Brandao vs. Elkins, del Rosario vs. Gonzaga and Teixeira vs. Kingsbury at UFC 146
A trio of new bouts have been added to UFC 146 including an Ultimate Fighter winner, a Strikeforce import and a highly touted free agent making his Octagon debut.
First up, Ultimate Fighter season 14 winner Diego Brandao makes his first appearance since winning the reality show last December as he faces wrestler Darren Elkins.
Brandao pulled off the miraculous comeback to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat as he beat former housemate Dennis Bermudez to capture the reality show crown. He now faces Darren Elkins, who looks to make it three in a row since dropping to 145lbs last year.
Also added to the UFC 146 card is former Strikeforce heavyweight Shane Del Rosario, who makes his return to action after a car accident in 2011 nearly ended his career.
Del Rosario is still undefeated as a pro fighter and he’ll look to keep that record in tact as he faces former UFC heavyweight contender Gabriel Gonzaga.
After nearly retiring from the sport, Gonzaga returned in January where he made his triumphant return to the UFC with a dominant win over Eduardo Oliveira.
Mighty Mouse signs debut agreement for “Sudden Death” round at UFC On FX
Demetrious Johnson, the talented bantamweight that now has the opportunity to be the first flyweight champion in the UFC, has signed a landmark bout agreement with ZUFFA for a ‘sudden death’ round for his fight with Ian McCall at UFC on FX. The agreement stipulates that if, after 3 rounds, the judges are undecided on a winner, the fight will go to a 4th round, also called “suuden death.” In a recent interview with TapouT Radio, Mighty Mouse detailed the particulars.
“I don’t know if anybody has said anything about it, and this is the first time I’m mentioning it, is that we (McCall and himself) had to sign for a ‘sudden death’ bout. If it goes to three rounds, and the judges can’t decide who the winner is, then we’ll do a fourth round.”
When asked if this new agreement was specific to his fight, or if it was universal for the entire card, Johnson had this to say,
“I’m assuming that it’s for me and Ian McCall. I can’t say if it’s going to be for Joseph (Benavides) and Yasuhiro (Urushitani), because I’m not gonna say that the UFC made those guys sign, too. I’m telling you, specifically, that I signed a contract for an extra round on the bout agreement. I’m not gonna say that they did. I’m assuming, in my unprofessional opinion, that they did as well.”
Whether this addendum is designed for the introduction of the flyweight division, or if it’s something the UFC is instituting for overseas cards in general, the concept is a good one. For all those times we, as fans, have said ‘One more round!’, this could be the game changer. Hopefully, we get some clarity on the permanence, or lack thereof, for this new twist.
Dan Hardy vs. Duane 'Bang' Ludwig slotted for UFC 146 in Las Vegas
Former title challenger Dan Hardy (23-10 MMA, 4-4 UFC) will look to end his lengthy UFC losing skid against Duane "Bang" Ludwig (21-12 MMA, 4-3 UFC).
UFC officials today announced the welterweights have verbally agreed to meet at UFC 146.
The event takes place May 26 in Las Vegas at MGM Grand Garden Arena, likely with a heavyweight headliner between champion Junior Dos Santos and top contender Alistair Overeem.
The main card airs on pay-per-view, and prelims are expected to stream on FX. It's not clear where Hardy vs. Ludwig will be placed in the lineup.
Jake Ellenberger: Carlos Condit Doesn’t Want Rematch
“I think the fans do want it, but at the same time, I don’t know if that’s what the UFC wants or not,” Ellenberger told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “I really don’t. If it was up to me, then yeah, we’d probably be fighting in May or June, but I don’t know if that’s what the UFC wants. I think they kind of still put it in Condit’s hands, but I know Carlos. I know his manager, and I know they don’t want that fight. But again, if I put myself in their shoes, I don’t blame them.”
Miguel Torres v McDonald winner could get Barao
The winner of Miguel Torres' fight with Michael McDonald at UFC 145 could be propelled into a No. 1 contender bout in the bantamweight division, according to Renan Barao's coach.
Barao is comfortably the top contender for a shot at the 135lb champion, but Dominick Cruz is currently locked in a TUF series with Urijah Faber. Their fight will not take place until the summer, meaning Barao would have to wait until the end of the year for his next fight.
Locker room spy-cam: Nick Diaz immediately after Carlos Condit fight(video)
Nick Diaz has been noticeably out of the public eye since his controversial decision loss to Carlos Condit at UFC 143 earlier this month. The last public words the MMA world heard from Nick following the fight was when he told Joe Rogan in his post-fight interview that he was retiring…
Thanks to some unknown soul with a spy-cam we can now see the Stockton brawler’s mindset back in the locker room after the fight. Diaz comments on Condit’s leg kicks saying, “He didn’t have nothing on those kicks. I’ve felt leg kicks before, those weren’t leg kicks.”
Glover Teixeira signs with UFC, targeted for early-summer debut
Glover Teixeira (17-2 MMA, 0-0 UFC) has signed with the UFC.
After visa issues ultimately forced him out of the U.S. and ruined the possibility of a deal with the world's top promotion, the fast-rising light heavyweight has inked a UFC deal.
MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) today confirmed the signing with a source close to the fighter.
The 32-year-old Teixeira is expected to make his promotional debut in early summer, though a specific date and opponent have not been determined.
Teixeira, a 10-year pro, enters the UFC with a 15-fight and six-year win streak. His victories have come over the likes of Ricco Rodriguez, Marvin Eastman, Antonio Mendes, Daniel Tabera and Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou. Among his 17 career wins, the Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt and grappling champion owns 11 knockouts and four submissions.
UFC on FUEL TV 1 results in four medical suspensions, final attendance 7,120
Three of the four suspensions run a standard 30 days, but Ronny Markes faces in indefinite suspension due to a possible right-hand injury.
Markes defeated Aaron Simpson via split decision during a main-card bout. The middleweight must get a physician's clearance on his right hand before he can return to competition.
Facing 30-day suspensions are Vagner Rocha, Philip De Fries and Herman, who all suffered knockout losses.
As MMAjunkie.com previously reported, UFC officials initially estimated an attendance of 6,283 and a live gate of $405,895. Nebraska officials don't have an official gate figure available.
JAKE ELLENBERGER: CARDIO WASN’T AN ISSUE AGAINST DIEGO SANCHEZ
Jake Ellenberger was impressive in his Feb. 15 victory over Diego Sanchez at UFC on Fuel 1, but after a difficult third round, some questioned rather he almost ran out of gas in the fight.
In an interview with the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show, Ellenberger made it clear that his cardio was fine.
“At no time did I feel like I hit a wall,” he said. “I’ve done it before. When I fought Carlos Condit the first time, I hit a wall. I’ve definitely felt that before. I know what it’s like to gas.”
After Ellenberger won the first and second rounds, Sanchez rallied to claim the third. He took Ellenberger’s back in that final period and peppered him with punches while threatening with a rear-naked choke. Ellenberger still won the unanimous decision, though, and instead of attributing the one round he lost to conditioning, he credits Sanchez.
Report: Paul Sass vs Jacob Volkmann possible for UFC 146 on May 26 in Las Vegas
Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is putting together a lightweight fight between Paul Sass and Jacob Volkmann, who are expected to collide at the upcoming UFC 146 pay-per-view (PPV) event on May 26, 2012, at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Fighters Only brought word of the pending match-up earlier today.
Sass is perfect through 12 fights in his mixed martial arts (MMA) career, one that includes a staggering 11 finishes by way of submission. With eight of those taps resulting from triangle chokes, it should come as no surprise that his combat sport nickname is "Sassangle."
But will he be sassy enough to survive an early "Christmas?"
Ian McCall: Life is a little bit different when you've been dead
Zuffa recently added a 125 Bantamweight division, and a four-man tournament to crown the first champion:
Demetrious Johnson vs. Ian McCall
Joseph Benavidez vs. Yasuhiro Urushitani
In an interview with CageSide Sports, McCall discusses how far he has come.
"I am my own worst enemy. I have a lot of demons and they're still there. I still battle with them.
"But I've always had those values in the back of my head. Even though I've done horrible, horrible things to myself and other people, it's not like I don't feel bad.
"When I died I was sober for a while. I was doing good. And then I was getting getting tattooed. I was getting the heart tattooed on my chest saying Capulet and it's the sacred heart from Romeo and Juliet on Tybalt's chest. So I wanted that one. And I was like 'yeah, ok it's gonna hurt so I should so I should take something'. So I take a few oxycontin. And then I was getting anxiety so I'll take a few xanax. And then smoke some weed and then I think I drank some GHB. And then I woke up like a day or two later in the hospital.
Joe Lauzon Relishing Role of Underdog, Unapologetic About Aggressive Style
Feb 20, 2012 - Ask Joe Lauzon about the last time he was the favorite in a big fight and you'd probably be met with silence. At least, if it did happen, he doesn't remember.
Somehow, after thundering through eight stoppage wins in over half a decade with the UFC, Lauzon remains the quintessential underdog. A congenial assassin trapped in a computer technician's frame. So ask him about facing Anthony Pettis as a 2-to-1 dog at UFC 144, and he'll tell you, any other way just wouldn't be his style.
"I like flying under the radar," Lauzon said to Ariel Helwani on The MMA Hour. "I'm not really the guy that's looking to get all kinds of respect and appreciation, and all that kind of stuff. I like to go and have good fights. I like to have exciting fights. I have no problem being the underdog."
Brazilian Rani Yahya Plans Drop To UFC Bantamweight Division
Former ADCC Submission Wrestling World Champion, and current UFC featherweight fighter, Rani Yahya (16-7) is planning a move back to the bantamweight division after a 1-1 record at 145-lbs in the Octagon.
Yahya moved up to the featherweight division after competing as a bantamweight in the WEC, going so far as to face Chase Beebe for the WEC 135-lbs title back in 2007.
Rampage Jackson: 'Biased' Joe Rogan plays the rusty trombone for BJJ fighters
"You know he's got good jiu-jitsu because he's so biased against jiu-jitsu guys. You can hear it in his voice. Whenever a guy is a jiu-jitsu fighter he's playing rusty trombone. I don't think you should talk down, you should be neutral. When I used to fight in PRIDE, watch Bas Rutten and Stephen Quadros on commentary. Those guys were my good friends and you couldn't even tell when they were doing commentary. We hung out outside of work sometimes, we were good friends but when I fought they weren't biased towards me. They did their job. They weren't biased towards skills or anything like that. That's the way it should be. Sometimes you can hear him because Joe Rogan has one of those girly high-ass voices. I just wanna tell him to shut the fuck up sometimes."
UFC champ Jon Jones to serve as Daytona 500 honorary race official
UFC light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones is heading to NASCAR's Daytona 500.
Jones serves as an honorary race official for the 54th annual Sprint Cup Series race, which takes place Feb. 26 at Daytona International Speedway in Florida.
The season-opening NASCAR race airs on UFC broadcast partner FOX.
"I am thrilled to be able to serve as honorary race official at this year's Daytona 500, NASCAR's premier event," Jones stated in a release. "Like the UFC, NASCAR has a passionate and knowledgeable fan base, and I am honored that I will get to share this experience with them."
Evan Dunham Vs. Edson Barboza Set For UFC 146
UFC president Dana White turned to twitter today to announce a pretty big fight for UFC 147. Evan Dunham will take on the undefeated Edson Barboza in a bout that is almost surely main card material. Here's the tweet:
For the UFC 147 card May 16th in Vegas we just signed Edson Barboza vs Evan Dunham!! #funfight
Feb 19 via Twitter for iPhone Favorite Retweet Reply
Dana corrected himself shortly after, and said he meant UFC 146 and May 26th. Still though, this is an excellent fight. Dunham has rebounded from two losses (to Sean Sherk and Melvin Guillard) by winning two in a row, most recently in a fight of the night performance against Nik Lentz. Barboza is 4-0 in the UFC and is coming off one of the best KO's in UFC history, a spinning wheel kick knockout of Terry Etim at UFC 142.
Mayhem Faces a Doberman at UFC 146
Life is all about second chances and the UFC has decided to give Jason ‘Mayhem’ Miller another shot.
Miller will return at UFC 146 on May 26 in Las Vegas where he will face former ‘Ultimate Fighter’ finalist C.B. ‘The Doberman’ Dollaway.
Miller first announced the fight via his Twitter account, and separate sources confirmed the bout to MMAWeekly.com as well on Saturday.
Tim Sylvia willing to return to UFC for old pay
Tim Sylvia had an interview where he said he would be willing to fight in the UFC for what they used to pay him. He also mentioned he'd like to retire in the UFC...but I guess everyone does right?
The more I think about it, the more I say give him 1 fight in the UFC to see how he can handle himself with the new breed of fighters