White says gay UFC fighters should come out
UFC president Dana White said last week he believes there are probably several gay fighters among the ranks of the more than 300 the company has under contract and added that he wishes at least one of them came out of the closet and identified himself.
White strongly defended his human rights record against attacks from the Culinary Workers Union, which attempted to paint him as anti-gay. The culinary union has been engaged in a battle with White and the UFC for several years, largely because the casinos in Las Vegas owned by UFC co-owners Lorenzo and Frank Fertitta are non-union. The union, which so far has been successful in lobbying the New York legislature to block the UFC’s attempt to get mixed martial arts legalized in the state, has created websites and written letters to UFC advertisers, painting it as unfit for children and anti-gay.
White said he is not anti-gay and said he regretted using a crude word to describe a homosexual in a 2009 rant against a female reporter who had angered him.
“If you guys look at all of the things I’ve said over the last 10 years, some of it is stupid, some of it is whatever, but that’s the one that bothers me,” White said of the use of the slur in 2009. “It’s the only one that bothers me, the fact that these losers from the culinary union can go out and say I’m a homophobe and things like that. That’s the furthest thing from the truth.
Anderson Silva: "ill fight for another six or seven years"
VIA Bj Penn's twitter page:
Direct quote: “I’ll fight for another six or seven years and then I’ll stop. I stopped to think about it and I’ll postpone my retirement for a little longer. Then I’ll think about TV. I guess it’s interesting,”
if he can stay in his prime for that much longer, finger crossed, then we should be able to see more than enough of all the match-ups everyone is dying to see
Vitor Belfort vs. Anthony Johnson slated for UFC 142 in Brazil
A intriguing middleweight bout between Vitor Belfort (20-9 MMA, 9-4 UFC) and former welterweight Anthony Johnson (10-3 MMA, 7-3 UFC) will be part of January's UFC 142 card.
UFC officials today announced that verbal agreements are in place for the fight.
UFC 142 takes place Jan. 14 in Brazil, and Belfort vs. Johnson will be part of a main card expected to air on pay-per-view.
Despite tape-delayed main card, UFC 138 prelims stream live on Facebook
Although Saturday's UFC 138 main card airs via same-day delay on Spike TV, the event's preliminary card will stream live and for free on Facebook.
The six-bout lineup begins at 5:30 p.m. GMT local time (12:30 p.m. ET/9:30 a.m. PT).
Featured preliminary-card bouts include the likes of light heavyweights Cyrille Diabate (17-7-1 MMA, 2-1 UFC) vs. Anthony Perosh (11-6 MMA, 1-3 UFC), welterweights Justin Edwards (7-1 MMA, 1-1 UFC) vs. John Maguire (16-3 MMA, 0-0 UFC), and featherweights Michihiro Omigawa (12-10-1 MMA, 0-4 UFC) vs. Jason Young (8-4 MMA, 0-1 UFC).
Fox And DirecTV Reach An Agreement, UFC Not In Jeopardy
Last week I reported that DirecTV had sent a letter to the FCC in response to Fox's continual airing of misleading commercials. The complaint essentially was to let the FCC know that Fox is no longer fit to be a network and should not receive the same considerations as CBS/NBC/ABC. The Fox suite of channels including FX, Fuel, and Fox Soccer Channel were set to be pulled from the carrier today until a deal could be reached. Last night the two sides reached to an agreement and customers will not be losing their channels.
"Fox Networks and DIRECTV have reached an agreement for DIRECTV to continue carrying all Fox Networks (including FX, National Geographic Channel, Nat Geo WILD, SPEED, FUEL TV, FOX Soccer, FOX Soccer Plus and FOX Deportes), Fox's regional sports networks, Fox Broadcasting (FOX), the FOX local stations, Fox News Channel and Fox Business Network," DirecTV expressed in a statement. "We both know the past ten days have been challenging, but we're pleased that both sides could eventually come together to ensure our viewers continue to enjoy Fox programming."
UFC 138 loses Taylor-Njokuani; Diabate-Perosh promoted to main card
UFC 138 has lost a main-card bout.
Lightweight Paul Taylor (11-6-1 MMA, 4-5 UFC) has suffered an undisclosed injury and has been forced out of his main-card bout with Anthony Njokuani (14-5 MMA, 1-1 UFC), MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has confirmed with event sources.
A light-heavyweight bout between Cyrille Diabate (17-7-1 MMA, 2-1 UFC) and Anthony Perosh (11-6 MMA, 1-3 UFC) has taken its spot on the main card.
Njokuani will be rebooked for a later event.
Manager: Carlos Condit Mad at Georges St-Pierre, Not UFC, for Losing Title Fight
Malki Kawa had a bad feeling when he heard his phone ring and looked at the caller ID. It was then that he realized UFC president Dana White was on the other line. UFC 137 had just ended 30 minutes earlier, and it was already after midnight on the east coast. It was not a time for mindless chit-chat. It was a time for serious business.
As is his style, White cut to the chase. Georges St-Pierre no longer wanted to fight Kawa's client Carlos Condit next. Instead, the UFC welterweight champ wanted to fight Nick Diaz, the winner of UFC 137's main event. We all now know the outcome. St-Pierre got the fight he wanted, and he'll be fighting Diaz in early February. Condit? He wasn't too happy, and he didn't exactly "step aside" as White told the media at the post-fight press conference.
Aldo to defend UFC title against Mendes at UFC 142 in Brazil
Fighting in his home country of Brazil, Jose Aldo will defend his UFC Featherweight Title Jan. 14 in UFC 142 against undefeated fighter Chad Mendes, FOXSports.com has learned.
The fight will pair Aldo’s electrifying style, one punctuated by ferocious flying knees and lighting-quick submissions, against a nuanced ground game Mendes honed as an NCAA Division I wrestler.
Manny Gamburyan vs Diego Nunes Back On for UFC 141
From the let’s try this again file, former ‘Ultimate Fighter’ winner Manny Gamburyan will meet Diego Nunes at UFC 141 in December.
The pair were originally scheduled to meet at UFC 135 in September, but injuries put both fighters on the sidelines and off the card.
UFC officials announced the pair had accepted the fight once again, this time at UFC 141.
TUF Brazil Confirmed, Anderson Silva and Vitor Belfort Reportedly Set To Coach
The UFC has confirmed that they will stage a season of the The Ultimate Fighter outside of Las Vegas for the first time, and it will be in Brazil. Today, a report from Brazilian media giant Globo pegged down when it will take place and who the coaches will be: UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva and former opponent Vitor Belfort. Filming is set to begin in March, and Globo, the people who put out the report, are set to produce the show. Here's a rough translation:
After the announcement of the broadcast of UFC fights by Rede Globo, a new feature promises to stir the market's national MMA. The month of March 2012 will mark the debut of the reality TUF (The Ultimate Fighter) in Brazil.
UFC 137 salaries
Nick Diaz: $200,000 (no win bonus)
def. B.J. Penn: $150,000
Cheick Kongo: $140,000 (includes $70,000 win bonus)
def. Matt Mitrione: $10,000
Roy Nelson: $40,000 (includes $20,000 win bonus)
def. Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic: $75,000
Scott Jorgensen: $33,000 (includes $16,500 win bonus)
def. Jeff Curran: $8,000
Hatsu Hioki: $30,000 (includes $15,000 win bonus)
def. George Roop: $8,000
Donald Cerrone: $54,000 (includes $27,000 win bonus)
def. Dennis Siver: $27,000
Bart Palaszewski: $28,500 (includes $10,000 win bonus)*
def. Tyson Griffin: $25,500*
Brandon Vera: $120,000 (includes $60,000 win bonus)
def. Eliot Marshall: $15,000
Ramsey Nijem: $20,000 (includes $10,000 win bonus)
def. Danny Downes: $4,000
Francis Carmont: $12,000 (includes $6,000 win bonus)
def. Chris Camozzi: $8,000
Clifford Starks: $12,000 (includes $6,000 win bonus)
def. Dustin Jacoby: $6,000
* - Although not recognized on the official pay sheet, Griffin was fined $8,500 for missing weight for the fight, and contracts were reworked with those amounts. That money was issued to Palaszewski, an NSAC official confirmed with MMAjunkie.com. Otherwise, Griffin would have made $34,000 and Palaszewski would have made $20,000
Assuncao: 99-Percent Chance I’ll Fight Pearson at UFC 141
Junior Assuncao thinks he will be the one to welcome “The Ultimate Fighter” Season 9 winner Ross Pearson to the UFC featherweight at the promotion’s year-end pay-per-view event.
The Brazilian fighter Monday told Sherdog.com that he is nearly certain UFC officials will grant his wish for a fight with the Englishman at UFC 141, which takes place Dec. 30 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.
“We haven’t signed yet, but I can say it’s a 99-percent chance that this fight will happen,” Assuncao told Sherdog.com. “I asked the UFC to face Pearson when I found out he was dropping to 145 pounds. He’s already telling everyone that he’ll fight me and I will welcome him.”
Manager: Demian Maia Wants to Fight Jake Shields at 185
Jake Shields hasn't had the best year so far inside the cage, and there has been some minor speculation that he might like to return to middleweight after two losses in a row at welterweight. While there's no shame at all in losing to Georges St. Pierre and Jake Ellenberger, especially with the fact that he had to deal with the death of his manager and father going into the second fight, it is believed the former Strikeforce middleweight champion might be a better fit up at 185. If that is the case, Demian Maia's manager Eduardo Alonzo told Tatame that he wants his fighter to get the first crack at Shields:
"It’s a personal desire, but I guess it’d be a good fight, an interesting challenge for Demian. For his record and skills as a fighter, I’m guessing it’d be interesting", said the manager to TATAME.
UFC 137's Bart Palaszewski 'disrespected' when opponent missed weight
Prior to their fight at UFC 137, Bart Palaszewski issued an edict to opponent Tyson Griffin to "come and fight."
Concerned Griffin (15-6 MMA, 8-4 UFC) might try to turn the bout into a wrestling match, Palaszewski (36-14 MMA, 1-0 UFC) used his pre-fight interviews to goad the fellow featherweight into a standup fight.
But on the eve of the event, his focus instead shifted to Griffin's failure to even make weight for the event.
And Palaszewski made him pay.
Donald Cerrone vs. Nate Diaz targeted for UFC 141 in Las Vegas
A clash of hard-swinging lightweights is likely headed to the UFC's year-end show.
Multiple sources close to the event today informed MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that Donald Cerrone (17-3 MMA 4-0 UFC) and Nate Diaz (14-7 MMA, 9-5 UFC) have verbally agreed to meet at UFC 141.
UFC 141 takes place Dec. 30 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.
Cerrone vs. Diaz is expected to be part of the event's main card, which airs live on pay-per-view. As MMAjunkie.com first reported, the event also gets a two-fight "UFC Prelims" special on Spike TV.
The latest UFC 141 card now includes:
Brock Lesnar vs. Alistair Overeem
Donald Cerrone vs. Nate Diaz
Jon Fitch vs. Johny Hendricks
Alexander Gustafsson vs. Vladimir Matyushenko
Dong Hyun Kim vs. Sean Pierson
T.J. Grant vs. Jacob Volkmann
Clean-shaven Roy Nelson not dwelling on the past after UFC 137 win
Roy Nelson wore a fat suit to Friday's UFC 137 weigh-ins because fans shouldn't get to see half-naked people for free.
After a much-needed victory that sent MMA legend Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic into retirement, Nelson shaved his Grizzly Adams beard and trimmed a nest of hair so people like me would have something to write about.
In other words, Roy Nelson (16-6 MMA, 3-2 UFC) hasn't changed a bit.
"The Ultimate Fighter 10" winner, who had suffered back-to-back losses (and was one more away from receiving his UFC walking papers), staved off the termination with a third-round TKO victory over Filipovic (27-10-2 MMA, 4-6 UFC). The bout was part of the pay-per-view main card of UFC 137, which took place at Las Vegas' Mandalay Bay Events Center.
UFC 137's Cheick Kongo aiming for rematch with 'lucky' champ Cain Velasquez
Slow and steady wins the race, though fighting ugly does little to win fans.
Cheick Kongo knows Saturday's UFC 137 co-main-event win over Matt Mitrione wasn't a signature or highlight-reel win that dazzled fans, but it served its purpose.
It got him one step closer to a rematch with champ Cain Velasquez, whom Kongo said was "lucky" in their first meeting.
Kongo (17-6-2 MMA, 10-4-1 UFC) earned a unanimous-decision victory over the previously unbeaten Mitrione (5-1 MMA, 5-1 UFC) in the pay-per-view co-headliner of UFC 137, which took place at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas. An action-light first round was showered in boos, though Kongo picked up the pace for an effective third round that led to the victory.
"Most of the time, when I win a fight, I can say it was exciting," Kongo told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) after the event. "But I was kind of slow.
"I was expecting to exchange more than I did tonight. I wanted to see what he would do specifically. The last round, I just decided to go for it."
Despite lopsided UFC 137 win, Diaz unhappy with performance, training, finances
While former Strikeforce champ Nick Diaz (26-7 MMA, 7-4 UFC) certainly didn't have the best first round of his professional career on Saturday night, he rebounded over the final 10 minutes in an epic beatdown of MMA legend B.J. Penn.
UFC president Dana White called the performance "awesome," and labeled both Diaz and Penn "warriors."
It's everything Diaz could have hoped for in his octagon return and yet it sounds as if it was nothing that he wanted. In fact, at Saturday night's post-event press conference, Diaz admitted he simply wasn't happy – about just about anything, really.
"I'm not happy with my performance at all," Diaz said of his win over Penn, which served as the main event of Saturday's UFC 137 event in Las Vegas. "I wasn't 100 percent today. I felt good, but just leading up to this fight, I went through a lot of hard times."
UFC boss complimentary of 'Cro Cop,' uncertain if Penn's retirement will stick
Saturday night's UFC 137 event may very well have marked the final fights in the careers of two MMA legends.
That said, UFC president Dana White isn't 100 percent certain both Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic (27-10-2 MMA, 4-6 UFC) and B.J. Penn (16-8-2 MMA, 12-7-2 UFC) have entered the cage for the final time.
"B.J. is a warrior," White said. "What happened to him tonight has never happened to him in his entire career. What he's thinking tonight he might not think eight weeks from now."
A battered Penn told UFC broadcaster Joe Rogan he was done fighting after being demolished in the final two rounds of his main-event contest with Nick Diaz at Las Vegas' Mandalay Bay Events Center. A CompuStrike report pegged the final striking tally at 239-76 in Diaz's favor, and while his right eye bore the marks of a war, it paled in comparison to the damage on Penn's face.
White admitted he didn't speak to Penn following the fight, but he's not completely convinced that at just 32 years old, "The Prodigy" is done competing.
"They took B.J. right to the hospital," White told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "Who knows. It might be or it might not be (Penn's last fight). That's up to him. I don't know."