Rich Franklin Considered Using Testosterone Replacement
Former UFC Middleweight champion Rich Franklin has given some thought to using testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) according to an interview with MMA Fighting. Franklin, who will turn 38 in October, faces Wanderlei Silva in the headliner of this month's UFC 147 in Brazil.
Franklin spoke to Ariel Helwani on the MMA Hour (video after the jump) and admitted he has investigated the possibility of going on TRT as a means of remaining competitive as he ages.
Here's what Ace had to say:
"Yeah, I've kicked around that idea and everything, and actually I've talked to doctors that work with the UFC and the athletic commission in Nevada and all that kind of stuff. And at 37, my count obviously is not what it was when I was 25, and I'm a candidate for that kind of stuff. I haven't started yet."
UFC on FX 4's Ramsey Nijem working wrestling for reunion fight against C.J. Keith
Ramsey Nijem saw the picture and knew the guy looked familiar.
It was C.J. Keith, who had just signed with the UFC. And even though Nijem jokes that a few shots to the noggin sometimes have him wrong, he was positive he and Keith had crossed paths before.
"We went to a wrestling camp in high school together," Nijem recently told MMAjunkie.com Radio. "And I remember seeing his picture after he got signed by the UFC, and I was like, 'I swear I went to wrestling camp with that kid.'"
Bibiano Fernandes Latest Victim to Injury Bug, Out of UFC 149
On June 4, Bibiano Fernandes signed for his first fight with the UFC and one week later he is out due to injury.
The unfortunately injury plague of 2012 continues to haunt UFC matchmaker Joe Silva as Fernandes is the latest fighter to fall out of a fight after suffering an injury in training.
UFC officials announced the news on Monday.
Women fighting in the UFC? Dana White says it's still possible, in time
Try as he might, UFC president Dana White can't avoid questions about women fighters possibly competing under his organization's banner.
His answer has remained largely the same in recent months: The female divisions just aren't deep enough.
In fact, following this past weekend's UFC on FX 3 event, he sees a parallel between women's MMA and the UFC's newly adopted flyweight division.
UFC 152's MacDonald wanted Condit rematch, settled for intriguing Penn matchup
Before he ultimately got paired with MMA legend B.J. Penn (16-8-2 MMA, 12-7-2 UFC) for his next bout, fast-rising welterweight contender Rory MacDonald (13-1 MMA, 4-1 UFC) had another fight in mind.
Specifically, he wanted a rematch with interim champion Carlos Condit.
Of course, when you have just one blemish on your professional ledger, it has a way of eating at you.
UFC on FX 3 ratings: 1.1 million FX viewers and 84,000 FUEL TV viewers
This past weekend's four-fight "UFC on FX 3: Johnson vs. McCall" main-card broadcast, which was the third UFC main card to air on the FOX-owned FX, averaged 1.1 million viewers.
Additionally, the night's six-bout preliminary card averaged 84,000 viewers on FUEL TV.
MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) today confirmed the ratings information with industry sources.
UFC on FX 3 took place at BankAtlantic Center in Sunrise, Fla., and featured the promotion's first-ever flyweight headliner with Demetrious Johnson vs. Ian McCall II.
Michael Bisping would be 'massively pissed off' if Hector Lombard gets a UFC title shot for beating Tim Boetsch
British brawler Michael Bisping was on the cusp of finally receiving his long-desired chance to vie for an Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) title. All he had to do was defeat the one-man promotion machine who is Chael Sonnen at UFC on Fox 2: "Evans vs. Davis" earlier this year in Chicago, Illinois.
Unfortunately for "The Count," the judges didn't side with him and gave Sonnen the unanimous decision victory, setting up the most-anticipated rematch in the promotion's history between Sonnen and 185-pound kingpin Anderson Silva, which will headline UFC 148 on July 7, 2012, while Bisping is forced to pick up the pieces and start his climb back to the top after tumbling down the middleweight rankings.
Scheduled to face Tim Boetsch at UFC 149, Bisping was forced to withdraw due to injury (torn meniscus), slowing down his climb back to a number one contender's bout to get him closer to his coveted title shot.
However, according to the Brit, he shouldn't have to climb too much in order to get a shot at the title.
Appearing on today's (Jun., 11, 2012) episode of The MMA Hour, Bisping talks about who he wants to face when he returns from his injury as well as saying he will be "massively" disappointed if Hector Lombard receives a shot at the title after one just victory in the UFC.
Check it out:
UFC Star Michael Bisping Undergoing Surgery For Torn Meniscus
UFC Middleweight Michael Bisping informed Fighters Only magazine that he will be undergoing surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his knee today. Bisping last fought at UFC on Fox 1 in November, 2011. He lost a very close decision to Chael Sonnen at that event.
"Torn meniscus, operation tomorrow, will be back in [action] quickly though. Just gonna set me back a few weeks," Bisping wrote to Fighters Only.
Charlie Brenneman's best friend passed away just 24 hours before UFC on FX 3 fight against Erick Silva
This past Friday night (June 8, 2012), UFC welterweight Charlie Brenneman squared off against top Brazilian prospect Erick Silva in the co-main event of UFC on FX 3 in Sunrise, Florida.
Brenneman would put forth a spirited effort, challenging Silva more than he'd ever been tested inside the Octagon, but unfortunately "The Spaniard" would succumb to a late first round rear naked choke.
Little did we know, he had quite a bit more on his mind at the time.
Don Messing, the head of No Limits Personal Training, who was Brenneman's strength and conditioning coach as well as one of his best friends, had passed away due to a heart attack in the middle of the night, barely 24 hours before Brenneman's main card bout.
Brenneman discussed his relationship with Messing in a very emotional blog post on his website. Here's a snippet:
Nottingham Brings UFC Back to the UK; Ogle vs. Corassani; Pickett vs. Jabouin
UFC officials on Monday announced the promotions return to the U.K., its first in Nottingham, England.
UFC: Nottingham will take place on Sept. 29 at the Capital FM Arena and features two popular British fighters at the top end.
The Ultimate Fighter Live’s Andy Ogle will square off with fellow TUF alum Akira Corassani, while Brad Pickett faces Canadian Yves Jabouin.
White sheds light on 'worst meeting ever' with Lesnar
Dana White has revealed Brock Lesnar is highly unlikely to return to the UFC after the "worst meeting" the two parties have ever held.
Lesnar was seen in the front row at UFC 146, where heavyweight champion Junior Dos Santos beat Frank Mir. His appearance sparked rumours, fuelled by White himself, that Lesnar would return from the WWE.
White explained the situation on Friday, revealing an initial text from Lesnar that said: "I want to come to the fight, but keep it quiet because I don't want to tell anybody. What are you doing tonight? ... I want to talk face to face."
That meeting happened, but White confessed on Friday that the pair have not spoken since, such was the clash between the expectations on both sides.
Urijah Faber Says Dominck Cruz Injury ‘Sucks’; Now in for a More Dangerous Fight
Urijah Faber, after months of preparing for a rubber match with UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz, is instead making final preparations for a fight with fellow contender Renan Barão.
Cruz had to pull out of the fight when he injured his ACL during training while he and Faber were coaching opposite each other on The Ultimate Fighter Live.
It’s well know that there is no love lost between Faber and Cruz, but that doesn’t mean that the California Kid was happy about the change in plans.
Dana White Talks Recent Injuries – Fighters Need to Tone It Down and Stop Hurting Each Other
Brian Stann, Thiago Alves, Jon Fitch, Vitor Belfort, Dominick Cruz, Michael Bisping and now Jose Aldo.
That’s just a partial list of the names that have recently fallen off of UFC fight cards due to injuries, and it seems like it keeps growing by the day.
While injuries are nothing new to the sport, lately the problem has caused more and more major fights to be scrapped and cards changed due to fighters not being able to stay healthy.
The most recent changes caused a brand new main event to be made for UFC on Fox 4 in August, but at this point UFC President Dana White and matchmaker Joe Silva are just expecting the unexpected every time their phones ring.
UFC formally applies for 'UFC 151: Jones vs. Henderson' at Mandalay Bay
As expected the UFC plans to host September's UFC 151 event at Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas.
MMAjunkie.com first reported the plans this past month, and UFC officials have formally added the venue request to the agenda for Thursday's Nevada State Athletic Commission meeting.
The Sept. 1 event features a light-heavyweight blockbuster between champion Jon Jones and Dan Henderson.
UFC's Stann expects two-month recovery, open to Bisping or Belfort matchups
Brian Stann knows what to expect from his recent shoulder injury.
The grade II separation of his acromioclavicular (AC) joint is something he experienced – in both shoulders – during his high-school and collegiate football career.
So Stann, who recently pulled out of a UFC on FOX 4 headliner due to the right-shoulder injury – knows he can expect a six- to eight-week recovery.
"No surgery, luckily," Stann told FUEL TV during Friday's UFC on FX 3 pre-show. "Hopefully I can get this healed up as soon as possible and get my range of motion back.
"But for now, I can't even pick my arm up."
With division thin at 145 pounds, Chad Mendes wants second chance at Jose Aldo
Chad Mendes (11-1 MMA, 2-1 UFC) knows things could have been different, and that's what bothers him the most when he thinks back to January 14.
Mendes, fighting for the UFC featherweight title in just his third octagon appearance and 12th professional fight, was handling the early storm from champ Jose Aldo, gaining confidence while fighting the Brazilian champ on his native soil.
But with one tick left in the opening round, things went terribly wrong. Now Mendes wants a chance to prove he's better than he showed at UFC 142.
UFC 149 Update: Aldo Injured, Barao vs. Faber Shifted From UFC 148
The injury bug has apparently struck the UFC yet again, this time it was UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo. Rather than find a new opponent for Koch, the UFC has instead shifted one of its two title bouts from UFC 148 to UFC 149's main event.
Urijah Faber will now face Renan Barao for the interim bantamweight bout two weeks later than planned in Calgary, Alberta.
Brock Lesnar to Become the King Mo of the UFC and WWE? Don’t Bank On It
Brock Lesnar to Become the King Mo of the UFC and WWE? Don’t Bank On It
Posted on June 9, 2012 by Ken Pishna
The mixed martial arts and professional wrestling worlds were up in arms after Brock Lesnar attended UFC 146 in Las Vegas over Memorial Weekend.
Well, it wasn’t just that Lesnar attended the event; it was more UFC president Dana White revealing that he was meeting with the former UFC heavyweight champion and current WWE performer after the show.
Everyone immediately jumped to the conclusion that the meeting was about Lesnar inquiring about a possible return to the UFC.
That very well could be, but Lesnar just signed a one-year, multi-million dollar contract with the WWE and is playing up an angle where he is unhappy with the contract and suing the professional wrestling giant… which very well could have led to White’s statement in his post-fight interview with Fuel TV on Saturday night.