The economics of UFC fight-night bonuses
Say you're a first-time UFC fighter. A stretch for most of us, I know, but bear with me.
Say you built up a nice record on regional MMA events, stayed motivated and hungry and constantly in shape, then you got the call. You're going to make your debut on the preliminary portion of a UFC pay-per-view. This is your big chance.
And your pay for this big chance? $8,000 to show and another $8,000 to win. Not exactly a jackpot, but it's a start. Then again, once you factor in taxes and management and the cost of your own training camp just to get to this point, you might be lucky if you have enough left over to get you to the next fight...
Dana White talks to Maggie Gray on SI Now about fight fixing
After the first round of shots were fired over on ESPN 2, Dana White took Sports Illustrated up on an invitation to appear on their SI Now show with Maggie Gray, and get to the heart of the fight fixing issue... sort of.
In an admirable move Sports Illustrated looked to confront their most recent and harshest current critic, Dana White, head on over his dislike of a recent round table discussion on the possibility that UFC 162 was fixed. SI did give Dana his say, but the conversation more or less devolved into bickering over who watched who's product and whether or not SI's panel was generally discussing fight fixing or whether or not the UFC main event was fixed.
UFC Fight Night: Teixeira vs. Bader card announced
The UFC officially announced the card for Fight Night: Teixeira vs. Bader, which take places Sept. 4 from Estadio Jornalista Felipe Drumond in Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, Brazil.
The main card, which will air live on FOX Sports 1, will be headlined by an important light heavyweight bout between top contenders Glover Teixeira (21-2) and Ryan Bader (15-3)...
The UFC is His Home, but Leonard Garcia Looking to a Legacy FC Takeover After Changing Camps
Suffering through a five-fight losing streak, former WEC/UFC featherweight Leonard Garcia recognizes what he’s been doing wrong.
“I had a couple fights where I had been doing the same thing I’d done before and wasn’t moving forward with things I should have,” he said. “I was relying too much on landing the big punch.”
Not only does he feel like he was doing the wrong thing in fights, but also in training, thus Garcia has been working with a new team...
Mousasi reveals he was offered a fight against Belfort but had to decline
Former Strikeforce champion, Gegard Mousasi came to UFC with the status of being one of the leading names in its category and a cartel of 33 wins and three defeats. And in his UFC debut, he pointed out another positive result, beating Ilir Latifi by unanimous decision.
Mousasi has already expressed willingness to face Vitor Belfort , and with the rematch between Anderson Silva and Chris Weidman marked, the duel gained momentum. The fighter said in an interview with tatami, who wanted to marry the Ultimate UFC BH on the clash, scheduled for September 4, at the Gymnasium Mineirinho.
"The truth is: x Weidman Silva II will take place on December 28 at UFC 168. Vitor has to wait for the title shot after all. I know that the UFC wants this fight to happen (Mousasi Belfort x), since I offered it to the UFC BH in September. I could not accept the fight because I went through knee surgery, then it is inevitable that Victor and I are meeting before determining who is the first title challenger. My opinion is that we should also fight at UFC 168, "said Mousasi, commenting on the constant application of the" Phenomenon "to fight for the belt.
"It's simple: Vitor and I would fight in the past, before the Affliction, the UFC now. Vitor knows that it is inevitable that we will meet in the Octagon. "
Dana White: No offer made to Nick Diaz
Don't get too excited about Nick Diaz's return to the UFC just yet.
A day after Cesar Gracie told BJPenn.com that UFC president Dana White had offered Diaz a return UFC fight, White told MMAFighting.com on Thursday the opposite.
"Nobody at the UFC talked to Gracie or anyone else that reps Nick," White wrote via text message.
In response to a text message asking who the UFC offered Diaz, Gracie told MMAFighting.com Wednesday night, "Can't tell you."
Diaz said he was leaving MMA after his March loss to Georges St-Pierre, unless he was offered a rematch against St-Pierre or a fight against Anderson Silva. However, White said earlier this month following UFC 162 that Diaz has leaning towards returning to the UFC.
The 29-year-old Diaz (26-9, 1 NC) is 1-2 since returning to the UFC in 2011.
Exclusive: Cesar Gracie Confirms Nick Diaz Has Been Offered a Fight By UFC
“As far as his fighting and everything. He’s been in Vegas, he just got back a couple of days ago. There is an offer on the table, that’s all I can say. It’s something everyone is looking at right now and discussing with him. Dana has offered him a fight. There is an offer on the table, I can’t say who it is, but it’s kind of neat I think. But no decision’s have been made for sure.”
John Howard replaces Josh Samman, faces Uriah Hall at UFC Fight Night 26
Seven-time UFC veteran John Howard (20-8 MMA, 4-3 UFC) returns to the octagon for the first time in two years at next month's UFC Fight Night 26 event to face "The Ultimate Fighter 17" finalist Uriah Hall (7-3 MMA, 0-1 UFC).
Howard replaces Josh Samman, who himself has replaced Hall's originally scheduled opponent, Nick Ring.
Howard and Hall now meet in a middleweight bout on the FOX Sports 1-televised portion of next month's "UFC Fight Night 26: Shogun vs. Sonnen" event, which takes place Aug. 17 at Boston's TD Garden.
The new booking was first reported by the Boston Herald, and UFC officials subsequently confirmed the change.