Jon Jones, Anderson Silva Nominated For Best Fighter At ESPY’s
UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva and light heavyweight champion Jon Jones have been nominated for the category of "Best Fighter" at the 2012 ESPY's.
Two of the biggest stars in the Ultimate Fighting Championship, the pair compete against boxing nominees Floyd Mayweather and Andre Ward.
The 2012 ESPY's take place on July 11 at 9 p.m. ET. Actor and comedian Rob Riggle will serve as the event's host. Manny Pacquiao won last year's award.
Tito Ortiz: "I will defeat Forrest Griffin within two rounds"
Tito Ortiz has a simple plan for UFC 148: hurt Forrest Griffin, get the "W".
"It's my whole legacy, it's what I've been doing the last 15 years. It's time to showcase my skills of knowing that I'm still one of the top ten guys of the Light Heavyweight division.
Being up in a Big Bear, you get that heart of a lion. ...I am here to die for my cause. Someone is going to have to carry me out of there cuz I ain't giving up. ...I'm going to blast right through him. I am going to test his chin and I'm going to hit it over and over. I'm going to damage him, I'm going to try and hurt him.
...I will defeat Forrest Griffin within two rounds. I hope he is ready for a war because I am ready for a war. When I walk away, people are going to say, "Holy Sh**, Tito Ortiz shouldn't be going anywhere right now."
Video - (transcribed by )
Joe Rogan receives his Black Belt in Jiu Jitsu
Joe Rogan has received a black belt in jiu jitsu. He was promoted on Tuesday evening by Eddie Bravo, head of the 10th Planet school of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.
"Thank you all, my UG brethren! I've been training since 96, and I've been a brown belt for 7 or 8 years now, so it really feels like a long term accomplishment to me, and I'm really motivated to get even better! It's a real honor. I even cried a little :)"
Alistair Overeem: "I want to show the world I am a clean fighter"
In his first interview since being ruled ineligible after a failed drug test, the heavyweight explained to "UFC Tonight" hosts Todd Harris and Kenny Florian on Tuesday night his reasons for staying out of the public eye.
"...We decided to do research, stay quiet, when we did have the research done we went in front of the commission and we explained our side of the story."
"I have not spoken to Dana personally," he said. "I mean, Dana is a busy man, he's got a company to run and fans to take care of...."
"What I want to show the world is that I am a clean fighter, I'll do these tests on my own. One test doesn't say anything. If I do these tests every 3-4 weeks, then you prove to everyone that you are clean, the medical staff is observing you taking the test, so there's no foul play involved. ... I'm doing it for myself as well as for the fans. For me, myself, my fans, for the commission, I am a clean fighter.
"When I'm back in there, hopefully in December, hopefully for the title, I'm going to show the world I'm No. 1."
Chael Sonnen: "One thing (Anderson Silva) didn't say is that he's going to beat me"
Top middleweight contender Chael Sonnen told ESPN.com on Tuesday that he isn't the least bit worried about the threats UFC champion Anderson Silva directed at him Monday during a media call.
"He says he's going to knock out my teeth and break my jaw and break my head and all this," Sonnen said. "He acts like I've never been to the orthodontist.
"I've fought 49 men, all professionals. He acts like I've never had a jaw set before. He acts like I've never had my head stapled shut in an emergency room before.
"Who gives a damn? He can do all those things." he added. "But one thing he didn't say is that he's going to beat me. One thing he didn't say he'd break is my will. One thing he didn't say he'd do is win this fight. We'll be in the middle of a cage stupid; I'd expect you to do those things."
"Anderson's a (jerk) and he always has been," he said. "And it came out (Monday); that was nice to see.
Terry Etim Out of UFC on Fox 4
Joe Silva’s phone just never stops ringing.
The latest call to the UFC matchmaker involves UFC on Fox 4 fighter Terry Etim who is out of his scheduled bout against Joe Lauzon on Aug 4.
The injury was confirmed on Tuesday night’s broadcast of UFC Tonight.
Etim was expected to face Lauzon on the undercard of the upcoming show eminating from Los Angeles, but will now be forced to wait until a later date to return to action.
The nature of Etim’s injury was not disclosed at the time.
UFC on FX 4 winner Cub Swanson unsure of nickname, but knows he wants title shot
Fight Night bonuses he's got down, but that whole nickname thing is still a work in progress for Cub Swanson.
The 28-year-old UFC featherweight laughed off MMAjunkie.com Radio host Brian "Goze" Garcia's notion to go with the moniker of "Cookie Monster" after posing for pictures with the furry, blue "Sesame Street" character during a celebratory trip to New York after his UFC on FX 4 victory over Ross Pearson this past weekend.
"I was very close to having the announcer announce me as 'Killer Cub,' but never got around to talking to him about it," said Swanson on Monday's edition of MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio), of the new nickname members in the Greg Jackson camp gave him.
The name seems fitting after "Cub" — born Kevin Luke Swanson, but who quickly earned the baby bear tag from his older brother while he was just an infant — scored a highlight-reel knockout against the English striker Friday night at the event that took place at Revel Atlantic City in New Jersey.
"That was my big opportunity to really showcase my skills," said Swanson (17-5 MMA, 2-1 UFC), who earned a $50,000 "Knockout of the Night" bonus for his victory over the "TUF 9" winner.
Following UFC 147, Alex Davis says Brazil's regional scene needs to fill UFC gap
This past weekend's UFC 147 was an interesting event. What started out as Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen II in a Sao Paulo soccer stadium ended up being Rich Franklin vs. Wanderlei Silva in Belo Horizonte.
And while some fans both in the U.S. and Brazil were complaining about the card, it still wound up setting the UFC attendance record for a Brazilian event.
In many ways, it's just the latest chapter for Brazil, and it's been an interesting experience to witness the rather odd and bumpy growth of mixed martial arts in the land where it was born. I say "odd" because even though this is an authentic Brazilian sport and has been taking place in some way or form for decades, it has constantly gone through phases of rising or falling notoriety. And throughout the sport's history, those differing growth patterns have been unique even in the various regions of Brazil.
For example, although Rio de Janeiro is now the current Brazilian MMA hot-spot according to most people (with many great names coming out of the city to gain fame on the international scene) I always say that the North and Northeast regions of Brazil are the "Jurassic Park" of the sport. You will find fighters out there with 40-plus fights to their name that no one from the outside world has ever even heard of.
UFC 147 ratings: Early reports peg FX's prelims broadcast at 969,000 viewers
This past weekend's "UFC 147 Prelims" special on FX averaged 969,000 viewers according to early ratings reports, MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) today confirmed with multiple industry sources.
That's down from the 1.3 million viewers who tuned in for May's "UFC 146 Prelims" special.
The two-hour UFC 147 broadcast featured four fights and preceded the night's pay-per-view main card, which aired live from Estadio Jornalista Felipe Drumond in Belo Horizonte, Brazil. Rodrigo Damm defeated fellow "The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil" competitor Anistavio "Gasparzinho" Medeiros via first-round submission in the special's featured broadcast.
Final ratings numbers for the "UFC 147 Prelims" special are expected later this week.
"TUF: Brazil" competitors Francisco "Massaranduba" Drinaldo, Hugo "Wolverine" Viana and Thiago "Bodao" Perpetuo also picked up wins on the "UFC 147 Prelims" special.
Nick Penner Injury Scraps Tom DeBlass from UFC on Fuel TV 4
With his opponent and fellow UFC neophyte Nick Penner injured, it was announced today that New Jersey local Tom DeBlass will not have a replacement opponent for UFC on Fuel TV 4. It was revealed by MMA Fighting earlier today that Penner was forced to pull out of his bout with DeBlass due to an injury. DeBlass later confirmed via a prepared statement on his facebook account that he would not be fighting at all on the July 11 card.
“I regretfully inform all of you that my fight in two weeks for UFC in San Jose is off,” DeBlass said in his statement. “I trained harder then ever and never felt better. My opponent Nick Penner had to pull out of the fight for an injury and the stars just did not align for July 11. I will be fighting again sometime before the end of the year most likely and hopefully closer to home. No one is more disappointed then me, I poured my heart and soul into this camp the last 10 weeks. However, I never go against God’s plans. The lessons I took from this camp are priceless, and when I do return I will be that much better. Thanks to my team and coaches for having my back. God Bless. I WILL be teaching tonight.”
George Roop out, Daniel Pineda meets Antonio Carvalho at UFC 149
Injuries continue to plague the UFC's July return to Canada.
Featherweight George Roop (12-9-1 MMA, 2-5 UFC) has suffered a training injury and has been forced out of his fight against vs. Antonio Carvalho (13-5 MMA, 0-1 UFC). Stepping in for Roop will be Daniel Pineda (17-8 MMA, 2-1 UFC).
UFC officials on Tuesday announced the change for the UFC 149 pay-per-view, which is set for July 21 at Scotiabank Saddledome in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. The card will be the UFC's first visit to the city, which is the third largest in Canada.
After 0-2 run, Pat Schilling says he's been cut by UFC
Featherweight Pat Schilling (5-2 MMA, 0-2 UFC) says he has been released by the UFC.
Schilling was working at Best Buy in the gaming department when he got the call from the UFC to take a short-notice fight with Daniel Pineda (17-8 MMA, 2-1 UFC) at UFC on FX 1 in Nashville, Tenn. Pineda, who also was making his UFC debut on short notice, made relative quick work of Schilling, forcing him to tap just 1:37 into the fight from a rear-naked choke.
Schilling got one more shot in the UFC earlier this month on the season-finale card for "The Ultimate Fighter Live." But against Max Holloway (5-1 MMA, 1-1 UFC), he was outmanned in the standup game and dropped a unanimous decision, losing 30-27 on all three judges' scorecards.
Vitor Belfort Calls Out Michael Bisping, Not Afraid of Jon Jones
Belfort Calls For Bisping Then Title Shot, Criticises Shogun, Not Afraid Of Jones - via SPORTV.COM (translated by Fighters Only)
“I guess Wanderlei will be able to fight in October but I only want that my next bout that accredits me to dispute the belt. I don’t know, maybe Michael Bisping. I was only defeated once recently, by Anderson Silva, and all my wins were very convincing.
“I don’t pick fights. There are people who say ‘If they give me this guy, I would rather be fired’! I was even talking about it with Dana White. How can anybody choose their fight? Obviously some managers force things for their athletes go up in the career but I want to make a fight that interests the public. I already am in the end of my career, so I want to do one more fight and go for the belt,” he said.
“Joe Rogan spoke with me that it makes all sense, unless Hector Lombard wins very well over Tim Boetsch. And Lorenzo Fertitta told me that I would dispute the title if I had beat Wanderlei.”
“I don’t know how long I will stay in this division. I wanted to do more two or three fights. If my body will no longer permit this big weight cutting, I will go up (to 205-lbs). I am not afraid of Jon Jones or somebody else... Its not for me to choose my opponents.”
Urijah Faber: 'I will be Renan Barao's toughest test, he won't be mine' at UFC 149
It wasn't the fight everyone had been looking forward to.
For months, mixed martial arts (MMA) fans had been anxiously awaiting the trilogy rubber match between Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) bantamweights Urijah Faber and Dominick Cruz, who coached opposite each on The Ultimate Fighter (TUF): "Live" on FX.
Unfortunately, that bout didn't come to fruition after Cruz badly injured his knee (having to have both his ACL and MCL repaired through surgery) during training. It was later announced that Faber would take on highly touted Brazilian prodigy Renan Barao for the interim Bantamweight Championship belt at UFC 149 in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, on July 21, 2012.
Faber isn't taking him lightly, based on his past level of competition, but he also feels like he's fought tougher:
I've definitely fought better fighters, but the guy's got the championship mentality. There's no doubt about that. This is gonna be his toughest test, but he's not gonna be my toughest test.
Will Silva vs. Sonnen II Rival UFC 100's Lesnar and GSP One-Two Punch?
“This isn’t one of the biggest sporting events of the summer; it’s one of the biggest sporting events of the year.”
That’s a fairly lofty claim by UFC president Dana White, considering it encompasses the Super Bowl, the NBA Finals, the World Series, and, this year, the Summer Olympics; but it is a claim he made.
The UFC is pulling out all the stops for the UFC 148 rematch between middleweight champion Anderson Silva and challenger Chael Sonnen, who square off July 7 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.
Not only is the UFC promoting it as its top event of the year, they’re also promoting a UFC Fan Expo around it and partnered with the city of Las Vegas for International Fight Week with a plethora of fan events all week long leading up the fight.
The biggest event ever in the promotion’s history to date was UFC 100, where Brock Lesnar defeated Frank Mir and Georges St-Pierre beat Thiago Alves.
UFC 100 reportedly pulled in 1.6 million pay-per-view buys, a live gate over $5 million, and drew just under 11,000 fans to the Mandalay Bay Events Center.
White expects UFC 148 to rival that event.
“There’s no doubt that we plan on doing over a million (PPV) buys here. We expect UFC 100 numbers,” he boldly predicted on Monday.
Michael Bisping Asks If Everyone Else Gets Rematches, Why Not Him?
If losing a fight is the worst feeling in the world, having to make that fateful call to UFC matchmaker Joe Silva to tell him you’re injured and pulling out of a fight might be a close second.
UFC middleweight Michael Bisping had to experience that first hand just a couple of weeks ago when he suffered a knee injury in training and was forced to pull out of his scheduled fight with Tim Boetsch at UFC 149.
Now more than a week after having the necessary knee surgery, Bisping is in as good of spirits as he can maintain after pulling out of a fight, the first time he’s done so in his six year UFC career.
“It was tough, it was really tough. I like to fight frequently and I don’t like to pull out of fights. It was hard,” Bisping told MMAWeekly.com about the decision.
UFC on FX 4's Ricardo Lamas plans recovery from injury, welcomes international fight
A jiu-jitsu session with a 200-pound training partner left UFC on FX 4's Ricardo Lamas (12-2 MMA, 3-0 UFC) with a rib injury that largely prevented him from training three weeks before the event.
While it crossed his mind to withdraw from a fight with Hatsu Hioki (26-5-2 MMA, 2-1 UFC), he ultimately decided against it.
"I was going to stick this out no matter what," Lamas today told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). "It was too good an opportunity for me. I just figured I would go out there and either come out with my shield or come out on my shield."
As it turned out, he made the right choice. After three rounds of action with the highly touted Japanese fighter, Lamas was ruled the winner by unanimous decision.
Chael Sonnen says UFC 148 meeting with champ Silva the biggest fight of the year
Before he followed Anderson Silva's lead and disappeared from a media call for UFC 148, Chael Sonnen was in full promotion mode.
He got shown up by the man he had claimed to carry for two years in the hype game, but before Silva (31-4 MMA, 14-0 UFC) uncharacteristically threatened him (and then was disconnected from the call), Sonnen (27-11-1 MMA, 6-4 UFC) made a claim that was characteristically as bold as it was doubtful.
"This is the biggest sporting event of the summer, and for a reason," Sonnen said. "I heard somebody else ... say, 'Well, what about the (2012) Olympic games?' I'm scratching my head. I love the Olympic games, but let's be fair – just because somebody has got the Olympics on in the background while their family is eating dinner isn't exactly the same.
Clay Guida unapologetic for strategy against Gray Maynard at UFC on FX 4
An hour after he lost to Gray Maynard on Friday, Clay Guida wasn't going to apologize for his performance.
Guida (29-13 MMA, 9-7 UFC) dropped a split decision to Maynard (11-1-1 MMA, 9-1-1 UFC) in the main event of UFC on FX 4. And though he started the fight as the clear fan favorite, he finished it to a chorus of boos – actual ones at Revel Atlantic City in New Jersey and plenty of the cyber variety from critics online.
Fans said Guida was "running." So did his boss, UFC president Dana White, who also compared Guida's game plan to "Dancing With the Stars." And Maynard? Well, he was so frustrated in the fight that twice he let a pair of double middle fingers fly in Guida's direction.
There may be a fine line in MMA between "running" away from an opponent and simply employing an effective game plan. Guida believes he and his team at Greg Jackson's camp executed the latter.