Bisping Heads To Specialist For Serious Nerve Problem
Michael Bisping has revealed to ESPN that he may require surgery to correct a nerve problem that is causing atrophy, a condition that sees the wasting away of muscle tissue.
Bisping heads to a specialist on Tuesday regarding the issue, which has severely weakened his right arm. He hopes to cure the problem ahead of his April 27 fight with Alan Belcher.
Frankie Edgar eyeing five-round UFC main event fight against Cub Swanson next
Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) lightweight champion and featherweight title challenger Frankie Edgar is looking to get back in the win column sooner than later, and "The Answer" believes Cub Swanson is the right man to help get him there.
On Tuesday's edition of "UFC Tonight" on FUEL TV, correspondent Ariel Helwani reported the New Jersey native would like to fight Swanson in a five-round UFC main event on a FUEL TV or FX card later this year.
Edgar (15-4-1) is riding a career-worst three-fight losing streak after back-to-back defeats to current 155-pound champion Ben Henderson and then a subsequent loss to featherweight champ Jose Aldo at UFC 156 in his 145-pound debut earlier this month.
The 31-year-old gave Aldo arguably his toughest fight to date and is eager to climb back up the 145-pound ladder in hopes of earning a rematch with "Scarface" in the near future.
A victory over Swanson would be a good start.
Swanson (19-5) is on the upswing in the featherweight division, riding a four-fight win-streak that includes a unanimous decision win over Dustin Poirier at UFC on FUEL TV 7 in England. Prior to the victory, the Greg Jackson-trained athlete had earned three consecutive technical-knockout victories, catapulting himself up the rankings at UFC 145.
Edgar is currently the No. 4 featherweight in the official UFC rankings, while Swanson sits at No. 5.
Usually booking a mixed martial arts (MMA) match up between a fighter on a three-fight skid and a fighter on a four-fight win-streak would seem illogical, but in this instance it isn't entirely unrealistic.
Helwani also mentioned that if a main event fight with Swanson doesn't pan out, Edgar would be willing to fight him -- or German juggernaut Dennis Siver -- at UFC 160, which is scheduled for May 25, 2013, in Las Vegas.
Cerrone vs Noons added to 160
Donald Cerrone will return to the Octagon later this year, taking on former Strikeforce fighter K.J. Noons at UFC 160: Velasquez Vs. Silva II. The bout was announced on UFC Tonight Tuesday.
Nate Marquardt steps in to meet Jake Ellenberger at UFC 158 in Montreal
Former Strikeforce welterweight champion Nate Marquardt (32-11-2 MMA, 10-4 UFC) will meet Jake Ellenberger (28-6 MMA, 7-2 UFC) at UFC 158, a source close to the event told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) on Monday evening.
Marquardt fills a spot left vacant by Johny Hendricks, who was tapped to meet onetime UFC title challenger Carlos Condit when Rory MacDonald was forced to withdraw from the event due to injury.
Marquardt vs. Ellenberger still serves on the March 16 event's pay-per-view main card, which follows prelims on FX and Facebook.
UFC 158 takes place at Montreal's Bell Centre.
'Nervous' Tito explains bungled press conference
Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Light Heavyweight Champion, Tito Ortiz, was undoubtedly a great mixed martial arts (MMA) fighter during his tenure with the promotion.
Now that he's turned his attention to the management side of the business, he, admittedly, has some work to do when it comes to his public speaking skills. A tongue-tied Tito admitted on "The MMA Hour" he was rather nervous having to go live and says the stresses of setting up the press conference all by his lonesome only added to the pressure.
"Yes, I'm happy, just because I wanted to let (everyone) know the future of Cris Cyborg and what she is going to be doing. That was my main goal, just letting people know what she is going to be doing. But, in general? No, not really. I think I got some work to do, but, you know, (I) set up the whole press conference myself, literally. From the stage, the podium to the banners to the PR, press, everything, the people being there, I kind of put a little too much on my plate. And to go live TV on AXS television, this is as nervous as I've ever been with anything I've ever done with anything about mixed martial arts and I was so nervous because instead of holding my career, I'm holding someone else's career. I'll get better in time, as Dana White said. I'll get better. I just got to do a little more work and just make sure to get more comfortable on live television. I'm just so used to doing it during fights. You don't have nervousness after fights because your emotions are high. But making sure you say the right things for people to understand you, it's going to take a little work for me I guess. It's just time for me to slow down and explore exactly what I'm trying to say. It's going to take work and I will get better."
Condit vs. Hendricks UFC 158 Co-Main Event Set
With Rory MacDonald forced off the UFC 158 fight card because of an injury, the mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion has plugged in Johny Hendricks, leaving Jake Ellenberger momentarily without a dance partner at Bell Centre in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, on March 16, 2013.
Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) tonight announced the fight card Welterweight shake up shortly after news broke (read more on that here) that "Ares" had no other choice but to bow out of the planned rematch with "Natural Born Killer" that he requested, and received, after defeating B.J. Penn.
It apparently just wasn't meant to be this time around.
Condit, meanwhile, is coming off a loss to division champion Georges St. Pierre, who returned from a serious knee injury to unify the 170-pound belt at UFC 154 via unanimous decision in Dec. 2012. Hendricks, on the other hand, was forced into the Ellenberger bout because Nick Diaz was gifted a title shot even though "Bigg Rigg" was the rightful No. 1 division contender.
Barnett Wanted UFC Contract Similar To Alvarez
According to Barnett, who gave a statement via his manager to Ariel Helwani on "The MMA Hour," he was more than happy to face "Cigano" in his re-debut for the UFC; however, the contract wasn't up to his standards because the longtime veteran says he should have at least received an offer similar to that of what Eddie Alvarez was offered.
"I was excited to fight Junior. I thought he was a favorable match up for me, but Zuffa was unwilling to give me something that they gave Eddie Alvarez. No disrespect to Eddie, but I felt it was fair to give it to me as well. Although things seem to be working out well for me, I feel bad for the fans. They wanted me to fight certain guys in the UFC and I really wanted to give them those fights. Once we get the deal we are working on done, the fight the fans scream for will be lost forever."
According to this this report, Alvarez was scheduled to get paid $75,000 to show and another $75, 000 to win purse, including a cut of the pay-per-view (PPV) buys at UFC 159 in which he stood to make an additional $1 for every buy between 200,000 to 400,000 units, $2 for each buy sold between 400,000 to 600,000 units and $2.50 for each buy sold over 600,000 units.
$5 can buy Twizzlers, not Ronda Rousey's privates
Someone tell Hef to put his checkbook away. UFC Women's Bantamweight Champion Ronda Rousey isn't getting "Rowdy" for her fans, no matter how much money Playboy is offering.
"I'd say, ‘No.' No one should be able to see my cash and prizes for $5, okay? I don't care how much money they gave me. I don't really see myself as a sex symbol because ever since people have started calling me a sex symbol, I haven't had a lot of sex in my life. Like, it's just, it's not really working out great for me. But, yeah, people bring that up all the time. I'm like, ‘Look, you're right. I probably get more attention fighting because of how I look. But if I didn't know how to fight and I just looked the way I did, no one would know who I am.' "
Rory Macdonald forced to withdraw from UFC 158 due to injury; no replacement signed yet
The highly-anticipated Rory MacDonald vs. Carlos Condit rematch is off.
According to multiple sources close to the fight, MacDonald suffered an undisclosed injury in training recently, which has forced the young Canadian fighter to withdraw from his fight against Condit at UFC 158.
No opponent has been signed to replace MacDonald against Condit next month. As of now, he is still expected to compete on the card...
Dana White Says Fighters Use TRT to Cheat
“If you asked me three months ago, it’s legal. It’s sports science, but everybody figures out a way to take a great thing and cheat and make it bad,” said White.
“Those of you who know what testosterone replacement is, if you’re older, your testosterone starts to get lower. They can give you testosterone to get you back up to (the level of) a 25-year-old. What guys are doing, I believe guys are doing, is jacking up this stuff through the roof through their entire training camp then getting back down to normal levels right before the fight, which is cheating. I hate it. I don’t like it. I’m going to fight it. And if you are using TRT in the UFC, we’re going to start testing the (expletive) out of you, through your entire camp,” White added.
Report: Miesha Tate and Cat Zingano pulled from UFC Sweden card over political concerns
Saturday MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani tweeted the following bit of news Saturday:
Mayday is now sitting where he belongs. Dana says no co-main yet for 4/6. I was told it was gonna be Miesha-Cat, but that was moved to 4/13.
Helwani is referring to Miesha Tate vs. Cat Zingano which will be on The Ultimate Fighter 17 Finale on April 13 in Las Vegas, Nevada and not UFC on Fuel TV 9: Gustafsson vs. Mousasi, where it would have co-mained the card.
Cruz: My game will ruin Barao
Dominick Cruz dismissed the threat of Renan Barao after watching the Brazilian beat Michael McDonald in Saturday's main event at UFC London.
Barao chalked up his 30th straight win with a fourth-round submission, defending his interim bantamweight title in the process. Now he must wait to see if Cruz will be fit to offer his next challenge.
Current champion Cruz is recovering from a serious knee injury, but watched Barao's impressive performance with interest. In his opinion, Barao's gameplan will completely fail when the pair share an Octagon.