Nate Diaz offered to fight Anthony Pettis in UFC 196 main event
Stockton almost saved UFC 196.
Nate Diaz offered to fight Anthony Pettis in the main event of UFC 196 when the heavyweight title headliner was lost this week, sources told MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani.
The UFC considered the matchup, and it was a viable option as of Tuesday morning, but the promotion decided for undisclosed reasons to ultimately go in another direction.
Marcelo Guimaraes vs. Vitor Miranda joins UFC 197 lineup
A middleweight bout between Marcelo Guimaraes (9-1-1 MMA, 2-1 UFC) and Vitor Miranda (11-4 MMA, 2-1 UFC) is the latest addition to March’s UFC 197 lineup.
UFC officials announced the bout on Tuesday.
The latest UFC 197 card includes:
Champ Rafael dos Anjos vs. Conor McGregor – for lightweight title
Champ Holly Holm vs. Miesha Tate – for women’s bantamweight title
Corey Anderson vs. Tom Lawlor
Erick Silva vs. Nordine Taleb
Darren Elkins vs. Chas Skelly
Jim Miller vs. Diego Sanchez
Marcelo Guimaraes vs. Vitor Miranda
Rothwell: 80% of heavyweights were on PEDs before USADA
UFC heavyweight Ben Rothwell spoke with ESPN recently, ahead of his fight with Josh Barnett at UFC on FOX 18? in Newark on Saturday. Among other subjects, Rothwell talked about the role of PEDs in the heavyweight division.
"Before USADA, I would say 80 percent or more heavyweights were on performance-enhancing drugs," said Rothwell to Brett Okamoto. "Let's just look at the facts. Bigger athletes don't like to train the way we do. This sport is exhausting. Big guys come and go all the time because they hate the hard work. The ones who survive seem to think they need steroids and PEDs to cope with the training.
Al Iaquinta: I'll be unstoppable when I come back with two healthy knees
Al Iaquinta ended 2015 riding a four-fight winning streak. With things fully clicking in his UFC career, the lightweight had to put things on hold to repair damage to the articular cartilage in his knee.
It isn’t the first time Iaquinta (12-3-1 MMA, 7-2 UFC) has had knee surgery. After a runner-up finish on “The Ultimate Fighter 15,” he also went under the knife.
The biggest difference between then and now may be Iaquinta’s decision to give up drinking alcohol, something that cost him during his first recovery.
RDA: It's good McGregor's in my head
Signing to fight Conor McGregor is a red panty night financially, but to reach that check, you get trash talked by a master for months. UFC lightweight champion Rafael Dos Anjos is no exception.
At the first UFC 197 press conference, McGregor talked about RDA's children and his faith, all while wearing a shirt popularized by the just arrested Mexican drug dealer 'El Chapo' which means shorty.
"He crosses the line all the time," said dos Anjos in Niteroi, Brazil, as translated by Guilherme Cruz for MMAFighting.com. "He answered questions the media asked me, talked about my kids, said I’m not a Brazilian. Man, all the time. He said I’m sloppy. He crosses the line all the time.
Former LHW Champions Mauricio Shogun Rua and Rashad Evans Scheduled for April 16th fight in Tampa, Florida
The Ultimate has already defined the next step of Shogun in the organization. The idea is that Brazil faces Rashad Evans, on 16 April, in an event that is scheduled to be held in Tampa, Florida (USA), as it was found the Combate.com. The confrontation was originally asked by the US to the company, and the athlete of Kings MMA accepted the challenge soon after. No confirmation on what the card's main event. The UFC also search for names, but it is not ruled out Evans x Shogun lead the show.
After losing headliner, UFC 196 shifts from pay-per-view to FOX Sports 1
Next week’s UFC 196 event will come without the usual hefty pay-per-view price tag.
After losing a headlining heavyweight title fight earlier this week, the event now instead will air on FOX Sports 1. Yahoo! Sports first reported the plans, citing UFC President Dana White.
UFC 196 takes place Feb. 6 at Las Vegas’ MGM Grand Garden Arena. Following early prelims on UFC Fight Pass, the remainder of the card is now slated for FOX Sports 1.
Co-headliner, ex-champ Johny Hendricks willing to move up to UFC 196 main event
It may not be the ideal main event, but former welterweight champion Johny Hendricks is willing to fight two extra rounds and move up a slot on next week’s UFC 196 fight card.
The Feb. 6 pay-per-view event, which takes place at Las Vegas’ MGM Grand Garden Arena, recently lost its planned main event. Hendricks, who’s currently slated for the co-main event, is willing to step up.
Ex-champ Jon Jones would fight Stipe Miocic at UFC 196 – if heavyweight belt is on line
Here’s an intriguing – though likely farfetched – possibility for next week’s UFC 196 headliner.
After a series of changes to the Feb. 6 card, the pay-per-view event is currently without a main event. Enter former UFC light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones?
Jones (21-1 MMA, 15-1 UFC), whom UFC officials recently reinstated from a suspension following an April hit-and-run accident, had been looking for a chance to reclaim the light-heavyweight belt, which was stripped after his arrest.
Miocic manager on Werdum withdrawal: Strip him if he can fight
Stipe Miocic manager Greg Kalikas thinks the UFC should take the belt away from UFC heavyweight champ Fabricio Werdum if he’s really able to fight at UFC 196.
“If you’re the champion and you’re healthy enough to fight, and you refuse to fight because you don’t like the matchup against any specific opponent, you should be stripped,” Kalikas today told MMAjunkie.
Canadian Laprise to face Patrick at UFC Fight Night: Hunt vs. Mir
Canadian Chad Laprise has a date in the Octagon.
The Ultimate Fighter: Nations winner will square off against Brazil's Alan Patrick at UFC Fight Night: Hunt vs. Mir on March 20 at the Brisbane Entertainment Centre in Brisbane, Australia.
“On my season of the Ultimate Fighter it was Canada vs. Australia, so I have a lot of fans down there and I was really hoping to get to fight down there some day,” Laprise told TSN.ca. “The time is now and I’m looking forward to it.
The UFC Facebook page posted this article so it should be legit.
Fabricio Werdum pulls out of UFC 196 with injury
Fabricio Werdum is also out of UFC 196.
The UFC heavyweight champion was initially scheduled to face Cain Velasquez on Feb. 6, but the former titleholder pulled out of the bout with a back injury.
A day after the announcement that Velasquez would be replaced by Stipe Miocic, the Brazilian told MMAFighting.com he will also pull out of the event with an injury.
12-time UFC veteran Anthony Perosh calls it quits at 43
Australian MMA veteran Anthony Perosh is retiring from active competition after more than 12 years as a professional fighter.
“The Hippo” recently announced his decision on TeamPeroshMMA.com.au, the official website of Team Perosh Mixed Martial Arts.
Perosh (15-10 MMA, 5-7 UFC) walks away after a pair of disappointing 2015 knockout losses to Gian Villante and Sean O’Connell but insists he leaves the octagon with his head held high.
Per his official statement, Perosh will remain active in the sport through training some 650 students at his two academies.
Ross Pearson meets Abel Trujillo at UFC Fight Night 84 in Australia
Just a week after dropping a fight in Boston, Ross Pearson already knows when he’ll be getting back on the horse.
Pearson (18-10 MMA, 10-7 UFC) has been booked for a lightweight fight against Abel Trujillo (13-7 MMA, 4-3 UFC) in March at UFC Fight Night 84 in Australia. Pearson announced the fight early today on his social media platforms. The UFC has not yet made a formal announcement of the booking.
With the addition to the card, UFC Fight Night 84 now includes:
Mark Hunt vs. Frank Mir
Hector Lombard vs. Neil Magny
Steve Bosse vs. James Te Huna
Alan Jouban vs. Brendan O’Reilly
Antonio Carlos Junior vs. Daniel Kelly
Johnny Case vs. Jake Matthews
Viscardi Andrade vs. Richard Walsh
Seo Hee Ham vs. Bec Rawlings
Ross Pearson vs. Abel Trujillo
Cain Velasquez out, Stipe Miocic meets Fabricio Werdum for heavyweight title
Alright, mmajunkie finally posted the news so I'll switch out Dana's twitter post for the junkie article.
Injury has dealt Cain Velasquez another blow, as he’s been forced to pull out of UFC 196.
UFC officials today announced that back injury has forced the former heavyweight champ to pull out of a planned Feb. 6 meeting with current champ Fabricio Werdum, and Stipe Miocic has been tapped as a short-notice replacement.
With the change to the card, UFC 196 now includes:
MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view, 10 p.m. ET)
Fabricio Werdum vs. Stipe Miocic – for heavyweight championship
Johny Hendricks vs. Stephen Thompson
Roy Nelson vs. Jared Rosholt
Rafael Cavalcante vs. Ovince Saint Preux
Joseph Benavidez vs. Zach Makovsky
PRELIMINARY CARD (FOX Sports 1, 8 p.m. ET)
Josh Burkman vs. K.J. Noons
Damian Grabowski vs. Derrick Lewis
Mike Pyle vs. Sean Spencer
Misha Cirkunov vs. Alex Nicholson
PRELIMINARY CARD (UFC Fight Pass, 6 p.m. ET)
Mickey Gall vs. Mike Jackson
Artem Lobov vs. Alex White
Ray Borg vs. Justin Scoggins
Noad Lahat vs. Diego Rivas
Nathan Coy in for Bryan Barberena vs. Jonavin Webb at UFC Fight Night 82 in Pittsburgh
With Bryan Barberena moving up his schedule to fight Sage Northcutt in a week in New Jersey, Jonavin Webb was in need of a new opponent.
Today, Webb (8-1 MMA, 0-1 UFC) got one in the form of fellow welterweight Nathan Coy (14-6 MMA, 0-1 UFC). Coy will step in for Barberena (10-3 MMA, 1-1 UFC) at UFC Fight Night 82 after Barberena was called to fill in for Andrew Holbrook at UFC on FOX 18. UFC officials made the announcement.
The latest UFC Fight Night 82 card includes:
Donald Cerrone vs. Tim Means
Derek Brunson vs. Roan Carneiro
Cody Garbrandt vs. John Lineker
Siyar Bahadurzada vs. Brandon Thatch
Dennis Bermudez vs. Tatsuya Kawajiri
Shane Campbell vs. James Krause
Alex Garcia vs. Sean Strickland
Ashlee Evans-Smith vs. Marion Reneau
Chris Camozzi vs. Joe Riggs
Oluwale Bamgbose vs. Daniel Sarafian
Trevor Smith vs. Leonardo Augusto Guimaraes
Sarah Moras vs. Lauren Murphy
Shamil Abdurakhimov vs. Anthony Hamilton
Nathan Coy vs. Jonavin Webb