FX, not FUEL TV, to air UFC on FOX 5 prelims
Next month's UFC on FOX 5 prelims will air on FX and Facebook, not FUEL TV.
Prior to this year's three UFC on FOX telecasts, the main prelims have aired on FUEL TV, however, the promotion and network have decided to move them to FX this time around. UFC president Dana White confirmed the switch with MMAFighting.com on Tuesday.
FX will air six fights prior to the Dec. 8 UFC on FOX 5 main card beginning at 5 p.m. ET / 2 p.m. PT: Brendan Schaub vs. Lavar Johnson, Michael Chiesa vs. Marcus LeVesseur, Nam Phan vs. Dennis Siver, Daron Cruickshank vs. Henry Martinez, Ramsey Nijem vs. Joe Proctor, and Yves Edwards vs. John Cholish. Prior to the FX prelims, Facebook will also stream three fights beginning at 3:45 p.m. ET / 12:45 p.m PT: Bryan Caraway vs. Mike Easton, John Albert vs. Scott Jorgensen, and Tim Means vs. Abel Trujillo.
Eddie Yagin released from hospital, expected to make full recovery
UFC featherweight Eddie Yagin is expected to make a full recovery after a recent head injury scare.
According to Yagin's manager Jason House, Yagin was released from a local San Diego hospital last week after he was admitted due to a series of headaches which left him feeling very ill.
"The injury was not the result of a certain strike or exchange," House said last week. "[He] came home, had a headache, started to vomit whatever liquids he drank and then decided to go to the ER the next day."
UFC boss Dana White hints at potential for 'longer-term deal' with FOX network
"We're in a long-term deal with FOX," White said Saturday following the UFC 154 post-event news conference. "We're not going anywhere. And we might even be in a longer-term deal with FOX. We'll see what happens."
The sudden hint that perhaps the seven-year deal with FOX could be extended was a new revelation from White, who hasn't been shy about defending the UFC's ratings on FOX to critics who have argued that they should be higher.
UFC on FOX 1, which featured just one fight – Junior Dos Santos' knockout of Cain Velasquez to win the heavyweight title – was the highst-rated MMA event in U.S. network TV history with 5.7 million viewers.
UFC 154 medical suspensions: Martin Kampmann, Patrick Cote top list with 60-day terms
The full list includes:
Georges St-Pierre: suspended 28 days
Carlos Condit: suspended 30 days
Johny Hendricks: suspended seven days
Martin Kampmann: suspended 60 days
Francis Carmont: suspended 14 days
Tom Lawlor: suspended 14 days
Rafael dos Anjos: suspended 14 days
Mark Bocek: suspended 45 days
Pablo Garza: suspended 14 days
Mark Hominick: suspended 45 days
Patrick Cote: suspended 60 days
Alessio Sakara: suspended seven days
Cyrille Diabate: suspended seven days
Chad Griggs: suspended 30 days
John Makdessi: suspended 14 days
Sam Stout: suspended 14 days
Antonio Carvalho: suspended 14 days
Rodrigo Damm: suspended 14 days
Matt Riddle: suspended 14 days
John Maguire: suspended 14 days
Ivan Menjivar: suspended 7 days
Azamat Gashimov: suspended seven days
Darren Elkins: suspended 14 days
Steven Siler: suspended 14 days
Firas Zahabi: Anderson Silva vs. Georges St-Pierre at 170 pounds would be 'fair fight'
Like most everyone else in the mixed martial arts business, Montreal-based trainer Firas Zahabi has opinions on whom his most famous protege, UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre, should fight next.
The way Zahabi sees it, with Carlos Condit out of the way after GSP's UFC 154 victory, there are plenty of good options available at 170 pounds: Nick Diaz. Johny Hendricks. Anderson Silva.
Wait ... Anderson Silva at welterweight? Isn't that expected to be a catchweight super fight, if the bout is made?
Ronda Rousey likely to main event UFC pay-per-view.
Here's how much the UFC thinks of Ronda Rousey and her exploding star power: the newly signed women's bantamweight champion will most likely main event a pay-per-view in her octagon debut, UFC president Dana White said.
"She's the champ," he said. "Unless there's a weight division higher than her that the champ would be defending the title, then yeah, she'd be the main event."
That's quite a turnaround for White, who as recently as 2011 said women would "never" fight in a UFC cage.
White not interested in talking to retired Bonnar
Stephan Bonnar not only failed his UFC 153 postfight drug test, he failed promotion president Dana White.
White has opted not to speak with the recently retired light heavyweight since the test results were revealed.
Bonnar, 35, tested positive for Drostanolone, an anabolic steroid, after suffering a first-round TKO loss Oct. 13 to middleweight champion Anderson Silva in Rio de Janeiro.A little more than two weeks after the loss, Bonnar announced his retirement from mixed martial arts.
With Sakara's team planning appeal of UFC 154 DQ, ref Miragliotta explains his decision
Dan Miragliotta contends that most of the shots that hit Patrick Cote just prior to a stoppage against Alessio Sakara were legal blows.
Three weren't, however, and the longtime referee said he issued two verbal warnings before the third blow knocked Cote out and forced his intervention.
"As long as hand makes contact with the ear, it's a legal strike," Miragliotta told MMAjunkie.com. "If you miss the ear and only hit the back of the head, it's illegal."
Nevada commission OK with UFC promoting Alistair Overeem or Nick Diaz – with caveats
The UFC can promote Alistair Overeem and Nick Diaz for bouts next year "as long as Zuffa makes quite clear that there's an added piece to that puzzle," NSAC Executive Director Keith Kizer today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).
In Overeem's case, that means getting a license to fight in Nevada. For Diaz, it's scheduling him after his suspension ends.
The star fighters have been benched for much of 2012 as they wait out respective administrative actions handed down by the NSAC.
UFC President Dana White on Saturday told reporters that the NSAC approved booking Overeem for a bout with Antonio Silva at UFC 156, which takes place Feb. 2 at Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas.
"But he's still got to go before the commission, and it still doesn't mean the outcome could be good," White said. "But I think that Alistair has been doing the right thing, as far as the commission is concerned, and doing all the things that he needs to do to get back in their good graces. It's looking positive and optimistic."
John Maguire plans return to middleweight following UFC 154 loss to Matt Riddle
After dropping his second straight fight, John Maguire is changing weight classes.
The British fighter will return to middleweight after a nearly three-year run at welterweight following his Saturday loss to Matt Riddle at UFC 154. Maguire on Sunday announced the news on his Twitter account.
UFC 154 took place at Bell Centre in Montreal. Maguire's fight against Riddle streamed live on Facebook.
UFC boss Dana White confirms move to Hard Rock was retaliation for credit cut at Palms
The UFC's return to Las Vegas' Hard Rock Hotel and Casino from the Palms Casino Resort was the result of a fallout between UFC President Dana White and the Palms.
White on Saturday confirmed to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) the accuracy of a report from the Las Vegas Review-Journal, which stated he cut ties with the venue when his credit limit was cut in half.
"I had a little beef with the Palms, and I ripped the UFC out of there," he said with a chuckle...
UFC 154 – GSP, Condit, Hendricks & Menjivar Earn $70K In ‘Fight Night’ Bonuses
Ultimate Fighting Championship president Dana White payed out $280,000 in bonus money between the four ‘Fight Night’ bonus recipients for their work at Saturday’s UFC 154 event.
Earning an extra $70,000 each were Johny Hendricks, Ivan Menjivar, as well as headliners Georges St-Pierre and Carlos Condit.
UFC 154: St-Pierre vs. Condit took place on Nov. 17, 2012 at the Bell Centre in Montreal, Quebec, Canada with the main card airing on pay-per-view while the prelim card was split between FX television and streaming video on Facebook.
White also announced an attendance of 17,249 fans into the Bell Centre for a live gate of $3.143 million.
Rousey gets UFC belt
"The UFC women's bantamweight title will go to Strikeforce bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey, without a fight...."
I am not a fan of Rousey, but it is obvious she has been heading for super stardom for quite some time. She has had some impressive wins, but her attitude disgusts me. And now the UFC is just handing her the belt without making her earn it by winning a fight. What a disgrace.
Also, I think Cyborg would rough her up.
UFC boss says Renan Barao to defend interim belt, possibly against Michael McDonald
MONTREAL – And then there was one.
Prior to Saturday night's UFC 154 event in Montreal, the UFC roster boasted two interim title holders. But after welterweight champ Georges St-Pierre downed interim title holder Carlos Condit to unify the belts in the 170-pound division, bantamweight Renan Barao (29-1 MMA, 4-0 UFC) was left as the lone interim champ on the roster.
Barao recently said he was happy to wait for champion Dominick Cruz to return to action before he fought again, but UFC President Dana White isn't so sure. Instead, he said Barao will soon defend his interim belt, and Michael McDonald (15-1 MMA, 4-0 UFC) could very well be the challenger.
"We were talking about Barao defending his title now," White told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) following Saturday's post-UFC 154 press conference. "So whether he wants to wait or not, we're going to go back to him soon probably here and have him defend it."
UFC 154 results & analysis - Champ St-Pierre downs Condit in thriller
MONTREAL – After 19 months away from the sport, after battling through reconstructive knee surgery and while facing one of the sternest tests of his career, Georges St-Pierre proved once again why he has long been considered one of the greatest fighters in the history of MMA.
A battered and bloodied St-Pierre defended his UFC welterweight title in grand fashion as he took a unanimous-decision win over interim champ Carlos Condit.
The Georges St-Pierre business is booming despite layoff
According to industry sources, St-Pierre has 14 endorsement deals, with each paying him in the six-figure range. If you tally up the numbers from past and present deals, his income outside the cage is well into eight figures, sources say, with much of it coming in the past year.
The question is, how does a fighter who hasn't fought in more than a year and a half become such a magnet for blue-chip sponsors while sitting on the sidelines? The answer, according to those who know him best, has to do with St-Pierre's squeaky-clean image outside the cage and the team of high-powered agents in his corner...