Finally Settled in the Octagon, Chris Camozzi Taking Aim at Nick Catone
After suffering back-to-back losses in the UFC, Chris Camozzi was able to get back on track with a win over Dustin Jacoby in January. In the process, he was able to finally feel fully in synch with the promotion for the first time since debuting for them two years ago.
“The fight got me back in the win column, obviously, but it’s just another step for me to becoming more comfortable in the Octagon,” he said.
Camozzi told MMAWeekly.com that he feels that comfort level will continue when he fights again on June 22 at UFC on FX 4.
Champion Junior Dos Santos Calls for Random Drug Testing in the UFC
Between irresponsible TRT use and baseless speculation concerning the recent injury epidemic, the use of performance enhancing drugs in MMA has cast the sport in a rather negative light of late. So it’s a breath of fresh air to have a fighter not only come out against PED use, but to express a willingness to take part in more comprehensive drug tests. And it’s even better when that fighter is the current UFC heavyweight champion. In a recent press conference, Junior Dos Santos stated that he advocated random blood testing for his future fights for both himself and his opponents.
“I am champion and never have used anything, and I am proud to say that. It is unfair to use substances. With or without authorization, it makes a difference. A fighter who can do this kind of treatment is not himself in the octagon and using tricks to improve [his] performance.”
This is significant for three reasons. First, because Junior Dos Santos said it. It’s unlikely that Dana White will read this and retort “I would rather watch flys [sic] fuck,” as he did when Ben Askren accused White of not doing enough to prevent the use of PEDs. If your heavyweight champion wants something, especially when that something will contribute to the legitimacy of your sport, you’d do well to accommodate him.
Mizugaki Faces Hougland at UFC 151
A pair of bantamweights have been matched up and added to UFC 151 in September as Takeya Mizugaki faces off with Jeff Hougland.
Sources close to the match-up confirmed the fight with MMAWeekly.com on Sunday.
Report: Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira Out Of UFC 149, Replaced by Shawn Jordan
According to sources close to the situation, Nogueira has not healed completely from the surgery he underwent to repair a broken humerus suffered in his UFC 141 defeat to Frank Mir. Due to lingering effects from that injury, "Minotauro" will be unable to face Frenchman heavyweight Cheick Kongo at the event, which takes place at the Scotiabank Saddledome in Calgary, Alberta.
Taking the Brazilian's place against Kongo will be former Louisiana State football standout Shawn Jordan. Though the pairing has not been officially announced by the UFC, Sherdog.com confirmed on Saturday with sources close to the Jackson's MMA representative that Jordan has accepted the bout.
Chute Boxe Owner Sues Anderson Silva for 'Damage to Reputation'
Anderson Silva's autobiography was supposed to be a landmark in Brazil’s mixed martial arts history but actually, the book has become pain the neck for the Ultimate Fighting Championship middleweight champion.
First, The Spider created controversy with an anecdote about returning with a gun to look for former coach Rafael Cordeiro after an earlier argument ended up with Anderson taking a slap in the face.
Then Jose ‘Pele’ Landi-Jons also made strong comments last week when he read a section which accused him of deliberately driving through a puddle to spray road water all over Anderson and his daughter...
Shogun Sets the Record Straight on Refusal of Teixeira Fight
“They offered Glover for us. I talked with my team and we decided that Glover would not be interesting right now. Glover is a top fighter, I know him, I respect him. But he just got into the UFC and he has only one fight in the UFC. He needs to get more fights. I had nothing to gain with that fight.
“We said to the UFC that for now this fight is not interesting to me. After that the UFC offered me Brandon Vera. But the UFC has never thought to cut me nor have I thought to leave the UFC. I’ve never picked my opponents. I’ve fought against the best and I want to keep doing it, to get my chance for the title.
“For sure Glover is a top fighter but today if I beat him then I would gain nothing so we decided to refuse this fight. But in the future, it can happen.”
As Hatsu Hioki passed on title shot, UFC on FX 4's Ricardo Lamas happily stepped in
One man passing on a unique opportunity is another man's gain.
For Ricardo Lamas, the chance to add a big-name opponent to his evolving resume was a welcomed idea. It was a no-brainer.
When fellow featherweight Hatsu Hioki opted to pass on a title shot with current champion Jose Aldo in order to continue to hone his skills and gain additional octagon experience, he needed a fallback option for the short term.
Lamas, one of many ascending contenders in a division becoming more robust with each passing event, stepped up to accommodate him.
UFC Star Frank Mir 'Not Opposed' To Going To The WWE
Former UFC Heavyweight champ Frank Mir took a trip up to Canada to be a celebrity guest at the Thunder Bay Sports Celebrity Dinner along with Olympian cross-country skier Ashleigh McIvor. Mir, who most recently lost in a title shot to champion Junior dos Santos at UFC 146 talked about his future with the Chronicle Journal.
Mir talked about his ambition to do color commentary and fight analysis, which is no surprise to fans who've seen him fill that role on Fuel TV and Versus. But there was a tiny bit of a surprise when he was asked about his possible pro wrestling ambitions:
Hugo "Wolverine" Viana vs. John "Macapa" Teixeira added to UFC 147 prelims
The first fight between "The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil" eliminated cast members is set for next week's UFC 147 event.
Team Vitor featherweight Hugo "Wolverine" Viana (5-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) and John "Macapa" Teixeira (13-0-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC), a counterpart from Team Wanderlei, will clash on the event's preliminary card.
MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) confirmed the matchup with sources close to the fighters.
If GSP Isn’t Healthy, Martin Kampmann Ready for Condit Rematch
The waiting game for a fighter is sometimes the toughest spot in the world to sit in, but Martin Kampmann is completely okay with that right now.
The battle tested welterweight is coming off two hard fought wars in recent months in which he submitted Thiago Alves and then knocked out Jake Ellenberger, putting him in prime position as a top contender in the welterweight division.
UFC 147: Wanderlei Silva eager to stop Rich Franklin in rematch
Former PRIDE FC Middleweight (205 pounds) champion and current UFC 185-pound contender Wanderlei Silva will step into the Octagon on June 23, 2012, to take on Rich Franklin for a second time in what will mark fight number 47 in his 16-year mixed martial arts (MMA) career.
After an injury to Vitor Belfort, who blitzed through "The Axe Murderer" in 44 seconds way back in 1996, scrapped the much-anticipated rematch, Silva now looks to even another score against "Ace" in the headlining bout of UFC 147 in Belo Horizonte, Brazil.
Showing signs of the savage who wreaked havoc in Japan during his prime while with PRIDE against Cung Le at UFC 139, demolishing the SanSho specialist with his brutal Muay Thai technique, Silva looks to keep his momentum going and pick up consecutive victories for the first time since 2006. It won't be easy, however, as Franklin already has one up on Silva after defeating him at UFC 99 three years ago via unanimous decision in a "Fight of the Night" performance.
This time, however, Silva looks to avoid the judges' scorecards altogether, but is prepared to go a full 25 minutes if need be.
Speaking to MMA Weekly, the Brazilian bomber talked about the upsetting news of Belfort's injury, his upcoming bout with Franklin and whether or not he will have added pressure fighting on his own home turf of Brazil.
Check it out:
NSAC selects referee Yves Lavigne for UFC 148's Silva-Sonnen II headliner
Veteran referee Yves Lavigne will officiate next month's UFC 148 headliner and rematch between middleweight champion Anderson Silva and Chael Sonnen.
Nevada State Athletic Commission Executive Director Keith Kizer today confirmed the assignment with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).
Additionally, Patricia Morse Jarman, Junichiro Kamijo and Chris Lee will serve as the five-round title fight's judges.
UFC 148 takes place July 7 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. Silva (31-4 MMA, 14-0 UFC) vs. Sonnen (27-11-1 MMA, 6-4 UFC) II headlines a pay-per-view main card that follows prelims on FX and Facebook.
Lavigne most recently officiated a Silva fight in 2009 at UFC 97, where the champ earned a unanimous-decision victory over Thales Leites. He most recently joined Sonnen in the cage at UFC 98, where the upcoming title challenger posted a unanimous-decision victory over Dan Miller.
Dan Miragliotta has been assigned referee duties for the UFC on FX 4 main event
Dan Miragliotta has been assigned referee duties for the UFC on FX 4 main event clash between Gray Maynard and Clay Guida on June 22.
Sherdog.com learned the news of Miragliotta’s assignment from the New Jersey Athletic Control Board on Thursday. The NJSACB also revealed that Eric Colon, Sue Sanidad and Jose Tabora will judge the lightweight bout, which takes place at Revel Atlantic City in Atlantic City, N.J., and will be televised on FX.
According to FightMetric.com, Miragliotta has refereed a total of 137 fights for the UFC, Strikeforce, EliteXC and the IFL. Most recently he presided over three bouts on the May 15 UFC on Fuel TV 3 card, including the main event showdown between Chan Sung Jung and Dustin Poirier, which “The Korean Zombie” won via submission in round four.
Wanderlei Silva has a message for Chael Sonnen: 'F--k you'
Not too long ago, Wanderlei Silva told Chael Sonnen to "have some respect or lose some teeth."
Apparently the days of friendly advice are over, as "The Axe Murderer" has now simply resorted to using the F-word. He's even rooting for his fellow Brazilian, Anderson Silva, to "kick his ass" in the UFC 148 pay-per-view (PPV) event at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada on July 7, 2012.
Why all the hard feelings?
It's a Brazilian thing. UFC Featherweight Champion Jose Aldo asked the media not to print any of his "junk," former Interim Heavyweight Champion Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira referred to him as a "disrespectful kid," and I don't think we even need to rehash what transpired in the build-up to the upcoming "Silva vs. Sonnen" rematch.
Hear Wandy tell The Fight Show with Mauro Ranallo why the "crybaby" gets "no respect," after the jump.
"He fights with his mouth. He’s not a top guy. He creates that style and looks for guys to give attention to him. But face to face, he’s like a kid. He’ll cry like a baby, man. I don’t know what kind of man can say something bad about you then say, ‘Hey Wanderlei, let’s shake hands.’ F** you man. You talked some bad things. I’m old school. You’re talking some bulls*** about me, don’t shake my hand. This guy lost respect from me. Not one fighter respects him. I don’t like his style and I hope Anderson Silva kicks his ass. I think Anderson will be knock out Chael in the third round."
Clay Guida: Don't be surprised to see me knockout Gray Maynard at UFC on FX 4
Like they say in the commercials for the New York Lotto: Hey, you never know.
Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) has asked two of its best lightweight wrestlers, Gray Maynard vs. Clay Guida, to headline its upcoming UFC on FX 4 event scheduled for the Revel Hotel and Casino in Atlantic City, New Jersey on June 22, 2012.
And with 17 decision wins between them, a knockout or technical knockout (TKO) finish would probably come as a surprise to most mixed martial arts (MMA) fans.
It wouldn't surprise Guida, however, as he tells Low Kick that he's "fixed the holes in his wrestling game," which suggests this fight could play out on its feet. Where does that leave "The Carpenter" if he pulls it off?
Tito Ortiz: Jon Jones will be the one to break my UFC record
Records are meant to be broken.
Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Light Heavyweight Champion Tito Ortiz, who defended his 205-pound strap five straight times, understands that. In fact, he'd "love" to see reigning division champion Jon Jones be the fighter to do it.
Assuming Jones can stay out of trouble long enough to get it done.
"Bones," who's currently performing damage control after getting busted for driving while intoxicated (DWI) last month in Binghamton, NY, has successfully repelled three straight challengers. Two more ties the record, three more breaks it.