Dana White says UFC would add 115-pound division before considering cruiserweight
It's a question Dana White has fielded before, and usually his answer is quick and simple.
But on Thursday, the UFC president tossed a little curveball during a pre-fight news conference for Saturday's UFC 149 pay-per-view event in Calgary.
When asked if the UFC would soon open up a cruiserweight division as a home for those in-between heavyweights who are too big to drop to 205 pounds, but are undersized compared to those in the division that max out at 265, White said if anything, the promotion is likely to go just the opposite.
"We have not considered (a cruiserweight division)," White said. "A lot of people ask me about adding another division. If we do add another division anytime soon, it's going to be a lighter one."
Ian McCall withdraws from UFC on FOX 4
One day after his fight was announced, Ian McCall (11-3-1 MMA, 0-1-1 UFC) apparently has withdrawn from a fight with newcomer John Moraga (10-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) at UFC on FOX 4.
The flyweight posted he was "forced to withdraw days ago" on the Underground, an MMA forum, and he promised a future update.
MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) could not confirm McCall's exit. UFC.com still lists the flyweight bout.
UFC on FOX 4 takes place Aug. 4 at Staples Center in Los Angeles. The main card airs live on FOX following preliminary-card fights on FUEL TV and Facebook.
McCall vs. Moraga was set for the Facebook-streamed portion of the card, though it's unclear whether the bout will now be scratched...
Jimi Manuwa Vs. Kyle Kingsbury Completes UFC On FUEL TV 5 Card
The UFC announced the signing of British knockout artist, Jimi Manuwa, several weeks ago and indicated that "The Posterboy" would be competing on the September 29th Fuel TV card in Nottingham, England, and now it appears that he has an opponent set, as MMANytt.se reports that he'll face Kyle Kingsbury:
Kyle Kingsbury has booked a trip to Nottingham, England on 29 September to meet Jimi Manuwa on UFC on Fuel TV: Struve vs. Miocic, informs a source close to the situation to MMAnytt.se.
British fans have been clamoring to see Manuwa in the Octagon for some time now, as the Nigerian-born fighter has compiled a stellar and violent 11-0 record, with all of those wins coming via stoppage in either the first or second round. After returning from a long injury layoff last year, Manuwa was offered a UFC contract, but instead opted to take one more warm-up fight in BAMMA (where he forced Antony Rea to quit on the stool after one round), declaring that he wanted to make sure he was truly ready for UFC competition before signing a deal with the promotion. Now that time has come and he'll get the chance to make his debut in front of his fellow Brits on September 29th.
Former UFC fighter Sherman Pendergarst loses battle with cancer
MMA veteran Sherman Pendergarst passed away this morning after a two-year fight with rectal and colon cancer. He was 45.
"He always cared for others more than himself," Pendergarst coach Pat Miletich today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) via text. "He told me a few months ago that he had lived a great life and reached his goals and was at peace."
Pendergarst made a lone octagon appearance at UFC 65, where he lost to Antoni Hardonk. The former heavyweight and light heavyweight also made a lone appearance for Bellator and fought current UFC fighter Joey Beltran at Bellator 5 in May 2009. His overall professional record was 11-18, though he faced many big-show vets, including Shane Carwin, during his seven-year career.
Not even his illness could keep him from competing. He fought just five months ago at a local event in Fargo, N.D., while still suffering from the effects of cancer...
UFC boss says Chael Sonnen still in line for big fights, likely to earn television deal
If you just can't get enough Chael Sonnen in your life, don't worry. UFC president Dana White doesn't think he's going anywhere any time soon.
White, who said he hasn't spoken directly with Sonnen since the middleweight's UFC 148 loss to Anderson Silva, believes the self-proclaimed "gangster" still has big fights ahead of him, not to mention a television career.
"He's got a lot of options," White today told MMAjunkie.com. "FOX loves this guy. He's going to end up with a television deal."
Hector Lombard won't be fighting Mark Munoz after UFC 149, says UFC boss
During interviews promoting Saturday's UFC 149 event, Hector Lombard said he would turn down a title shot and instead fight Mark Munoz.
But UFC president Dana White said the recent middleweight addition is missing one tiny detail.
"[Lombard] must not have FUEL TV because Munoz lost the other night," White told MMAjunkie.com at a pre-event press conference for UFC 149. "So if he wins on Saturday, I don't think he'll be fighting Mark Munoz."
UFC planning 2012 event in Seattle
UFC fans in the Pacific Northwest, rejoice. The octagon will soon make a return trip to the region.
UFC president Dana White today revealed the promotion is currently planning on bringing an event to Seattle before year's end.
"I know we're going to Seattle this year," White said. "I can't remember the date."
UFC 152 adds Evan Dunham vs. T.J. Grant, tickets on sale next week
Tickets for "UFC 152: Benavidez vs. Johnson," which range from $85 to $550, go on sale next week.
UFC officials today announced the plans for the Sept. 22 event, which takes place at Toronto's Air Canada Centre and features a flyweight title fight between contenders Joseph Benavidez and Demetrious Johnson.
Additionally, the promotion announced a lightweight matchup between Evan Dunham (13-2 MMA, 6-2 UFC) and T.J. Grant (18-5 MMA, 5-3 UFC) has also been added to the UFC 152 lineup.
"Everyone knows how much I love Canada, and it's going to be great to have the first-ever UFC flyweight title fight between Joseph Benavidez and Demetrious Johnson in Toronto on Sept. 22," UFC president Dana White stated.
Tickets go on sale to the general public Friday, July 27, at 12 p.m. ET.
However, UFC Fight Club members can purchase tickets on Wednesday, July 25, at 10 a.m. ET, and UFC.com e-newsletter subscribers can buy tickets on Thursday, July 26, at 10 a.m. ET.
Ian McCall vs. John Moraga added to UFC on FOX 4 in Los Angeles
"Uncle Creepy" doesn't have to wait long for redemption.
Southern California-based Ian McCall (11-3-1 MMA, 0-1-1 UFC) is a last-minute addition to UFC on FOX 4, which takes place Aug. 4 at Staples Center in Los Angeles.
McCall, who fell short this past month to Demetrious Johnson, will meet promotional newcomer John Moraga (10-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) in a flyweight bout.
UFC on FOX 4's main card airs live on FOX following preliminary-card fights on FUEL TV and Facebook. McCall vs. Moraga is part of the preliminary card, though it's unknown whether the bout will be seen on FUEL TV or Facebook.
Cristiano Marcello vs. Reza Madadi added to UFC 153 in Brazil
"The Ultimate Fighter 15" cast member Cristiano Marcello (12-4 MMA, 0-1 UFC) will fight in his home country and meet fellow lightweight Reza Madadi (12-2 MMA, 1-0 UFC) at UFC 153.
UFC officials today announced the matchup.
As MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) first reported, UFC 153 is expected to take place Oct. 13 at HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro.
UFC 153's main card, including a headliner between UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo and Erik Koch, airs on pay-per-view. Marcello vs. Madadi will be part of the prelims, which air on FX and stream on Facebook.
UFC wants Cung Le vs. Rich Franklin at UFC on FUEL TV 6 in Macau
If Cung Le (8-2 MMA, 1-1 UFC) is able to fight at UFC on FUEL TV 6 in Macau, it'll be against fellow middleweight Rich Franklin (29-6 MMA, 14-5 UFC).
The fighters initially were slated to fight at UFC 148 until the bout was scrapped to make other matchups.
But if Le is healthy enough to fight at the November event, UFC president Dana White wants to pit him against former champion Franklin.
UFC on FUEL TV 6 takes place Nov. 10 at Cotai Arena, Venetian Macau Resort Hotel in the Chinese special administrative region. The event's main card airs on FUEL TV, and Le vs. Franklin likely would serve as the headliner.
"If he fights in China, he will fight Rich Franklin," White told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).
Jose Aldo vs. Erik Koch set to headline UFC 153 in Brazil
UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo (21-1 MMA, 3-0 UFC) and challenger Erik Koch (13-1 MMA, 2-0 UFC) will meet at UFC 153 in Brazil.
The bout, originally slated to headline this weekend's UFC 149 event before Aldo suffered an injury, now will take place on Oct. 13 at HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro.
- Champ Jose Aldo vs. Erik Koch (for featherweight title)
- Quinton "Rampage" Jackson vs. Glover Teixeira
- Reza Madadi vs. Cristiano Marcello
- Cezar "Mutante" Ferreira vs. TBA
UFC 149's Brian Ebersole happy to stay busy with short-notice fight against James Head
Brian Ebersole could get used to this whole fighting-every-month thing.
The veteran welterweight was coming off a hard-fought unanimous decision win over T.J. Waldburger at UFC on FX 4 this past month in Atlantic City when he got the call that the injury-riddled UFC 149 card could use his help. Naturally, it's a call he answered, and answered with vigor.
Ebersole will fight James Head on Saturday, filling in for the injured Claude Patrick in a bout he took on less than three weeks' notice. And for Ebersole, that's just fine.
Forget Anderson Silva – UFC 149's Hector Lombard wants Mark Munoz after Tim Boetsch
CALGARY, Alberta, Canada – Hector Lombard hasn't even had his first fight in the UFC yet, and he's up to four opponents. Sort of.
Lombard (31-2-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) originally was set to debut against Brian Stann – and then, perhaps, quickly fight middleweight champion Anderson Silva. The Stann fight fell through. He rebooked against Tim Boetsch (15-4 MMA, 6-3 UFC), whom he fights Saturday at UFC 149.
But on Wednesday, he told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) he wants to fight Mark Munoz next – even if the UFC offers him a title shot with Silva.
"Saturday, I'm focused on this fight," Lombard told MMAjunkie.com after a workout session in Calgary. "And after that, I'm going to call Mark Munoz out. I'm focused on the fight, but I'm going to call out Mark Munoz after. That's my goal.
"I'm going to make a statement no matter what. But after that, I'm going to beat up Mark Munoz."
Lombard said Munoz, who a week ago suffered a brutal knockout loss at the hands of Chris Weidman at UFC on FUEL TV 4, has been running his mouth about him. And that, Lombard said, has rubbed him the wrong way.
"He's been talking a lot of trash about me," said Lombard, the former Bellator middleweight champ. "I'm one of those fighters that I don't like to talk about any fighter. I'm focused on myself. When I see people that do the wrong things, I have to do something about it."
Anderson Silva's camp wants Luke Rockhold next, not Hector Lombard or Chris Weidman
FUEL TV's "UFC Tonight" broke down the situation, where they reported some comments that were recently made by Anderson Silva's management.
"One of Anderson Silva's managers said that one of the issues with Hector Lombard is he thinks he needs at least three more impressive wins in the UFC. He said that 85 percent of UFC fans don't even know who Hector Lombard is, who is of course making his Octagon debut on Saturday night."
"As for Chris Weidman, he said, 'Well, there's another great unknown fighter.' He doesn't see those match ups as being money making pay-per-view events."
"He did mention Luke Rockhold, who is the Strikeforce middleweight champion. Alas, Rockhold is contractually tied to Strikeforce, so that fight's not happening. We'll have to wait and see, but right now, the Anderson Silva camp not too excited about the options out there."
'TUF: Brazil' winners Rony 'Jason,' Cezar 'Mutante' expected for UFC 153 in Rio
The first winners of "The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil" have their next fight dates set.
Rony "Jason" Mariano Bezerra (11-3 MMA, 1-0 UFC) and Cezar "Mutante" Ferreira (5-2 MMA, 1-0 UFC) are expected to be a part of the card when the UFC returns to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, in October. UFC officials on Wednesday announced the two fighters' likely inclusion, although opponents weren't named.
Vinny Magalhaes vs Igor Pokrajac at 152
Vinny Magalhaes (9-5 MMA, 0-2 UFC) appears to have an opponent for his UFC return.
Fresh off the news "The Ultimate Fighter 8" runner-up and M-1 champion has re-signed with the promotion, he's now slated to fight fellow light heavyweight Igor Pokrajac (25-8 MMA, 4-3 UFC) at UFC 152.
Sportsnet's Canadian reporter Joe Ferraro first reported the matchup.
UFC 152 takes place Sept. 22 at Toronto's Air Canada Centre. The main card airs on pay-per-view following prelims on FX and Facebook.
Chael Sonnen responds to "Rampage" Jackson: "He should stick to violating female reporters"
Quinton "Rampage" Jackson had some harsh comments toward Chael Sonnen following Sonnen's UFC 148 loss to Anderson Silva. The comments he made to MMA Elite were in part a response to some of the comments Sonnen has levied his way in the past, but it once again brought about more from "The American Gangster."
Sonnen served as a guest analyst on Tuesday's new edition of "UFC Tonight" program, and in typical Sonnen fashion he addressed what Jackson said about him.
"Rampage has one fight left in the UFC and he isn't fighting me," Sonnen said. "I give you that answer because I am sitting here wearing my fancy suit, with an ear piece on and I have been branded an analyst on the number one UFC show on TV today."
"But if you had asked me outside, in my kingdom and I was wearing my sponsor's shirt, I would have told him that he should stick to violating female reporters," Sonnen said. "He should stick to making box office disasters and driving the wrong way on the freeway ramped up on Mountain Dew, because he's not on my level. But, you didn't ask me outside, you asked me inside. So let's keep this professional, I don't want to get that message out there."