Ricardo Lamas Accepted Offer To Fight Jose Aldo Before UFC Changed Challenger Plans To Frankie Edgar
While there have been a long list of injuries forcing cancellations and reschedulings of UFC fights, one of the rare cases where fans were more excited about the replacement fight than the original came when Erik Koch was injured and forced out of his title bout with Jose Aldo. In place of Koch, we're being treated to Frankie Edgar's first bout at featherweight being a title shot.
But the fight almost didn't happen as, according to a story at Bleacher Report, Ricardo Lamas was offered (and accepted) the fight with Aldo:
"They [UFC] had called me first on Thursday," Lamas stated. "They had called me up at about 3:30 p.m. Central time and said, 'Obviously Koch is injured and we need to know tonight if you want to take this fight with Aldo? We think you deserve it and we need to redo your contract. We need to get it all done by tonight.'"
Former UFC, Strikeforce fighter Jason 'Mayhem' Miller charged with misdemeanor vandalism
The Orange County (Calif.) District Attorney today charged Jason "Mayhem" Miller with a misdemeanor count of vandalism for allegedly breaking into a church.
Miller faces probation or up to one year in jail, OC district attorney spokesperson Farrah Emami today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).
Miller's arraignment is scheduled for Nov. 21 in Orange County Superior Court, were he will either enter a plea of guilty or not guilty.
The fighter did not respond to a request for comment.
A complaint filed today alleges that Miller "did unlawfully deface with graffiti and other inscribed material, damage and destroy church property, real and personal property belonging to Mission Hills Baptist Church." The damage was totaled at $400.
Should Miller plead not guilty, a pre-trial hearing would be set for a later date.
Sheriff's deputies arrested Miller on Aug. 13 after he was found naked but coherent on the second floor of the church, the OC Sheriff's Department said. They found fire extinguisher spray on the first and second floors, broken windows, broken pictures, scattered CDs and books and glass. Miller was taken to an Orange County jail and released on Aug. 14 after posting bail.
Miller (28-9 MMA, 0-3 UFC) was released from the UFC following a loss to C.B. Dollaway at UFC 146. The former host of MTV's "Bully Beatdown" assured fans he was OK after his release.
Dana White Confirms Many Undercard Fighters Compensated After UFC 151 Was Cancelled
One of the hardest parts about UFC 151 being cancelled were the undercard fighters who not only lost the chance to fight on a huge card, but they also lost a payday.
While many fighters in the UFC are pulling in the kind of dollars that prevent them from having to worry as much about competing 3 or 4 times a year just to stay afloat, that’s not the case for many of the undercard fighters being paid much less as they start out in their UFC careers.
So when UFC 151 became the ‘lost show’, the fighters on the undercard were then shifted and shuffled to all of the other upcoming cards later this year.
Lyoto Machida and Chris Weidman unlikely to get immediate UFC title shots
One fighter had been offered a title shot but declined it, and the other has done everything he can think of to get one.
But for those respective fighters, former light-heavyweight champion Lyoto Machida (18-3 MMA, 10-3 UFC) and middleweight Chris Weidman (9-0 MMA, 5-0 UFC), neither is likely to get a shot at the belt in his next fight.
UFC President Dana White, though, is mum about what could be next.
Let's start with the latter, Weidman. The undefeated wrestler steamrolled highly ranked Mark Munoz in July, which moved him to 5-0 in the UFC. Despite a "Knockout of the Night" performance against a fighter many considered the next middleweight title challenger, Weidman got no assurances he'd cut to the front of the line.
And despite a respectful campaign in recent months to get middleweight champion Anderson Silva interested in the fight, the New Yorker still has no assurances.
UFC President Dana White was asked about the possibility of Silva vs. Weidman on Tuesday on FUEL TV's "UFC Tonight."
UFC: St-Pierre vs. Silva super fight expected at 180 pounds, in Cowboys Stadium
If UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre (22-2 MMA, 16-2 UFC) returns from a 19-month injury layoff and can defeat interim titleholder Carlos Condit (28-5 MMA, 5-1 UFC) during an expected UFC 154 clash in November, one of the biggest fights in UFC history could be up next.
As expected, UFC President Dana White said it'll be against middleweight champion Anderson Silva (32-4 MMA, 15-0 UFC).
It's close enough to reality that White has a weight (180 pounds) and venue (105,000-seat Cowboys Stadium) in mind for the super fight.
"I think we're pretty close," White said Tuesday on FUEL TV's "UFC Tonight." "If Georges St-Pierre beats Condit, that could be the next fight.
"These guys want to fight each other now. If you're a fighter and you've dominated as long as Anderson has, and you've been great as long as Georges has, you finally want to say, 'I want to test myself. I think I can beat this guy.'"
MMA World Cup 2017
Having been branded as “human cock fighting” by former Whitehouse hopeful John McCain, mixed martial arts is set to join mainstream sports by having its very own world cup.
The competition will happen in 2017 and will fittingly take place at the home of the gladiators in Rome.
“Considering the history of Rome, and the Coliseum, it is the perfect environment for the first mixed martial arts world cup. It gives marquee values and it is the right tribute to history,” said World Cup Mixed Martial Arts (WCMMA) Executive Director, Edward Catucci...
A watered down version of mma?
What do you guys think?
Michael Bisping Considering Eventual Return to Light Heavyweight
Michael “The Count” Bisping is scheduled to face Brian Stann at UFC 152 in Toronto in hopes of moving into a contender slot in the middleweight division, but the Brit isn’t ruling out an eventual return to the light heavyweight division.
“I think about it every time I want to eat pizza and can’t,” Bisping said recently during an online chat hosted by MMAWeekly.com content partner Yahoo! Sports.
Bisping had a successful run in the 205-pound division, including winning The Ultimate Fighter 3. He’s competed most of his career as a light heavyweight, but after losing to Rashad Evans at UFC 78, he decided to make the drop to middleweight.
The outspoken Englishman feels middleweight is where he should be at this point in his career, but the thoughts of a 205-pound return remain.
“But seriously, I do think about it. I was 15-1 at 205 pounds, but 185 pounds is where I should be right now.”
Lyoto Machida May Have to Fight Again Before Title Shot, but Knows He Made Right Decision
Lyoto Machida wants nothing more than to get a second chance to face Jon Jones for the UFC light heavyweight title, but he also wants to be fully prepared.
Following Dan Henderson’s injury that forced him out of UFC 151, Jon Jones was left in the midst of a shuffle of opponents, eventually shifting to UFC 152 on Sept. 22. It was Machida that got the first call to step in and face him in Toronto.
Machida was afforded the rematch with Jones after knocking out Ryan Bader at UFC on Fox 4 in early August, but never imagined the fight would come together so quickly.
Ultimately, Machida opted to pass on the title shot on short notice because he knows that a second loss to Jones would essentially mean never getting another crack at the belt so long as he holds it.
As feud with AKA's Javier Mendez lingers, Josh Koscheck eyes return at UFC 155
One of the biggest spats in MMA right now isn't between a pair of fighters.
Former UFC welterweight title contender Josh Koscheck has been more than outspoken about his disdain for Javier Mendez, the founder and head trainer of Koscheck's former gym, American Kickboxing Academy.
The feud between the two has spilled over in interviews with Koscheck, on his Twitter account and, most recently, in episodes of the new AKA-based reality show "Fight Factory," which airs on nuvoTV.
Junior dos Santos on Alistair Overeem: "He deserves a beating and I will arrange it."
With quite a bit of time on his hands before he opens camp to prepare for a rematch with former UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez on Dec. 29 at UFC 155, current heavyweight champ Junior dos Santos is fuming.
Not over Jon Jones or the cancelled UFC card, not over Thales Leitas' disparaging comments toward his friend and training partner Anderson Silva, but over comments made back in early July by suspended heavyweight challenger Alistair Overeem.
The two heavyweight juggernauts were expected to square off back in May at UFC 146, but Overeem was suspended for 9-months in April after a surprise drug test revealed that he had elevated testosterone levels. It's a suspension that dos Santos welcomed according to Overeem.
"I know [Junior dos Santos] didn't want to fight me in the first place," Overeem told MMA Fighting. "I know he was happy [about the NSAC decision], I just know that. I hit very hard, I've knocked out a lot of people, I've submitted a lot of people. I am, in any way you look at it, a legitimate threat to his title. I'm gonna get it. He knows that. Cain (Velasquez) is also doing very well right now, but Cain doesn't hit as hard as I do. Cain is smaller than I am and has less experience. I'm the biggest legitimate threat out there, that's why he's afraid."
UFC Featherweight Champion Jose Aldo Unhurt In Minor Motorcycle Accident
UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo was involved in a minor motorcycle accident in Brazil on Saturday, but was unhurt. According to a Fighters Only article, the incident actually led to a somewhat amusing conclusion - Nova Uniao coach Andre Pederneiras asked Aldo to only take taxis until his October 13th title defense against Frankie Edgar at UFC 153. Here's what Fighters Only had to say:
The fighter was riding on Copacabana towards his home in Barrio do Flamengo when a Citroen suddenly turned the corner and hit his motorcycle. The motorist stopped to help him and was surprised when the passersby began to ask for autographs.
Team mates Luis Ramos and Alexandre Baixinho, who live close to the place where "Scarface" was involved in the car crash, showed up immediately and took Aldo to the gym for a meet with head coach Andre Pederneiras.
After checking that everything was OK with Jose, "Dede" recommended his athlete only to take taxis until October 13th, the date in which he will face off Frankie Edgar.
Later that day, Aldo led his beach soccer team back from a 2-0 halftime deficit by scoring a hat trick in the second half to claim a 3-2 victory. So he's perfectly fine. Still a scary incident though.
The Agony of the Injury: UFC's 2012 Badly Slowed by Health Woes
It doesn't take a statistical analysis to innately understand that injury woes have ravaged the UFC schedule in 2012. Still, with two-thirds of the year completed, a look at the numbers makes it clear exactly just how bad it has been.
So far this year, the UFC has had no fewer than 78 fights canceled due to injury, an MMA Fighting examination of records shows. To put that into perspective, that number of injuries is just two less than the total number of fights produced by the UFC in all of 2005...
Crunching Numbers: How Fairly Are Fight Bonuses Awarded?
The UFC's stated fight bonus system is a noteworthy form of incentivization. For extraordinary performance, UFC fighters are able to considerably augment their pay with a Submission of the Night (SOTN), Knockout of the Night (KOTN) or Fight of the Night (FOTN) bonus. Sometimes the same fighter can win two of those bonuses on the same night. Best of all, any fighter on the card can win any of the awards. You don't have to be a world champion at the top of the card to take home extra cash on a UFC fight night.
Or do you?
After going over the data, it appears you do. Or, at least, it helps quite a bit. The truth of the UFC's stated fight bonus system is that while everyone at every level can and has won, the most dramatic impact on your likelihood of earning bonus money has little to do with performance.
Before we get into which factor is the biggest determinant in being awarded bonuses, let's take a look at the kind of fighter who wins UFC fight bonuses. The numbers below are some of the statistics based on the top 20 bonus earners in UFC history:
Jon Jones was going to pay UFC 151 fighters salaries but chose not to after Twitter trash talk
Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) was all set to blow the roof off the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada, tonight (Sat., Sept. 1, 2012) with its UFC 151: "Jones vs. Henderson" event headlined by Light Heavyweight Champion Jon Jones defending his title against Dan Henderson.
That was until about nine days ago when word trickled out that "Hendo" injured his knee and would be pulling out of the fight. This triggered a chain of events that have changed the way mixed martial arts (MMA) fans feel about the biggest fight promotion in the world.
Jones, already a polarizing figure, turned down a short notice replacement bout against Chael Sonnen, presumably after being told by an angry UFC President Dana White that if he did so, the entire event would be cancelled just over one week before it was scheduled to occur.
Still, Jones said no and MMA fans had their Labor Day weekend freed up from any major show.
The fallout has been nasty. White and the UFC embarked on what was, essentially, a smear campaign, burying "Bones" at every turn. They issued press releases with quotes like, "UFC 151 will always be the event remembered as the one Jon Jones and Greg Jackson MURDERED."
Rashad Evans Targeting December Return in UFC Light Heavyweight Division
Former UFC light heavyweight champion Rashad Evans hopes to fight again before the end of the year, and unless something miraculous happens, it will be at 205 pounds.
Evans has commented recently that he would love a challenge like facing UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva, which prompted everyone to assume that the former Ultimate Fighter winner might be contemplating a move down to 185 pounds.
Well, according to Evans’ manager, Glenn Robinson of Authentic Sports Management, he’s definitely interested in middleweight, but only for one fight.
Cowboy Cerrone Made it Personal with Anthony Pettis, Now He Gets to Answer For It
Anthony Pettis is anxious to get back in the cage and settle a newfound rivalry with fellow former WEC fighter Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone.
The two fighters are on a collision course for a bout later this year, so it’s no longer a matter of if, it’s only a matter of when.
“That is the fight that’s going to happen. We’re currently working, trying to put together the avenue for which they’re going to fight. I would look for an announcement sooner rather than later for when that fight’s going to be,” Pettis’ manager, Mike Roberts of MMA Inc., told MMAWeekly Radio earlier this week.
“Hopefully it’s the sooner the better because Anthony can’t wait to get his hands on him.”
Mark Munoz Open to Any UFC Fight, but No Mention of Hector Lombard Yet
Mark Munoz is currently nursing some injuries before he can schedule his next fight in the UFC.
This according to Munoz’s manager Mike Roberts of MMA Inc., who says that the former NCAA champion needed some time to heal after his loss to Chris Weidman at UFC on Fuel 4 earlier this summer.
“Mark’s nursing through some injuries right now. He obviously had the cut on his forehead and we later found out that he had a small fracture in his foot, and he’s still having some elbow problems from the surgery,” Roberts revealed when speaking to MMAWeekly Radio.
“So he’s rehabbing, taking some time to heal his body, and I think you’ll see him at some point by the end of the year.”
Prospect Bruno Carvalho plans fights at featherweight, lightweight in hopes of UFC bid
On a push toward the UFC's octagon, Brazilian striking specialist Bruno Carvalho is diversifying weight classes to make himself more appealing.
Carvalho on Saturday makes his featherweight debut against Maicon Bastos, and he hopes to use the result to springboard onto the international scene. Once there, he promises to be a model UFC employee.
"My greatest dream is to fight in the UFC," Carvalho told MMAjunkie.com. "If I join that organization and they tell me to fight 10 times in a year, I would love that."