Luiz Cane released from UFC contract
Luiz Cane entered UFC 153 in a must-win position. After losing three of four at light heavyweight, the Brazilian striker decided to drop to the middleweight division and was matched up with Chris Camozzi. Unfortunately for him, he dropped a unanimous decision. And according to his manager Alex Davis (via Tatame), he has been released from his UFC contract as well. Davis also said that Cane has had to undergo two knee surgeries lately and that he will be back with some wins outside the organization.
Olympic gold medalist Jeff Blatnick dies
NISKAYUNA - NewsChannel13 has confirmed that Olympic gold medalist Jeff Blatnick from Niskayuna has died following complications from heart surgery.
Sad day for MMA this guy was one of the biggest proponents for MMA in the dark days.
Replacement Marcus LeVesseur meets Michael Chiesa at UFC on FOX 5
A broken hand has forced lightweight Rafaello Oliveira to withdraw from UFC on FOX 5, but he's been replaced.
Stepping in for the Brazilian is Marcus LeVesseur (22-6 MMA, 1-1 UFC), who is set to meet "The Ultimate Fighter 15" winner Michael Chiesa (8-0 MMA, 1-0 UFC), sources close to the event told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).
The new matchup serves on the FUEL TV-televised prelims of the event, which takes place Dec. 8 at KeyArena in Seattle. Main-card fights air on FOX.
MMAjunkie.com passed along news of Oliveira's injury earlier today, though his replacement wasn't known at the time.
Earlier this month, LeVesseur won a hard-fought split decision over Carlo Prater at UFC on FX 5, which put him back on the right track after his octagon debut at UFC on FUEL TV 3 ended in a first-round submission loss to Cody McKenzie. Boasting an amateur wrestling record of 155-0, LeVesseur notably outpointed current Bellator welterweight champ Ben Askren on the mats at Augsburg College.
Josh Koscheck calls out Nick Diaz and Demian Maia for 2013 return to UFC
Josh Koscheck is coming back to UFC in 2013 and he's already got a handful of opponents in mind for his Octagon return, including Nick Diaz, Jake Ellenberger, Rory MacDonald and Demian Maia.
Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) welterweight number one contender Josh Koscheck has been to the promised land once before. Sure, he came up short in his bid to dethrone Georges St. Pierre at UFC 124, but he's not getting any younger.
And he doesn't have time to dick around with the middle of the pack.
UFC targeting Rashad Evans vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira for Super Bowl weekend
According to Brazil's SporTV, former UFC light heavyweight champion Rashad Evans will return to the Octagon on Super Bowl weekend and face off with Antonio Rogerio Nogueira.
While the UFC hasn't officially announced the bout, a source close to the fight confirmed to MMAFighting.com on Wednesday that the bout is under serious consideration for a planned Feb. 2 event in Las Vegas.
If the fight is finalized, it would mark Evans' first bout since losing a unanimous decision to champion Jon Jones on April 21. The loss snapped a four-fight win streak for the 33-year-old Evans (17-2-1).
Hand injury forces Rafaello Oliveira out of UFC on FOX 5, Michael Chiesa bout
"The Ultimate Fighter 15" winner Michael Chiesa (8-0 MMA, 1-0 UFC) will need a new opponent for his first post-"TUF" bout.
Lightweight opponent Rafaello Oliveira (15-5 MMA, 2-4 UFC) suffered a broken hand in training and has pulled out of their scheduled UFC on FOX 5 meeting.
Oliveira and Chiesa tweeted news of the injury, though UFC officials haven't formally removed it from the December card.
Fabio Maldonado camp: 'Toughest SOB on UFC roster' considering drop to middleweight
After enduring a brutal assault from top light heavyweight contender Glover Teixeira, Fabio Maldonado is at least considering a drop to 185 pounds.
Maldonado's manager, Alex Davis, said that his client hasn't yet made a commitment to middleweight, but he's certainly considering the option.
"Maldonado has been relying on his capability to withstand punishment, and it caught up with him," Davis told MMAjunkie.com. "Now I'm hearing he wants to drop to 185 pounds. I think it could be a good move."
Pat Barry vs. Shane Del Rosario targeted for December's TUF 16 Finale in Las Vegas
A battle between a pair of heavyweights has been added to the slate for the TUF 16 Finale.
Pat Barry and Shane Del Rosario are targeted for a meeting in December. Sources with knowledge of the fight booking on Tuesday confirmed the matchup to MMAjunkie.com.
The Ultimate Fighter 16 Finale takes place Dec. 15 at The Joint at the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas with a main event between TUF 16 coaches Shane Carwin and Roy Nelson.
Cutting to 155 from 'a little too much,' UFC champ Henderson fights future move to 170
If Benson Henderson were in the throes of a weight cut, a night at a restaurant would be one of those experiences filed under "Reasons why it sucks to be an MMA fighter."
There's a little less than two months until his title fight with Nate Diaz, however, and Henderson has the freedom to be a little more liberal than usual with his diet.
He polishes off an entree, finishes a neglected appetizer and orders dessert during an interview at Elliott's Oyster House in Seattle.
UFC's Chad Mendes has battery count dropped, pleads no contest to lesser charge
After two months, Chad Mendes' legal ordeal is over.
The onetime UFC featherweight title challenger on Monday had a battery charge against him dropped in Hanford, Calif. Instead, according to reports, Mendes pled no contest to a lesser public disturbance charge, paid a fine and was released.
Mendes (12-1 MMA, 3-1 UFC) is scheduled to meet Hacran Dias (21-1-1 MMA, 1-0 UFC) at UFC on FX 6 in December.
The Team Alpha Male fighter was charged in late August with battery for allegedly sucker punching a man during a July 29 bar fight in Hanford. The charge carried a possible $2,000 fine and up to six months in county jail.
According to the "Hanford Sentinel," Kings County Sheriff's deputies say Mendes "sucker punched a man in the face" at a local bar during the July incident.
"I have said from the beginning that the ridiculous allegations published by the media were either false or incredibly sensationalized. Today’s outcome proves it," Mendes stated in the widely reported release.
UFC Lightweight Anthony Pettis hospitalized with infection
Things keep going from bad to worse for Lightweight Anthony Pettis. Following UFC 144 where he knocked out Joe Lauzon and current champion Ben Henderson won a decision over Frankie Edgar, the masses were calling for the two fighters to rematch. Unfortunately for "Showtime", Edgar was granted a rematch in his stead. Pettis underwent shoulder surgery in the meantime while getting into a twitter feud with Donald Cerrone. There were talks that the two would coach TUF 17 and meet afterward, but that plan was scrapped in favor of Chael Sonnen vs. Jon Jones. Instead, they were expected to meet in January. Now, that may too be in jeopardy.
AXS TV's Inside MMA caught the story tonight and announced via Twitter:
BREAKING NEWS - @showtimepettis hospitalized with an infection in his elbow in the same arm as his surgically repaired shoulder
— Inside MMA (@InsideMMAaxstv) October 23, 2012
UFC 155 card official for December 29th, tickets on sale this week
And here's a look at the current card:
Junior Dos Santos (15-1) vs. Cain Velasquez (9-1) [HW Title]
Forrest Griffin (19-7) vs. Phil Davis (10-1, 1 NC)
Tim Boetsch (16-4) vs. Chris Weidman (9-0)
Joe Lauzon (22-7) vs. Gray Maynard (11-1-1, 1 NC)
Alan Belcher (18-6) vs. Yushin Okami (27-7)
Chris Leben (22-8) vs. Karlos Vemola (9-3)
Matt Mitrione (5-1) vs. Philip De Fries (9-1, 1 NC)
Ricardo Lamas (12-2) vs. Erik Koch (13-1)
Brad Pickett (22-6) vs. Eddie Wineland (19-8-1)
Erik Perez (12-4) vs. Byron Bloodworth (6-2)
Franklin opts against TRT ahead of bout
In this testosterone replacement therapy-infused age of mixed martial arts, Rich Franklin is a prime candidate to receive the treatment.
He’s been at this physically demanding sport now for more than 12 years. At 38, he’s at an age where his natural testosterone levels inevitably decline. He’s sore in the morning when he wakes up and his recovery time is noticeably longer.
Franklin, though, says there are several reasons why he is not on TRT for his fight against Cung Le on Nov. 10, which will headline the UFC on Fuel event in Macau, China.
Rich Franklin Explains Why He is the UFC’s “Company Man”
If there was a list of fighters in the UFC under the Zuffa era that the company would always stand behind no matter what, a few names would surely be etched into eternity.
Forrest Griffin and Stephan Bonnar would quickly get added after their fight helped launch the UFC to a whole new stratosphere during The Ultimate Fighter season 1 finale. Former UFC light heavyweight champion Chuck Liddell will always be remembered for his title reign, and as the face of the company when they finally hit the big time.
Matt Hughes would likely gain the same kind of favor for his performances inside the Octagon and sticking by the UFC no matter what.
If there was another name that would surely be added to that list, it would be former UFC middleweight champion Rich Franklin.
On more than a few occasions, Franklin has stepped up when the company needed him.
Brad Pickett vs. Eddie Wineland added to UFC 155 in Las Vegas
A bantamweight bout between Brad Pickett (22-6 MMA, 2-1 UFC) and former WEC champion Eddie Wineland (19-8-1 MMA, 1-2 UFC) has been added to the year-end UFC 155 event.
Pickett today announced the fight.
UFC 155 takes place Dec. 29 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.
The night's main card, including a heavyweight title fight between champion Junior Dos Santos and ex-champ Cain Velasquez, airs on pay-per-view. Pickett vs. Wineland likely will be part of the prelims, which FX and Facebook are expected to carry.
Erik Koch vs. Ricardo Lamas agreed for UFC 155
The UFC doesn't have another event for three weeks, so for the time being they're rolling out a laundry list of scheduled fights, including a key featherweight matchup this December. Erik Koch, who has twice been unable to fight Jose Aldo for the title, faces off against rising contender Ricardo Lamas at UFC 155 in Las Vegas. News of this fight was reported by MMA Opinion:
It looks like Ricardo Lamas vs Erik "New Breed" Koch has been agreed for UFC 155.
— MMA Opinion (@MMA_Opinion) October 20, 2012
Nick Diaz Will Get Top Contender Not GSP/Condit Winner When He Returns in 2013
When Nick Diaz is eligible to re-apply for a fight license in February 2013, a top fight in the UFC welterweight division will be awaiting him, but it won’t be a title fight.
Diaz lost his last bout by unanimous decision to current UFC interim welterweight champion Carlos Condit. He was then suspended by the Nevada State Athletic Commission after testing positive for marijuana following the bout.
Because it was his second infraction for the same substance, Diaz was handed a one-year suspension by the commission. The suspension runs through Feb. 4, 2013.