Dana White says Mark Hunt turned down fight with Junior dos Santos
According to UFC president Dana White, there's a very good reason Mark Hunt isn't meeting Junior dos Santos in May - Hunt turned down the fight.
This is going to take some heat out of the rally for Mark Hunt. Despite what Hunt said on twitter last night about wanting to take a UFC 160 bout with former UFC heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos, Dana White said that it was actually Hunt that turned down the bout. Here was the exchange with a fan on twitter:
Dana White :@danawhite
@NickFury16 @markhunt1974 with his win last week he broke into the top 10. He will get a top 10 fight but as of last nite he turned down JDS
MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani elaborated a bit on the situation, saying he spoke to Hunt, but he's not saying anything:
Ariel Helwani :@arielhelwani
According to @danawhite's twitter, @markhunt1974 "turned down" the JDS fight. Just spoke to Hunt, he declined to comment on the situation.
UFC 158 press call: Nick Diaz rips Georges St. Pierre
Nick Diaz: Everyone knows who I am. It's embarrassing not being in control of looking the way you look or coming off the way you want to come off. I'm happy for it when I'm ready for it. My life's a mess. I'm not afraid to admit it. I work hard regardless through this shit. I don't have people handing me water bottles left and right. I have to do that shit on my own and every day I know that I'm doing it on my own and that's why I know I've got to do it that much harder. I don't have people taking care of my money and my financial obligations what have you. All that stuff that people say is important, fuck that. I'm too busy fighting your fights. This new martial arts works for them when it comes to everybody wantitng to be like GSP and want to be strong and have that fitness and be more explosive and quicker. It's really not what martial arts is about. This is mixed martial arts and that' swhat fans want to see. I've lost a shit load of fights but I'm still here. People want to see real boxing, real traditional jiu-jitsu mixed up. They don't want to see five minutes of holding. I think people should be point deducted for it or running away. You should have to punch me out to beat me. People should be able to see that a little better. Maybe one day.
I hope so, if I had that much money I'd be pampered the fuck up. There's be people showing up every hour to pamper me the fuck out. Mother fucker I'm not stupid. I can tell what's what.
Georges St. Pierre: Uneducated fool. Listen to me. You sound pretty smart right now. I'm not always been like this. I've not always been rich. I started form the bottom. I worked really hard to be where I am right now. I know you don't believe this because you didn't succeed yet and maybe you didn't succeed I your life because I don't think you're smart enough to understand to reach this point. When you talk about people doing things for me, you need people to work for you to get the money rolling.
After UFC 160 scratch, Alistair Overeem vs. JDS now likely in summer
Although an undisclosed injury has forced Alistair Overeem (36-12 MMA, 1-1 UFC) out of May's UFC 160 lineup, it appears UFC officials will simply delay his bout with fellow heavyweight contender Junior dos Santos (15-2 MMA, 9-1 UFC).
MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) passed along news of Overeem's withdrawal from the May 25 event on Wednesday.
Overnight, UFC President Dana White suggested a replacement won't be sought...
Alistair Overeem injured, out of UFC 160 fight against Junior dos Santos
Fans will have to wait a little longer to see Alistair Overeem vs. Junior dos Santos.
According to sources close to Overeem, the heavyweight recently suffered an undisclosed injury while training, which will sideline him for four-to-five weeks. As a result, Overeem's camp recently informed the UFC that he will be unable to fight dos Santos at UFC 160 on May 25.
Unbeaten 135-pounders Johnny Bedford and Erik Perez meet at UFC 159
Two fighters unbeaten in the UFC's bantamweight division will meet in April when Johnny Bedford (19-9-1 MMA, 2-0 UFC) takes on Erik Perez (13-4 MMA, 3-0 UFC) at UFC 159.
Bedford today announced the fight via Twitter.
UFC 159 takes place April 27 at Prudential Center in Newark, N.J. The main card, including a main event between light heavyweight champion Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen, airs on pay-per-view following prelims on FX and Facebook.
It's not clear where Bedford vs. Perez will be placed on the lineup.
The latest UFC 159 card includes:
Champ Jon Jones vs. Chael Sonnen - for light-heavyweight title
Alan Belcher vs. Michael Bisping
Phil Davis vs. Vinny Magalhaes
Pat Healy vs. Jim Miller
Cheick Kongo vs. Roy Nelson
Sheila Gaff vs. Sara McMann
Johnny Bedford vs. Erik Perez
Nick Catone vs. James Head
Jimy Hettes vs. Steven Siler
Leonard Garcia vs. Cody McKenzie
Al Iaquinta vs. Joe Proctor
Ovince St. Preux vs. Gian Villante
Rustam Khabilov vs. Yancy Medeiros
Thiago Silva vs. Rafael 'Feijao' Cavalcante planned for UFC 162
Earlier today it was effectively confirmed that Anderson Silva will fight Chris Weidman in the main event of UFC 162. There's more news coming in that another Silva is expected to fight on this card, as Thiago Silva fights Rafael Cavalcante on July 6th, in a battle of powerful strikers. Via MMA Fighting:
The former Strikeforce light heavyweight champion is expected to meet Thiago Silva at UFC 162 on July 6 in Las Vegas, according to sources close to the fight. The UFC has yet to make the fight official.
Renan Barao vs. Eddie Wineland official as UFC 161 headliner
A title fight between interim bantamweight champion Renan Barao (30-1 MMA, 5-0 UFC) and former WEC bantamweight champ Eddie Wineland (20-8-1 MMA, 2-2 UFC) will headline UFC 161.
Sources with knowledge of the planned bout told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that it has been verbally agreed to on one side. ESPN initially tweeted news of the fight today while citing UFC President Dana White.
UFC officials later issued a formal announcement.
UFC 161 takes place June 15 at MPS Centre in Winnipeg and is the promotion's first visit to the Manitoba province in Canada. Already booked for the event are Rashad Evans vs. Dan Henderson, Antonio Rogerio Nogueira vs. Mauricio "Shogun" Rua, and Jake Shields-Tyron Woodley.
Anderson Silva vs. Chris Weidman set for UFC 162 headliner
As expected, UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva (33-4 MMA, 16-0 UFC) will meet top contender Chris Weidman (9-0 MMA, 5-0 UFC) on Independence Day weekend at UFC 162.
MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) previously passed along news of the targeted bout, and Newsday.com today confirmed it as official with UFC CEO Lorenzo Fertitta....
Injured Johnny Eduardo pulled from next week's UFC 158 lineup
An injury has forced Johnny Eduardo (26-9 MMA, 1-1 UFC) out of next week's UFC 158 event and his bantamweight bout with Yves Jabouin (18-8 MMA, 3-2 UFC).
UFC officials today announced the change, though the nature of Eduardo's injury wasn't revealed.
It's not clear if a replacement will be sought, though with just 10 days until the event, it could be a challenge.
NSAC's Keith Kizer: 'I don't see Vitor Belfort getting a TRT exemption from us'
If Vitor Belfort wants to continue his mixed martial arts (MMA) career while receiving testosterone replacement therapy (TRT), he'll have to do it somewhere other than "Sin City," which just so happens to be home base of his employer, Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC).
That's because "The Phenom" doesn't meet the requirements for the controversial treatment under the guidelines of the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC). Any fighter previously popped for steroid abuse -- which is a contributing factor to low testosterone later on in life -- is immediately disqualified.
NSAC Executive Director Keith Kizer comments to Bleacher Report:
"I don't see Vitor Belfort getting a TRT exemption from us. I really don't and I feel kind of bad for him in some ways because if he has learned from his mistakes and now he's trying to do it the right way and his levels are low with the treatment good for him and I hope he is doing that. The rules are the rules and you have to draw the line somewhere."
Dave Meltzer: Ronda Rousey is the number five PPV draw in UFC
The early estimate for the UFC 157 PPV buy rate is in the 400,000-500,000 range, more or less in the middle of that range. Dave claims UFC budgeted itself for 250,000 PPV buys for the Anaheim Pond event, hoping that Ronda would draw around what the smaller fighters like Jose Aldo & Frankie Edgar draw. Drawing 250,000 PPV buys is fine, 300,000 is good, and 400,000 is very good.
“A big success” even though “it’s still Liz Carmouche in the main event.” Both women made north of $150,000 USD in terms of money from the fight.
When Dave first saw the original PPV barker ad for the UFC 157 show (the now infamous Rousey mean/smile combo ad), he said it hit him that it’s two girls fighting and that it wasn’t going to draw so well. The early ticket sales in Anaheim were around 4,000 sold for $600,000 at the gate. However, unlike normal UFC business trends, the event ended up sold out and had more momentum for the close...