavyweight champion, doesn't really agree with either one of those things.
Foremost, Mir thought referee Marc Goddard did a good job stopping the fight when he did at UFC Fight Night 85 last weekend in Brisbane, Australia, Mir said on his Phone Booth Fighting podcast this week. Hunt landed a big right hand to Mir's ear and Mir dropped to his back in the second round. He was not unconscious, but he didn't have his druthers, either.
Former UFC strawweight champ Carla Esparza 'ready to fight,' eyes UFC 199 return
Carla Esparza has mostly dropped off the radar since losing the UFC women’s strawweight title more than one year ago. Now “The Cookie Monster” wants to get back to work.
Esparza (10-3 MMA, 1-1 UFC) has been largely out of sight since she was dismantled by Joanna Jedrzejczyk (11-0 MMA, 5-0 UFC) to lose the UFC championship by second-round TKO at UFC 185 in March 2015.
Part of that layoff came by choice due to the fact Esparza had fought five times in less than a year between winning “The Ultimate Fighter 20,” capturing the inaugural 115-pound title and attempting to defend it. The remaining time, however, came as the result of injury.
UFC Planning to Renew ‘Fight for the Troops’ Series in 2016
For the first time in three years, the Ultimate Fighting Championship will host a “Fight for the Troops” event.
The news was revealed in a press release announcing the Las Vegas-based promotion’s renewed partnership with Harley-Davidson, an agreement that includes extensive military ties.
"As a core sponsor since 2007, Harley has played a vital role in the growth of our sport, as our audiences align perfectly with riding enthusiasts and fight fans,” UFC Executive Vice President of Global Marketing Partnerships Mike Mossholder said in a release. “Two pillar programs of our new partnership surround two passionate initiatives for both brands: A military program that provides benefits to both active and non-active military personnel, as well as first responders and Harley riders socializing at their local dealerships to watch UFC Pay-Per-View events.”
UFC Fight Night 85 medical suspensions: Frank Mir, Hector Lombard given potential 180-day suspensions
Frank Mir and Hector Lombard headlined a list of seven fighters to be given extended medical suspensions in the aftermath of the recent UFC Fight Night 85 event in Brisbane, Australia. The UFC, acting as its own sanctioning body for the international event, released its list of medical suspensions Thursday to MixedMartialArts.com, the official record keeper of the Association of Boxing Commissions (ABC).
The complete list of UFC Fight Night 85's medical suspensions can be seen below.
Frank Mir: 180 days or cleared with head and neck CT scan; 45 days no fight, 30 days no contact
Hector Lombard: 180 days or cleared with head CT scan; 45 days no fight, 30 days no contact
Antonio Carlos Junior: 180 days or cleared by ENT specialist; 60 days no fight, 45 days no contact
James Te Huna: 180 days or clearance with head CT scan; 60 days no fight, 45 days no contact
Alan Jouban: 180 days or clearance with left elbow MRI
Richard Walsh: 180 days or cleared with negative right forearm x-ray
Chad Laprise: 180 days or cleared with negative right hand x-ray
Johnny Case: 45 days no fight, 30 days no contact
Neil Magny: 30 days no fight, 21 days no contact
Brendan O'Reilly: 30 days no fight, 21 days no contact
Rin Nakai: 30 days no fight, 21 days no contact
Ross Pearson: 30 days no fight, 21 days no contact
Mark Hunt: 7 days mandatory rest
Jake Matthews: 7 days mandatory rest
Daniel Kelly: 7 days mandatory rest
Steve Bosse: 7 days mandatory rest
Bec Rawlings: 7 days mandatory rest
Seohee Ham: 7 days mandatory rest
Daniel Hooker: 7 days mandatory rest
Mark Eddiva: 7 days mandatory rest
Leslie Smith: 7 days mandatory rest
Viscardi Andrade: 7 days mandatory rest
Alan Patrick: 7 days mandatory rest
Damien Brown: 7 days mandatory rest
Newcomer Luiz Henrique da Silva meets Jonathan Wilson at UFC 199
Undefeated Brazilian newcomer Luiz Henrique da Silva will make his octagon debut this summer, as he meets Jonathan Wilson.
UFC officials today announced the bout for UFC 199, which takes place June 4 at The Forum in Los Angeles and features a pair of championship matchups.
With the addition to the card, UFC 199 now includes:
Champ Luke Rockhold vs. Chris Weidman – for middleweight title
Champ Dominick Cruz vs. Urijah Faber – for bantamweight championship
Bobby Green vs. Dustin Poirier
Evan Dunham vs. Leonardo Santos
Kevin Casey vs. Elvis Mutapcic
Luis Henrique vs. Jonathan Wilson
Countdown to Korean Zombie's UFC return begins now!
Once upon a time, a very long time ago, there was a land called the WEC. And in this land lived a man. But he was not just an ordinary man. No, far from it. He was a man of action. His name was Chan Sung Jung.
Of course, Chan Sung Jung made it to the UFC as well, fighting four times for the larger Zuffa platform and making his way all the way to a title fight against former divisional kingpin Jose Aldo. Chan Sung lost to Aldo, dislocating his shoulder in the process. He hasn't returned to the cage since.
Jessica Eye vs. Sara McMann set for UFC Fight Night 88 on May 29
UFC Fight Night 88 got a big addition tonight with the announcement that top 10 bantamweights Jessica Eye and Sara McMann will face off in the octagon.
The bout was announced on FOX Sports 1’s “UFC Tonight.”
UFC Fight Night 88 takes place May 29, a Sunday, at Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas. The card airs FOX Sports 1 and streams on UFC Fight Pass.
With the addition, UFC Fight Night 88 includes:
Thomas Almeida vs. Cody Garbrandt
Renan Barao vs. Jeremy Stephens
Tarec Saffiedine vs. Rick Story
Chris Camozzi vs. Vitor Miranda
Lorenz Larkin vs. Jorge Masvidal
Josh Burkman vs. Paul Felder
Diego Ferreira vs. Abel Trujillo
Erik Koch vs. Joe Proctor
Keith Berish vs. Jake Collier
Adam Milstead vs. Chris DeLaRocha
Jessica Eye vs. Sara McMann
Jason High vs. Mike Ricci targeted for co-main event at June's WSOF 31
A lightweight matchup between top contenders Jason High and Mike Ricci is expected to take place at June’s WSOF 31 event.
MMAjunkie today confirmed the planned booking with a person with knowledge of the negotiations. That person spoke on the condition of anonymity because they promotion has not officially confirmed the contest.
WSOF officials declined to comment when contacted by MMAjunkie.
Rob Font vs. John Lineker added to UFC 198 in Brazil
The lineup for May’s UFC 198 event in Brazil continues to grow, and a bantamweight matchup between Rob Font and John Lineker is the latest addition to the card.
UFC officials today announced the matchup.
With the addition to the card, UFC 198 now includes:
Champ Fabricio Werdum vs. Stipe Miocic – for heavyweight title
Vitor Belfort vs. Ronaldo Souza
Corey Anderson vs. Mauricio Rua
Matt Brown vs. Demian Maia
Uriah Hall vs. Anderson Silva
Patrick Cummins vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira
Warlley Alves vs. Bryan Barberena
Yancy Medeiros vs. Francisco Trinaldo
Nate Marquardt vs. Thiago “Marreta” Santos
Sergio Moraes vs. Kamaru Usman
Renato Moicano vs. Zubaira Tukhugov
Rob Font vs. John Lineker
'UFC on FOX 19: Nurmagomedov vs. Ferguson' lineup set with 8 bouts on FOX
The lineup for next month’s UFC on FOX 19 event is now official, and eight bouts will be part of the night’s network broadcast.
The event takes place April 16 at Amalie Arena in Tampa, Fla. The event airs on FOX following five early prelims on MMAjunkie.
The latest UFC on FOX 19 card includes:
MAIN CARD (FOX, 8 p.m. ET)
Tony Ferguson vs. Khabib Nurmagomedov
Rashad Evans vs. Glover Teixeira
Dan Henderson vs. Lyoto Machida
Rose Namajunas vs. Tecia Torres
PRELIMINARY CARD (FOX, 6 p.m. ET)
Michael Chiesa vs. Beneil Dariush
Hacran Dias vs. Cub Swanson
John Dodson vs. Manny Gamburyan
Bethe Correia vs. Raquel Pennington
PRELIMINARY CARD (UFC Fight Pass, 4 p.m. ET)
Court McGee vs. Santiago Ponzinibbio
Randy Brown vs. Michael Graves
Cezar Ferreira vs. Caio Magalhaes
Drew Dober vs. Islam Makhachev
Omari Akhmedov vs. Elizeu Zaleski dos Santos
Russian heavyweight Konstantin Erokhin suspended 12 months for anabolic steroid use
Two-time UFC veteran Konstantin Erokhin has been suspended 12 months and fined $3,300 after testing positive for drostanolone and/or drostanolone metabolites.
Nevada State Athletic Commission officials today issued the suspension and fine at the commission’s monthly meeting in Las Vegas. Drostanolone is an anabolic steroid.
Erokhin’s failed test stemmed from a pre-fight urinalysis at this past December’s The Ultimate Fighter 22 Finale event, which took place on Dec. 11 at The Chelsea at The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas. On that card, Erokhin lost a lackluster decision to Gabriel Gonzaga. Because Erokhin lost the bout, the result of the contest will stand.
UFC Fight Night 86 lineup set with 10:30 a.m. ET start time, 10 bouts on FOX Sports 1
The 13-bout lineup is official for next month’s UFC Fight Night 86 event in Croatia.
The event takes place April 10 at Zagreb Arena in Zagreb, and it marks the UFC’s debut in Croatia.
The event kicks off at 10:30 a.m. ET (7:30 a.m. PT) with three preliminary-card bouts on UFC Fight Pass. The rest of the prelims and the main card then shift to FOX Sports 1 at noon ET.
The full UFC Fight Night 86 lineup includes:
MAIN CARD (FOX Sports 1, 2 p.m. ET)
Ben Rothwell vs. Junior Dos Santos
Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Derrick Lewis
Curtis Blaydes vs. Francis Ngannou
Timothy Johnson vs. Marcin Tybura
Jan Blachowicz vs. Igor Pokrajac
Maryna Moroz vs. Cristina Stanciu
PRELIMINARY CARD (FOX Sports 1, noon ET)
Zak Cummings vs. Nicolas Dalby
Damir Hadzovic vs. Mairbek Taisumov
Ian Entwistle vs. Alejandro Perez
Filip Pejic vs. Damian Stasiak
PRELIMINARY CARD (UFC Fight Pass, 10:30 a.m. ET)
Lucas Martins vs. Robert Whiteford
Cyril Asker vs. Jared Cannonier
Alessio Di Chirico vs. Bojan Velickovic