Anderson Silva's win over Nick Diaz switched to a No Contest
Things have gone from bad to worse for Anderson Silva, after an impressive win against Nick Diaz at UFC 183 the UFC announced that the former long term champion had tested positive for two performance enhancing drugs in his Jan 9th pre-fight drug test. While Silva adamantly denies any wrong doing NAC executive director Bob Bennett has decided to overturn Silva's victory. In light of the failed drugs test the bout result will now be changed to a No Contest which could have massive financial repercussions for Silva.
Zahabi: GSP Ready to Resume Sparring
Firas Zahabi, longtime head trainer to former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre, still does not know whether the Canadian will ever fight again.
If St-Pierre does return, however, Zahabi will have no reservations regarding his two surgically repaired knees.
Nearly one year after suffering the second ACL tear of his career, St-Pierre (25-2) is training every day, according to Zahabi. Earlier this month, St-Pierre posted a video to social media that shows him somersaulting into a forward flip in a gymnastics facility. He sticks the landing, in case you're wondering.
The 33-year-old Canadian tore his left ACL in March, three months after he vacated the 170-pound title to take an indefinite leave of absence. In 2011, he tore his right ACL but made a successful return with three title defenses.
Anderson Silva breaks silence on testing positive for steroids
“I’ve been competing in this sport for a very long time. This is my nineteenth fight in the UFC. I have been thoroughly tested many times and have never had a positive drug test,” said Silva.
“I have not taken any performance enhancing drugs. My stance on drugs is, and will always be, the same. I’m an advocate for a clean sport,” he continued.
“I’m consulting with my advisors right now to explore all of my options and intend to fight this allegation and clear my name. I will not make any further comments until my team advises me to do so.”
Silva has the option of requesting the B sample from his drug test be processed, which could put the initial A sample result in question or it could verify it. Nevada Athletic Commission executive director Bob Bennett told MMWeekly.com on Wednesday afternoon that Silva’s camp had not yet made such a request.
Demian Maia vs. Ryan LaFlare set to headline UFC Fight Night 62 in Brazil
Urijah Faber won’t be competing in Brazil anymore on March 21.
Faber was pulled from the UFC Fight Night 62 main event since Raphael Assuncao didn’t recover from an ankle injury and the promotion couldn’t find a replacement.
Demian Maia and Ryan LaFalre, originally set to battle in the co-main event, will now headlined the card. MMAFighting.com confirmed the news with sources close to the situation.