Jeff Curran signs multi-fight deal with UFC
"Big Frog" is returning to the UFC.
More than seven years and exactly 26 fights since his lone trip to the octagon, 33-year-old bantamweight Jeff Curran (33-13-1 MMA, 0-1 UFC) has signed a multi-fight deal to return the UFC.
MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) today learned of the signing from sources close to the fighter.
He's expected to fight at a fall UFC event.
'Axe Murderer' coach: Wanderlei Silva still has the potential to become champion again
"Nobody said it directly to Wanderlei, that he won't fight anymore. Wanderlei is in Brazil now, he'll return to the United States this week, and he's coming to train here. He wants to fight again. He trained his whole life and suffered many injuries as any other athlete, but they're all healed. He's with a good body, stronger than ever. He's Wanderlei, he'll never give up. That's the main thing about him. And there's no reasons for him to do that. He's reached what every athlete wants to. I'm not saying this as his coach, I'm saying this as a guy who watched him growing in the sport. He has the potential to become champion again, it's all about timing."
- Rafael Cordeiro
UFC 138 Leben vs Munoz to Air on Spike TV
The UFC returns to the United Kingdom on November 5th for UFC 138 at the LG Arena in Birmingham, England. The card is headlined by Chris Leben and Mark Munoz in what could be considered a title eliminator for the Middleweight belt. Chris Leben has bounced back from the devastating knockout loss at the hands of Brian Stann at UFC 125 with a sensational knockout of Wanderlei Silva at UFC 132. Mark Munoz is currently on a three fight win streak that includes wins over C.B. Dollaway and Demian Maia. Today, Spike TV made it official when they sent out a press release stating they'd be the outlet for airing the event.
Matt Riddle welcomes newcomer Lance Benoist at UFC Fight Night 25
It took a little while, but Lance Benoist finally has a date for his octagon debut.
After signing a multi-fight deal with the UFC this past month, Benoist (5-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) is scheduled to fight Matt Riddle (5-2 MMA, 5-2 UFC) at "UFC Fight Night 25: Battle on the Bayou."
UFC officials today announced the bout, though its placement on the event's fight card was not made official.
Paul Bradley steps in to fight Rafael Natal at UFC 133
Paul Bradley (16-2 MMA, 0-0 UFC), who made a brief appearance on "The Ultimate Fighter 7" before doctors pulled him from the show with a contagious skin condition, has verbally agreed to fight Rafael "Sapo" Natal (12-3-1 MMA, 0-1-1 UFC) at UFC 133.
Natal was today left without an opponent when his originally scheduled charge, Constantinos Phillippou, was promoted to a main card fight with Jorge Rivera in the wake of a doomed bout with Alessio Sakara.
"UFC 134: Silva vs. Okami" official with 12 bouts
The fight card for next month's "UFC 134: Silva vs. Okami" event is now official with 12 bouts.
UFC officials recently confirmed a bout MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) previously reported between featherweight prospect Felipe Arantes (13-3 MMA, 0-0 UFC) and Yuri Alcantara (24-3 MMA, 0-0 UFC).
All fights now have been announced for the Aug. 27 event.
UFC President Dana White: We Always Planned to Come Back to Denver
The Ultimate Fighting Championship began in Denver nearly 20 years ago, but the promotion hasn’t operated a pay-per-view event in the Mile High City since “The Ultimate Ultimate” in 1995. Zuffa, the UFC’s parent company, wasn’t even the owner back then.
UFC president Dana White, in an exclusive interview with MMAWeekly.com, says that the company he is part owner of, alongside Frank and Lorenzo Fertitta, has long been on a course to return to Denver, but they wanted to do it the right way.
Article includes video of Dana talking of the return to Denver.
Rampage irritated with everyone trying to wrestle him. Wants someone who will "come to fight"
Both sides of this issue are very understandable... Rampage wants someone to let him throw his hands because he sees this as a chance to entertain fans and have some fun, but if I was in a cage with that mad man I would try to hold him down for as long as I can.. anything to keep those cinderblocks he calls hands away from me.
"Jackson is also quite adamant that he feels Jones will execute the same game plan Evans had. He's already attempting to avoid that by engaging in a bit of psychological warfare in challenging "Bones'" manhood if he does, in fact, make it wrestlemania in Denver on Sept. 24 at UFC 135."
John Hathaway vs. Pascal Krauss set for UFC 138 in England
German UFC prospect Pascal Krauss (10-0 MMA, 1-0 UFC) will put his unblemished mark on the line against the once-beaten John Hathaway (15-1 MMA, 5-1 UFC) at UFC 138.
Hathaway on Friday broke news of the matchup via his official Twitter account, and MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has since confirmed that verbal agreements are in place.
UFC 138 takes place Nov. 5 at the 16,000-seat LG Arena at the National Exhibition Centre in Birmingham, England.
UFC 133: Rich Franklin turned down a fight against Alexander Gustafsson
When Rich Franklin was taken off the UFC 133 fight card, it was widely believed the promotion was unable to find him a suitable replacement for the injured Antonio Rogerio Nogueira on the Aug. 6 pay-per-view (PPV) in Philadelphia.
Turns out he had a suitable replacement, he just didn't want to fight him, because he wasn't a "top name guy."
Ready to step in was Alexander Gustafsson, the 24-year-old prospect out of Alliance and Gladius MMA who's lost just once in his budding professional career. That defeat came at the hands of fellow rising contender Phil Davis back at UFC 112 in Abu Dhabi, a second round submission (anaconda choke).
UFC Signs Pennsylvania-based featherweight, Jim "The Kid" Hettes
The UFC has signed undefeated Pennsylvania-based featherweight, Jim "The Kid" Hettes (8-0), to a contract according to his hometown newspaper, The Citizen's Voice.
The 24 year-old is a BJJ and judo specialist and has finished all eight of his opponents by submission, with six of those submissions happening in the first round.
Dominick Cruz vs Demetrious Johnson title fight set for free TV at UFC on Versus 6
Good news, fight fans.
The UFC will offer a title fight on free television for the first time since Sept. 2007 when Quinton Jackson defended his light heavyweight title against Dan Henderson at UFC 75 on Spike TV.
This time it will be Bantamweight Champion Dominick Cruz putting his strap on the line against Demetrious Johnson at UFC on Versus 6, which is set for Oct. 1 in Washington D.C.
NBCSports.com brought word of the pending match-up a short time ago.
Jon Fitch Speaks His Mind: 'I'm Irritated' (Also goes off on Nick Diaz)
UFC welterweight Jon Fitch is normally pretty calm and doesn't talk a lot of trash, but he recently did an interview with MMACanada.net where he doesn't hold back at all. He discusses why he didn't get the fight with B.J. Penn at UFC 137, then goes on to trash Nick Diaz and explain that he's sick of being passed over. It's quite possibly the best Jon Fitch interview I've ever seen. He starts with the Penn situation:
"Well, you know...BJ's healthy and I'm not. They wanted to get him active and be active, because he kinda has a lot of buzz on him right now, and they can't schedule me a fight, being injured. I know they won't sign me until I get cleared by the doctor, which is gonna be August 9th, I mean August 16th. So I'm kinda in no man's land. I tried to save the fight and I tried to wedge myself in there and make sure I didn't get skipped over, because I was injured and I didn't want to get forgotten about. You know, through twitter.