UFC's Dana White on SOPA website attackers: 'Knock it down again tonight – do it'
If you were monitoring Twitter on Sunday, news that the UFC website had been rerouted by anti-SOPA hackers didn't get much of a rise out of its president, Dana White.
Not enough to distract him from watching his beloved New England Patriots win a trip to the Super Bowl.
Things haven't changed much since then. As the UFC allots additional resources to fight a repeat occurrence of the cyber-attack, White today issued a challenge to those who would hijack the UFC's URL.
Rashad Evans, Phil Davis turn up trashtalking heat in UFC on FOX 2 build-up
Insulting your opponent, or "talking up the fight," is part of the job being in the UFC, Rashad Evans believes.
"It's like personal, but not really personal-personal," Evans (16-1-1 MMA, 11-1-1 UFC) said today during a pre-event press conference in support of UFC on FOX 2, which takes place Saturday at Chicago's United Center and airs live on FOX.
Then he proceeded to put in a good day's work against Phil Davis (9-0 MMA, 6-0 UFC), who stands between him and a shot at the light-heavyweight title.
Davis got him working early when the topic of wrestling was brought up. He had previously asserted that he would have won if the two had met in college while he was at Michigan State and Davis was at Penn State.
As a four-time Division I All-American and NCAA champion, the normally congenial Davis took humorous exception to the claim.
"Cocaine's a helluva drug," he said. "And it's crazy what the kids do nowadays. I encourage imagination, and it's good that he has that, but no. He'll never beat me in wrestling – not thumb wrestling, not anything of the sort."
Clearly agitated, Evans corrected Davis when he tried to assert that they wrestled in the same division (Evans competed at 174 pounds while Davis was at 197 pounds) and said Davis won his NCAA title on a "soft" year in competition.
MacDonald to face Lawlor in May
The Athlete is returning to the cage in the spring.
Canadian middleweight Jason (The Athlete) MacDonald will take on (Filthy) Tom Lawlor at a UFC event in Fairfax, Va., on May 15. Sources told Sportsnet the two fighters have verbally agreed to the fight.
The 36-year-old New Glasgow, N.S., native, is coming off a first-round TKO loss to Alan Belcher at a UFC Fight Night in September. MacDonald (25-15) is a veteran of 13 fights in the UFC with a 6-7 record in the Octagon.
The American Lawlor (7-4, 1 NC) fell to Chris Weidman by first-round submission in November.
Dan Henderson Implies That Vitor Belfort Uses Steroids, Says He’s Getting Crazy
That’s not true, this fight [against Anthony Johnson] was never offered to me. Steroids might be killing Vitor’s neurons, he’s getting crazy to say something like that”.
Yesterday we featured comments from Vitor Belfort that explained his decisions for taking the Anthony Johnson fight in Brazil. In the same interview Belfort stated that Dan Henderson was on a list of many fighters who turned downed the middleweight bout against Johnson but that he, himself was not scared of any man.
Dan Henderson recently took to the same media source, Tatame.com, to set the record straight and let the world know that he was never offered the Johnson bout as Vitor implied. He then takes it a step further and calls the Brazilian fighter a steroid user.
Vitor threw the first jab at Hendo but Hendo retaliated in a more insulting way. Could these two be posturing for a future fight? Or is this just a case of he said she said?
I find it very funny that a TRT user would even go to the roid topic
UFC returns to Las Vegas on July 7 with pay-per-view event and fan expo
The UFC is planning a return to its Las Vegas home for a traditional Fourth of July weekend event.
The weekend likely will include a major pay-per-view event on July 7 and a UFC Fan Expo from July 6-7.
MGM Grand Garden Arena likely will host the event, and its sister property, the Mandalay Bay Events Center, is expected to host the expo.
MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) confirmed the plans with event sources. MMAFighting.com first reported the plans.
Since the UFC hasn't set or announced its schedule past May, it's not clear what numbered event the July 7 show will be. No bouts currently are rumored for the show...
Bedford-Gagnon scratched at UFC on FOX 2, Beltran-Johnson promoted to FUEL TV
UFC officials announced today that Canadian Mitch Gagnon (8-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) is unable to cross into the U.S. for a fight with Johnny Bedford (18-9-1 MMA, 1-0 UFC), forcing the promotion to scrap the booking at UFC on FOX 2.
A heavyweight bout between Joey Beltran (13-6 MMA, 3-2 UFC) and newcomer Lavar Johnson (15-5 MMA, 0-0 UFC) has subsequently been added to the event's six-bout preliminary card broadcast, which airs on FUEL TV.
The change leaves Chris Camozzi vs. Dustin Jacoby as the evening's lone bout to stream on Facebook
UFC on FOX 3 adds John Dodson vs. Darren Uyenoyama at flyweight
The recently announced UFC on FOX 3 event has a new addition.
Following Tuesday's announcement of a Jim Miller vs. Nate Diaz bout, UFC officials announced "The Ultimate Fighter 14" winner John Dodson (12-5 MMA, 1-0 UFC) has agreed to meet Darren Uyenoyama (7-3 MMA, 1-0 UFC) at the event.
Both fighters are dropping from bantamweight to flyweight for the fight.
Diego Nunes vs. Dennis Siver added to UFC on FUEL TV 2
So Dennis Siver (19-8 MMA, 8-5 UFC) will fight in Sweden, after all.
After a rumored rematch with Ross Pearson turned out to be much ado about nothing, UFC officials have instead booked Siver to face Brazilian featherweight Diego Nunes (17-2 MMA, 2-1 UFC) at April's UFC on FUEL TV 2 event.
MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) today confirmed the booking, which was first reported by Swedish site mmanytt.se, with sources close to the event.
Featuring a main event between light heavyweights Antonio Rogerio Nogueira and Alexander Gustafsson, UFC on FUEL TV 2 takes place April 14 at Ericsson Globe Arena in Stockholm. The main card airs on FUEL TV (live on Saturday afternoon in the U.S.), and as MMAjunkie.com first reported, some prelims are expected to stream on Facebook.
Carlo Prater believes Joe Rogan publicly humiliated him after the Eric Silva disqualification
It’s been several weeks since the fight, and Carlo Prater is finally speaking about how he felt about it in this interview with Brazil’s Sportv.globo.com.
“I think in the end I was made out as a villain. I wasn’t laying on the octagon for nothing after the fight. I want that to be clear. I had to stay in the hospital until Monday. They (UFC) asked me not to go public because, indeed, that wouldn’t do any good for me or Eric. IMO, Mario did the right thing. It’s been a long time since rules have been implemented. You are not allowed to do anything you want inside the cage. Watching the fight video I could see at least 9 blows to the back of the head. I think the way Joe Rogan behaved was completely unethical. He went with the crowd. A real professional doesn’t do that. He was acting like a fan when he should be acting as a shout caster. Mario is a million time more competent than him. He’s been living off this for 20 years. Joe Rogan is just a swagger, someone who walks amongst fighters but isn’t really a fighter himself. He doesn’t understand. Whatever… human beings make mistakes and I am not going to be holding grudges against him”
This isn’t the first time someone has criticized Joe Rogan; but it is the first time that Joe Rogan took a position on a controversial stoppage and declared that the referee was wrong inside the octagon. While that kind of personal engagement to the sport might not be something we’re used to, I feel it’s exactly what’s missing in other sports. So often we find commentators sitting monotonous in a press booths, summing up what they see and offering little to no constructive interpretation outside of a fact sheet that’s handed to them, while Rogan lets his passion for the sport transcend the broadcast. Hopefully Carlo Prater and Joe Rogan can make amends before their next event together. Maybe they too can hug it out over a bag of plantain chips.
White: GSP could return this summer
Georges St-Pierre’s return may be sooner than we thought.
According to UFC president Dana White, the sidelined welterweight champion is motivated to do what it takes to get back in the cage as soon as possible, suggesting a long-awaited matchup between he and Nick Diaz could happen in "the summertime."
Of course, a couple things would first have to fall into place: Diaz needs to get by Carlos Condit next month at UFC 143; and St-Pierre would have to make significant strides in his rehab following knee surgery -- the previous prognosis had him hoping to get back in the cage only in November.
However, in an interview following Friday’s UFC on FX event in Nashville, White said the Canadian is feeling so much “hatred” for Diaz, who questioned his injured status at an event last October, that he is just itching to get in the Octagon and quiet the American with his fists.
"GSP's rehab could not be going better," White told FUEL TV’s Ariel Helwani. "I kid you not, he texts me every day. Tonight during the fight, he was texting me pictures of him kicking, of him doing things. He says, 'I am praying every night when I go to bed that Nick Diaz wins this fight'
UFC on FX 1 ratings: 1.3 million FX viewers and 148,000 FUEL TV viewers
This past weekend's four-fight UFC on FX 1 event, which was the first UFC main card to air on the FOX-owned FX, averaged 1.3 million viewers.
Additionally, the night's six-bout preliminary card averaged 148,000 viewers on FUEL TV.
The two-hour main card, which boasted four fights on FX, averaged a 1.19 rating among men 18-49 and a 1.21 among men 18-34.
The three-hour preliminary card, which featured Jorge Rivera's successful retirement fight against middleweight Eric Schafer, featured six bouts and was one of FUEL TV's most-watched programs to date.
Weapon Related Sponsers Banned From UFC
Sponsors being banned from UFC events is nothing new, but the new banning of weapon related sponsors is certainly different. It appears that the initial pressure to ban these sponsors actually came from the UFC's new network home.
The MMA Corner with the report:
The MMA Corner has learned from sources close to the situation that the latest impact is that guns and ammunition sponsors, such as The Gun Store and Ammotogo.com, have been banned from events that take place on the Fox family of networks.
*UPDATE * - The MMA Corner has learned that the ban includes companies related to guns, knives, ammunition, and hunting. It will go into effect on Jan. 23. The ban has been extended to all UFC events, not just those broadcast on the Fox family of networks.
'Minowaman' happy to be fighting on U.S. soil, hopes to one day fight for UFC in Japan
With so much uncertainty in his native country's MMA scene, Ikuhisa Minowa began branching off from his usual stomping grounds.
The U.S. was always an attractive option, but he was always under contract with the biggest Japanese promotions, who relentlessly employed him for his showmanship and willingness to fight anyone – really, anyone.
When those promotions fell into disrepair, Minowa had talks with the UFC to appear in the promotion's return to Japan at UFC 144. His profile popped up on their website. But the contract never got done.
UFC on FX 1 draws announced 7,728 attendance and $334,860 live gate
Friday's UFC on FX 1 event drew an announced attendance of 7,728 and a live gate of $334,860.
MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) learned of the figures during the event's post-fight press conference at Bridgestone Arena in Nashville, Tenn.
The Tennessee Athletic Commission will release official tallies in the coming weeks.
UFC on FX 1 marked the first FX-televised main card in UFC history, and prelims aired on FUEL TV. Both channels are part of FOX, which kicks off a seven-year deal with the UFC earlier this month. The FX and FUEL TV cards essentially replace the UFC's smaller events that previously aired on Spike TV and Versus.
Friday's event featured Jim Miller's submission victory over fellow lightweight Melvin Guillard in the night's main event. Josh Neer, Pat Barry and Mike Easton also picked up wins on the main card...
UFC on FX 1 bonuses: Denis, Miller, Barry, Morecraft earn $45K awards
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Nick Denis, Jim Miller, Pat Barry and Christian Morecraft each earned $45,000 fight-night bonuses for their performances at Friday's UFC on FX 1 event.
Denis earned the night's "Knockout of the Night" award, Miller picked up the "Submission of the Night" bonus, and Barry and Morecraft earned "Fight of the Night" honors.
UFC 145 gets McDonald-Torres, Blanco-Brimage; seven bouts shift to Atlanta
Two new bouts have been added to April's UFC 145 event in Atlanta, and seven have been shifted to the card after the recent cancellation of a March event in Montreal.
One of the new additions is an intriguing bantamweight bout between former WEC champ Miguel Torres (40-4 MMA, 2-1 UFC) and fast-rising Michael McDonald (14-1 MMA, 3-0 UFC).
The latest UFC 145 card now includes:
Michael McDonald vs. Miguel Torres
Maximo Blanco vs. Marcus Brimage
Mark Hominick vs. Eddie Yagin
Rory MacDonald vs. Che Mills
Ben Rothwell vs. Brendan Schaub
Mark Bocek vs. Matt Wiman
Travis Browne vs. Chad Griggs
John Makdessi vs. Anthony Njokuani
Mac Danzig vs. Efrain Escudero
Chris Clements vs. Keith Wisniewski
Win or lose, UFC on FX 1's Jorge Rivera set to retire
Jorge Rivera (19-9 MMA, 7-7 UFC) has decided to call it a career after his fight with Eric Schafer (12-6-2 MMA, 3-5 UFC) tonight on UFC on FX 1.
The veteran announced the news today on MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio).
Rivera has often flirted with the idea but made up his mind recently.
"I've thought about this for a long time," Rivera said. "If I would have won my last fight, I would have walked away. But that's not how it worked out, and I just told myself I would leave no matter what happens.
"It's time to go. I'm starting to feel like that old man in the club trying to pick up chicks. It gets a little creepy after a while."
Sonnen: I don't think Silva will fight again
Chael Sonnen believes a much-anticipated rematch against Anderson Silva will never happen.
In fact, he doesn’t think Silva -- the current UFC middleweight champion -- will fight again. Period.
During a pre-fight conference call Friday ahead of his meeting with Michael Bisping at the UFC on FOX 2 show on Jan. 28 in Chicago, Sonnen said he was done with the man he referred to as "cowardly."
"I guarantee you Anderson Silva and my paths will never cross in the cage again," Sonnen said. "I don’t think he will fight anybody.
"That’s my personal opinion. But it’s a fact that (he) turned down a fight with me four times."
Sonnen added that Silva even turned down the offer when it was presented to him in person by (UFC chairman) Lorenzo Fertitta.