FUEL TV offers free preview week, UFC on FUEL TV 1 included
Still haven't made the commitment to adding FUEL TV to your cable lineup but looking for a way to watch next week's UFC on FUEL TV 1 event?
Don't worry, the new broadcast partner of the UFC has you covered.
FUEL TV officials recently announced that they are offering a free-preview week from Feb. 13 to Feb. 19, which means even non-subscribers can tune in to watch the Feb. 15 event.
Dustin Poirier vs. Chan Sung Jung headlines UFC on FX 3 in Virginia
A key featherweight matchup with real title implications is set for May 15, as Dustin Poirier (12-1 MMA, 4-0 UFC) meets Chan Sung Jung (12-3 MMA, 2-0 UFC) in the headlining bout of UFC on FX 3.
UFC officials today announced the three-round matchup, which takes place after the two fighters verbally jabbed at each other on Twitter.
As previously reported, UFC on FX 3 takes play May 15 at Patriot Center in Fairfax, Va. The event's main card airs live on FX, and FUEL TV is expected to air the preliminary card.
Champ Dominick Cruz vs. Urijah Faber III targeted for UFC 148 in Las Vegas
The trilogy bout between UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz (19-1 MMA, 2-0 UFC) and longtime rival Urijah Faber (26-5 MMA, 2-1 UFC) is targeted for UFC 148 on July 7 in Las Vegas.
That's according to UFC co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta, who was full of announcements overnight, posting the information on his Twitter account.
First, the two will square off as opposing coaches on the upcoming 15th season of "The Ultimate Fighter."
Mike Dolce-fueled Thiago Alves looks to further mounting title run at UFC on FX 2
Thiago Alves had his chance and blew it.
Regardless, there was no shame in losing a unanimous decision at UFC 100 to Georges St-Pierre in his only career title fight. If you've been in the 170-pound fray for as long as "Pitbull" has, chances are you've lost to the Canadian kingpin, too.
So with St-Pierre currently idle and interim champion Carlos Condit patiently waiting, the rest are free to jockey for position and string together title runs.
Jake Ellenberger and Johny Hendricks may have a 10-mile lead in the marathon, but Alves is at least competing in the race again following his submission win over Papy Abedi at UFC 138.
Alves (19-8 MMA, 11-5 UFC) and fellow contender Martin Kampmann (18-5 MMA, 9-4 UFC) will headline UFC on FX 2, which takes place March 3 at Allphones Arena in Sydney, Australia. Due to the time difference, the event takes place on Saturday afternoon in Australia, and the main card airs live on FX in North America on Friday, March 2.
Cain Velasquez vs. Frank Mir, Tito Ortiz vs. Forrest Griffin Confirmed by Lorenzo Fertitta
UFC co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta says Cain Velasquez vs. Frank Mir and Forrest Griffin vs. Tito Ortiz are coming.
Follow @MMAFighting on Twitter, and Like MMA Fighting on Facebook.
Feb 10, 2012 - In a wide-ranging late-night chat with his Twitter followers, UFC co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta confirmed several pieces of news, including plans to book Cain Velasquez vs. Frank Mir and Tito Ortiz vs. Forrest Griffin.
Fertitta, who has more than 76,000 followers on his verified Twitter account, said late Thursday night that he'd answer questions from fans. Among the pieces of information he provided are that Velasquez will fight Mir in a bout that may determine the No. 1 contender for the upcoming heavyweight title fight between Junior dos Santos and Alistair Overeem. Fertitta also said a third fight between Ortiz and Griffin is coming. Ortiz beat Griffin by split decision at UFC 59 in 2006, and Griffin beat Ortiz by split decision at UFC 106 in 2009.
NSAC: Diaz hearing possible for April, past multiple offenders issued yearlong suspension
The Nevada State Athletic Commission is likely to hear the case of Nick Diaz sometime in April, according to NSAC Executive Director Keith Kizer.
For now, Diaz is temporarily suspended following a disciplinary complaint filed by the NSAC to the Nevada Attorney General that states the fighter broke rule 467.850 of the commission's administrative code when he tested positive for marijuana metabolites following UFC 143.
At the NSAC's next meeting on Feb. 22, Kizer will ask the commission to uphold the temporary suspension until the formal hearing in April, where Diaz is expected to answer to the complaint.
Nick Diaz tests positive for marijuana metabolites, faces discipline following UFC 143
Carlos Condit and Nick Diaz may ultimately fight again someday, but it doesn't look like it will be anytime soon.
Former Strikeforce champion Diaz tested positive for marijuana metabolites following his controversial five-round clash with former WEC titleholder Condit at this past weekend's UFC 143 event.
That's according to Nevada State Athletic Commission executive director Keith Kizer, who today emailed the event's drug-testing results to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).
Diaz was one of 18 fighters on the card tested for performance-enhancing drugs and drugs of abuse. The remaining tests received to date have thus far all been negative.
Diaz will ultimately have to appear before the NSAC to address the failed screen. Barring a successful appeal, the offense will serve as Diaz's second infraction under the commission's watch. Diaz also tested positive for marijuana following a 2007 win over Takanori Gomi at PRIDE 33. Diaz was suspended for six months for that offense, and the result of the bout was changed to a no-contest.
Nick Diaz Test Positive For Marijuana
one minute ago:
NSAC announces Diaz tested positive for "marijuana metabolites, add that "a complaint for disciplinary action against Diaz has been filed."
EDIT: The Nevada Athletic Commission has confirmed that Nick Diaz tested positive for marijuana at UFC 143 and will face disciplinary action, almost certainly canceling his planned rematch with Carlos Condit and throwing his future into question.
"Mr. Diaz tested positive for marijuana metabolites. A complaint for disciplinary action against Mr. Diaz has been filed," Nevada Athletic Commission Executive Director Keith Kizer wrote in a statement distributed to the media.
Dan Henderson Doesn’t Want To Wait For Jones-Evans Winner After All
It turns out Dan Henderson doesn’t want to wait to fight the Jon Jones vs. Rashad Evans winner after all.
Dana White said last week that he did, but Hendo recently told ESPN he said no such thing.
“That was never what I said or anything. I don’t know who said that, but it wasn’t me. My thoughts were I was waiting to see what happened with Rashad [Evans] and Phil Davis. That was the only thing I was going to wait for.”
Nevada State Athletic Commission Confirms Positive Test at UFC 143
Feb 9, 2012 - The Nevada State Athletic Commission has confirmed that someone tested positive for a banned substance in drug testing at UFC 143. What has not yet been confirmed is who that someone was, or what that substance was.
In an e-mail to the media sent on Thursday, Nevada State Athletic Commission Executive Director Keith Kizer acknowledged that there has been great sustained interest in knowing what the results of drug tests were at UFC 143, and he confirmed that someone tested positive. But he declined to elaborate further than that.
"Thank you for the many email and phone calls. I am still waiting for all the steroid and drug test results to come back. We did have at least one positive test. I will send out an email later today on that matter," Kizer said in his e-mail, in which the word "many" was bolded.
UFC coming to Hawaii with or without BJ Penn
The UFC’s goal of landing in Hawaii is still happening, but not the way they wanted.
The promotion has long talked about landing on the island where MMA continues to be a thriving and very popular sport, but their best laid plans took a hit last October.
According to UFC President Dana White, the plan for the UFC’s first ever show in Hawaii was to have former lightweight and welterweight champion B.J. Penn headline a card at the Aloha Bowl.
Unfortunately when Penn lost to Nick Diaz at UFC 137 last October, the Hawaiian has opted to take some much needed time off and it threw a bit of a monkey wrench into their plans.
“We’re still working on that, but we want to do it. I was kind of hoping to go to Hawaii again and do a B.J. (Penn) fight at the Aloha Bowl, but B.J. wants to take some time off. He’s going to relax for a while,” White revealed about the UFC going to Hawaii.
Igor Pokrajac Replaces Brandon Vera, Faces Thiago Silva At UFC On FX 3
It appears that Brandon Vera jumped the gun when he informed the UFC that he was ready to fight and wanted a rematch with the recently-reinstated Thiago Silva for his next bout. Although matchmaker Joe Silva granted Vera's request and booked the rematch for UFC on FX 3 in Virginia on May 15th, Vera went to the doctor after the fight was agreed-to only to find out that he could not be cleared to fight yet. Vera later apologized to the fans and the UFC for getting ahead of himself, but Joe Silva was already busy finding a replacement for Vera and now it appears he has one in Igor Pokrajac, according to a report from MMA Weekly:
With Brandon Vera sidelined due to injury, Thiago Silva will now face Croatian Igor Pokrajac at UFC on FX 3 in May. Sources close to the fight confirmed the new bout to MMAWeekly.com on Tuesday with bout agreements issued for the May 15 light heavyweight tilt.
Carlos Condit vs. Nick Diaz II already a no-go, says Cesar Gracie
Almost as soon as it seemed a reality, a rematch between Nick Diaz and Carlos Condit is not happening.
When contacted today by MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com), Diaz manager Cesar Gracie said "no" when asked if a rematch recently announced is a reality. He declined further comment.
UFC president Dana White issued a tweet late Tuesday that said Condit had accepted a rematch with Diaz and was headed to Las Vegas on Friday, presumably, to finalize a contract for the fight.
Condit manager Malki Kawa did not respond to a request for comment on the status of the bout but today confirmed the rematch via Twitter.
Donald Cerrone vs. Yves Edwards added to May's UFC on FX 3 event
An intriguing lightweight contest between Donald Cerrone (17-4 MMA, 4-1 UFC) and Yves Edwards (41-18-1 MMA, 9-4 UFC) has been added to May's UFC on FX 3 event.
The new booking was announced on Tuesday's new episode of "UFC Tonight" on FUEL TV.
UFC on FX 3 takes place May 15 at the Patriot Center in Fairfax, Va. The night's main card airs on FX.
Condit Accepts Rematch with Diaz
At the post-fight press conference, UFC President Dana White said he was open to the possibility of a rematch, but made it clear that both parties had to be eager to fight. As Diaz was so maddened by the decision that he announced his retirement immediately post-bout in the Octagon, and because yesterday Condit's camp indicated they were not interested, there was little hope that the rematch would be made.
However, sources close to the deal just confirmed with The Underground that Carlos Condit has accepted a rematch with Nick Diaz, with the UFC Interim Welterweight title again on the line.
Spike TV counter-programs UFC on FUEL TV 1 with Diego Sanchez 'Unleashed' marathon
In its latest counter-programming move, Spike TV will air a Diego Sanchez fight marathon opposite next week's UFC on FUEL TV 1 event.
Sanchez headlines the Feb. 15 event, which airs live on FUEL TV, in a welterweight bout with fast-rising contender Jake Ellenberger.
During the event time, Spike TV airs a five-hour "UFC Unleashed: Diego Sanchez" marathon featuring the fighter's past UFC bouts.