UFC 153 draws an announced 16,844 fans for gate between $2.5-2.6 million
Saturday's UFC 153 pay-per-view event drew an announced attendance of 16,844 fans for an estimated live gate of between $2.5 and $2.6 million.
UFC President Dana White announced the figures at the night's post-event news conference, which MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) attended.
UFC 153 took place at HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro. The main card aired on pay-per-view following prelims on FX and Facebook.
The main event was a non-title light heavyweight fight between middleweight champ Anderson Silva and Stephan Bonnar. Silva did some gunslinging with Bonnar before breaking out with a leaping knee that led to the end of the fight in the first. It was his 16th consecutive octagon win...
White: Overeem meets Dos Santos-Velasquez winner, possibly in March or April
Not that either will be looking past the other, but at least Junior Dos Santos and Cain Velasquez can be reasonably sure of their potential next assignment if they win in December.
The winner between heavyweight champion Dos Santos (15-1 MMA, 9-0 UFC) and Velasquez (10-1 MMA, 8-1 UFC) will face former No. 1 contender Alistair Overeem (36-11 MMA, 1-0 UFC), perhaps as early as March or April.
UFC President Dana White laid out the still very loose plan early Sunday following the post-event news conference for UFC 153, which took place in Rio de Janeiro.
"The winner of that fight will fight Overeem (in March or April)," White said...
UFC 153 bonuses: Nogueira, Jason, Fitch, Erick Silva get $70,000 awards
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, Rony Jason, Jon Fitch and Erick Silva each earned $70,000 bonuses for their performances at Saturday's "UFC 153: Silva vs. Bonnar" event.
Nogueira won the "Submission of the Night" bonus, Jason earned the "Knockout of the Night" award, and Fitch and Erick picked up "Fight of the Night" honors.
UFC President Dana White announced the winners and bonus amounts following the event, which took place at HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro.
The event's main card aired on pay-per-view following prelims on FX and Facebook.
UFC 153 results and analysis - Silva toys with Bonnar, stops him in R1
RIO DE JANEIRO – Neither size nor toughness could save Stephan Bonnar from Anderson Silva.
Silva, who stepped up to light heavyweight to save the injury-rattled UFC 153, brazenly took Bonnar's best shots before launching a knee that crumpled "The American Psycho" in the first round.
The light heavyweight bout served as the main event of Saturday's UFC 153 event at HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro. It aired on pay-per-view following prelims on FX and Facebook.
"I'm not the best," Silva said through his translator and manager Ed Soares. "I just believe that I can do things that people believe are impossible."
Allegations Against Stephens Show He Beat A Man To Critical Condition
Des Moines police emphatically denied allegations by the agent of a mixed martial arts fighter arrested on felony assault charges last week that authorities deliberately arrested him before a nationally televised fight.
Jeremy Dean Stephens, 26, a Des Moines native, was arrested in Minnesota last week on a Des Moines warrant for willful injury and assault causing bodily injury. Authorities arrested Stephens, who is a veteran lightweight for the Ultimate Fighting Championship, hours before a nationally televised fight, causing him to miss his bout despite the best efforts of fight promoters to see him released.
While his agent accused authorities of acting in bad faith and deliberately waiting until just before the fight to arrest Stephens, police officials insisted the fight was their only chance to serve a warrant on the San Diego man.
“It wasn’t personal. We gave him several opportunities to turn himself in. He’s had a year to take care of it,” said Des Moines Police Sgt. Joe Leo. “
The crime Stephens was arrested for reportedly occurred almost a year ago, on Oct. 15, 2011.
According to police reports, the victim and his wife were at Fat Tony’s, 1500 SE 1st St., with Stephens and Dustin James Bachman, 27.
The victim had reportedly been asked to leave the bar and was still in the parking lot when Stephens and Bachman emerged soon after.
According to the victim’s wife, Stephens punched the victim in the left eye. The victim leaned against the building and Bachman punched him on the head and face several times, police said.
The victim’s wife helped him get into their car and was trying to lock the doors when Bachman reportedly pulled the victim out of the vehicle by his feet. Stephens and Bachman then allegedly punched and kicked the victim on his head and body for about a minute, authorities said.
The suspects fled. The victim was unconscious and stopped breathing twice, police reports show. He was intubated and taken to the hospital in critical condition.
UFC 153 weigh-in results: Anderson Silva (202), Stephan Bonnar (205) set for main event
MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view, 10 p.m. ET)
-Anderson Silva (202) vs. Stephan Bonnar (205)
-Dave Herman (244) vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (243)
-Fabio Maldonado (203) vs. Glover Teixeira (204)
-Jon Fitch (170) vs. Erick Silva (169)
-Phil Davis (206) vs. Wagner Prado (204)
-Demian Maia (170) vs. Rick Story (170)
PRELIMINARY CARD (FX, 8 p.m. ET)
-Rony "Jason" Mariano Bezerra (145) vs. Sam Sicilia (146)
-Gleison Tibau (155) vs. Francisco Trinaldo (154)
-Diego Brandao (144) vs. Joey Gambino (146)
-Renee Forte (169) vs. Sergio Moraes (169)
PRELIMINARY CARD (Facebook, 7 p.m. ET)
-Chris Camozzi (185) vs. Luiz Cane (184)
-Reza Madadi (155) vs. Cristiano Marcello (155)
UFC's Jake Shields says he's suspended six months for banned substance
The Colorado Department of Regulatory Agencies' Boxing Commission has issued UFC fighter Jake Shields a six-month suspension for using a prohibited substance prior to his fight at UFC 150, the fighter today announced.
Shields' reps at Authentic Sports Management emailed MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) a prepared statement from the fighter.
In it, Shields acknowledges to using a banned substance and accepting the commission's half-year suspension.
However, he didn't reveal what the substance was, and the commission hasn't specified what was detected in his post-fight drug test.A source told MMAjunkie.com the Association of Boxing Commissions' database currently doesn't list any information about Shields' failed test, though it'll likely be added soon...
Strikeforce cancels Nov. 3 event in Oklahoma City, plans January return
Strikeforce has canceled its Nov. 3 event in Oklahoma City, the organization today announced.
Injuries to headliner Frank Mir, as well as co-headliner and middleweight champion Luke Rockhold, prompted the cancellation, officials stated in today's release.
While rumors of the organization's potential demise have swirled in recent weeks, Strikeforce and Showtime officials stated they plan to host the next Strikeforce event in January at a location to be announced.
However, officials said the card will be "stacked," and details will be announced in the coming days.
Jon Jones interested in a potential fight with Chael Sonnen
Perhaps we'll get that Jon Jones-Chael Sonnen fight after all.
As any mixed martial arts fan who hasn't been living under a rock the past few months could tell you, Jones, the UFC light heavyweight champion, refused Sonnen as a short-notice replacement opponent at UFC 151 after his scheduled challenger, Dan Henderson, dropped out due to a knee injury.
In the aftermath of Jones' decision, UFC president Dana White pulled the plug on the Sept. 1 event, the first fight-card cancelation in Zuffa history.
But on Thursday night, Jones sent out a hint on Twitter that he's coming around on the notion of fighting the mouthy former middleweight.
"The more I realize how bad the fans want me to fight Sonnen the more I am beginning to disregard whether he deserves it or not," Jones tweeted out to his nearly 483,000 followers.
Matchmaker Joe Silva explains why he released DaMarques Johnson from UFC
Silva then offered the fight to Johnson, through his manager Monte Cox. When Cox called Silva back to tell him Johnson agreed to take the fight at 170 pounds, Silva said he told Cox about the Attonito release and wanted him to tell Johnson what had just happened as well. Cox did just that.
Later that day, Silva saw Johnson at The Ultimate Fighter 17 tryouts in Las Vegas. He said he thanked Johnson for taking the fight but also noticed that he looked heavier than usual. A couple of hours later, Johnson told Silva that he weighed 210 pounds and didn't think he could make 170 pounds. Silva then offered him a 175-pound catch weight fight against Nelson, which both fighters agreed to.
At the Sept. 28 weigh-ins in England, Johnson ended up weighing 183 pounds, missing weight by 8 pounds. As a result, twenty percent of his purse was given to Nelson. Johnson lost the fight the next day and was released earlier this week.
"I thought it was incredibly unfair to Gunnar Nelson to fight someone that much larger than him," Silva said. "Johnson told me he could make the weight. He's not doing me a favor if he missed weight because I could have gotten someone else who would have made the weight.
"I never pressure anyone to take late notice fights. I got a bunch of guys who want to fight. If one says no, I will find someone else. No problem."
VADA Offers Drug Testing for TUF Finale Main Event, Carwin’s Camp Says That’s News to Them
Following a season of coaching opposite one another, Roy Nelson and Shane Carwin will finally settle their differences at the Ultimate Fighter finale on Dec 15 in Las Vegas.
The bout will be held under direction from the Nevada State Athletic Commission, who does drug testing prior to fights under their jurisdiction, but it looks like another agency is hoping to do some testing of their own.
VADA (Voluntary Anti-Doping Agency) has offered to do additional drug testing for the Nelson vs. Carwin fight, similar to the process they are doing for the Rory MacDonald/B.J. Penn fight at UFC on Fox 5 also in December.
UFC 152 and UFC on FUEL TV 5 drug tests come back clean, one TRT exemption
All fighters who underwent drug testing at the recent UFC 152 and UFC on FUEL TV 5 events passed their drug tests.
Marc Ratner, the UFC's vice president of government and regulatory affairs, today confirmed the results with MMAjunkie.com.
Ratner said one fighter received a therapeutic-use exemption for testosterone-replacement therapy at UFC 152, but he wouldn't identify the individual, who tested within allowable limits, he said.
UFC 153's Chris Camozzi donates portion of purse to Brazil's Institute Reacao
UFC middleweight Chris Camozzi will be the enemy when he steps into the cage against his Brazilian UFC 153 opponent Luiz Cane, but on Thursday, he brought smiles to a few hundred Rio de Janeiro youth.
During "UFC Children's Day" at Brazil's Instituto Reacao, Camozzi committed to donate an undisclosed portion of his UFC 153 fight purse to the social project headed by Olympic judo medalist Flavio Canto.
The UFC also agreed to match Camozzi's donation.
Cristiano Marcello Warns “If I Have the Chance to Break His Arm, I’m Going to Do That”
It was April 2011 when Cristiano Marcello first crossed paths with his future UFC 153 opponent Reza Madadi.
Madadi won the Super Challenge title that night with a win over UFC veteran Rich Clementi, and at the behest of the promoters, former Chute Boxe coach Cristiano Marcello went into the cage to challenge the new champion for the first show at the belt.
Instead of fun stare down or even a mutual respect between fighters, Madadi grabbed the microphone away from Marcello and said ‘you’re not on my level, don’t even try’ before walking out of the cage.
Ever since that moment, Marcello has been on a mission to beat Madadi, and show him a whole new level of pain in the cage.
“At the time they gave him to me, I said thanks to God because at the time you’re a champion you know someone is going to try to take your belt. If you watch the tape I’m so respectful, I said thanks to Reza for being here and telling him he’s a great fighter, and he takes the microphone out of my hands and tells me I’m not on his level,” said Marcello when speaking to MMAWeekly Radio recently.
“He was right at the time, I’m not on his level. I’m better than him, and I’m going to prove I’m better than him on October 13th.”
UFC 'Macao:' Hyun Gyu vs David Mitchell booked with Marcelo Guimaraes injured
At UFC on Fuel TV 6, Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) will venture into China for the first time ever at the Venetian Macau Resort Hotel in Macau on Nov. 10, 2012.
In "Prelims" under card mixed martial arts (MMA) action, Marcelo Guimaraes was supposed to welcome Hyun Gyu Lim to the Octagon. However, now it appears that the honor will fall to David Mitchell instead because Guimaraes has reportedly withdrawn from the fight for an unspecified reason.
UFC champ Jose Aldo says he's done riding motorcycles, anxious for Edgar title fight
The UFC featherweight champ was supposed to be gearing up for a fight in three days in front of his home fans. Instead, thanks to a spill on his ride, he's in Rio de Janeiro as a spectator.
And because of that, Aldo said he's done with that form of transportation – one of the more economical and popular ways to get around in Brazil.
"No more motorbikes for me," Aldo on Wednesday told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "I'm young, so obviously I do mess up once in a while. But I learned my lesson, and I'm not going to ride (motorcycles) anymore."
Though Aldo was supposed to fight Erik Koch (13-1 MMA, 2-0 UFC) originally, Koch had to pull out with an injury and that paved the way for Edgar, who decided to drop to featherweight after his lightweight title rematch loss to champion Benson Henderson at UFC 150 in August.
But Aldo said it's Edgar he wants to fight next, regardless of when that is.
"Definitely (I want to fight Edgar)," he said. "I think he's one of the best fighters in the class and will be a big challenge for me. All my career has been challenges, so I want this challenge."
UFC on FX 5 medical suspensions: Danny Castillo suspended indefinitely
The full list of UFC on FX 5 suspensions included:
Travis Browne: suspended 30 days with no contact during training for 14 days for precautionary reasons
Jay Hieron: suspended 30 days with no contact during training for 14 days due to a laceration
Jussier Formiga: suspended 30 days with no contact during training for 14 days for precautionary reasons
Danny Castillo: suspended indefinitely until cleared by a neurological exam; regardless, suspended 60 days with no contact during training for 45 days for precautionary reasons
Diego Nunes: suspended 45 days with no contact during training for 30 days due to a laceration
Bart Palaszewski: suspended 45 days with no contact during training for 30 days due to a laceration
Aaron Simpson: suspended 60 days with no contact during training for 45 days for precautionary reasons
As is customary in Minnesota, all other fighters received a mandatory seven-day rest period.
Yves Edwards to face John Cholish at UFC on FOX 5
Yves Edwards has a new fight. After his scheduled bout at UFC on FX 5 with Jeremy Stephens fell out, UFC President Dana White promised to get the ATT-trained lightweight a new fight. Edwards will now face John Cholish at UFC on FOX 5 on Dec. 8th.
MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani confirmed the news Wednesday with event sources...